Thierry Henry

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
You can't really compare a player who played regularly at 18-19 with players coming to the P.L in their prime. Shearer scored 23 goals in his first 118 matches for Southampton. Shearer at Blackburn was the best striker the P.L has ever seen. 112 goals in 138 matches without too many brilliant players around him - was incredible. And that included a bad injury that kept him out for half a season
Absolutely, I am talking more looking back on an entire PL career, which is why it is hard to judge a player like Suarez. Who was great and then left, hard to say where a player of his skills would sit in a list of greats.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I disagree, Drogba is no where near Henry, Terry and Lampard are an apples and oranges comparison.

Going purely by statistics for players playing 80+ games in the PL you do every week with Aguero and Kane. All three are very close to .70 goals per game, and have maintained it over a long period of time like Henry. The next best is Shearer at around 0.60, but given the longevity of his career and the sheer number of goals it is still a phenomenal record. You could even say someone like a Salah or Suarez is better on a goal ratio perspective. But they have not achieved it over a prolonged period of time like an Henry. And this is the biggest test, to maintain such a high performance level. The jury is still out on Salah to see if he can maintain his level of excellence over a prolonged period of time. Suarez left the PL to play in Spain, so harder to judge.
Henry was more than a goalscorer. That's not to say Aguero and Kane only offer goals. Indeed, Aguero reminds me of Romario, and the latter has an all round selflessness. When I think of Henry, the first thing that comes to mind is his flair. Personally, one of the most elegant players in the EPL era.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Going purely by statistics for players playing 80+ games in the PL you do every week with Aguero and Kane. All three are very close to .70 goals per game, and have maintained it over a long period of time like Henry. The next best is Shearer at around 0.60, but given the longevity of his career and the sheer number of goals it is still a phenomenal record. You could even say someone like a Salah or Suarez is better on a goal ratio perspective. But they have not achieved it over a prolonged period of time like an Henry. And this is the biggest test, to maintain such a high performance level. The jury is still out on Salah to see if he can maintain his level of excellence over a prolonged period of time. Suarez left the PL to play in Spain, so harder to judge.
There’s more to a game than just goals. Only Suarez came close to Henry’s all-round influence on the game. Agüero is probably a more prolific scorer, but he is no where near in terms of the creativity and hold up play. Salah is even further away.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
As much as I used to hate that Arsenal team back in the day, I couldn't help but admire Henry. I was terrified of him, probably more than any other player for an opposition team in the league, but he was glorious to watch. Brilliant player.

lysglimt

Scout
As much as I used to hate that Arsenal team back in the day, I couldn't help but admire Henry. I was terrified of him, probably more than any other player for an opposition team in the league, but he was glorious to watch. Brilliant player.
Agreed - there were players in that Arsenal-team that made me want to puke. But Henry was just respect!

lysglimt

Scout
Haha aye there were a few I couldn't stand at all. But Henry was brilliant.
Ljungberg was the worst - always whining. Even his teammates in the Swedish national-team thought he was the biggest whiner! Keown, Lehmann - yeah there were a few

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I absolutely hated Henry and Wenger when they were at their peaks for obvious reasons. I remember being on another forum around 02/04 and some South Americans were writing off Henry saying that Cavenaghi and Robinho were much better players and I suddenly found myself really defensive of Henry’s quality and realised I actually didn’t hate him at all. Distinctly remember it being a very odd feeling.

spaceboyRSA

I hated henry. So much. More than any other player at the time.

I was young and immature and it just shows what an amazing player he was. I hated him out of spite.

Vault Dweller

I absolutely hated Henry and Wenger when they were at their peaks for obvious reasons. I remember being on another forum around 02/04 and some South Americans were writing off Henry saying that Cavenaghi and Robinho were much better players and I suddenly found myself really defensive of Henry’s quality and realised I actually didn’t hate him at all. Distinctly remember it being a very odd feeling.
:lol: I think I ended up doing that one time in an argument over Bergkamp.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wouldn't mind looking like Roberto Pires either. Great player.

Vault Dweller

They put together quite a loathesome outfit.

Whereas these days they're barely worth anyone's hate.
Yes, they were extremely loathsome. Apart from Liverpool, I loved beating them over anyone else.

Aye I'm apathetic to them these days. Which I think is a shame, I miss the absolute battles we had against them.

Posh Red

Henry was more than a goalscorer. That's not to say Aguero and Kane only offer goals. Indeed, Aguero reminds me of Romario, and the latter has an all round selflessness. When I think of Henry, the first thing that comes to mind is his flair. Personally, one of the most elegant players in the EPL era.
Kane is a good all round player but I wouldn’t call him selfless tbh. He is not afraid to shoot, even when there are good passing options, and he even went so far as trying to claim one of his own teammates goals!