This is why it's called GREAT Britain

Zlatattack

There's a difference between the british people and Britain. If you can figure out what that is then you'll understand why people think your choice of wording was odd.
I guess this is where I have a different view. In my mind the people define the nation. I know geography defines the boundaries of nations and government is its representatives, but for me people are the nation.

I feel the same way about Pakistan. Its a corrupt country run by an elite for the elite and the people only serve the purpose of being Units of work. However that's not what a country is in my opinion. In my opinion its the people who are the most significant factor in a nation.

If Rashford as an individual did something great, to encourage others as individuals and corporate entities to do something great, then I don't see anything wrong with attributing the positive elements of that to our nation, because the acts of that minority are thier own, but they're also in our nation. There are plenty of us who support thier ideas and maybe where possible, thier actions. Why should all the bad things define us only?

This country is facing a clash of cultures that might redefine the country for decades. We need to rally behind the good, we can't sit there in self pity letting Tory scum and Brexiteers define us simply because they have the majority in a flawed and corrupt system.

To all those people who feel Britian is bad, yeah you're right, but each of you is also a part of Britain and if you do and support good, and speak out for good, we can redefine what Britain stands for.

Yes you are all right that these wonderful acts are not to be attributed to the British state and its political representatives. That was never my intention.

My title was a play on words, but at the same time it also was intended to say look at what a paotitve thing these British people and companies did.

Rashford in his tweet is identifying as British and taking pride in British people. He's not wrong to do so. He's not misplacing credit when he does. So how is my title any different?

Zlatattack

Then they shouldn't be in government then should they? Yet here we are.

Great Britain.
No they shouldn't. But you reap what you sow. This country didn't turn into the shit tip it is overnight. Decades of mid-Governance took us here. Most recently the Labour Party actively worked to undermine its own leader in two election campaigns. The media is now all owned by billionaires. Britain's political parties are bankrolled by the wealthy elite. Privitisation of the state was happening by stealth under new Labour. Nobody thought to replace first past the post. Failures of government have been blamed on immigrants and the EU for decades.

This mess could take a lifetime to fix.

Smores

I guess this is where I have a different view. In my mind the people define the nation. I know geography defines the boundaries of nations and government is its representatives, but for me people are the nation.

I feel the same way about Pakistan. Its a corrupt country run by an elite for the elite and the people only serve the purpose of being Units of work. However that's not what a country is in my opinion. In my opinion its the people who are the most significant factor in a nation.

If Rashford as an individual did something great, to encourage others as individuals and corporate entities to do something great, then I don't see anything wrong with attributing the positive elements of that to our nation, because the acts of that minority are thier own, but they're also in our nation. There are plenty of us who support thier ideas and maybe where possible, thier actions. Why should all the bad things define us only?

This country is facing a clash of cultures that might redefine the country for decades. We need to rally behind the good, we can't sit there in self pity letting Tory scum and Brexiteers define us simply because they have the majority in a flawed and corrupt system.

To all those people who feel Britian is bad, yeah you're right, but each of you is also a part of Britain and if you do and support good, and speak out for good, we can redefine what Britain stands for.

Yes you are all right that these wonderful acts are not to be attributed to the British state and its political representatives. That was never my intention.

My title was a play on words, but at the same time it also was intended to say look at what a paotitve thing these British people and companies did.

Rashford in his tweet is identifying as British and taking pride in British people. He's not wrong to do so. He's not misplacing credit when he does. So how is my title any different?
What i will say is Britain has a long standing tradition of taking pride in others or worse institutions and using that to feel positive whilst voting or acting immorally. It's baked into our history traditions and culture. 'Great Britain' has particular usage.

We should champion these people but not in an attempt to co-opt their victories as a source of national pride, why would you even do that? I'm proud we've got so many virtuous british people but we don't demonstrate that as a nation and it's not right to use their actions to pretend the nation is great because of it.

Their example should be used to question ourselves so hopefully next time people don't vote in those who made those efforts necessary in the first place.

Zlatattack

What i will say is Britain has a long standing tradition of taking pride in others or worse institutions and using that to feel positive whilst voting or acting immorally. It's baked into our history traditions and culture. 'Great Britain' has particular usage.

We should champion these people but not in an attempt to co-opt their victories as a source of national pride, why would you even do that? I'm proud we've got so many virtuous british people but we don't demonstrate that as a nation and it's not right to use their actions to pretend the nation is great because of it.

Their example should be used to question ourselves so hopefully next time people don't vote in those who made those efforts necessary in the first place.
Finally a response explaining the other point of view. Thanks.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The club could be a bigger part of the Manchester community...
Ah OK, I get you now.

yeah, I agree to a point, but the club does get incvolved quote a bit with the community, and were one of the few clubs to assist their relevant communities during the height of the pandemic.

Denis' cuff

Britain is the worst.
what happened to the “Emerald EU sponsored tiger” ffs :)

another Padraig having a dig

go and support a obj Ramblers

state of you lot north and south

several hundred years of conflict before blaming it on Britain/England. Go and support the Nazis again

Last edited: