Thiago Silva | Chelsea Player

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Lampard doesn't have a defensive bone in his body so he needs an experienced centre-back there, could go either way to be honest.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
You only have to look at how well he played against Bayern's juggernaut of an attack compared to how the centre-halves of Chelsea and Spurs were demolished this season to see he'll be a significant improvement on what's there already.

That said and while he's still in excellent shape, at some point age will catch up to him.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
A very shrewd signing. He's still got it, he's a good leader. It's a shame he wasted those years in a declining Milan side, would have liked us to go for him when he was 25ish.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can't imagine him being any good at all being 36 shortly and in a new league. Surely big wages too.
Did alright against Bayern who blew Chelsea away in 2 games. I'd say he's still decent.

He does have Marquinho's ahead of him though who is a fantastic DM. Not sure he will get the same protection at Chelsea.

Shiva87

Good signing for Chelsea. If nothing else, they will have a much improved first XI on paper.

Last time they had such a summer was when they bought Shevchenko and Ballack (among others) into the club.

One of those two definitely failed! Here's hoping that happens again.

Mercurial

Great pickup even at his advanced age! I'll always rate him, he played with and learned from the best of an era italian defenders, he can impart some wisdom on his 1 year deal. Would have rather seen him go to Italy and Milan for nostalgia. He is one of those evergreen players and a passionate pro that take good care of themselves and can keep playing, with a much slower decline rate than expected.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Leadership, calming head, experience and organization. Thats what he'll provide to our back line this season. With a better defensive setup and a better goalkeeper I think he'll be a major upgrade for our defence. Still got some pace on him at 36 and age doesn't really factor in that much on the performances of CBs relative to attackers.
Slightly less gung-ho style from Lampard and this is a fantastic acquisition.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Amazing signing. You can't get more experience. Definitely good enough for 1/2 more years. He played really well against Bayern. For some people age is not that important, it is all about how fit you are no matter the age. Schweinsteiger and Rooney declined early while players like Ronaldo, Lewandowski , Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva are examples that they can play on top level for a longer time.

Perfect player to help Chelsea in this transition period. Impressed by Chelsea`s transfer window.

Last edited:

Bwuk

Think he's a great signing. I'd of took him here on a free.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
A lot of respect for Chelsea during this transfer window. Getting deals done efficiently and strengthening the places they need to.

I think this signing will help them a lot, he still has a few years left in hi.. We benefitted from Zlatan at the same age for a year and Chelsea will have the same.

RedStarUnited

36 year old, playing in a high defensive line team....

I don't see how this can go wrong at all.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
If he plays largely mistake-free football like he always has he will be a humongous upgrade on last season.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Great signing I say. It seems this transfer window they are focused on getting attacking reinforcements and the free signing of Silva would mean they will have enough cover defensively to atleast get a top 4 spot, without spending anything on the weak CB spot. Next season then, they can think about buying long term CB and GK options.

T.Silva should still have enough quality to hold that Chelsea defense together for one season.

Kadrini

Supports
Chelsea
Did alright against Bayern who blew Chelsea away in 2 games. I'd say he's still decent.

He does have Marquinho's ahead of him though who is a fantastic DM. Not sure he will get the same protection at Chelsea.
Hmmm. Kante

hungrywing

Great signing I say. It seems this transfer window they are focused on getting attacking reinforcements and the free signing of Silva would mean they will have enough cover defensively to atleast get a top 4 spot, without spending anything on the weak CB spot. Next season then, they can think about buying long term CB and GK options.

T.Silva should still have enough quality to hold that Chelsea defense together for one season.
Personally I think this is closest to what they're thinking.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
People always say "he brings leadership & experience" regarding transfers like these. As if that will help when he'll be outpaced by some forward. (Or one of his CB colleagues)

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
People always say "he brings leadership & experience" regarding transfers like these. As if that will help when he'll be outpaced by some forward. (Or one of his CB colleagues)
Honest question. Do you think Maguire has more pace than Tiago Silva?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He doesn't strike me as having declined significantly, though that is based on only a small sample of recent games.

Chelsea were definitely weak at the back. Signing Silva and Sarr for no fees and letting Sarr go on loan looks like good business to me.

Judas

Open to offers
He'll last a season and move on. It's a little too late for him in the PL, I'll be very surprised if he's a huge success, he won't be dreadful, but there will be plenty of moments of tragedy.

sincher

Thing is, Chelsea's main CBs right now are Rudiger, Christensen, Zouma and Tomori. Thiago Silva definitely offers an upgrade in the short term. In the longer term, Sarr, Tomori and Christensen all still have a chance of developing further.

I would think Zouma might leave. Rudiger hasn't had a great season but is decent I think.

Dan_F

Never a bad thing adding that kind of experience to the dressing room. He’ll definitely improve where they were last year defensively.

It does say to me that we’ll struggle to add a quality centre back, if Chelsea are going for a short term transfer like that, can’t be too many available.

I’m glad he didn’t come to one of our rivals in his prime.

sincher

I guess they will line up something like:

New keeper
Azpi
Chilwell
T.Silva
Rudiger
Kante
Kovacic
Havertz
Pulisic
Ziyech
Werner

Caballero
James
Christensen
Zouma
Alonso
Jorginho
Barkley
L-Cheek
Mount
H-Odoi
Abraham

Looks stronger for sure, especially in defence. The attack will depend a lot on Havertz, Ziyech and Werner adapting.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He'll be their best defender. He's still an excellent centreback.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea won the title with a 35 year old Terry playing every gane. I know we had a different team back then, we didn't play an open game as we did last season, but part of that experience comes positional sense and situational awareness.

I'm confident he can help eradicate some of the silly goals we concede, but Lampard still needs to work on the structural defensive issues otherwise we'll have a lot of problems regardless of who else we bring in.