Thiago Almada. United linked to 'New Messi'

Mark Pawelek

Alessio Alaimo claims United are trying to get Velez (Argentina) attacking midfielder Thiago Almada, 19, for €18m. He's contracted till June 2023 with a reported release clause of €25m. I think he plays a bit like Angel Gomes. Can play anywhere in attack apart from centre forward. Very good close control and dribbling. Keeps the ball close to his body. Not super quick but has a delightful change of direction to glide past players. Was 15th in the recent list of world's top 50 teenagers.

Is Alaimo considered reliable? Would come a bit out of nowhere, but I love a South American wonderkid (who doesn't). We don't tend to make these cheaper signings out of South America so would be exciting, although I don't know how many minutes he would get unless he can deputize on the wing (or we finally get rid of Lingard and Pereira). Looks a great little player though

Mark Pawelek

Is Alaimo considered reliable? Would come a bit out of nowhere, but I love a South American wonderkid (who doesn't). We don't tend to make these cheaper signings out of South America so would be exciting, although I don't know how many minutes he would get unless he can deputize on the wing (or we finally get rid of Lingard and Pereira). Looks a great little player though
His article goes into detail: release clause, how much we reportedly offered. I doubt he made it up entirely. Whether someone he trusts is spinning a yarn is another matter. He tweeted it as well.

SAFMUTD

Havent seen anything from him but has a potential of 88 in fifa and is one of the wonderkids in FM, not that it counts for shit but at least its highly rated.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Wasn’t he linked to City not long ago?

These guys could be getting their ‘Manchester’s’ mixed up!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Also, a potential 18m signing of a Vélez player probably shouldn’t be in the reserve forum. If such a deal were to happen, it would not be for the academy!

Ace of Spades

Also, a potential 18m signing of a Vélez player probably shouldn’t be in the reserve forum. If such a deal were to happen, it would not be for the academy!
This too, if we buy him he won't be playing in the academy.

Andersonson

According to the video his only weakness is aerial duels... After seeing a handful of times even i've picked up a few more.

But a huge talent, sign him up!

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Love me those fm wonderkid bargains. He looks pretty good in the video. No reason why he can’t grow into a good player but not sure he’s going to get enough minutes here. I wish we were in for more of these South American prospects but I understand work permits are a hassle. I’m also enjoying being constantly linked with good young players even if it’s just media tosh to drive up his price/contract. It gives me hope there is a proper rebuild for the future going on behind the scenes and we are at least identifying the better players in a market that is good value for money as long as you are spotting the right ones.

izec

When was the last time we bought a highly rated south american immediatley from south america? We never seem to go that route, so i don't think we will buy him. We sometimes buy youth players on the cheap, but never the high rated ones that play there already in the first team.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Anyone find it amusing that if he does come, he's likely going to be helped to settle by Aguero and Otomendi?

Our own Romero, too, then again, do we reckon the 3 of them intermingle?

Le Red

Pretty much every year in Argentina someone is dubbed the new Messi.
Pretty easy way to rise a player's market value.

Drifter

American
He's young .he's Argentinian and he's linked to Man Utd = The new Messi.

izec

Anyone find it amusing that if he does come, he's likely going to be helped to settle by Aguero and Otomendi?

Our own Romero, too, then again, do we reckon the 3 of them intermingle?
the Spanish speakers intermingle from both teams i what i think i read. De Gea is also close to Aguero

Nick7

New Messi at 19 years old? Messi was tearing up La Liga by that age, this kid is past it.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Remember similar links with Lo Celso before his PSG move - unless he has an Italian passport I doubt we'd be his first destination in Europe.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
When was the last time we bought a highly rated south american immediatley from south america? We never seem to go that route, so i don't think we will buy him. We sometimes buy youth players on the cheap, but never the high rated ones that play there already in the first team.
Just because of work permits

Web of Bissaka

When has the many previous "new-new youngsters" actually became what they're suppose to be.. ?

Never.

Have to admit it's an effective strategy by agents, clubs and press (and whoever else) though in terms of reputations, clicks/attentions and prices.

Ekeke

Do want

Can play AM and usually does but I've seen him play CM and help win the ball too shortly before the corona lockdown

He's obviously not the new Messi. But he's a good young talent and maybe Argentina's best atm

As mentioned work permit will be a problem

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
When has the many previous "new-new youngsters" actually became what they're suppose to be.. ?

Never.

Have to admit it's an effective strategy by agents, clubs and press (and whoever else) though in terms of reputations, clicks/attentions and prices.
Messi was the new Maradona

Brightonian

Never.

I doubt anyone actually in the game ever bothers much making or listening to these comparisons. It's a media and fan thing, and therefore basically harmless, much as it seems to rub people up the wrong way.