Things about football that get you unreasonably annoyed…

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Opposing fans unable to have a civil conversation without it coming down to one up man ship, prehistoric tribal rivalry or straight up wummery.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
When two teams that are based far from the venue get to a final and people demand the stadium be moved to a neutral location nearer to where the teams are based. As if the only preparation and planning for these events is to stick a pin in a map two or three weeks before.

Every World Cup should be held in Switzerland because its silly that the majority of fans from Europe where most of the teams come from have to travel so far
You've obviously never been to Switzerland, the majority of fans could never afford to go there, it's a seriously expensive country

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
One of the reasons I'm not too keen on Rice is because he wears 41. That simply shouldn't be allowed.
So if Messi, Ronaldo, Kane or any top player wore number 41 you wouldn't be keen on them?

Oscar Bonavena

I hate big numbers on player's shirts too, anything over 20 gets on my nerves. I like the way Roy Keane stuck with 16 throughout his United career though, even though he surely could have taken a lower number. "16" became his trademark.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I hate big numbers on player's shirts too, anything over 20 gets on my nerves. I like the way Roy Keane stuck with 16 throughout his United career though, even though he surely could have taken a lower number. "16" became his trademark.
I don't mind numbers like Keane sticking with 16, Scholes 18, Vidic 15, etc. but there's no reason for any senior player to have a number higher than 25.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I don't mind numbers like Keane sticking with 16, Scholes 18, Vidic 15, etc. but there's no reason for any senior player to have a number higher than 25.
Rice has 41 because it was the first squad number he was given as a kid, he's proud of it, reminds him of where he started from so fair play to him

RobertoBaggio99

That every other club is being bought by Saudi criminals and brainless supporters flip-flop their moral compasses to allow it.

Bobski

People looking at the slightest brush of foot on foot on a frame by frame replay and calling it a blatant pen. I am quite happy that the game always had the unwritten rule that a pen has to be a higher grade of foul than something soft and inconsequential on the half way line. It may not be logical in a reading of the laws but it stops the game becoming a circus were either we have 12 penalties a game or defenders are terrified to get close to an attacker as soon as they enter the box.

Last edited:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Correct. It's not spring training baseball.
This reference means nothing to me but I agree, it is not spring training baseball.

That said, Luke Shaw being number 23 really winds me up because he was initially given the vacant 3, a far more sensible number.

Superunknown

The "Who are ya" chant. It's ridiculously stupid. I hate it and I hate anyone who does it. Hope their shoes have a hole in them and the rainwater has made its way in there. Feck 'em.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This reference means nothing to me but I agree, it is not spring training baseball.

That said, Luke Shaw being number 23 really winds me up because he was initially given the vacant 3, a far more sensible number.
Get your point, but gotta disagree. That is a sacred sports number for many. It was Michael Jordan's number for the majority of his career.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
The "Who are ya" chant. It's ridiculously stupid. I hate it and I hate anyone who does it. Hope their shoes have a hole in them and the rainwater has made its way in there. Feck 'em.
Who are you to tell people what they can and can't chant?

AndySmith1990

People describing football players in their early 20s as kids. As if football exists in an alternate universe where normal rules don't apply

stw2022

Not football directly but that HITC Youtube channel that makes mini documentaries of football topics that on the face of it look interesting. But they're 30 mins long and the first 20 minutes are like listen to Grandpa Simpson go of on a tangent ramble

"United signed Fred in 2018, the same year as the Russian World Cup, where the final was played in Moscow in front of 78,000 fans who paid an average of £328 for tickets, this means it was the second most lucrative final in history. Speaking of history, the FA Cup final considered the most historic was the white horse final of 1923. A white horse also appears on the Ipswich Town badge which is believed to be the a Suffolk punch. But that isn't the only famous punch in football. In 1989 Brian Clough punched his own fans who invaded the pitch during a league Cup match against Sheffield United...."

... and you're 20 mins in and forget its a video that's actually about the finances of Serie A teams in the 90s

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

The 'let ex-players be refs' idea that gains momentum from some fans and pundits everytime VAR has a bad weekend. As if having ex-players as refs wouldn't cause more issues than it would solve.

LASpurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Commentators that use a players first name when he's about to take a pop at goal. i.e. "Here's Kane, Kane through the middle, HARRY Kane" and then either a goal or a miss.

It's so formulaic and boring. Most of the commentators on NBC over here do it. Is it some form of standard BS that commentators have to say?

stw2022

When a player let's the ball run out of play for a goal kick because he knows he's coming back from an offside position.

Surely touching the ball and forcing the opposition to take a free kick down near their own corner flag is preferable even if you know you're off?

stw2022

The faux importance of pre-season matches. Increasingly fans are talking about individual performance and tactics in these games. I find it strange. The only reason we're even seeing these glorified fitness training sessions is because they make the club a few quid.

Reading fans critiquing performances of players is bizarre

9 Stone Elvis

The faux importance of pre-season matches. Increasingly fans are talking about individual performance and tactics in these games. I find it strange. The only reason we're even seeing these glorified fitness training sessions is because they make the club a few quid.

Reading fans critiquing performances of players is bizarre
Totally agree. Back in the day you read the result and there was hardly even a match report, now you have it shown live on telly somewhere and its a "cup competition" and the broadcaster is trying to attach something to it because they bought the rights.

Literally the only reason to watch a pre-season game is to see a new signing and to check what the new shirts look like.

Last summer we horsed Liverpool in pre-season, I dont need to remind anyone what our first two league results were.....

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
People describing football players in their early 20s as kids. As if football exists in an alternate universe where normal rules don't apply
I dare say when you get a bit older you'll realise early 20s is still being a kid

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
I dare say when you get a bit older you'll realise early 20s is still being a kid
Yeah man, I see the shit I used to post in Facebook when I was in my early 20s and I feel ashamed of myself.

There is a reason in football you are considered a youngster until the age of 23. I think it is closer to when you truly become an adult than 18.

Big Andy

Bloke
“[insert shit backwater yonner team name] boys, we’re on a bender…[insert name of he who can’t be named] is (allegedly) a sex offender”

They all fecking sing it, and it’s fecking shit.

Chairman Steve

I find the overall environment of punditry in football to be horrible a lot of the time. You’ve got the cliche-ridden drivel on mainstream media that you could play bingo for every live coverage of a game and see how many generic terms get uttered by your stereotypical ex-pro.

And then on the other end of the spectrum, you’ve got those stereotypical smug, bespectacled neckbeard hipsters who talk nothing but xG and xA, as they wear some fecking retro shirt of River Plate and probably never played a game of football as a kid.

Is it too hard to find some middle ground between Billy Ex-Pro yelling ‘PASHUN UN DEESAIUH’ every 5 minutes and Hugo Hipster smugly saying ‘Well I’ve always liked Atalanta before they made it into Europe’ as he sips his latte and sneers into the camera.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Moaning and posting in matchdays threads , real fans are watching the game not reading the shite that's being typed

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
A couple of players get injured.

Fans of said club: ”This only happens at our club. Why do we have a medical department?”

A signing takes a couple of days longer than originally expected (by the fans).

Fans of said club: ”Only at this club. Why can’t we do our business like other clubs?”

Happens at every club and their set of fans. Fecking tiring.

Albin Johansson

Some pro players not being able to hit a decent cross while any non-pro seems able to do it on a more consistent basis. I realize that it is a more complex matter with the differences in e.g. level of defence, yet it doesn't explain why a player like Antonio Valencia could not get into his head that a hard struck low ball wasn't his only option.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
When the ball is in play, and the broadcast is showing anything other than where the ball is; like someone in the crowd, close up of a player who was involved in something that happened previously, a sub warming up, showing a replay, etc.

Josh 76

When a foreign player show an imaginary card for a player to get booked and the Co-comentater says I don't like seeing that and when an English player does it, its never mentioned.