Things about football that get you unreasonably annoyed…

Abraxas

Time wasting.

Not just the obvious, deliberate stuff. But all the faff around free kicks, throw ins, goalkeepers taking ages. It should be about ball in play. What are TV stations and fans paying money for? It's to watch football, we're not interested in that rubbish. Yes it's tactical and smart when your team does the obvious stuff, but in the long run it's a net negative for entertainment because you're on the receiving end eventually.

We've got a great product in the PL but this is the one thing that would stand to make it a lot better. We'd get more of a good thing.

Wilt

Feigning injury
Diving
Cheating
Whinging
Time wasting
Acting like an obnoxious cnut

RyRy11

Talksport and the click bait culture in punditry. Any meaningful analysis about the game is derailed by outlandish claims aimed to rile up a certain fanbase on any given day.

always_hoping

Talksport and the click bait culture in punditry. Any meaningful analysis about the game is derailed by outlandish claims aimed to rile up a certain fanbase on any given day.
Yes real red label rag like stuff from them

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Oh and all players putting the ball a tiny smidge outside the little box when taking a corner. Oh, well done you smuggled 1 millimeter, fecking genius.

Robertd0803

TV broadcasters apologising for rude chanting.
Broadcasters apologising for bad language picked up by the pitchfield mics or when a player accidentaly swears in a post match interview is another one. They arent fecking robots.

On that topic Rooney getting banned vs West Ham in 2011 still annoys me.

Hoof the ball

This one is quite clear in my mind.

The increasing commonality of most players from all teams being fouled, and instead of getting up, they're down for well over a minute or two even though it's a nigh impossibility that the level of contact could have ever have hoped to leave the player in considerable (and unrecoverable) pain. Now, you'd be forgiven for thinking this is the occasional player making a meal of things, but it's widespread now, in every game and multiple repeated instances of it. Everyone is getting fouled and just not getting up. It's constantly stopping games and it's not even logical since teams dominating the momentum in their favour are still doing it repeatedly. It's a habit of the modern game that's rooted in the need for dishonesty.

I watch games from the 00's, 90's, 80's and 70's periodically and in all those decades there are harder tackles permitted, yet, there is a fraction of the time on the floor. How? Has the human body undergone some drastic regression in a decade or two? Pain threshold just withered away? Makes little sense that players in the past could take a tough foul and still make it up off the floor within a minute, yet, your average player now absolutely must kill a minute or two everytime he's brought down.

I hate it more than I have diving. At least with diving the player wins the freekick and the play resumes almost immediately, but the hurt exaggeration cnuts strip minutes and minutes from games for no reason at all.

dazjoe

Players clearly kicking the ball out for a corner or goal kick, then putting their hand up and shouting "our ball!" when they know damn well it isn't.
And the fact no one cares that this happens. How is it any different to diving? It's cheating, pure and simple. You know it's their ball and you're trying to con the ref into giving the decision your way. Cheating.

Reactions: Wibble

croadyman

Commentators calling Firmino "Bobby" and half & half scarves would be my other one

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
American bandwagon Man City fans
Where are they? I live in the US and I've seen a City shirt once

There are far more United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea shirts around

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
All the social media stuff where its a 5second clip of 1 of 90 incidents in a game and someone has apparently been "owned" or "found out" just because someone got past them with the ball, played one bad pass etc.

Or digging our a clip utterly out of context and playing it 8 years on.

Basically social media.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Refs not enforcing the rules and then moaning about a lack of respect.

TV broadcasters apologising for rude chanting.
It's never about chanting is it?
More when you get a soundbite of some moron screaming swears at a player.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
A pro who stopped playing twenty years ago, claiming a player "isn't that type of player" when they go in two footed on someone.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Even so, what does the apology achieve?
It's in their legal contract with the broadcaster.
Like when TGIF with Chris Evans kept allowing assorted goons to swear live on air. They simply made them record it.

I dare say broadcasters would get fines, threats etc if they didn't at least make this token apology gesture.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Ex-players (and others) who become pundits. You expect them to have an insight into the game that most of us civilians don’t but apparently not. The level of Clickbait bullshit is horrible.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Ex-players (and others) who become pundits. You expect them to have an insight into the game that most of us civilians don’t but apparently not. The level of Clickbait bullshit is horrible.
Given the dreg level of discourse civilians engage at regarding football matters, they deserve shit pundits.

croadyman

It's in their legal contract with the broadcaster.
Like when TGIF with Chris Evans kept allowing assorted goons to swear live on air. They simply made them record it.

I dare say broadcasters would get fines, threats etc if they didn't at least make this token apology gesture.
Like the Shaun Ryder thing

RUUD_10_LEGEND

YouTube etc thinking that if I'm watching a football-related video, I must therefore be interested in betting.

I've put a whole one bet on in my entire life and pretty much despise gambling and skip every ad I can relating to it, yet I can't watch a video without having Ray Winstone or Jeff Selling shoved in my face.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Why are they worse than American bandwagon Liverpool, Arsenal or Man United fans?
Because these teams have been supported for a long time in the US, United and Liverpool have had huge support in "Irish" areas of US cities like Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia and New York for decades, so have Rangers and Celtic for that matter, not sure for Arsenal but it isn't a recent thing with them

Ole'sgunnarwin

When commentators say 'it was the right idea'.

In the match today a Luton player just kicked the ball from the halfway line straight to the Coventry keeper. It's hardy genius.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I saw quite a few City shirts in Philly when I was there last year.

A lot of Wrexham shirts too, which makes sense cos of Rob McElhenney.
Haven't been to Philly for a few years but I'm pretty sure it won't be on the level of the other clubs yet, Wrexham obviously for their ownership

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
People calling some coaches "tactical geniuses" for parking the bus and winning in a random counter that was literally the only shot on target the team had.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I'll keep this specific to things about modern football that annoy me:

xEverything
"Mentality monsters / midgets"
"Press-resistant"
Describing positions by their associated numbers (1, 9, and 10 are okay as they've always been part of the lexicon. 6 and 8? feck off!)
YouTubers / influencers

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I'll keep this specific to things about modern football that annoy me:

xEverything
"Mentality monsters / midgets"
"Press-resistant"
Describing positions by their associated numbers (1, 9, and 10 are okay as they've always been part of the lexicon. 6 and 8? feck off!)
YouTubers / influencers
I like this, and I'll add to this, pundit: he felt a touch and is entitled to go down

Kellyiom

Totally! Aside from the morality issues and all that, these betting companies make billions yet their adverts are the cheesiest, cringiest most hideous ads going. There's no need.

But it says a lot about their ultimate goal, with a tiny disclaimer at the end about don't chase losses etc.

I think every account that gets opened has to have a compulsory video showing how they make their money in detail and every bet you make should show how much they are making as a result of your action or inaction.