Things you might not know about United

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Bill Foulkes and Nobby Stiles hold the club record for most own goals with 5 each. Phil Jones is trailing miserably with a paltry 3

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Bill Foulkes and Nobby Stiles hold the club record for most own goals with 5 each. Phil Jones is trailing miserably with a paltry 3
Though if you include other clubs played for, then Wes Brown and Rio Ferdinand top the table with a staggering 6 each.

Richard Dunne holds the record with 10 followed by Jamie Carragher on 7!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Don't be harsh on Phil, I think he's on 4 to be fair. Still time though.
Think you're right a quick bit of googling shows 2 PL own goals and 2 Champions league own goals - I'd forgotten his classic against Valencia - go Phil!

Revaulx

I don't know many that supported both, though plenty of people watched both when they were at home. I think most had a preferred team though - a team they'd shout for in the derby match if you like. My dad did it as a young man, but he was United when it came to allegiances.

Before live football became a regular thing on TV, there wasn't another option. Matches kicked off at 3pm on Saturday - encouraging it to be a habit. You didn't need a ticket, you just showed up at the ground, and stood with friends, family, like minded fans as the case might be. A different pattern of match going really.
Yeah we used to go to Maine Road quite often in the 70s and early 80s; though no way were we “supporting” City, other than paying them the entry fee.

The best bit was having a silent chuckle at their fans’ constant moaning about individual players. Just like on here these days...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Beardsley otherwise known as Quasimodo was with us too.

Don Revie was touted for the job but didn't want to follow Busby

Cloughie wanted to manage us

Revaulx

Bishop Auckland- tiny club in the north east loaned us 3 of thier best players after Munich air disaster - forward Hardisty, right winger Warren Bradley and wing half Derek Lewin. All played the first game.
After Warren Bradley’s career was curtailed by injury he trained as a teacher; in the 80s he was head of Lostock School in Stretford, up the road from where I was then living.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Jamie Redknapp was once touted to replace SAF as manager.
That was a lucky escape for us then.
Touted can mean different things to different people especially if he was 'touted' by the papers.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Beardsley otherwise known as Quasimodo was with us too.

Don Revie was touted for the job but didn't want to follow Busby

Cloughie wanted to manage us
Christ knows what would have happened, maybe no SAF?

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Laurie Cunningham played for us briefly

Last edited:

Nikelesh Reddy

Been a fan since 1979 and I had no idea David Platt was a Utd apprentice, and that he and Mark Hughes were offered to West Brom in 1981 as part of the Bryan Robson deal. West brom weren't interested apparently. Never knew that.

Edit: the part about Platt and Hughes being offered to West Brom may need confirming, as it was told me by my friend in work who is a big West Brom fan.
I”ve been a fan since 2001 and I never knew that George Graham was a former United player.I only found out recently....In all these years I never heard or read anything about him playing for us,which was a bit weird because he’s a manager who won multiple league titles...

Moriarty

United played their first two home games of the 1971-72 season at Anfield and the Victoria Ground respectively. Not a lot of people know that...

Loon

:lol:
Matt Busby’s census cert lists his profession as a “Fruitboiler” His thick Scots accent could not be understood by the person writing the doc.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Hazard would have signed for Utd, if Chelsea never won the champions league in 2012. He wanted Champions league football, and Chelsea got it by wining the trophy, after finishing out of the top 4 that season.
I don't think that's correct. Had we matched the agent fees, there's every chance he'd be playing for United now.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Okay folks I think we get that Peter Beardsley played for United. :lol:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I”ve been a fan since 2001 and I never knew that George Graham was a former United player.I only found out recently....In all these years I never heard or read anything about him playing for us,which was a bit weird because he’s a manager who won multiple league titles...
Frighteningly bad player

Reiver

It's probably well known but - Sir Matt Busby being twice read the Last Rites in the wake of the Munich air disaster. I always find it an equal mix of inspiring and humbling.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
We got kicked out of the Cup winners cup in 1978 after a brawl with St Ettiene in france. We were reinstated but for some reason we had to play the return leg a certain distance for Old Trafford. We ended up playing at Home park, Plymouth.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Carlo Sartori was United's first 'foreign' player, although he came up through the ranks.

Dan

In 1964 Phil Chisnall was the last player to be transferred directly between United and Liverpool.

simplyared

Louis Edwards, son of a Salford butcher was chairman at Man Utd at the same time Matt Busby was manager during the 60's and 70's. He took over his fathers meat business after his death 1943. Thanks to the lucrative meat business and his lifelong obsession with the club, he managed to aquire himself over 50% of the shares. Not only did he get control over the club through bungs to shareholders. He was also bunging officials representing the schools of Manchester to buy his meat. Problem was the meat had been condemned unfit for human consumption. All these allegations any many more were presented in the TV programme World in Action. Four weeks after the programme went on the air, Edwards died of a heart attack and police investigations were dropped. His son Martin Edwards replaced him as chairman but was forced to resign in 2002 after allegations in the Sunday Mirror about him "cavorting" with a prostitute after a Champions League game in Geneva. Me, I can't help thinking about all those meat pies I ate at the ground before the kick-off back in the day!

David Bartley

Billy the Goat, Manchester United mascot from 1905-1909. Used to go to the pub with the players and died of alcohol poisoning after celebrating the 1909 FA Cup final.
Billy is an animal after my own heart.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
There's something involving Peter Beardsley but I don't remember the details.

ROFLUTION

This always gets me, got it from a United-book I once read.. Can someone confirm this? Love these stories from the old days.

Back in the industrial days, when the factories were ever so present and everyone got their weekly release from their hard work by watching United, sometimes if Man Utd were behind in a game, a lot of steam would be put out by a nearby factory on purpose, making such a thick fog that the game would be cancelled/delayed :lol:

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Been a fan since 1979 and I had no idea David Platt was a Utd apprentice, and that he and Mark Hughes were offered to West Brom in 1981 as part of the Bryan Robson deal. West brom weren't interested apparently. Never knew that.

Edit: the part about Platt and Hughes being offered to West Brom may need confirming, as it was told me by my friend in work who is a big West Brom fan.
Never heard that before.

Firstly Hughes was still a junior and had only just broken into the Reserves...never ever played a first team game. Could be true but very strange.

Secondly, Platt hadn't left school so that is impossible.