This Brexit FC transfer approach

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is not going to take us back to the top. How can our management/board not see this? Look at our rivals, the majority of their best players are not British. We are just going to get left even further behind. I swear we are becoming a meme.

Irrational.

Is not going to take us back to the top. How can our management/board not see this? Look at our rivals, the majority of their best players are not British. We are just going to get left even further behind. I swear we are becoming a meme.
Yep. We are being taken to the cleaners for overrated British 'talent'. Ole's obsession with them is annoying - just look at the players we've been linked with.

There are some bargains out there being completely ignored by Ole and his band of young Brit loving scouts. Something something United way.

dev1l

Yet another useless /baseless thread....

Anyway,we can't expect any better from the usual suspects

::sonny::

The board only interested in to making it spending the less possible

It’s a club without a sporting project, and I feel for who spend money as a fan to follow the team

sunama

Baghdad Bob

Aaaaah.
So what should we do?

I am going to guess that you will say, "trust the process, let's keep buying expensive British players, while ignoring foreign players who are cheaper and technically better. This is a long term plan."
Have I got this right?

Right now, we are going backwards. We are the worst we have been since SAF retired - worse than Moyes. At what point will be people wake up?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Haaland is also from Yorkshire then?
We never got him though, did we?
I'm sure we'd be interested in Messi or Varane (Woodward name-dropped him), but we haven't bought the foreigners.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

He should have had his thread making rights revoked months ago

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I think anyone who calls it Brexit FC should be dangled from the White Cliffs of Dover by their pubic hairs.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Aaaaah.
So what should we do?

I am going to guess that you will say, "trust the process, let's keep buying expensive British players, while ignoring foreign players who are cheaper and technically better. This is a long term plan."
Have I got this right?

Right now, we are going backwards. We are the worst we have been since SAF retired - worse than Moyes. At what point will be people wake up?
It's too late for some, they have accepted mediocrity, if you show any sign on dissatisfaction you are not a true fan. Ole has a 27% win record as perm manager and people are still making excuses for him.

We'll go for Longstaff and Rice while our rivals go for Fabian and Saul. Wonder who'll get the better deal :rolleyes:

He should have had his thread making rights revoked months ago
Yeah let's censor someone because we don't agree with them...

passing-wind

We have a manager in charge who relegated Cardiff and stunk the place out in the championship. Who's highest managerial achievement comes from winning a domestic title in a league which matches it's nation's national team ranking.

The entire aim from Solskjaer to target young English players is because no established / bright European prospect wants to play under him. Haaland is the perfect example. I still don't understand how fans think we have a chance of signing decent players while we have such a shambolic manager at our disposal. Every week I'm seeing posts about Sancho, it will be Sanchnooo when he joins one of our rivals.

InfiniteBoredom

The board only interested in to making it spending the less possible

It’s a club without a sporting project, and I feel for who spend money as a fan to follow the team
It’s not true though, if they were truly penny pinching then they wouldn’t pay £85m for Maguire.

The problem, it seems, is that after years of mismanagement and underperformance we’ve found ourselves in the position ‘pool were in 6 or 7 years ago when they couldn’t attract top tier players/foreign prospects and ended up signing loads of British players at inflated prices.

Given Woodward’s past comment about turning us into the Disneyland of football, you really think he’d be excited with names like Rice, Longstaff, James, AWB, Maguire?

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
I agree. Absolute shit transfer policy. 90% of the squad will be British before you know it. The kind of squad suited to dominate League One.

The club needs a revamp. All this ‘follow tradition’ bollox is only leaving us further behind.

RORY65

We have a manager in charge who relegated Cardiff and stunk the place out in the championship. Who's highest managerial achievement comes from winning a domestic title in a league which matches it's nation's national team ranking.

The entire aim from Solskjaer to target young English players is because no established / bright European prospect wants to play under him. Haaland is the perfect example. I still don't understand how fans think we have a chance of signing decent players while we have such a shambolic manager at our disposal. Every week I'm seeing posts about Sancho, it will be Sanchnooo when he joins one of our rivals.
This is right, we clearly tried to get Eriksen and Dybala as well as Haaland but they didn't want to come to us because they can see how poor the team is and the staff are massively underwhelming compared to those at other clubs. We can get players from Palace and Swansea and we can throw enough money at an OKish defender like Maguire that he will join us from Leicester, plus we're a much bigger club if not a better side, but we're not attractive to the top talent across Europe (including seemingly to the best British prospect in Sancho). There is also clearly an element of nostalgia, like everything under Ole, and this idea that having a British core will create a culture but I would imagine the club got on board with that idea when it became clear where we currently stand in the world.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Hard work, passion and desire to really really be here is the new primary stat for Man Utd player.
Passion beats quality. Running beats technique. Desire beats talent. That is why those players cost double.

This is the way.
I love that quote

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Liverpool of the 2000s. Buying overrated English players for more money and say, it's our DNA to have more domestic players while in reality its the inability to attract good players outside of epl. Our scouts are also pretty crap looking at our unknown gem signings.

Hawks2008

Yeah it's shit. The whole 'right players' thing also irks me because the criteria just seems to be players who jump at the chance to sign for us rather than players who have the ability to take us back to being a strong team. Unfortunately 99% of players who fit that are not even the best homegrown players but the average ones. Targeting dross like Rice and Longstaff won't get us anywhere but as long as they come running it's enough for Ole.

Rather than convincing players of the right quality to join and sell the rebuild to them they expect these to drop everthing to join United and if they don't then they aren't 'right'. If we had ambition we would make things happen in regards to signing good players but instead we target players at lesser PL clubs because it's the jackpot for them but ultimately won't make us better.

Tarrou

We did actually agree a deal to sign Dybala though? You need to conveniently forget that for this Brexit thing to work though.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This isn't a dig at the maker of this thread, but does anyone else really cringe when they see a club with British players called 'Brexit FC' or British players called 'Brexit players' Maybe its just me but I find it really stupid.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We did actually agree a deal to sign Dybala though? You need to conveniently forget that for this Brexit thing to work though.
We were also strongly in for the best young Dutch CB and the best young Norwegian forward . It’s another internet myth that people are perpetuating here

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Tbf we would be better off if certain Americans and a Norwegian are shown the door. I would also sack the guy who was born in Essex as well just to balance things out.

Judas

Open to offers
It's a media created idea, bought into by angry fans. Ole said a few things, journos have run with it, and now you've got mugs going around saying Brexit FC because they're angry (rightfully) with the mess the club is in.

red_de_pologne

Uhh.. We are looking for players who are the least likely to leave when they fully develop (with us). It just happens that best chance for that will be players rooted in UK.
We should be looking for players from lesser teams who want to develop, nothing wrong with that.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I don't think we have a Brexit FC policy so much as a "let's not sign anyone because our board are deluded dickheads who should buy Arsenal FC" policy. In saying that though, this is potentially the last window before Brexit actually does feck our transfer options. We're also desperately in need of a CM and a CAM and could use reinforcements in other positions too. Plus we could really do with fecking off the likes of Bailly and other assorted crocks who have no place in our squad whilst Everton can still buy them.

This is a key window and it would appear Woodward is sitting with both thumbs up his jaxie as per usual.

Classical Mechanic

It's a media created idea, bought into by angry fans. Ole said a few things, journos have run with it, and now you've got mugs going around saying Brexit FC because they're angry (rightfully) with the mess the club is in.
Missing the fact that at academy level we've been bringing in as much foreign talent as ever.

Danish Wizard

Not about nationality, look at quality instead.
For example I would be happy if we sign Jack Grealish, Jadon Sancho and Kalvin Phillips this January. Of course I don't think we will however. But IF we do, they would improve us massively, and I would be happy about these signings, even though they are English. So look at quality not passport.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Not about nationality, look at quality instead.
For example I would be happy if we sign Jack Grealish, Jadon Sancho and Kalvin Phillips this January. Of course I don't think we will however. But IF we do, they would improve us massively, and I would be happy about these signings, even though they are English. So look at quality not passport.
You know its fecking bad when a Championship player would improve Manchester United massively. Absolute state of us.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Is this still our policy or Bruno is getting British passport?

Tarrou

where did this actually come from?

did someone say something or purely because we signed 3 British players in the summer?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Maybe he went to a British school like Bernardo Silva. I doubt Ole would’ve let a true foreigner in.
Yeah, there should be something that links him to British thing. We were interested in Haaland for the same reason, he was born in UK.