Thiago Silva and Edinson Cavani to leave PSG...

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
With the loan fee plus salary, yes we do. You can’t complain about Cavani’s high wages and then in the same sentence pretend that Ighalo’s loan fee doesn’t exist.
There will be a massive signing fee with Cavani also. Although I agreed that on paper, Cavani should still be a better player than Ighalo. I'm just not sure he'd take a 2 yr contract though. Or ready to be benched for Martial.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Was quite sad him going to PSG to be fair, he waswithout doubt one of the best defenders in the world at Milan, obviously loved the club and appeared he didnt actually want to move, seemed all about money. Had a great career at PSG and was still a fantastic player, just didnt seem the same to me as him in a Milan shirt. Forgetting there age and certainly in Silvas case, past there peak, would love to see them in the premiership, be great signings with there experience for somebody like Newcastle for example, Cavani even would have been good here on a short term deal not that I would have wanted it particularly
Just to be clear, my comment was more about a very small handful I came across online that were rewriting history. The idea that he was never that good to begin with, and using the league he plays in as the justification for that. They're entitled to hold those views, I only used the word pity, as in its a pity given his tuberculosis past. This is not intended to be a criticism to the towards the handful I came across. I have no issues with people viewing the Serie A to be a superior league. I didn't want him to go to PSG myself. I wanted the group of Silva, Zlatan, Boateng and others to get stronger. So, I found it disappointing when their two best players were shipped off to generate funds I'd imagine. I don't think either of them wanted to leave Milan.
I don't think he'd want to join Newcastle myself. From his perspective, it might not help with the mercenary image. But, that was just an example from you, and not to be taken entirely literally. If he was to play for a side in the EPL, I think it would be one that has qualified for European football. Looking at it from purely an aesthetic/romantic lens, I'd like to see him at one of Sheffield U, Wolves, or Arsenal.

@lenny_1248 One of the best defending 1v1 of the last decade

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Where's this loan fee come from? The total loan deal is costing United £5m, including wages.
£5m would barely cover his wages, Shanghai aren’t just loaning him to us for free. We’ve paid a £6m loan fee for his extension on top of his wages of around £120-130k.
No it’s not he’s on about 100-120 K a week , are we paying the club 200K a week for him? Not a chance
We’re paying them £6m which works out to roughly £200k a week, so yes we are

https://www.football365.com/news/report-reveals-huge-odion-ighalo-loan-fee-man-utd
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/metro.c...chester-united-man-utd-transfer-12789085/amp/
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-january-2021-thanks-to-6m-loan-fee-5tkmctm8f

limerickcitykid

There will be a massive signing fee with Cavani also. Although I agreed that on paper, Cavani should still be a better player than Ighalo. I'm just not sure he'd take a 2 yr contract though. Or ready to be benched for Martial.
Most reports suggest it’s a 2 year deal at around £200k from Atlético which would still leave room for a signing bonus to match the outlay on Ighalo.

He’s never been the star player and happily works hard for the team. I doubt that’d change and he wouldn’t mind a managed workload to maintain his fitness. But that’s all hypotheticals and unprovable. I was responding to the suggestion that anyone preferring Cavani over Ighalo has lost the plot. Which ironically is losing the plot because Cavani is simply levels above Ighalo.

0le

We are paying a third of Ighalo's wages which is £100k/week. Adding onto this weekly wage a loan fee broken up to "equivalent weekly wages" I think leads to confusion. I think it is better to say the "total cost of the transfer is..." and then say something like "100k/week for 10 weeks + 6m fee". What I find interesting is that this trend of using total cost to judge players only really started with Sanchez. Previously fans only used to use transfer fees. Anyway:

If you look at the total cost, then £200k/ week for two years, then Cavani's total cost is 20.8m plus whatever signing on fee/loan fee.

We have had Ighalo on loan from Jan 31st and the initial loan deal lasted until May 31st [source]. This is about 17 weeks. The deal seems to have included us paying a third of his wages (£100k/ week) and some reports saying a loan fee for this period was £4m. This gives a total cost of £5.7m. The second loan deal from June 01 to Jan 30th 2021 is about 35 weeks at £100k/week. This is £3.5m plus the loan fee (£6m) which gives £9.5m. The total cost of Ighalo's stay at United is £15.2m.

So even accounting for the fact that we've had Ighalo since January, his total cost for both loan deals is still cheaper than signing Cavani on a two year deal excluding any signing on fee or loan fee. In percentages, we've saved 25% an absolute total costs. For that saving we may have got a technically weaker player but we've also gained a player who actually genuinely wanted to be here, someone with PL experience and someone who perfectly understands his role in the team.

Last edited:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We are paying a third of Ighalo's wages which is £100k/week. Adding onto this weekly wage a loan fee broken up to "equivalent weekly wages" I think leads to confusion. I think it is better to say the "total cost of the transfer is..." and then say something like "100k/week for 10 weeks + 6m fee". What I find interesting is that this trend of using total cost to judge players only really started with Sanchez. Previously fans only used to use transfer fees. Anyway:

If you look at the total cost, then £200k/ week for two years, then Cavani's total cost is 20.8m plus whatever signing on fee.

We have had Ighalo on loan from Jan 31st and the initial loan deal lasted until May 31st [source]. This is about 17 weeks. The deal seems to have included us paying a third of his wages (£100k/ week) and some reports saying a loan fee for this period was £4m. This gives a total cost of £5.7m. The second loan deal from June 01 to Jan 30th 2021 which is about 35 weeks at £100k/week. This is £3.5m plus the signing on fee which gives £9.5m. The total cost of Ighalo's stay at United is £15.2m.

So even accounting for the fact that we've had Ighalo since January, his total cost for both loan deals is still cheaper than signing Cavani on a two year deal excluding any signing on fee. In percentages, we've saved 25% an absolute total costs. For that saving we may have got a technically weaker player but we've also gained a player who actually genuinely wanted to be here, someone with PL experience and someone who perfectly understands his role in the team.
Absolutely top post here Ole!

Agree with your final sentiments too.

GiddyUp

No, just no. I would rather we signed players from Wolves than PSG.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If you look at the total cost, then £200k/ week for two years, then Cavani's total cost is 20.8m plus whatever signing on fee/loan fee.

We have had Ighalo on loan from Jan 31st and the initial loan deal lasted until May 31st [source]. This is about 17 weeks. The deal seems to have included us paying a third of his wages (£100k/ week) and some reports saying a loan fee for this period was £4m. This gives a total cost of £5.7m. The second loan deal from June 01 to Jan 30th 2021 is about 35 weeks at £100k/week. This is £3.5m plus the loan fee (£6m) which gives £9.5m. The total cost of Ighalo's stay at United is £15.2m.

So even accounting for the fact that we've had Ighalo since January, his total cost for both loan deals is still cheaper than signing Cavani on a two year deal excluding any signing on fee or loan fee. In percentages, we've saved 25% an absolute total costs. For that saving we may have got a technically weaker player but we've also gained a player who actually genuinely wanted to be here, someone with PL experience and someone who perfectly understands his role in the team.
Asides from all this we have also gained a much safer bet. He's already played games with us and performed.

limerickcitykid

So we’ve saved 25% for only 50% of the time length and for only 50% of the player quality. That isn’t a good deal.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
So we’ve saved 25% for only 50% of the time length and for only 50% of the player quality. That isn’t a good deal.
How do you quantify player quality? What proof is there of Ighalo performing 50% for us compared to Cavani?

He’s played in 8 games, got 4 goals and 1 assist for us in a total of 318 mins

That’s a goal or assist every 63.6 minutes played. Do you think Cavani would be scoring and assisting at double that rate every 31.8mins that’s a bold assertion for any players even Messi.

Red00012

£5m would barely cover his wages, Shanghai aren’t just loaning him to us for free. We’ve paid a £6m loan fee for his extension on top of his wages of around £120-130k.

We’re paying them £6m which works out to roughly £200k a week, so yes we are

https://www.football365.com/news/report-reveals-huge-odion-ighalo-loan-fee-man-utd
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/metro.c...chester-united-man-utd-transfer-12789085/amp/
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-january-2021-thanks-to-6m-loan-fee-5tkmctm8f
You said we were paying 300K a week ? We’re not .

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
In the olden days, they'd have Bolton written over them but AC Milan sounds more likely now.

jesperjaap

Just to be clear, my comment was more about a very small handful I came across online that were rewriting history. The idea that he was never that good to begin with, and using the league he plays in as the justification for that. They're entitled to hold those views, I only used the word pity, as in its a pity given his tuberculosis past. This is not intended to be a criticism to the towards the handful I came across. I have no issues with people viewing the Serie A to be a superior league. I didn't want him to go to PSG myself. I wanted the group of Silva, Zlatan, Boateng and others to get stronger. So, I found it disappointing when their two best players were shipped off to generate funds I'd imagine. I don't think either of them wanted to leave Milan.
I don't think he'd want to join Newcastle myself. From his perspective, it might not help with the mercenary image. But, that was just an example from you, and not to be taken entirely literally. If he was to play for a side in the EPL, I think it would be one that has qualified for European football. Looking at it from purely an aesthetic/romantic lens, I'd like to see him at one of Sheffield U, Wolves, or Arsenal.

@lenny_1248 One of the best defending 1v1 of the last decade
Anybody who thinks he isnt very good really isnt a very good judge in my opinion, cracking defender. Quite a few said the missign of Neymar had a lot to do with the capitulation against Germany in the world cup a few years ago, I would argue missign Silva had more of an effect. They looked good defensively in that tournament....then he was suspended and we saw how much he was holding together the partnership with David Luiz

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton

I think i would be happy to take Silva for a year. Ancelotti is very familiar with him so he should know what he is getting.

We have been heavily linked to another Brazilian centre back , Gabriel whose plays at Lille. If we can get rid of Keane and enter the season with Holgate, Mina, Silva and Gabriel as our 4 centre backs i would be very happy.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

I think i would be happy to take Silva for a year. Ancelotti is very familiar with him so he should know what he is getting.

We have been heavily linked to another Brazilian centre back , Gabriel whose plays at Lille. If we can get rid of Keane and enter the season with Holgate, Mina, Silva and Gabriel as our 4 centre backs i would be very happy.
Yeah I wouldn't mind Silva for a year. I'd see it a bit like the Eto'o deal we did or the Ibra deal at United. It has a positive impact on the squad and they can give guidance to the younger players.

No thanks, the ship has long sailed with both of them.

Silva looked great for a couple of years at Milan but other than that we never got the chance to see what he could become. At 36 there is no chance he could cope here.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
No thanks, the ship has long sailed with both of them.

Silva looked great for a couple of years at Milan but other than that we never got the chance to see what he could become. At 36 there is no chance he could cope here.
Silva was one of the best defenders of this generation honestly, technically his reading of the game was brilliant, if he went to a PL club he would be considered up there with the greatest of this generation.

Sadly he picked the 'PSG project', I'd love to say that he would be a good fit for a year or two, but that is far from the reality.

I agree completely on the latter point, if the club is to ever do a high press in a game, given Silvas age you are really going to be caught short, especially with players like Maguire too. Plus one injury such as a knee injury at that age and your career is effectively over (and he would still be on payroll).

Silva was one of the best defenders of this generation honestly, technically his reading of the game was brilliant, if he went to a PL club he would be considered up there with the greatest of this generation.

Sadly he picked the 'PSG project', I'd love to say that he would be a good fit for a year or two, but that is far from the reality.

I agree completely on the latter point, if the club is to ever do a high press in a game, given Silvas age you are really going to be caught short, especially with players like Maguire too. Plus one injury such as a knee injury at that age and your career is effectively over (and he would still be on payroll).
He had the potential to be. Going to PSG meant he never was. It's easy to read the game in France, we never got to see him tested.

RooneyLegend

Would love to have Thiago here, can't hurt to have one of the best defenders ever here. He's also one of those freak athletes who don't lose all their capabilities at a certain age. In the group stage match against Pool a year ago he had their attack under lock and key.

RooneyLegend

He had the potential to be. Going to PSG meant he never was. It's easy to read the game in France, we never got to see him tested.
How? He had numerous big games against the very best teams football has to offer.

So? No one man is a team. He himself though, as a defender, has always been brilliant. Didn't have a single weakness.
Which is what i'm saying, he's never been tested. When he has his team invariably lost. He's not done enough to call him one of the best of his generation.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think Thiago Silva is one of the best of his generation, I was just disappointed that he choose to spend so much of it at PSG.

They are not the club you go to if you want to have a legacy and be remembered. So many forgotten faces there now. It’s a case of out of sight, out of mind.

Veratti could have been a legend somewhere like Juventus, but who will remember him now in 20 years? Same with Silva unfortunately.

TheHeya

You bet we would be going for these 2 along with Willian if Jose was still in charge.

GoldanoGraham

Would love to have Thiago here, can't hurt to have one of the best defenders ever here. He's also one of those freak athletes who don't lose all their capabilities at a certain age. In the group stage match against Pool a year ago he had their attack under lock and key.
Has Spurs written all over it if José can get his way - but reckon Silva will be a mercenary and probably end up at Arsenal - will be perfect for them!
He may well have been a good defender but coming to the EPL now at this age wouldn’t be wise, he will not be able to cope physically or with the pace - coming from French league it will be too much of a change at this stage in his career......like I said - perfect for Arsenal and too expensive for Levy to sign at Spurs

sp_107

Last year our main problem was not creating chances but finishing them especially towards end of the season.

Wondering if we are in real need of a proper number-9 but we are ignoring that because we have an inconsistent Martial and Mason who is still learning his trade?

Worth a punt on bringing in Cavani for a couple of years ?

flappyjay

Last year our main problem was not creating chances but finishing them especially towards end of the season.
We were devoid of chances in the 1st half of the season. You are referring to the last 3/4 games of the season.

sp_107

We were devoid of chances in the 1st half of the season. You are referring to the last 3/4 games of the season.
As we have the creativity with VBK/Pogba/Bruno, Wondering if we are in real need of a proper number-9 but we are ignoring that because we have an inconsistent Martial and Mason who is still learning his trade?

croadyman

Wondering if we are in real need of a proper number-9 but we are ignoring that because we have an inconsistent Martial and Mason who is still learning his trade?

Worth a punt on bringing in Cavani for a couple of years ?
Problem is I can't see the club willing to make him our second highest earner behind DDG

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Cavaniva to replace Ighalo
This makes too much sense, so probably won't happen. Of course he will be on high salary due to free transfer for player his class, but for a year why not? just like Thiago Silva to Chelsea. The question is if he can help the team to get goal? Is he a good plan B from the bench due to his physique and his playing style? Can his experience help Man Utd's young strikers? I believe his salary demand will drop when it gets closer to the end of transfer window.

croadyman

This makes too much sense, so probably won't happen. Of course he will be on high salary due to free transfer for player his class, but for a year why not? just like Thiago Silva to Chelsea. The question is if he can help the team to get goal? Is he a good plan B from the bench due to his physique and his playing style? Can his experience help Man Utd's young strikers? I believe his salary demand will drop when it gets closer to the end of transfer window.
Well if the salary demands did drop a bit then that would be a different story and think club might consider it,only other option is getting him in January when Ighalo leaves but presume he will have signed for someone by then