Third Best Player this Generation

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Varies with how you interpret the term generation. Gen Y typically ranges from 1981 to 1996 or 1977 to 1994 for demographers. If we stick with the former, there's no room for Xavi, Ronaldinho, Henry and the likes. I'd probably rank the Top 10 as:

1. L Messi
2. C. Ronaldo
3. A. Iniesta
4. A. Robben
5. P. Lahm
6. L. Modrić
7. Neymar
8. Z. Ibrahimović
9. L. Suárez
10. D. Alves

Followed by the likes of Kaká, Ribéry, Neuer, Fußballgott. Neymar could very well end up as a Top 3/4 player for that generation over the coming years, especially considering his Brazil career in terms of being THE point of reference.
Not a bad list at all. It's between Iniesta and Lahm for me.

Treble

Gotta be Iniesta. Similar club trophy count to Messi and Ronaldo and an international career that destroys them both.

Robben? Stats wise and trophy count good but nowhere near Messi and Ronaldo but has international performances better than Ronaldo and maybe even Messi.

Thoughts?
Hard to say anything precise before you clarify the time-frame of this geneation. 1980-1990? 1985-1995?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Rooney was better than Robben imo. Small margins but peak Rooney over peak Robben.
Nah, peak Rooney was great, would personally pick him even ahead of Zlatan, but Robben was/is unstoppable on form. Pretty much could win you games on his own. Rooney for all his ability wasn't on that level.

Verminator

Nah, peak Rooney was great, would personally pick him even ahead of Zlatan, but Robben was/is unstoppable on form. Pretty much could win you games on his own. Rooney for all his ability wasn't on that level.
He really was, though.

Edit: I should qualify that by admitting I was a critic of his decline even before SAF retired.
Rooney before that was at times unplayable, and usually turned games our way, unless Ronnie was doing it.

AngliaRed

Neymar hands down! He’s phenomenal and will break records and win loads.

The argument is he’s only doing it in a poor french league.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Kaka didn't have the best season in the league. A good one, but not great. He did have better seasons when it comes to league. CL decided that year where Kaka was unplayable. I would also give that one to Kaka, but overall, small margins between them.
It was definitely his best season in the league. The problem was he was literally a one-man team in the league. Pirlo, Seedorf, Nesta, Maldini, etc, they didn't give a shit about the league that season and played accordingly. He had to win games entirely by himself. By the run-in in the CL he began to pace himself on the CL and his league performancea dropped, but overall he was incredible. And clearly the best player in the world

Jim Beam

He really was, though.
Too rare for me. When he was young he could run through the defence and get goals out of nothing. But, that dribbling ability which Robben has is something else. Would describe it best as creating chaos on a regular basis throughout the match.

When Rooney had his best season by some (that 2009/10, for me, that wasn't his best) he was a brilliant goalscorer, but already beginning to rely on service of other players. The way I see it, Rooney never put together on the highest level that capability to run through defence which he had at the very young age along with his goalscoring, which would make him a genuine contender for a place in this thread.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
1. L Messi
2. C. Ronaldo
3. A. Iniesta
4. A. Robben
5. P. Lahm
6. L. Modrić
7. Neymar
8. Z. Ibrahimović
9. L. Suárez
10. D. Alves
That's a good list you got there.
I didn't realise you were so knowledgeable about World football.
Well done.

Jim Beam

It was definitely his best season in the league. The problem was he was literally a one-man team in the league. Pirlo, Seedorf, Nesta, Maldini, etc, they didn't give a shit about the league that season and played accordingly. He had to win games entirely by himself. By the run-in in the CL he began to pace himself on the CL and his league performancea dropped, but overall he was incredible. And clearly the best player in the world
Would choose his performances in the league in the next two seasons, especially his last season, above that one. He was even more of a one-man team and with a much weaker side (Jankolovski, Flamini, etc).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Would choose his performances in the league in the next two seasons, especially his last season, above that one. He was even more of a one-man team and with a much weaker side (Jankolovski, Flamini, etc).
True that but he wasn't quite as good. First half of 2006/07 in the league he was a comet.

Skills

Snitch
Apart of course, from the man of match - game winning performances in the 2015 Champions League Final, 2008 European Cup Final, 2012 European Cup Final and 2010 World Cup final.

If you forget about those performances he was totally overrated.
Killed us in the 2009 final too after our early burst with that through ball to etoo. Arguably the best big match player of this generation

Number1

I wouldn't class Iniesta/Xavi this generation, they was at their best 08-12.

I'd probably say Neymar.

diarm

Killed us in the 2009 final too after our early burst with that through ball to etoo. Arguably the best big match player of this generation
That was my first thought reading the post above.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I digress. I think Rooney was more of a match winner. :D
Robben egdes it for me because of 2014. As for Rooney, it's actually a good shout, what holds him back is that he was second-fiddle to cristiano until 2009 and then only had two truly great seasons after Cris left...compared to Robben who dragged bayern to a CL final on his own, Holland to a WC SF, and was THE game winner in the run in of bayern's domination in 12/13

Jim Beam

I digress. I think Rooney was more of a match winner. :D
Think I get what you mean. I'm a big fan of young Rooney. He and Robben are of similar age and by the age 24,25, Rooney has advantage. But Robben shifted to another gear from that time.

Anyway, a matter of personal opinion.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Think I get what you mean. I'm a big fan of young Rooney. He and Robben are of similar age and by the age 24,25, Rooney has advantage. But Robben shifted to another gear from that time.

Anyway, a matter of personal opinion.
See now we agree. But would you put young Rooney over older Robben.
Who edges it overall?

Young Rooney was better than young Ronaldo and on par with Messi.
Robben never got there imo.

Jim Beam

See now we agree. But would you put young Rooney over older Robben.
Who edges it overall?

Young Rooney was better than young Ronaldo and on par with Messi.
Robben never got there imo.
It's a tough one, but I would take Robben from 2010 - 2014. Robben at times and when he was on form got very close to Ronaldo/Messi who were on a much higher level than at the start of their career. Even absolutely outperformed them on the international level.

If I had to choose one of them for a deciding match, I would choose that version of Robben. Ideally, would take them both.

Enigma_87

You know who
Xavi by far was the most influential player for club(bar Messi) and country over the last decade. Followed by Iniesta. The rest doesn't come close.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Surprised how many are saying Iniesta, absolutely glorious player during his purple patches but his form has had various periods where something clearly wasn't right and is clearly a lesser player without Xavi next to him.

It's Xavi for me.

Billy Blaggs

It's a tough one, but I would take Robben from 2010 - 2014. Robben at times and when he was on form got very close to Ronaldo/Messi who were on a much higher level than at the start of their career. Even absolutely outperformed them on the international level.

If I had to choose one of them for a deciding match, I would choose that version of Robben. Ideally, would take them both.
It's so close. Still I'd go with early Rooney.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Surprised how many are saying Iniesta, absolutely glorious player during his purple patches but his form has had various periods where something clearly wasn't right and is clearly a lesser player without Xavi next to him.

It's Xavi for me.
Many people go by Invictus' assumption that Xavi belongs to the different generation. If they both belong to the same one, Xavi edges is — even though Iniesta outperformed him (and pretty much everyone) in big games.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
After 10pm Rooney is usually 4 beers in and halfway through a kebab.
That's why he's faded ao badly. As a brit it should be 6 beers and fish&chips

Bloody foriners ruinong good english cuisine

Skills

Snitch
Many people go by Invictus' assumption that Xavi belongs to the different generation. If they both belong to the same one, Xavi edges is — even though Iniesta outperformed him (and pretty much everyone) in big games.
Up until about 2 years ago I would have had Xavi second behind Messi. Ronaldos updated his CV big time since then, so for me the top 3 are clearly Messi, Ronaldo and Xavi followed by Iniesta.

Crocky

Supports
Liverpool
Neymar for me.

Suarez should be up there but I wouldn't vote for him unless it was an I'm a celebrity challenge where he had to be pissed on by a load of Aids infested monkeys.

As much as I think Iniesta has immense talent, he was never a real game changer and he really should have scored a few more goals being in teams like peak Barca and Spain. I don't even think he was as good as peak Scholes, and that's not easy to admit being a Liverpool fan.
Jesus Christ :lol:

Billy Blaggs

I'm not a fighter never have never will be.
But don't push me because I'll light you up

That's what I mean. It might be an English thing but it the time when you say feck off you cnut. When he did it he wasn't thinking. It was feck you for subbing me. feck you got tackling me. It obviously was going to boil over.
But when the rage came out it was glorious.

Im from billinge and had to literally steal potatoes from the farmers field to eat.
Liverpool and Manchester were close to me. I picked a team and here I am.

When you see someone that's from close to you you can't help but love it.

And I'm no Rooney fan.

It's a tribal thing.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Since Xavi already retired, probably Iniesta, or Neymar.