Thiago Almada. United linked to 'New Messi'

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Am I right in thinking there hasn’t been a new Messi for a while?
Dybala was the last one.

Didn't live up to the hype but still developed into a very good player. Then again, there's a big gap between being a very good player (like Dybala) and being Messi.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Do want

Can play AM and usually does but I've seen him play CM and help win the ball too shortly before the corona lockdown

He's obviously not the new Messi. But he's a good young talent and maybe Argentina's best atm

As mentioned work permit will be a problem
Interesting, so he can play as both forward and midfielder.

He's also Argentinian.

New Di Stefano? :wenger:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Most players who are projected to be the "new anything", tends to fall flat.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Imagine being billed as the next Lingard then :nervous:
Being slotted to have a career in Manchester United feels like a nice compliment doesn't it?

Every time someone is the next something, I always think about the next Pele, Freddy Adu. He's now 30 and plays in for KuPS (Kuopion Palloseura) in the Finnish top division, on a stadium with a maximum capacity of 3500. Still became a professional footballer, but I'm sure he imagined it somewhat differently in his teenage years.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Being slotted to have a career in Manchester United feels like a nice compliment doesn't it?

Every time someone is the next something, I always think about the next Pele, Freddy Adu. He's now 30 and plays in for KuPS (Kuopion Palloseura) in the Finnish top division, on a stadium with a maximum capacity of 3500. Still became a professional footballer, but I'm sure he imagined it somewhat differently in his teenage years.
Aye, there are plenty worse things for a footballer than playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world! And have a decent international career (or stats anyway).

The hype around Adu was unreal, yeah.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Aye, there are plenty worse things for a footballer than playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world! And have a decent international career (or stats anyway).

The hype around Adu was unreal, yeah.
The hype around Adu was largely because he was American tbh. And to be fair to him, he was playing pro football at like 14 or something.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The hype around Adu was largely because he was American tbh. And to be fair to him, he was playing pro football at like 14 or something.
Yeah, agreed. It also (sort of) coincided with the rise of the popularity of soccer in the States, and they were most probably desperate for a golden boy.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
There's a lot of talk from people connected to the family that he is around 4 years older than his official records show. This makes sense as to his dominance at a youth level but his inability to develop much further.

SweetRightFoot

There's a lot of talk from people connected to the family that he is around 4 years older than his official records show. This makes sense as to his dominance at a youth level but his inability to develop much further.
Adu came to America at a young age from Ghana, verrrrry likely that they said he was younger to get him into school at a younger age so he wouldn't be behind the class rather than it being football orientated. Quick check on his wikipedia says when in Ghana (before 8 years old) he was playing football with men 3 times his age! Make of that what you will!

SAFMUTD

Same case as Obafemi Martines distroying Serie A with inter when he was “17“ and declined massively when “26” and started going from club to club in lower leagues.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I watched Adu play at age 13 against Italy U17. He literally destroyed them. It was like watching Ronaldo against a championship game type of humiliation. Its not rare for the most promising kids not to make it and viceversa. Pogba wasn't the star of our academy, Ravel was. Meanwhile a certain David Platt was allowed to leave our academy because we thought that he was pretty shite.

I think Adu was ruined by hype and his mum. She kept him in the US at a time when he needed to leave the US, join a decent youth academy and be coached by the best coaches in the world.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I watched Adu play at age 13 against Italy U17. He literally destroyed them. It was like watching Ronaldo against a championship game type of humiliation. Its not rare for the most promising kids not to make it and viceversa. Pogba wasn't the star of our academy, Ravel was. Meanwhile a certain David Platt was allowed to leave our academy because we thought that he was pretty shite.

I think Adu was ruined by hype and his mum. She kept him in the US at a time when he needed to leave the US, join a decent youth academy and be coached by the best coaches in the world.
Yep, he got a massive nike sponsorship at 13 IIRC, so must have just thought he made it. Flash forward 10 years and he's tweeting pictures of himself with cordless hoovers for money. Quite sad really.

Skills

Snitch
I think we established a few years ago, that is was paramount that we sign the next Messi. So what are we waiting for?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yep, he got a massive nike sponsorship at 13 IIRC, so must have just thought he made it. Flash forward 10 years and he's tweeting pictures of himself with cordless hoovers for money. Quite sad really.
I live in a country were football is loved but is not taken seriously. Whenever some talented kid ask for advice it's always the same ie leave the islands. Forget family, forget the chance of first team football at an early age, just leave. Nothing beats the decades of experience youth coaches have and the resources an EPL/Serie A/Bundesliga/La Liga/Dutch clubs have. Sure unless you're a top top top talent you might want to avoid clubs like Real were competition for a first team place is ridiculously high. But if one has the opportunity he must leave

Very few listened and had ended big fish in a ridiculous small pool, boasting how they played against this or that top players when trashed with the national team. Two did. One was Mifsud who scored 2 goals against us with Coventry. The other was Bojinov parents who played with clubs like City and Juve

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I live in a country were football is loved but is not taken seriously. Whenever some talented kid ask for advice it's always the same ie leave the islands. Forget family, forget the chance of first team football at an early age, just leave. Nothing beats the decades of experience youth coaches have and the resources an EPL/Serie A/Bundesliga/La Liga/Dutch clubs have. Sure unless you're a top top top talent you might want to avoid clubs like Real were competition for a first team place is ridiculously high. But if one has the opportunity he must leave

Very few listened and had ended big fish in a ridiculous small pool, boasting how they played against this or that top players when trashed with the national team. Two did. One was Mifsud who scored 2 goals against us with Coventry. The other was Bojinov parents who played with clubs like City and Juve
I didn't know Bojinov grew up in Malta, good factoid that!

Lentwood

Never heard of him before today so all I have seen is the YouTube compilations, however, Messi looks a strange comparison to me!

I don’t know whether it’s just because he wears 23 but I immediately thought “Beckham”. Doesn’t seem that quick but seems to be able to really whip crosses and free kicks in at pace and also loves a cross-field pass.

Looks a talent but not what I was expecting at all

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Any young player that comes to our first team needs to be ready to play a lot of games or ready to sit out a lot of them but still somehow improve.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

izec

so was:
Diego Latore
Ariel Ortega
Marcello Gallardo
Juan Riquelme
Pablo Aimir
Javier Saviola
Carlos Martinelli
Andres D'Alesandro
Carlos Tevez
Sergio Aguero
Eziquiel Lavezzi
Mauro Zarate
Diego Buonanotte
Diego Sinagra
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1342092-the-history-of-the-next-maradonas-and-how-they-fared
He probably means the one who turned out to be like Maradona, in the same GOAT class. The others were touted that and some did exceptional, but still didn't reach or surpass that level.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
:lol: so this isn't on then.
I'm sure our scouts are keeping an eye on him, but this "fichajes" source literally says the MEN are saying he's an alternative if we don't sign Sancho.

I guess this guy is just clickbaiting for his website or he hasn't read it properly, but it certainly doesn't seem close from that.

izec

The odds are against it anyway. We probably buy 1 in 50 South Americans playing there we get linked with