Third Best Player this Generation

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Robben. Xavi and Iniesta could never carry a team the way he did, a team with robben and 10 scrubs is better than one with Iniesta/Xavi and 10 scrubs...

It's Robben-Zlatan-Suarez, Xavi/Iniesta come after those guys. Even all time great midfielders just can't compare with all time great forwards...
That's probably true, much easier to shut down a midfielder when there aren't other big threats. Prime Modric got absolutely shut down by Adrien Silva in the Euros for example.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
As much as I think Iniesta has immense talent, he was never a real game changer
Agree. I mean he only was man of the match in World Cup, European Championship and Champions League finals, a complete bottler I would say

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's probably true, much easier to shut down a midfielder when there aren't other big threats. Prime Modric got absolutely shut down by Adrien Silva in the Euros for example.
Iniesta only had one chance as the undisputed star of his team, at the 2016 Euros, and he didn't do all that well, but it's too small a sample to tell, and too unpredictable(being a NT tournament)

We'll never know how good he could have been in such a role...

Blind

Iniesta only had one chance as the undisputed star of his team, at the 2016 Euros, and he didn't do all that well, but it's too small a sample to tell, and too unpredictable(being a NT tournament)

We'll never know how good he could have been in such a role...
He was excellent until Spain got knocked out and was comfortably the best player at Euro 2012. I think Iniesta and Robben are the a class above the rest in this argument.

Luke1995

Ronaldinho. Although he had only three world class seasons (From 2003-04 to 05-06) he remained at a very good level until the end of the 2009-10 season and even before barcelona he was a big prospect just barely below world class. Many mention Xavi and Iniesta but were they that good in the early 2000's ? Seems like they only started becoming better from 2008 onwards, dinho upped the level of his game much earlier.

spiriticon

Ronaldinho. Although he had only three world class seasons (From 2003-04 to 05-06) he remained at a very good level until the end of the 2009-10 season and even before barcelona he was a big prospect just barely below world class. Many mention Xavi and Iniesta but were they that good in the early 2000's ? Seems like they only started becoming better from 2008 onwards, dinho upped the level of his game much earlier.
I'm not sure Ronaldinho belonged to the Messi/Ronaldo generation. He peaked way before Messi was a regular.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Good question. I guess when Ronaldo, Maldini and zidane stopped dominating because I think they were the best of their generation.
Ronaldinho

I'd say it begins with the decline of Ronaldinho and the rise of Ronaldo and Messi. About 2006 on.
Iniesta or Xavi probably - Id go with Xavi but honestly its so hard to separate the two... that said Kaka actually won it in 2007 the last player bar messi / ronaldo to do so so he probably deserves a shouut

1985 - year of Ronaldo's birth seems fine.
Neymar (as iniesta was born in 1984)

But how you define the question kinda dictates the answer

It is kinda amazing to think that since 2007 Messi finished 3rd and he has either won (5X) or finished 2nd (4X) since - and of course looks like he is probably going to finish 2nd this time - plus he will have what another 3 or 4 years at the top probably?

Could see him retiring with something like 7 ballon dors 7 runners up and a third...

its just crazy when you think Platini had 3X 1st and 3X 3rd... Cruyff 3X 1sy and 1X 3rd

perhaps its become a bit too based on overall reputation rather than the individual year? or perhaps there just hasnt been quite the quality just behind Messi and Ronaldo

Luke1995

I'm not sure Ronaldinho belonged to the Messi/Ronaldo generation. He peaked way before Messi was a regular.
It depends on which years are in the generation. Even though Messi was not a regular in Dinho's peak, he would be soon after and Dinho was still playing well at the start of Messi's peak, same with Ronaldo. Xavi is from 1980, so is Dinho...

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
It is kinda amazing to think that since 2007 Messi finished 3rd and he has either won (5X) or finished 2nd (4X) since - and of course looks like he is probably going to finish 2nd this time - plus he will have what another 3 or 4 years at the top probably?

Could see him retiring with something like 7 ballon dors 7 runners up and a third...

its just crazy when you think Platini had 3X 1st and 3X 3rd... Cruyff 3X 1sy and 1X 3rd

perhaps its become a bit too based on overall reputation rather than the individual year? or perhaps there just hasnt been quite the quality just behind Messi and Ronaldo
They've been so good for so long they nearly cut across two generations of players. Cristiano has been in the top 23 of the Ballon D'Or since freaking 2004. 14 straight years and if not for injuries that will become 17 or 18 in a few years too which is ridiculous.

I expect both of them to end their careers surpassing the number of appearances of guys like Giggs or Maldini.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Don't think there is a very clear number three. There's a reason why we talk about the top two, not a top three. Messi and Ronaldo have been in a league of their own. The quality drop-off down to a bunch of players in top 3-10 is quite big.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I choose Xavi,although he is older than Iniesta I consider them part of the same generation, they share prominence and glory during their best years.
Xavi started to be a global star quite late,with 28 years.
If we look for the most recent,in the last 3 or 4 years I'd say Modric

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I expect both of them to end their careers surpassing the number of appearances of guys like Giggs or Maldini.
injuries permitting possibly but my gut feel is no

I think giggs had around 1027 and maldini around the same

Messi / Ronaldo are currently averaging around 55 games a season with internationals

Ronaldo currently has (I think) 882 so another 3 seasons of playing most games should do it... but not sure if he will want to bow out at the top? plus he will be 33 by the end of the season

Messi has 727 so quote a way to go to be honest but he is only 30 and I could see him having a season or 2 in Argentina when he finishes with Barca?

Still amazing as forwards what they have done though... to put it in perspective zlatan is 36 and has played around 40 games less than ronaldo so far!

Revan

Assumptionman
Xavi is probably on the generation before them with Buffon, Pirlo, Scholes and Co.

Iniesta definitely for me. On top 10 to be Zlatan, Robben, Ribery, Neuer, Aguero, Ramon and Suarez. Neymar doesn't make my top 10 (or near it) considering that so far he has been just hype and goals in international friendly matches. Kaka had a very short peak to be on these lists IMO, while I considered Lampard and Gerrard in the generation before this.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Xavi is probably on the generation before them with Buffon, Pirlo, Scholes and Co.

Iniesta definitely for me. On top 10 to be Zlatan, Robben, Ribery, Neuer, Aguero, Ramon and Suarez. Neymar doesn't make my top 10 (or near it) considering that so far he has been just hype and goals in international friendly matches. Kaka had a very short peak to be on these lists IMO, while I considered Lampard and Gerrard in the generation before this.
Six years is not a short peak, and Xavi's prime coincided with Cristiano's

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Varies with how you interpret the term generation. Gen Y typically ranges from 1981 to 1996 or 1977 to 1994 for demographers. If we stick with the former, there's no room for Xavi, Ronaldinho, Henry and the likes. I'd probably rank the Top 10 as:

1. L Messi
2. C. Ronaldo
3. A. Iniesta
4. A. Robben
5. P. Lahm
6. L. Modrić
7. Neymar
8. Z. Ibrahimović
9. L. Suárez
10. D. Alves

Followed by the likes of Kaká, Ribéry, Neuer, Fußballgott. Neymar could very well end up as a Top 3/4 player for that generation over the coming years, especially considering his Brazil career in terms of being THE point of reference.
Always felt like demographers are a bit illogical with how long they define generations. It doesn't really make sense culturally to have someone born 1977 in the same generation as someone born in 1994. They will have completely different cultural reference points their entire lives.

In footballing terms I think you have use historical moments in hindsight to really define a generation rather than try to use some arbitrary birthday range. Like the Messi-Ronaldo generation really should begin with the decline of Kaka-Ronaldinho and it will end in the next year or two when someone new wins the Ballon. So I wouldn't consider Neymar part of the Messi-Ronaldo generation especially since he is looking most likely to be the one to break their Ballon dominance. I know this is tricky for some like Maldini that play forever but I would say someone like Maldini is more part of multiple generations rather than trying to define generations around those with the epic long careers. Maybe "era" is a better term than generation.

Charles Miller

Apart from Messi/Ronaldo the only player that probably would be in the all times team is Xavi.

Schneckerl

That was my first thought reading the post above.
Killed us in the 2009 final too after our early burst with that through ball to etoo. Arguably the best big match player of this generation
Iniesta played 13 CL semi finals and 3 CL finals. How often did he have a MotM like performance in those?

I think he has a high amount of good big game performances for Spain even if you look at the number of opportunities he had. Not so sure about Barca.

Last edited:

Jaybomb

Zlatan in my opinion. He is a superstar and will go down as one of the greats.