Thiago Silva | Chelsea Player

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
No one in my country watches the French league. I'm sure the same is true for the majority of South East Asian countries. And broadly Europe as well. The Premier league is by far the most popular worldwide.

I am not saying nobody knew their names, it's just more people are now appreciating their talent because more people are watching them on a regular basis.

It's a farmers league because of PSG hogging all the good players. So I was never expecting them to struggle anyway.
Ah, so you don't watch the French league therefore nobody does. You realize if people thought like you, then the Premier League wouldn't be what it is today. Back in the 90's, all the great players were in Serie A, why would anybody bother to watch anything else or join England's league? That's what your comment reads like, as if someone who doesn't play in England suddenly becomes irrelevant. It's very arrogant and dumb, but not really surprising. Not because of you, but that's an attitude I see often from fans of the Premier League or in the US in sports where they call world champions people who only compete in America, it's all from that same sort of arrogant heritage of entitlement.

Also, PSG is not hogging all of the good players of their league, you're confusing them with Bayern and the Bundesliga.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Yes, it's a good thing they joined the premier league, people finally know who Cavani and Silva are now. :rolleyes:

Also funny how they immediately showed just how good they are, I thought farmers weren't supposed to be this good in the amazing Premier League.
Farmer Thierry Henry was best foreign player of EPL until Cr7 arrived in England, farmer Eric Cantona is praised by most United fans.

Don't forget about the other farmers Patrice Evra,Robert Pires,Vieira,Makelele,Ginola, Kanté, and let's not forget the grandpa farmer Arsene Wenger who took a couple of EPL tittles from SAF.

Not bad at all.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
As an old fart myself, it's great to see these older dude like Silva & Ronaldo showing that they can more than hold their own with the kids.

Must be so awesome for the likes of Christensen & Chalobah to train with Silva and the Man United kids to train with Ronaldo.

EtH

As an old fart myself, it's great to see these older dude like Silva & Ronaldo showing that they can more than hold their own with the kids.

Must be so awesome for the likes of Christensen & Chalobah to train with Silva and the Man United kids to train with Ronaldo.
Don’t forget Heaton.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
No one in my country watches the French league. I'm sure the same is true for the majority of South East Asian countries. And broadly Europe as well. The Premier league is by far the most popular worldwide.

I am not saying nobody knew their names, it's just more people are now appreciating their talent because more people are watching them on a regular basis.

It's a farmers league because of PSG hogging all the good players. So I was never expecting them to struggle anyway.
PSG isn't taking the best players from France, they are all abroad : Bundesliga,EPL, La Liga winning trophies for other clubs...the only actual best player from Ligue 1 PSG took was Mbappé, and he will leave to RM next year.

The fact that Mbappé is the only regular starter for France NT(that plays in PSG) speaks for it self, the rest of the team is playing in EPL,Bundesliga, and La Liga.

Ligue 1 teams, aside from PSG, need to sell players to survive, EPL teams should be grateful for that.

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

You mention Ronaldo and Silva, but leave out Milner? Shame on you.

Jaxa

I think players like Silva, Cavani, Ronaldo etc debunk this myth that if you’re from a certain league or you’re a certain age you just won’t cut it in the prem which is great because I’m sick to death of being told by Dinosaur pundits this is the case.

If you’re good enough your good enough, end off

IrishRedDevil

You mention Ronaldo and Silva, but leave out Milner? Shame on you.
Chelsea fans are happy to see Silva start and United fans happy to see Ronaldo start

Most Liverpool fans want to cry when Milner starts. And what youth player gives a crap about training with Milner.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I think players like Silva, Cavani, Ronaldo etc debunk this myth that if you’re from a certain league or you’re a certain age you just won’t cut it in the prem which is great because I’m sick to death of being told by Dinosaur pundits this is the case.

If you’re good enough your good enough, end off
That myth is debunked easily.

Most top PL players are made in leagues inferior to EPL : De Bruyne,Sadio Mané, Kanté,Mohammed Salah, peak Sergio Aguero, Ronaldo, Jorginho,Laporte, VVD, Ruben Dias, Bruno Fernandes, peak Eriksen, Heun Min Son, etc

There is no argument for not trusting inferior leagues, when at least 90% of best EPL players come from inferior leagues.

LoneStar

Ah, so you don't watch the French league therefore nobody does. You realize if people thought like you, then the Premier League wouldn't be what it is today. Back in the 90's, all the great players were in Serie A, why would anybody bother to watch anything else or join England's league? That's what your comment reads like, as if someone who doesn't play in England suddenly becomes irrelevant. It's very arrogant and dumb, but not really surprising. Not because of you, but that's an attitude I see often from fans of the Premier League or in the US in sports where they call world champions people who only compete in America, it's all from that same sort of arrogant heritage of entitlement.

Also, PSG is not hogging all of the good players of their league, you're confusing them with Bayern and the Bundesliga.
Mate, I never said they are irrelevant, just that far more people watch the Premier League than the French league. I am sure the viewership numbers worldwide would definitely reflect that. And that's why the PL clubs get highest revenues for TV broadcasting.

It would logically then follow that players are going to be more popular when they are playing for the big PL clubs over any team in the French league. Hence them coming to play for the PL clubs has made more people realise how good they are.

Over the last decade, PSG have won most of the titles thanks to their massive investment vs the rest of the league. That will make the league boring over time.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Mate, I never said they are irrelevant, just that far more people watch the Premier League than the French league. I am sure the viewership numbers worldwide would definitely reflect that. And that's why the PL clubs get highest revenues for TV broadcasting.

It would logically then follow that players are going to be more popular when they are playing for the big PL clubs over any team in the French league. Hence them coming to play for the PL clubs has made more people realise how good they are.

Over the last decade, PSG have won most of the titles thanks to their massive investment vs the rest of the league. That will make the league boring over time.
Then they are PL fans, not football fans. You don’t have to be a particularly knowledgeable football fan to know that Thiago Silva has long been regarded as one of world’s best CB’s.

I mean he’s played for Milan, PSG and has 100 caps for Brazil, also captaining them.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yes, it's a good thing they joined the premier league, people finally know who Cavani and Silva are now. :rolleyes:

Also funny how they immediately showed just how good they are, I thought farmers weren't supposed to be this good in the amazing Premier League.

You seem very insecure.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He's a class act to be honest and still better now than most of the defenders in this league. I do enjoy this recent trend of some of the worlds best coming back later in their career and proving just how good they really are. Cavani, Silva, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic all came in under huge scrutiny but to my mind, all of them have proven just how good they are and enhanced their legacies. As above it's a shame that Cavani, Ibrahimovic and Silva all wasted so much time in France.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
14 Goals conceded in 24 EPL games, I must say that is water proof tight.

Thiago Silva is World Class, He's the Third Biggest reason Chelski don't concede much, only behind Mendy and Tuchel's Tactics.

Many including me thought he'd came in just to get paid and see out his time, but sadly I was wrong, He's been brilliant in the three games(Liverpool, Aston Villa and Tottenham) he's played in. He has been a real leader for them since he came in.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
14 Goals conceded in 24 EPL games, I must say that is water proof tight.

Thiago Silva is World Class, He's the Third Biggest reason Chelski don't concede much, only behind Mendy and Tuchel's Tactics.

Many including me thought he'd came in just to get paid and see out his time, but sadly I was wrong, He's been brilliant in the three games(Liverpool, Aston Villa and Tottenham) he's played in. He has been a real leader for them since he came in.
The great thing is we're not that reliant on him now, certainly not to the extent we were under Lampard. Tuchel can manage his work load (which is a necessity) comfortably in the knowledge that Christensen can shuffle across from RCB into the middle of the back 3 and keep the high standards Silva sets.

LoneStar

Then they are PL fans, not football fans. You don’t have to be a particularly knowledgeable football fan to know that Thiago Silva has long been regarded as one of world’s best CB’s.

I mean he’s played for Milan, PSG and has 100 caps for Brazil, also captaining them.
So do you need to be watch 3rd tier Norwegian football to be considered a fan of football?

People are going to watch what's televised, and for most of the world, that's the Premier League, World cups/Euros and La Liga. I am not commenting on the quality but Cavani's popularity undeniably increased once he came to this league.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
So do you need to be watch 3rd tier Norwegian football to be considered a fan of football?

People are going to watch what's televised, and for most of the world, that's the Premier League, World cups/Euros and La Liga. I am not commenting on the quality but Cavani's popularity undeniably increased once he came to this league.
Why would you need to watch the Norwegian 3rd tier to have knowledge of someone who has captained and made 100 appearances for Brazil?

I’m not trying to be cantankerous, but I don’t think it’s particularly controversial in acknowledging that Silva had an outstanding reputation and was world renowned PRIOR to joining the PL. Given that he’s starred in world cups, champions leagues…etc

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like a 3rd season could be on the cards.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
You seem very insecure.
Somehow missed that. What would I be insecure about? I just find it the height of arrogance and entitlement when some act like those players had done nothing prior to coming to the Premier League, especially with a player like Thiago Silva. Can you not see that?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Incredible that he's still performing at that level at 37. I'm sure he's been a massive influence on the overall improvement of our defence too. Would love to keep him for another season, even if he isn't playing all the time.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Incredible that he's still performing at that level at 37. I'm sure he's been a massive influence on the overall improvement of our defence too. Would love to keep him for another season, even if he isn't playing all the time.
Silva is a very classy player. He is one of those truly elite CB's where he has 3 yards on the CF owing to his footballing brain. As Chelsea also play a back 3, he is also at a team where he can play to his strengths.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
I'm amazed that these pundits still expect some pacey striker to show him up.
It's a strange one for sure. He's been absolutely superb in every appearance bar the small blip in his first match. He's been in plenty of 1v1s with quicker players already but he has enough pace and the intelligence to hold them up and/or force them wide.

Other than having to rotate a bit more, his level is still up there with the greats which has been a great surprise.

RooneyLegend

Silva is a very classy player. He is one of those truly elite CB's where he has 3 yards on the CF owing to his footballing brain. As Chelsea also play a back 3, he is also at a team where he can play to his strengths.
Thiago can play in any sort of defence and he'll be amazing.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's a strange one for sure. He's been absolutely superb in every appearance bar the small blip in his first match. He's been in plenty of 1v1s with quicker players already but he has enough pace and the intelligence to hold them up and/or force them wide.

Other than having to rotate a bit more, his level is still up there with the greats which has been a great surprise.
Yep, that West Brom game aside, I can't think of any particularly poor games from him. He's consistently fluctuated between pretty good and fecking unreal the entire time he's been here.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Extended for another season. Well deserved. Really didn't expect to enjoy watching Thiago fecking Silva playing for Chelsea for 3 seasons.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Got to admit I’m really impressed. Never expected him to have the impact he’s had after moving from Ligue 1 to the PL at 36

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
He is arguably the best defender since Nesta. It is a pity that he was in PSG for the prime of his career. His Serie A winning season at Milan, he was a fcuking monster. He was possibly the best defender that season, even though our own Vida had a monstrous season.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Thiago staying for another year is absolutely critical for the development of Chalobah and Colwill. I am more excited about Colwill than I have been about most of our young players with the exception of Reece James.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Thiago staying for another year is absolutely critical for the development of Chalobah and Colwill. I am more excited about Colwill than I have been about most of our young players with the exception of Reece James.
Im more excited to see Conor Gallagher hopefully used next year. Because as stated before, i can definitely see a situation where Gilmour possibly goes again on loan, and RLC leaves permanently, and our midfield will be light

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's just incredible. An absolute privilege to watch him every week. Love him.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I watched him a little bit for AC in passing moments. Never watched him for PSG. He's playing in a back 3 now granted which gives a little bit more help but my god he looks so good it's a joke. He's always at the heart of every defending situation. I can't believe he as good as this before. Best defender in the league for me.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
I watched him a little bit for AC in passing moments. Never watched him for PSG. He's playing in a back 3 now granted which gives a little bit more help but my god he looks so good it's a joke. He's always at the heart of every defending situation. I can't believe he as good as this before. Best defender in the league for me.
Played in both back 3 and back 4 under Tuchel and Lampard and never looks under any strain due to his age. I'd say he is still quicker now over short distances than prime Terry. Arguably our best signing since Kante and can easily see him staying another season or two.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Extended for another season. Well deserved. Really didn't expect to enjoy watching Thiago fecking Silva playing for Chelsea for 3 seasons.

What a signing for Chelsea! He came for free was just icing on the cake. Dembele will probably the next free signing. Chelsea's recruitment department along with Liverpool's are doing great jobs for their clubs.