Thierry Henry

Fener1907

Majestic player. As a kid, I always told myself that it was just Highbury that made him look that good. He was also smooth as anything. Couldn't help but detest him when he played for them.

MoskvaRed

I found it hard to be objective about him when he played as I hated that Arsenal team but he was a genuinely brilliant player. The best ever in the PL? No way, there's quite a few United and Chelsea players ahead of him in that queue.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I found it hard to be objective about him when he played as I hated that Arsenal team but he was a genuinely brilliant player. The best ever in the PL? No way, there's quite a few United and Chelsea players ahead of him in that queue.
Which Chelsea players?

Ban

Didn't know he has a soft spot for us. Great stuff. :) Always kind of liked him except that time when he handled the ball to make the Irish sad.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Didn't know he has a soft spot for us. Great stuff. :) Always kind of liked him except that time when he handled the ball to make the Irish sad.
The French Maradona :cool:

Bojan11

Drogba, Lampard, Terry - players that defended a league titlle and turned a nothing club into a consistent European force. Something Henry never quite managed for all his undoubted talent.
Are you out of your mind?

Abrahmovic and Mourinho turned a nothing club into something. The latter two did nothing before those two came along.

Henry consistently scored 30 goals and 20 assists. Not his fault he came up against a great Man Utd team.

Also bear in mind the time when your favourite trio defended their title. Their rivals were a Man Utd team rebuilding and Arsenal team that didn't get over a loss.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Drogba, Lampard, Terry - players that defended a league titlle and turned a nothing club into a consistent European force. Something Henry never quite managed for all his undoubted talent.
Look at Arsenal that reaches the champions league final in 2006 and won titles with Thierry Henry

Compare it with Arsenal post-Henry

Sterling Archer

Are you out of your mind?

It's Abrahmovic and Mourinho turned a nothing club into something. The latter two did nothing before those two came along.

Henry consistently scored 30 goals and 20 assists. Not his fault he came up against a great Man Utd team.

Also bear in mind the time when your favourite trio defended their title. Their rivals were a Man Utd team rebuilding and Arsenal team that didn't get over a loss.
Truth.

Andy_Cole

This post makes my eyes bleed. Horrendous.

Jib

WTF :lol:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Wow. Clueless.

dichinero

You're a naughty fellow

MoskvaRed

You're a naughty fellow
Ok, I will don the flak helmet but ultimately that Arsenal side did not defend a title nor make a consistent impact in the Champions League. Henry was a wonderful player but he was part of a side that never quite made the final step. All his fault? Of course not (as he showed in 2009) but, as a United fan,it is offensive that he gets "best PL player" type plaudits at the expense of players who did consistently deal with pressure and win medal after medal. And, while I do not like Chelsea, anyone reasonable must admit their first Mourinho era side of 2004-2006 was superior to any side Wenger managed to put out.

hn4manunited

There are 2-3 goals in there, where he takes a subtle first touch from a through ball that takes out his marker, another touch to set himself, and then a composed finish far corner, from the inside-left channel. Very much like Martial's 1st goal this season (and a few in the LvG season).
Yes. exactly. The similarities are there for sure. I wouldn't doubt that young players would try to mimic their football heroes but you need to be gifted the characteristics naturally, to be able to be that similar.

Tarrou

Don't think I've ever feared an opposition player as much as him in the PL.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Well we United fans of course had biased opinion at that time, it's normal, even when Di Maria first came here many people said he is better than Sanchez
tbh at Madrid, atleast in his last season for them, he definitely was better than Sanchez.

criticalanalysis

There are 2-3 goals in there, where he takes a subtle first touch from a through ball that takes out his marker, another touch to set himself, and then a composed finish far corner, from the inside-left channel. Very much like Martial's 1st goal this season (and a few in the LvG season).
Not watched the video but that practically describes a lot of Henry's style of finishing when through on goal. If anything, that's actually kind of a trademark for him. The brilliant touch and pace to get to the goal and then impeccable timing and angle to slot it pass the keeper. It's not a Cruyff turn but that's the one singular thing I remember about his game i.e pure elegancy and efficiency. Walcott modeled his finishing on Henry a lot.

freeurmind

weak willed
God, the tackle at 1:09. Had studs digged into his calf. Not even a yellow
Football has changed a lot. Yellows and reds come out for a lot less these days. Much easier for the attackers. New offside rule also.

Listar

That goal against us still gives me nightmares.

Hands down one of the best player in PL so far. Me fearing Henry with our United team at their peak more than Hazard with our team last few years says a lot.

To that troll that mentioned Drogba, Terry and Lampard, well done. Henry accomplished nothing other than being part of the invincibles. Have anyone done that since? I hated that invincibles team very much, but never Henry. Only respect and fear. He is class, unlike Keown Cole etc.

Moonwalker

I absolutely hated him as a player, but had to begrudgingly admit he is great.

In a completely opposite predicament now, I sort of like him now as a pundit (for whatever reason), but have to begrudgingly admit he is quite terrible at it. His English is terrible (and not just the thicknesses of his accent either), and the probability of him uttering something insightful is lamentably low.

lawliet354

tbh at Madrid, atleast in his last season for them, he definitely was better than Sanchez.
But still highly inconsistent though, that motm final against Atletico was brilliant for sure, but he's always an inconsistent player, Sanchez looked like he lost a bit of confidence and his finishing in his Barca days, but he always performs for Chile, just didn't suit Barca style

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
He's not a United fan :lol:.
He can simply appreciate the younger generation of French and Belgium players that he knows and has worked with. Also just because a player had another player as their "idol" doesn't mean they are fans of that player's club. Bergkamp's idol was Glenn Hoddle but he has been adamant he wasn't a Spurs fan. He was just inspired by and followed Hoddle.

Rajma

I absolutely hated him as a player, but had to begrudgingly admit he is great.

In a completely opposite predicament now, I sort of like him now as a pundit (for whatever reason), but have to begrudgingly admit he is quite terrible at it. His English is terrible (and not just the thicknesses of his accent either), and the probability of him uttering something insightful is lamentably low.
It is clearly not terrible. I would say close to as good as you can get from speaker whose mother's tongue is not English and if you discount Holland and some Scandinavian countries that utilize English really well.

RC89

:lol:
Didn't he do something similar when they had breaking news that a manager had been sacked? Or am I thinking of someone else. Might even have been Carragher himself.
Yup, Brendan. It was amazing to watch, he was in complete shock, touching Carra affectionately to ease the blow.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
I like him as a pundit. His views on Arsenal were bang on, must be hard to be so scathing about a club you love and a manager he must respect. Likeable fella as well unlike a load of them who I'd happily see do an Andy Gray and disappear for a long while. Craig Burley being the one that really winds me up recently, you'd think he was Cruyff the way he speaks.

Dobbs

Watching the Euro 2000 vid and Rashford really reminds me of Henry. It's unlikely Rashford will ever be that good but in terms of style very similar.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I want to say thanks to the Technical Staff, to the medical team and all teammates with whom I shared many nice things for the club and especially those people who do not see themselves on the covers, but without them nothing would be possible, which are there to prepare food for us and take care of us day by day, those who keep our shoes clean and the grass in the best conditions. Many thanks to you for helping us to improve every day. Thank you very much . There are people (former club players) who have spoken with no knowledge of what happens inside the club and cause damage. I must say I always gave 100%, until the last day, when I asked to the Mister to be in the team, because I wanted to be a contribution. I remember today, a conversation I had with Henry, a historic Arsenal player, who changed club for the same reason and today is my turn. Thanks for everything Gunners! All we achieved and the good moments that I gave to the club, I want to dedicate it to the fans, they are the most important. Thanks for every time you sing Alexis Sanchez Baby.
Thierry is a United fan no doubt!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Was watching a Henry compilation and damn, he was so fecking good. What I'd give to witness a player like him again in the PL week in week out...

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I disagree, Drogba is no where near Henry, Terry and Lampard are an apples and oranges comparison.

Was watching a Henry compilation and damn, he was so fecking good. What I'd give to witness a player like him again in the PL week in week out...
Going purely by statistics for players playing 80+ games in the PL you do every week with Aguero and Kane. All three are very close to .70 goals per game, and have maintained it over a long period of time like Henry. The next best is Shearer at around 0.60, but given the longevity of his career and the sheer number of goals it is still a phenomenal record. You could even say someone like a Salah or Suarez is better on a goal ratio perspective. But they have not achieved it over a prolonged period of time like an Henry. And this is the biggest test, to maintain such a high performance level. The jury is still out on Salah to see if he can maintain his level of excellence over a prolonged period of time. Suarez left the PL to play in Spain, so harder to judge.

lysglimt

Scout
I disagree, Drogba is no where near Henry, Terry and Lampard are an apples and oranges comparison.

Going purely by statistics for players playing 80+ games in the PL you do every week with Aguero and Kane. All three are very close to .70 goals per game, and have maintained it over a long period of time like Henry. The next best is Shearer at around 0.60, but given the longevity of his career and the sheer number of goals it is still a phenomenal record. You could even say someone like a Salah or Suarez is better on a goal ratio perspective. But they have not achieved it over a prolonged period of time like an Henry. And this is the biggest test, to maintain such a high performance level. The jury is still out on Salah to see if he can maintain his level of excellence over a prolonged period of time. Suarez left the PL to play in Spain, so harder to judge.
You can't really compare a player who played regularly at 18-19 with players coming to the P.L in their prime. Shearer scored 23 goals in his first 118 matches for Southampton. Shearer at Blackburn was the best striker the P.L has ever seen. 112 goals in 138 matches without too many brilliant players around him - was incredible. And that included a bad injury that kept him out for half a season