This Brexit FC transfer approach

cyril C

The young ones get a "special talent" classification. Easier with some players/nationalities than others of course, but the top clubs seldom had trouble getting the exemption, even if they had to appeal for it (appeal = lots of letters from scouts/coaches saying how great they are + any caps/awards from U18 Tournaments etc).
Yes and No. I recall Fergi having to appeared in person to push for a work permit (forgotten who), which of course was formality. But Ole? in person? Who is Ole? Sorry busy these few days, talk to my assistant....

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
The young ones get a "special talent" classification. Easier with some players/nationalities than others of course, but the top clubs seldom had trouble getting the exemption, even if they had to appeal for it (appeal = lots of letters from scouts/coaches saying how great they are + any caps/awards from U18 Tournaments etc).
Don't think the exceptional talent route is needed for South Americans now if they're are 18+ as long as you pay over a certain amount for them(circa £10m), and you can prove they will be one of if not the top wage earners in their age-group at the club and earn wages comparably with the lowest earners in the first-team squad, if they are 18+ and out of contract so no fee involved bar minimal training fees that's when the grovelling really starts.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Don't think the exceptional talent route is needed for South Americans now if they're are 18+ as long as you pay over a certain amount for them(circa £10m), and you can prove they will be one of if not the top wage earners in their age-group at the club and earn wages comparably with the lowest earners in the first-team squad, if they are 18+ and out of contract so no fee involved bar minimal training fees that's when the grovelling really starts.
It was the reference to the da Silva's really.

The whole system has been restructured since, with a kind of points based system used. There are points for wages, transfer fees, the club you played for etc.
There's a version of the (current non-EU) points chart at:
https://latitudelaw.com/news/the-fa...s-and-possible-implications-following-brexit/

The PL have asked for the rules to be rewritten to say that if you've been given a PL contract, you can have a work permit. The FA will probably confirm that with a proviso that no club can have more than thirteen foreign players.

Incidentally it's the FA/PL who are essentially the authority on this. The convention had been for the government of the day to accept them as the professional qualifying authority. Which leaves the immigration service role as being one of checking the other criteria - like criminal convictions etc.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

The whole system has been restructured since, with a kind of points based system used. There are points for wages, transfer fees, the club you played for etc.
https://latitudelaw.com/news/the-fa...s-and-possible-implications-following-brexit/

The PL have asked for the rules to be rewritten to say that if you've been given a PL contract, you can have a work permit. The FA will probably confirm that with a proviso that no club can have more than thirteen foreign players.

Incidentally it's the FA/PL who are essentially the authority on this. The convention had been for the government of the day to accept them as the professional qualifying authority. Which leaves the immigration service role as being one of checking the other criteria - like criminal convictions etc.
I'd read that Latitude Law article earlier when I stumbled across it whilst looking for confirmation of the info I posted #122 so even though I knew it was outdated I thought i'd post it anyway, do a bit more digging when I had more time, and edit accordingly, or delete it, hope nobody had seen it if I was totally wrong ;)

cyril C

Good, clearer. So the Da Silva scenario is in fact still applicable although more systematic in future. Just pay the players enough (hopefully not the foreign club) to get 5 points, because international appearance would be difficult for top countries like Brazil or France or Germany for any U19.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Good, clearer. So the Da Silva scenario is in fact still applicable although more systematic in future. Just pay the players enough (hopefully not the foreign club) to get 5 points, because international appearance would be difficult for top countries like Brazil or France or Germany for any U19.
In the future, it'll almost certainly just be, "because we say we want them." The PL teams are arguing in favour of themselves being the quality authorities - "if we give them a contract, they're good enough". It looks like the FA will agree provided the PL accepts a limit (13 players probably) of foreign players.

Of course, that's just a headline. The details like how Scotland, Wales, Ireland players will be treated aren't there. Same with players who've already played in England.

Young players (over the age of 18) are probably going to be in that blanket 13 player limit. However signing a player and loaning them out is probably ok.

Outside the PL something like a new points system will probably continue, though the Championship may be able to opt for self-qualification (and squad number limits) as well.