Third year meltdown bollocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonnas

Most of the facts above are jsut about rumours, players wanting to leave? its only Martial, the pobga stuff come from unreliable and bullshit sites trying to enhance teh serie A and juve image whilst Martial everyone knows his situation1 Lets and see, all doom and gloom for nothing

Beagle

Probably Mourinho's last chance with a top club. Football has gone past the days where a good defence and counter attacking football was enough to carry your team to championships as has been shown by Guardiola, Klopp and Zidane. If he doesn't deliver this year he'll most definitely will be sacked ( because let's face it, if we're not winning anything what's the point of watching his shit brand of football? ) and no other top club is going to touch him with a barge pole.
Counter attacking football with a solid defence can still be deadly. We don't have either which is the problem, but I think Jose is here to stay. He has improved us in terms of results and league standings and with a few more good players or couple of existing players stepping up, we can win the league. Biggest worry is the defence and I think that will hold us back unless we strengthen that area soon.

Okey

3rd season, 5th season, the number isn't terribly important to me. I live in the present and dream of the future. Any honest analysis would agree Jose is giving off a lot of bad vibes. Sullen, grumpy, blaming any and everyone for whatever is/goes wrong except himself. Never ever the one at fault for whatever. A man scared shitless at the possibilty he may just be a spent force. Ultimately he'll be judged by results. United have to improve on last season. If we do, and a clear upward trajectory is visible, we'll take that I guess. But you can't feeling when you observe the man that it all may just blow up any minute now...

EireRed_GS

3rd season, 5th season, the number isn't terribly important to me. I live in the present and dream of the future. Any honest analysis would agree Jose is giving off a lot of bad vibes. Sullen, grumpy, blaming any and everyone for whatever is/goes wrong except himself. Never ever the one at fault for whatever. A man scared shitless at the possibilty he may just be a spent force. Ultimately he'll be judged by results. United have to improve on last season. If we do, and a clear upward trajectory is visible, we'll take that I guess. But you can't feeling when you observe the man that it all may just blow up any minute now...

This..

i really hope he can get a good start to the season and get his best players performing.. but everything coming from him is just negative and looks like it just creates more problems that solves them.. and regarding our best players, DeGea/Lukaku are the only ones puts out outstanding displays for us recently under jose.. im trying hard to be optimistic, but between Jose comments and the clubs apparent lack of movement in the transfer market, im not so sure. With Jose's attitude and always having this 'chip on his shoulder' with everyone, the so called meltdown is always gonna be lingering above him, about to drop at some point, when he does or says something mad.

I just dont get his 'talk negative about everything' approach.. Why not create a good uplifting encouraging atmosphere!? get the lads wanting to get out there and have a go? encourage rather than slating the lads every chance? Because at the end of the day its his job to motivate the lads, and a lot of them look far from motivated.. it just baffles me to approach it this way. even if this is about sending messages to the board etc.. theres better ways to do it, other than affecting the whole club vibe and atmosphere to prove a point.

i think im just having a stressed morning and thinking about united potentially doing all the same shit again this season is sending me mad :rolleyes::lol:

RedPamie

I actually watched his new press conferences and he's not that negative. He delivered some candid answers. His usual self from Chelsea days. Although a bit, I don't know, mellow.

His weaknesses are well documented. He's stubborn sometimes, prefers battle hardened players, bad players management at times, he doesn't help with his comments too. But to blame him for everything happening at the club is unfair. Even some fans can't wait for his failure. I don't get it. They wish our club fails?? And search another manager, who exactly?

The goalposts changing too, "we are in bad places" ... Some will point out "last season was actually improvements from previous two managers."
"But what about his third season meltdown?!"

Reactions: jojojo

The_Order

Get rid of him now while we can still retain some talent.

Put Carrick in charge.

I am dead serious.

FrantikChicken

Good to see a different perspective, but its a bit like stats, you cna always bring out once to paint a favourable view. Dont get your first paragraph at all, he may be behaving on the touchline, but he is publicly slating players in interviews, he is sniping about ,amy other things within the club too....thing he isnt and wont learn at all, which shows he is actually more stubborn than intelligent...and he is very intelligent, so its sad.

As for signing and developing youth Ibrahimovic. Matic, Miki, Sanchez....that is half of his signings before this window being nearer 30 and two of them have already left the club. Lindelof may be young, but was a bang average signing when we needed a really good one so we still have the same problem this summer. I dont think he will ever be a top defender and personal opinion, I dont rate Lukaku as a title winning striker at all eiterh that is just personal opinion. Lingard also is in his mid twenties, he is hardly young, though I so think Mourinho has done very well with him. McTominay I can agree with, though again just personal opinion, think he has done well but I dont rate him. Pogba may have been young when we signed him but lets not forget this is a player that had one Serie A on a few occasions and also played in the latter stages of the champions league a couple of times, didnt he play in a final? All before we signed him, so hardly an inexperienced player.

I also really dont get the slating of the Glazers backing wise. We have in the last few years made Galatio signings several times fee wise with Lukaku, Pogba and DiMaria even all the way back to Mata. We have paid out crazy fees to agents and also far more on wages for certain players than other premiership clubs. I am sure out net spend must be right up there with the biggest clubs around the globe the last few years.

This is Mourinhos thirds season lets not forget, so fully correct to judge him by the end of it. I know we were second last year but do we look anywhere near an actual team as Klopp last year after his January signings had a very competitive side the second half of the season, reached the cl final and played entertaining football. Pocchetino after three years, spending nothing like we have has a proper team, playing entertaining football who were very competitive in the cl. Both did this in a three year period taking over pretty average squads and both have promoted youth within those sides.

It could be forgiven towards longer term like you say IF we were showing signs of becoming a proper team and we were playing entertaining football that pleases the fans....neither look close currently.
Yes of course you can always paint a favourable view, but the way I see it, the negative views aren't really based on any more facts either. A lot of the doom and gloom is coming from pure speculation and rumours.

The publicly slating players bit I'll never understand. This isn't FM where you don't talk to your player and then they come complaining after you say something to the media. I'm 100% sure Mourinho has had these discussions with his players privately and the fact that he decides to share some honesty with the media shouldn't be making anyone in the squad angry. They already know these things.

Not rating our academy players is fine, but surely you can concede that IF Mourinho refused to play them and instead replaced them with foreign signings, people on here would be out with their pitchforks claiming he doesn't promote from within. It's a lose-lose for him. Lukaku I completely disagree with, I think he's a top talent. Lindeloff we don't know just yet and can't hold you against that view on his potential talent.

For Pogba, yes that's what I mean. He's experienced and he's already an amazing player, but even at Juve he had players like Pirlo and Buffon around him. Experienced leaders who had won everything. It wasn't all hanging on Paul's shoulders the way it is at Man Utd. We all know what happens when he's not in our squad, we become useless. Pogba's responsibility and need is like tenfold here than it is at Juventus and France. That's not his fault, it's also a problem with the squad, and my hope is that with him winning a World Cup and hopefully Sanchez stepping up, we will see improvement in the team as far as consistency goes this season.

As far as the Glazers, I'm personally not slating them at all, maybe my words came across wrongly. What I mean is that I think them and Jose are working together well, but we don't know what their actual plans are. Again, if they (Glazers + Jose) have decided they don't want to fix the problems with a bunch of galacticos signings but rather with waiting for the young players to mature, then a lot of us here are panicking thinking we're not on track even though we may very well be right on track with the club's actual plans.

Lastly, Mourinho's negativity in this pre-season is completely understandable. He's missing a huge part of his starting squad and I can only imagine how frustrating that is for him. It doesn't mean he's blaming anyone or that he's trying to make excuses, it means he's frustrated. I think we all would be if we were in his position.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Mourinho's third year doesn't make a meltdown inevitable and there are obviously a number of things that can make this coming season better than last season. New signings, Pogba's World Cup renaissance and the fact that City will find it very difficult to do the same as or improve upon last season. Lukaku will also be feeding off his good form at the world cup. Dare I say that Lingard could also surprise a few defenses?

You can try to put a positive spin on this season but the fact remains that Jose has been at Utd for two years now and he still hasn't got the team playing to a recognisable pattern. The tactics seem to change on a regular basis. The team got off to a spectacular start last season with Lukaku banging them in for fun but it didn't last. This may have been because the squad was light but it could also have been because Jose didn't get the best out of his players. How can Pogba be so inconsistent for his club and look a completely different player at the world cup. There are reports he may be going back to Italy but I suspect these should be taken with a pinch of salt. Pogba will probably stay and try to improve his consistency. Jose needs to see how Pogba best performs for his country and bring that to the team. I think Pogba, along with a few good signings, will be key to Utd's season.

The thing I really don't understand about Pogba at the moment is that France basically played a counter attacking game at the world cup and he played very well within that framework. Why can't he do that with Jose's default counter attacking style. Matic can tidy up and/or hold. For me Pogba is at his best when making dynamic interceptions, passes and runs in the midfield. Is it me or is he not so motivated at Utd? Didier Deschamps got the best out of him with very little lead in.

For me this points to Jose not being the tactician some people imagine him to be. At Chelsea I saw his good teams run their hearts out and his bad teams give up the ghost. I think his strength is in his motivational capabilities and he overcomes problems by getting a higher work rate out of his players. The problem is the players get tired and start to lose patience with his eccentric rantings. He became a figure of fun at Chelsea. The two departures from Chelsea were different but it all boils down to people getting fed up with him. He is so definitive in his opinions that there are no discussions about how to integrate different ideas. He rules with a rod of iron and it's his way or the highway. Certain players won't take this for long. Yes they start off with this honeymoon period but after awhile they appear to be just going through the motions. Apparently the 6 months before he left the first time he refused to speak to the board on a regular basis. The second time the players were laughing at him. Costa was even throwing his hi-vis jacket at him behind his back during a televised game. The discrimination claim with Eva Carneiro was hushed up in the end but there's no smoke without fire. The club had to part with £5m to pay her off. He upsets people.

There used to be something charming about Jose. He could make outrageous claims and get away with it by laughing and smiling and referring people to his record. He doesn't laugh so much now and quite frankly looks a bit grumpy, his record also looks a bit more tainted than it used to.

I'm going to get caned for this post I know but when Jose took the Utd job he had to change his ways. He had to adapt. He had to apply his skills and learn a new way. He had to learn how to get on with the board and the players. I don't see many, if any, signs of this happening. Is he still living in that hotel/apartment block? Has his family committed to Manchester? If they did he might be a little happier but where is the new way? Where are the foundations of the new Man Utd team?

Jose needs to win big this year. He may even do it. The strange thing is that even if he does, it would be no guarantee of him staying for another season.

Mrob777

Supports
Liverpool
After reading some posts on here, why are posters so negative?? Jose is the manager, so I believe he should be backed 100%. His past tenure at other clubs are just that, the past. Every time I see a new thread posted about Jose it’s always doom and gloom. United just finished the season in second place last season under the “boring” play style of Mourinho. If anything he has progressed United’s league position every year, so I’m actually interested to see how he can get this team to perform next season. Then again I like when people go against the grain and prove the doubters wrong, and I believe Jose could do just that.

Rajma

After reading some posts on here, why are posters so negative?? Jose is the manager, so I believe he should be backed 100%. His past tenure at other clubs are just that, the past. Every time I see a new thread posted about Jose it’s always doom and gloom. United just finished the season in second place last season under the “boring” play style of Mourinho. If anything he has progressed United’s league position every year, so I’m actually interested to see how he can get this team to perform next season. Then again I like when people go against the grain and prove the doubters wrong, and I believe Jose could do just that.
Don't you support Liverpool? What the heck.

Mrob777

Supports
Liverpool
Don't you support Liverpool? What the heck.
I do support Liverpool but I’m not blind to other things, such as good managers for other teams. I have respect for other teams and I believe Jose is a good manager, hence why I don’t get why fans on the club he manages are always negative when discussing him. Shouldn’t United fans want him to be successful?? The amount of negativity about Jose on this forum baffles me is all.

jesperjaap

Yes of course you can always paint a favourable view, but the way I see it, the negative views aren't really based on any more facts either. A lot of the doom and gloom is coming from pure speculation and rumours.

The publicly slating players bit I'll never understand. This isn't FM where you don't talk to your player and then they come complaining after you say something to the media. I'm 100% sure Mourinho has had these discussions with his players privately and the fact that he decides to share some honesty with the media shouldn't be making anyone in the squad angry. They already know these things.

Not rating our academy players is fine, but surely you can concede that IF Mourinho refused to play them and instead replaced them with foreign signings, people on here would be out with their pitchforks claiming he doesn't promote from within. It's a lose-lose for him. Lukaku I completely disagree with, I think he's a top talent. Lindeloff we don't know just yet and can't hold you against that view on his potential talent.

For Pogba, yes that's what I mean. He's experienced and he's already an amazing player, but even at Juve he had players like Pirlo and Buffon around him. Experienced leaders who had won everything. It wasn't all hanging on Paul's shoulders the way it is at Man Utd. We all know what happens when he's not in our squad, we become useless. Pogba's responsibility and need is like tenfold here than it is at Juventus and France. That's not his fault, it's also a problem with the squad, and my hope is that with him winning a World Cup and hopefully Sanchez stepping up, we will see improvement in the team as far as consistency goes this season.

As far as the Glazers, I'm personally not slating them at all, maybe my words came across wrongly. What I mean is that I think them and Jose are working together well, but we don't know what their actual plans are. Again, if they (Glazers + Jose) have decided they don't want to fix the problems with a bunch of galacticos signings but rather with waiting for the young players to mature, then a lot of us here are panicking thinking we're not on track even though we may very well be right on track with the club's actual plans.

Lastly, Mourinho's negativity in this pre-season is completely understandable. He's missing a huge part of his starting squad and I can only imagine how frustrating that is for him. It doesn't mean he's blaming anyone or that he's trying to make excuses, it means he's frustrated. I think we all would be if we were in his position.
Totally disagree with the public slating of players. Behind closed doors is one thing but I personally think it is belittling and a tad embarassing some of the things he has said, even the last couple of days. Honesty is one thing, but half the things he is saying I dont see how it is motivating his players and isnt surprising he has fell out with so many. Look at Luke Shaw under his management for example. Yes he hasnt set the world alight and hasnt looked fit half the time, there may be attitude problems. But he was starting to look like the player we thought before the injury, he was probably our best player running up to it. Mourinho rightly or wrongly has barely given him a chance and absolutely slated him when he has done, when he has hardly been awful, it is almost like bullying, bang out of order.

The rest of your argument I can agree with to a degree, make some good points but definately not the first part. Ferguson showed fierce loyalty to most of his players in public as long as the same was given in return, it is basic respect and trust.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Mourinho's third year doesn't make a meltdown inevitable and there are obviously a number of things that can make this coming season better than last season. New signings, Pogba's World Cup renaissance and the fact that City will find it very difficult to do the same as or improve upon last season. Lukaku will also be feeding off his good form at the world cup. Dare I say that Lingard could also surprise a few defenses?

You can try to put a positive spin on this season but the fact remains that Jose has been at Utd for two years now and he still hasn't got the team playing to a recognisable pattern. The tactics seem to change on a regular basis. The team got off to a spectacular start last season with Lukaku banging them in for fun but it didn't last. This may have been because the squad was light but it could also have been because Jose didn't get the best out of his players. How can Pogba be so inconsistent for his club and look a completely different player at the world cup. There are reports he may be going back to Italy but I suspect these should be taken with a pinch of salt. Pogba will probably stay and try to improve his consistency. Jose needs to see how Pogba best performs for his country and bring that to the team. I think Pogba, along with a few good signings, will be key to Utd's season.

The thing I really don't understand about Pogba at the moment is that France basically played a counter attacking game at the world cup and he played very well within that framework. Why can't he do that with Jose's default counter attacking style. Matic can tidy up and/or hold. For me Pogba is at his best when making dynamic interceptions, passes and runs in the midfield. Is it me or is he not so motivated at Utd? Didier Deschamps got the best out of him with very little lead in.

For me this points to Jose not being the tactician some people imagine him to be. At Chelsea I saw his good teams run their hearts out and his bad teams give up the ghost. I think his strength is in his motivational capabilities and he overcomes problems by getting a higher work rate out of his players. The problem is the players get tired and start to lose patience with his eccentric rantings. He became a figure of fun at Chelsea. The two departures from Chelsea were different but it all boils down to people getting fed up with him. He is so definitive in his opinions that there are no discussions about how to integrate different ideas. He rules with a rod of iron and it's his way or the highway. Certain players won't take this for long. Yes they start off with this honeymoon period but after awhile they appear to be just going through the motions. Apparently the 6 months before he left the first time he refused to speak to the board on a regular basis. The second time the players were laughing at him. Costa was even throwing his hi-vis jacket at him behind his back during a televised game. The discrimination claim with Eva Carneiro was hushed up in the end but there's no smoke without fire. The club had to part with £5m to pay her off. He upsets people.

There used to be something charming about Jose. He could make outrageous claims and get away with it by laughing and smiling and referring people to his record. He doesn't laugh so much now and quite frankly looks a bit grumpy, his record also looks a bit more tainted than it used to.

I'm going to get caned for this post I know but when Jose took the Utd job he had to change his ways. He had to adapt. He had to apply his skills and learn a new way. He had to learn how to get on with the board and the players. I don't see many, if any, signs of this happening. Is he still living in that hotel/apartment block? Has his family committed to Manchester? If they did he might be a little happier but where is the new way? Where are the foundations of the new Man Utd team?

Jose needs to win big this year. He may even do it. The strange thing is that even if he does, it would be no guarantee of him staying for another season.
This is a very good post. Agree a lot with the statement I highlighted. I really thought his survival instincts would kick in, and he would know after his last Chelsea spell that he had no choice but to change. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to get it. This is like literally the last chance at big club. Certainly it will be his last job in the PL, unless he wants to coach Everton, West Ham etc.

arthurka

Now they have started to boo Utd in pre season. Thats a first.

He cant praise players, looks grumpy and takes zero chances.

I can safely say I am not optimistic for this season at all .

wolvored

When you look at the numbers we should be optimistic. We have a good chance to finish top 4 again as a minimum, but wont do better than 2nd as I can see City winning it again as they have the best squad of players.
Pessimism for me its the style of play and I use style of play loosely as there is nothing there to suggest any style. We just sit deep and either play hoofball or pass it around needlessly in our own half. This is sprinkled with the occasional good play. These tactics are so dour for one of the biggest clubs in the world and shouldnt be acceptable.
We havent strengthened anywhere near enough (so far). Fred is an unknown quantity at Premier level and the kid Dalot probably wont play a lot. With the likes of Jones Darmian Rojo etc stinking the place up and not been moved on (so far) as well there is not much to get excited about. This is on Mourinhos shoulders as he is the manager and has the power to change this. I dont know about a 3rd year meltdown, but can see 'by mutual consent' at the end of the seson.

EireRed_GS

His comments today poking fun at Klopp for spending big suggest we most certainly will not be spending big. So im not expecting much before the end of the transfer window. Maybe the Maguire deal might go through, but 65m is extortionate for him. An upgrade on jones/smalling but not massively, we would be mugs to pay that.

But if we don't improve in the areas we need before the window, and thats been his major gripe (not having the right players), then surely jose has no more excuses? he's had plenty of time and money. Its down to his management skills etc then to make the best of whats there & all that.... But that seems to have mattered for nothing in the past. I hope im wrong, but theres alot of early signs pointing towards this season not going too well at all. And Jose may not last the season

Status
Not open for further replies.