Thiago Silva and Edinson Cavani to leave PSG...

sherrinford

At least our fanbase has learnt its lesson, 6 months ago this thread would have been full of people desperate for their signatures, I know people wanted Cavani then which was mad.
There’s nothing wrong with bringing in good experienced players on a free if the club goes about it the right way - no ridulous wages or 5 year contracts.

Judas

Open to offers
There’s nothing wrong with bringing in good experienced players on a free if the club goes about it the right way - no ridulous wages or 5 year contracts.
Yeah good experienced players who make sense (Ighalo prime example), these two clearly do not, and anyone who thinks otherwise has lost the plot.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Why would you prefer we address a squad place ahead of a starting centre back berth?
Because as much as I dislike lindelof, Bailly is fit again and could do a job til we upgrade. Or he might step up.

Lingard/mata/pareirra get too much game time and I’m concerned if Bruno or Pogba get injured

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Because as much as I dislike lindelof, Bailly is fit again and could do a job til we upgrade. Or he might step up.

Lingard/mata/pareirra get too much game time and I’m concerned if Bruno or Pogba get injured
Or Smalling, I still don't agree with his detractors. He is a bit "grabby" but he has been a good PL defender for almost the entirety of his career at United.

sherrinford

Yeah good experienced players who make sense (Ighalo prime example), these two clearly do not, and anyone who thinks otherwise has lost the plot.
Are the two of them completely finished are they? I struggle to imagine Thiago Silva not being a good player even at 36.

I’m not sure that will be the same this or next season. Solskjaer didn’t seem confident in either Matic or Fred at the start of the season but by the time everything was suspended he had them in the side against Man City despite McTominay returning four games earlier. Pereira and Lingard have went the other way, being increasingly marginalised as the season went on. I would be surprised if we saw much of either over slightly tweaking the system to accommodate any combination of Matic, Fred and McTominay in the event that Pogba or Fernandes are injured or rotated out.

JPRouve

Scout
Are the two of them completely finished are they? I struggle to imagine Thiago Silva not being a good player even at 36.
Cavani can stay fit and he lost a lot of the grinta that made him special. Thiago Silva is far from his physical peak and avoids physical battles which was one of the things that made him special, he could bully anyone at his peak.

davidmichael

How long does Ighalo's loan give us? Surely not the whole of next season?

I'd definitely take Cavani for a year if we could get him. Probably going to Atletico though.
I think Ighalo is on loan until the end of this season and there’s room for negotiation with his Chinese team but if we get Sancho we’ll have Rashford, Sancho, Martial, Greenwood, Mata, James, Gomes, Chong, Lingard unless he’s sold and Sanchez as a worst case scenario all vying for three spots or if it’s a 4-2-3-1 then you throw Fernandes and Pereira into that group too.

If Cavani had anything left then I don’t think PSG would have let him go as even though they’ve just signed Icardi they’re not really strong in depth up top outside of their starting trio with Mbappe and Neymar and an injury to one or both of those leaves them in trouble, letting Cavani go rather than keep him around as back up in a league they have sewn up says a lot to me.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Thiago Silva is a player I have tremendous amount of respect for. For me, overcoming adversity is the most admirable trait a human being can have. And boy was Silva subjected to excruciating difficult times. Neglected by his biological father in his adolescence was bad enough, but to be the unlucky recipient that contacted tuberculosis is absolutely grim. He was given an ultimatum to either allow the doctors to cut a hole in his lung to increase his chances of survival, or to go against the advice of medical staff. A precarious situation which is close to home, as my Uncle was in a similar situation. He went with the advice of the doctors, and didn't come back. Silva went against the advise of the experts

He's a fantastic example that progression isn't linear. At one of his trials for Flamengo, he was told that he had no ceiling in football. From Brazil to Russia, and back to Brazil, and then given another shot in Europe by going to Milan is a real journey.

I really enjoyed his battle with Mbappe and Lewandowski as well as Messi as Milito

At one point I thought he would either be Kompany's partner, or off to Barcelona. Its a pity the French league is viewed with disdain in some circles. When I see Thiago Silva's name mentioned online on various platforms nowadays, its often followed with people diminishing his efforts with comments in the ilk of "if he was really that good he wouldn't have ended up in a farmers league"

I wonder what his next move will be

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Look we've turned the corner from these sort of signings now, we're happy buying potential and players that will give 110% for the shirt.

These finished over the hill players of global superstars hoping for a payday can walk on bye as were done with that system now.
That's rich considering for the last 5 years our top performers in terms of attitude and passion are Zlatan Ibrahimovic, a 35 years old journeman.

He's the only one that doesn't want a mercy contract, he'd rather not get one while injured rather than getting paid for nothing (cough... Jones)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can't be slower than Lindelof and Maguire?
Just about, I reckon. Lindelof is about as useful as cabbage but I think he has only just got the edge on a 36 year old.

sherrinford

Cavani can stay fit and he lost a lot of the grinta that made him special. Thiago Silva is far from his physical peak and avoids physical battles which was one of the things that made him special, he could bully anyone at his peak.
Silva at his physical peak was probably the third best defender I’ve ever seen, but he always played with remarkable intelligence hence why I struggle to imagine him not being a good defender. Is Lindelof really a better player right now?

Judas

Open to offers
Throwing a 36 year old into the PL for the first time, after playing in the french league for years, playing for a club most likely purely for the money. Yeah great idea. Lindelof is terrible, that's not me defending him, I'd never do that.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Or Smalling, I still don't agree with his detractors. He is a bit "grabby" but he has been a good PL defender for almost the entirety of his career at United.
I’d take him back in a heartbeat. He’d compliment maguire perfectly. I don’t understand why he’s being frozen out. It can’t be just because he’s not good at passing. He’s a very good defender

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Cavani’s playstyle was bound to catch up with him. I’m sure his intensity and work rate in games contributed to a lot of his injuries now

Judas

Open to offers
Smalling being frozen out when you look at the dross we have on our books will never make any sense to me. It must have been a case of him being the only one getting attention and him not being happy to be a bit part player. He's comfortably better than Lindelof, always has been.

JPRouve

Scout
Cavani’s playstyle was bound to catch up with him. I’m sure his intensity and work rate in games contributed to a lot of his injuries now
It's mainly that he isn't a spring chicken and he has played a lot of football while giving 100% in every games. I wouldn't say that his past is the cause of his injuries but his present is, you can't play like that at 32-33 years old when you have never been given much rest during your career.

Deery

Dreary
Don’t see the relevance. I’m not saying I’d like one or the other. I’d like us to upgrade the cb position if we can but after addressing the RW/RCF and a replacement for the lingard/mata squad place. Then CB
Fair enough, not trying to trap you or anything just asking.
I’d like to see the same changes too, probably in that order as well.

Judas

Open to offers
Ighalo and Cavani would cost the same outlay and Cavani has always and still is twice the player Ighalo is.
I'd rather have Ighalo all day long. Maybe Cavani 5 years ago. Ighalo wants to play for our club, and you see it in everything he does. Cavani just isn't comparable in that aspect. I don't think Cavani is the type of striker we need right now either.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'd rather have Ighalo all day long. Maybe Cavani 5 years ago. Ighalo wants to play for our club, and you see it in everything he does. Cavani just isn't comparable in that aspect. I don't think Cavani is the type of striker we need right now either.
Cavani wants to win every time he’s on the pitch, he’s one of the hardest working forwards the world has seen in recent years. Ighalo can want to play for us all he wants, that doesn’t make him better than Cavani.

The fact you think Cavani isn’t comparable in work rate suggests you’ve lost the plot.

Judas

Open to offers
Did I say Cavani's workrate was poor? Nope. He's injury prone and not the player he was, mad wages, and just not what we need right now. I'm glad he still has big fans though.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Did I say Cavani's workrate was poor? Nope. He's injury prone and not the player he was, mad wages, and just not what we need right now. I'm glad he still has big fans though.
We pay £300k a week for Ighalo so how are “mad wages” even relevant?

He’s not the player he was and it still twice the player Ighalo has ever been.

I’m glad you rate players on how much of a fan they are.

Zoo

United are not paying Ighalo 300K a week.

Red00012

We pay £300k a week for Ighalo so how are “mad wages” even relevant?

He’s not the player he was and it still twice the player Ighalo has ever been.

I’m glad you rate players on how much of a fan they are.
No we don’t .

Judas

Open to offers
I know who I'd rather pay that money to on a short term deal, and its Ighalo. The thought of signing Cavani on most likely a multiyear deal is a big no thanks to most people, and rightfully so. It simply doesn't make sense now.

lenny_1248

Thiago Silva is a player I have tremendous amount of respect for. For me, overcoming adversity is the most admirable trait a human being can have. And boy was Silva subjected to excruciating difficult times. Neglected by his biological father in his adolescence was bad enough, but to be the unlucky recipient that contacted tuberculosis is absolutely grim. He was given an ultimatum to either allow the doctors to cut a hole in his lung to increase his chances of survival, or to go against the advice of medical staff. A precarious situation which is close to home, as my Uncle was in a similar situation. He went with the advice of the doctors, and didn't come back. Silva went against the advise of the experts

He's a fantastic example that progression isn't linear. At one of his trials for Flamengo, he was told that he had no ceiling in football. From Brazil to Russia, and back to Brazil, and then given another shot in Europe by going to Milan is a real journey.

I really enjoyed his battle with Mbappe and Lewandowski as well as Messi as Milito

At one point I thought he would either be Kompany's partner, or off to Barcelona. Its a pity the French league is viewed with disdain in some circles. When I see Thiago Silva's name mentioned online on various platforms nowadays, its often followed with people diminishing his efforts with comments in the ilk of "if he was really that good he wouldn't have ended up in a farmers league"

One of the greatest central defenders of his generation. Him and Godin are hugely underrated.
Would be nice to have him there for one year. Though of course it's impossible, bit I'd f-ing love it.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
To lose Kouassi + Aouchiche as free agents > Cavani + Thiago Silva
That's the big loss for PSG, but it's consistent with how it's been with their academy players. They have one of the best in the world, but you wouldn't know it as all their players leave before they make it to the first team. I think Kouassi's next club is already chosen, but he would have been someone I'd have gone after if I was United. Same for Aouchiche.

Red00012

With the loan fee plus salary, yes we do. You can’t complain about Cavani’s high wages and then in the same sentence pretend that Ighalo’s loan fee doesn’t exist.
No it’s not he’s on about 100-120 K a week , are we paying the club 200K a week for him? Not a chance

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
That's the big loss for PSG, but it's consistent with how it's been with their academy players. They have one of the best in the world, but you wouldn't know it as all their players leave before they make it to the first team. I think Kouassi's next club is already chosen, but he would have been someone I'd have gone after if I was United. Same for Aouchiche.
You can never have enough talent in your squad but that would be harsh for Tuanzebe and Mengi.

jesperjaap

Was quite sad him going to PSG to be fair, he waswithout doubt one of the best defenders in the world at Milan, obviously loved the club and appeared he didnt actually want to move, seemed all about money. Had a great career at PSG and was still a fantastic player, just didnt seem the same to me as him in a Milan shirt. Forgetting there age and certainly in Silvas case, past there peak, would love to see them in the premiership, be great signings with there experience for somebody like Newcastle for example, Cavani even would have been good here on a short term deal not that I would have wanted it particularly