" This is chess it ain't checkers"

• Thread starter Deleted member 101472
  • Start date

Deleted member 101472

6 words that sum up perfectly how I feel as a United fan at the moment.

After years of being spoiled with success, it's inevitable that we are in disarray with the teams performance over the last few years.

But coming from the standpoint that nothing lasts forever, I've actually enjoyed our demise in a weird way, because the bigger picture is that when the success comes (and it will come) it's going to feel better than Barcelona 1999, which I imagine for most people on this forum is the most elated they've ever felt watching United.

But that champions league win came during a period where we were expected to do well, so going through this somewhat wilderness period, all the jumping between hope and despair on such a regular basis will eventually culminate in something a bit hard to put into words... That feeling of knowing that you suffered through the difficult times, only to be rewarded with a league title/ champions league win that feels so much better because it wasn't expected, the way it was for us at the peak of our late 90s power.

So as Denzel says, this shit is chess. It's a long game and proper analysis suggests that we are on track. The squad is coming together nicely and off the field we are one of the most commercially viable clubs in the world. It's so important that we plan each and every move carefully because when it all comes together (if we allow it to that is, by putting faith in the people at the club) it's going to be incredible.

This demand for instant success just opens yourself up for disappointment. Take a step back, believe in the process and support the people in charge. We might not get there this year, we might not make it next year, but we WILL get there and be lessons we all learn through the hardships will only help us grow.

Deleted member 101472

I hope you do better speeches at work.
I find it easier to convey how I feel about people's real horror and anguish than j do my feelings about us at the moment haha.

rpg

Would like to see those 'proper analysis' per mentioned that suggested we were on right track.

Varun

Staff
If it's chess, we're fecked. Doubt half our lot can even name the pieces on the board.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
If it's chess, we're fecked. Doubt half our lot can even name the pieces on the board.
Mkhitaryan could, but I don´t know whether Jose fancies his Sicilian defense.

Love Training Day.