This needs more attention

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

What the absolute feck was going on there? Not one of the players clocked on and thought that can't be right? *Henderson didn't? The management team didn't?

Or was this meant to happen? Which raises even more questions.

Last edited:

TrustInOle

What the absolute feck was going on there? Not one of the players clocked on and thought that can't be right? De Gea didn't? The management team didn't?

You don't even see this in youth level football. :lol:

Eddy_JukeZ

The entire coaching staff and Ole need to be sacked.

No one should stay.

SCJY

I put blame firmly on the captain and manager who doesn’t get off his arse.

Alan Partridge

What the absolute feck was going on there? Not one of the players clocked on and thought that can't be right? De Gea didn't? The management team didn't?

Bloody de Gea! He should’ve run on to the pitch and marked Ba. Real shambles..

orjeve

if you see the clip you can see phelan shouting and pointing to get back, so its clear the coaching team did not want them to be in that shape.

L1nk

Then you have this as well

Tarrou

I didn't see the game but that is really shocking

The only time this might be somewhat acceptable is with a couple of minutes to go and you need a goal

Ekeke

We have no idea what the defenders were told for corners. But we can see that Matic was the deepest and could therefore see his entire team of outfield players in front of him. So he knows he's the last man. This is on him. He could have screamed and shouted instead he did nothing

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The picture doesn’t show coaching problem but shows brainless footballers.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Except if it's a complete one-off, you can't blame tactical shape on players, that doesn't make sense - except if you assume players are supposed to make up their formation in the course of the game, but that would lead you back to a lack of coaching/preparation.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Except if it's a complete one-off, you can't blame tactical shape on players, that doesn't make sense - except if you assume players are supposed to make up their formation in the course of the game, but that would lead you back to a lack of coaching/preparation.
Every footballers even Sunday League footballers know that if you are assigned to stay back during the corner kick means it’s your job to stay back, don’t leave your position and be aware where the opposition players are. You don’t need coaching for this, you just need footballer to use bit of brain. Unless if they don’t have brain but just a machine or robot.

kiristao

We generally leave AWB and Fred behind at corners so I am assuming this time it was AWB and Matic (which itself is a mistake considering his lack of pace and height). AWB went ahead to join the attack when they ball came towards his side. Matic, instead of sticking to Ba even more, decided to move right and cover for AWB.

hobbers

We have an exceptionally stupid set of defensive players right now. The likes of Maguire, Shaw, AWB, Fred, McTominay, Pogba when playing in a deeper role etc... these guys all have incredibly low "footballing IQs". To use a hackneyed phrase.

But not only that, the guys who are experienced and have a bit of brains about them are very quiet and meek on the pitch, specifically Matic and Lindelof.

So they're not going to figure it out on their own. They all need extensive coaching. They all need their hands held in what to do during all possible situations and scenarios. But clearly they're receiving no defensive coaching at all. There's no work on team pressing, no work on improving their communication with each other, no work on defensive positioning. No drills.

Red_toad

It’s simply down to coaching, everyone should know their positions and responsibilities, as it should be drilled into them. Usually falls on AWB to be last man as he’s rapid and an actual defender. No idea though who thought Matic should be the last man?

pass.pass.pass

Brainless footballers? Whatever happened to the buck stops with the manager?

EDIT: Of course, the mistakes were brainless, and the players should be blamed for it. Matic should be aware of what's around him as the last man. Maguire should be blamed for not being a leader of his defence, nevermind a leader of the team. But really, it's not the goals we concede that is worrying but what we do at the other end of the pitch. There are screenshots of our attacking players bunched up in one corner of the field while there are wide open spaces to attack everywhere else. We are simply not coached well. Only wilful ignorance can prevent a fan from seeing that at this point.

Last edited:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
We have an exceptionally stupid set of defensive players right now. The likes of Maguire, Shaw, AWB, Fred, McTominay, Pogba when playing in a deeper role etc... these guys all have incredibly low "footballing IQs". To use a hackneyed phrase.

But not only that, the guys who are experienced and have a bit of brains about them are very quiet and meek on the pitch, specifically Matic and Lindelof.

So they're not going to figure it out on their own. They all need extensive coaching. They all need their hands held in what to do during all possible situations and scenarios. But clearly they're receiving no defensive coaching at all. There's no work on team pressing, no work on improving their communication with each other, no work on defensive positioning. No drills.
Stupid players need to be coached. We've got stupid players, so we need them to be coached.

So either Ole and his coaching staff need to change something up, or they need to be let go off, because we're going nowhere fast.

A few famous wins here and there amongst consistently bad results and performances is not good enough. We used to mock other clubs for turning up for certain games only while being shite in others. We've become that kind of a team.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Every footballers even Sunday League footballers know that if you are assigned to stay back during the corner kick means it’s your job to stay back, don’t leave your position and be aware where the opposition players are. You don’t need coaching for this, you just need footballer to use bit of brain. Unless if they don’t have brain but just a machine or robot.
So I suppose you're saying that the issue is that the players ignored clear instructions in this instance?

Could be, I don't know. I'm just surprised cause usually shape is the responsibility of the coach. If there were one player in the wrong place, you could blame him, but here it's more than that.

On the other hand, if this situation was a clear exception and otherwise never happens to United (no idea, I didn't watch), then there is anyway not much point discussing it as symptomatic of anything.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Didnt get to see the match, but that was absolutely shocking to see. This is the Champions fecking League, not football for toddlers.

Much can be said about coaching, but i dont know if this particular incident can be blamed on that. If you have ever played football for more than 5 hours you bloody well know that is a pretty terrible idea

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
This is what happens when footballers are told "go out and do whatever you want".

I am kidding btw, but what the feck was the manager and assistant staff smoking? Was everyone asleep? What do we do on training pitch? Pose for photographs?

croadyman

We don't seem to be practising passing drills in training enough by the looks of it, we give the ball away so much during the games and that is the only explanation I can come up with

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We have no idea what the defenders were told for corners. But we can see that Matic was the deepest and could therefore see his entire team of outfield players in front of him. So he knows he's the last man. This is on him. He could have screamed and shouted instead he did nothing
Matic has been done for ages and a few decent performances at the back end of last season after 2 months off shouldn’t have changed that but it’s like the owners don’t even watch the team or realise what it needs to go up levels.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So I suppose you're saying that the issue is that the players ignored clear instructions in this instance?

Could be, I don't know. I'm just surprised cause usually shape is the responsibility of the coach. If there were one player in the wrong place, you could blame him, but here it's more than that.

On the other hand, if this situation was a clear exception and otherwise never happens to United (no idea, I didn't watch), then there is anyway not much point discussing it as symptomatic of anything.
Matic was instructed to stay at the back instead of going forward during that corner kick. It’s a simple & very clear instruction.

Are you trying to tell me that instead of just telling the player to stay back during the corner kick, the manager should be making this simple manner to complicated and very specific manner like this: ‘

‘’Hey, Matic, you know when I told you to stay back, please make sure you are aware where the opposition players like Demba Ba is, don’t leave him alone, don’t be ball watching and be alert where the player is.‘’

Are you telling me the manager has to say that?? When you are told to stay back during corner it’s pretty obvious the purpose for that is to be alert for counter attack and aware where the opposition player is, don’t you think? And Matic was far off from where Demba Ba, he was marking no one.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It’s simply down to coaching, everyone should know their positions and responsibilities, as it should be drilled into them. Usually falls on AWB to be last man as he’s rapid and an actual defender. No idea though who thought Matic should be the last man?
When player is instructed to stay at the back during corner, it’s pretty obvious the purpose for that is to be alert for counter attack and aware where the opposition player is, don’t you think? You don’t need coaching for that.

When Rio Ferdinand lost his pace in his 34 and 35 years old, he always stay back being the last man. We’ve also seen Lindelof does it. You don’t need to be rapid quick in order to mark one player alone especially if that player is 35 years old Demba Ba.

The issue wasn’t because Matic isn’t rapid, he didn’t even get outpaced, he was already way behind Demba Ba before the pass was on. The issue was Matic was so far off from where Demba Ba was. He was ball watching and had no idea where his man was, that’s a player’s mistakes. Manager doesn’t instruct player to stay back for purpose of ball watching.

SAFMUTD

When player is instructed to stay at the back during corner, it’s pretty obvious the purpose for that is to be alert for counter attack and aware where the opposition player is, don’t you think? You don’t need coaching for that.

When Rio Ferdinand lost his pace in his 34 and 35 years old, he always stay back being the last man. We’ve also seen Lindelof does it. You don’t need to be rapid quick in order to mark one player alone especially if that player is 35 years old Demba Ba.

The issue wasn’t because Matic isn’t rapid, he didn’t even get outpaced, the issue was Matic was so far off from where Demba Ba was. He was ball watching and had no idea when his man was.
I completely disagree, its basic tactics that the last man should be fast, usually a wingback.

Matic is slow as feck, even if Demba Ba is 35 years old is still stupid leaving one of your slowest, if not the slowest, players to mark the last man on a one on one.

I agree Matic's position cant be blamed on Ole, no one is that stupid to coach such a thing, but the fact that he was the last man thats on Ole, thats definately coached. The same happened against Spurs, its not a casuality.

Anyway Ole will be gone sooner than later, his lack of coaching skills is evident and its showing on how the team struggles to break low blocks every single time.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I completely disagree, its basic tactics that the last man should be fast, usually a wingback.

Matic is slow as feck, even if Demba Ba is 35 years old is still stupid leaving one of your slowest, if not the slowest, players to mark the last man on a one on one.

I agree Matic's position cant be blamed on Ole, no one is that stupid to coach such a thing, but the fact that he was the last man thats on Ole, thats definately coached. The same happened against Spurs, its not a casuality.

Anyway Ole will be gone sooner than later, his lack of coaching skills is evident and its showing on how the team struggles to break low blocks every single time.
The basic thing is do not be ball watching. If Matic wasn’t ball watching and aware where Demba Ba was, he could easily position himself to intercept the ball or stopping Demba Ba.

We have seen in constant basis that Sir Alex left a slow 34 years old Rio to stay back, are you telling me Sir Alex’s decision was stupid?

SAFMUTD

The basic thing is do not be ball watching. If Matic wasn’t ball watching and aware where Demba Ba was, he could easily position himself to intercept the ball or stopping Demba Ba.

We have seen in constant basis that Sir Alex left a slow 34 years old Rio to stay back, are you telling me Sir Alex’s decision was stupid?
I agree Matic could have done much better than that, but why would you expose the team by leaving your slowest player vulnerable to counterattacking? As I said this is not a casualty, this happened before in the game against Spurs its clear its a coaching instruction.

For first Ferdinand was never Matic slow, not even in his last years. Second of all I dont remember Sir Alex coaching to leave Ferdinand on an open field situation at minute 12.

Lets not try to justify stupid decisions by comparing with Sir Alex. Comparing Sir Alex one of, if not the greatest coach, of all times to Ole is just insulting to say the least. Im tired of people comparing Ole to him "he's doing it like the old days like Sir Alex used to do".

Jesse Lingard is closer to Messi than Ole is to Sir Alex, thats how insulting those comparations are.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
First goal:

As I said in the other thread, I don't have too much of a problem with anything until AWB passes the ball the first time. At that point he should continue to drop deeper, both to give the ball-carrier a different option and (more importantly) provide the defensive cover which he's supposed to when we take a corner. Matic' movement is also very poor. Does the right thing in the first place to drop deeper, but after that it's poor. In theory somebody else (probably Shaw or Tuanzebe) should see the problem and be rushing back to cover since AWB is now out of position, but those are much smaller errors. Perhaps a finger could be pointed at Henderson as well as he's seeing everything in front of him so could have been screaming at somebody to get back in cover, although that's probably harsh. Actually the exact same thing could be said about our coaching team on the side of the field.

But overall it was definitely mostly AWB and Matic. They both should be made to watch that play multiple times and shown exactly what they should have been doing at that time.

Then you have this as well

With this one, it was basically 2v2 on the right side of the box (Mata was behind play so was out of it) so I can't really blame either Axel or Maguire on being dragged over to that side although they both could have done a bit better. Once again it's mostly on Matic who was level with the attacking midfielders when we lost the ball but watched them run off him then just jogged back. You can see the difference in starting positions between Shaw (who was pushed up in an attacking position while we had the ball) and Matic here just before we lost the ball in this following image yet Shaw actually beats Matic back to our box. If Matic had actually pulled his finger out and tried he may have been able to at least put the attacker under pressure.

Last edited:

Son

We have a very good squad. The excuses all the time it’s the players is just ridiculous. Maybe we could do with a few upgrades in defence and a winger but we still have one of the most expensive sides ever assembled & some awesome players.

No excuses at all the way we started the season. It’s been an absolute disgrace to the club and the coaching and preparation has been inept. Unforgivable.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I agree Matic could have done much better than that, but why would you expose the team by leaving your slowest player vulnerable to counterattacking? As I said this is not a casualty, this happened before in the game against Spurs its clear its a coaching instruction.

For first Ferdinand was never Matic slow, not even in his last years. Second of all I dont remember Sir Alex coaching to leave Ferdinand on an open field situation at minute 12.

Lets not try to justify stupid decisions by comparing with Sir Alex. Comparing Sir Alex one of, if not the greatest coach, of all times to Ole is just insulting to say the least. Im tired of people comparing Ole to him "he's doing it like the old days like Sir Alex used to do".

Jesse Lingard is closer to Messi than Ole is to Sir Alex, thats how insulting those comparations are.
Matic wasn't supposed to be the last man. AWB was, as he always is. Matic stuffed up his positioning once AWB stupidly decided to go completely AWOL, but it was AWB who left him alone in such a poor position.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Not ‘’could have done’’, Matic should be doing much better.

Bissaka was staying back during the corner not just Matic, He got the pass and he decided to take on players and delivered the cross. And beside, it looks open because Bissaka decided to dribble to forward and Matic left Demba Ba open when it was his job to mark him, thus it’s not about coaching problem.

Your issue was being not rapid. Ferdinand was very slow in his 34 and since 11/12 to 12/13 he always assigned to stay back during our corner unless if we were behind.

devips

I am all 'Ole in', but I can't ever condone his getting rid of Smalling so casually, without fixing his defence.

SAFMUTD

Not ‘’could have done’’, Matic should be doing much better.

Bissaka was staying back during the corner not just Matic, He got the pass and he decided to take on players and delivered the cross. And beside, it looks open because Bissaka decided to dribble to forward and Matic left Demba Ba open when it was his job to mark him, thus it’s not about coaching problem.

Your issue was being not rapid. Ferdinand was very slow in his 34 and since 11/12 to 12/13 he always assigned to stay back during our corner unless if we were behind.

Matic wasn't supposed to be the last man. AWB was, as he always is. Matic stuffed up his positioning once AWB stupidly decided to go completely AWOL, but it was AWB who left him alone in such a poor position.
Completely agree with the AWB poor decision, its a stupid mistake from him which left us wide open to the easiest counterattack we've seen, my point its that its not the first time this has happened under Ole. Its obviously the players fault but the fact that it hasnt been corrected speaks pretty poorly on Ole's coaching.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Completely agree with the AWB poor decision, its a stupid mistake from him which left us wide open to the easiest counterattack we've seen, my point its that its not the first time this has happened under Ole. Its obviously the players fault but the fact that it hasnt been corrected speaks pretty poorly on Ole's coaching.
Im struggling to understand how can you blame poor coaching for players being ball watching and not being discipline for those two goals we conceded. Matic has been caught ball watching since Mourinho era in here. Players decides to be ball watching, completely switch off & unaware where your man was show the poor attitude and lack of skill in sensing danger.

Look at this clip below. If Bruno & Scott decided not to run back and drop back to help the defense like Matic did, we could have been conceded the same way as how we conceded yesterday. It's no wonder we are defensively better with Fred & Scott in midfield.