This new 'block the keeper's view' free kick routine

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There is no offsides the shot isn't even in direction of the players.

MAME DIOUF 32

I don't see how they can not be distracting the goalkeeper.

Anyway, the fact that finding loopholes is what we resort to against Shrewsbury Town is embarrassing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If players are blocking the GK vision on a direct FK, then it's his responsibility to move as long as those players aren't directly on him. Our players were at least ten meters away from him and made no attempt to play the ball.

SER19

This thread is embarrassing.

"Depressing" "stupid"

We scored and it was entertaining and different. How are they interfering with play any more than a player added to the wall obscuring the keepers view. If a player is running away from the goal, about 8 yards from the line and two yards behind the huge wall that the keeper himself made then it's not interfering or obstructing anything in an illegal way. Ducking complain about anything

SER19

If players are blocking the GK vision on a direct FK, then it's his responsibility to move as long as those players aren't directly on him. Our players were at least ten meters away from him and made no attempt to play the ball.
Exactly

Shimo

http://www.espnfc.us/manchester-uni...ed-learned-free-kick-routine-from-midtjylland

From there it says that we spoke to the refs in the Midtjylland game and they said it was legal. I don't get why people are embarrassed about picking up a nice little play from a team just because they are "lower". It's football, so many of the best players have been influenced from the playground they've grown up around - beauty of the game.

SER19

http://www.espnfc.us/manchester-uni...ed-learned-free-kick-routine-from-midtjylland

From there it says that we spoke to the refs in the Midtjylland game and they said it was legal. I don't get why people are embarrassed about picking up a nice little play from a team just because they are "lower". It's football, so many of the best players have been influenced from the playground they've grown up around - beauty of the game.
In fact it's more likely to pick up these things from less high profile teams

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The reverse snobbery about this goal is stupid. Fact is, we thought up a cute routine and it worked. Great execution from Mata as well.

As to the offside whinges, it's at least arguable that the players were not interfering as they ran away from the ball. I don't know why anyone is saying they are blocking the keeper's view when they clearly weren't. He would have had no different view of the ball if they hadn't been there.

The fact that he chose to be distracted by their manoeuvre? Tough.

Legitimate goal as the ref/lino clearly saw their position and deemed it ok. Well done lads

Parry Gallister

Did enjoy Van Gaal explaining that to the press, he had a bone to pick!

Hopefully will go some way to making the offside rules slightly less convoluted/more consistently enforced.

thelemon

Would you all prefer us not to score?

We may be having an awful season, and yes I want Van Gaal sacked, but credit where credit's due, we saw another team trying it, they were successful, and we have used it ourselves. What's wrong with that? It shows initiative or something. Who cares if they're a "lower league team"? It's effective and I'd rather us use it now than suffer from it at a later point. Small team or not, it's a decent tactic, and no different to signing, say, a promising youth product from their academy.

If you're embarrassed that we used a new (at least for the Premier League) method of taking free-kicks and scored a bloody goal from it, then I'm embarrassed for you, to be honest. Why can't everyone just be happy we won a game comfortably with multiple goals? If the idea that Van Gaal might have come up with it makes you "depressed", then you have issues, because that clearly shows that you'd rather him fail, because it further proves you right that he should be sacked. He should be sacked, I'm not denying that, but the fact that you get "depressed" when we do something right is seriously fecked up.

We scored a nice goal and we're a (perfectly manageable) win away from Wembley, smile for once you miserable cnuts.

Oh, and if you're upset over whether or not it was offside (not sure why you would be :lol:), Van Gaal said they checked with the refs first and were given assurances that it wouldn't be deemed offside. Given part of the rule is related to the ref's opinion, I don't think we need to lose any sleep tonight over whether or not we "cheated".

stu_1992

I dunno how much of a distraction it really is, but it's nto something you're gonna get away with after you've done it once. I could see Premier League refs being more strict on it.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Distracting the keeper like I said. Breaking his concentration and influencing his decision making. There's nothing wrong with that of course, unless you do it in an offside position when the ball is struck. Had they timed it better and moved back onside when the ball was struck, it'd be a perfectly legal move. That's the nature of the offside law.
That's not what that rules means. Interfering with an opponent is pretty clear. If they aren't obstructing his view then they aren't interfering with him. If you look at the keeper he doesn't even pay attention to them, he's trying to see the taker but it's hard because his own wall is obstructing his view which is natural considering how close the free kick is.
However if they were in his way than it's certainly an offside.

thelemon

I don't see how they can not be distracting the goalkeeper.

Anyway, the fact that finding loopholes is what we resort to against Shrewsbury Town is embarrassing.
Jesus, if Arsenal or Barca did this it'd be all over social media as part of the "beautiful football" that they play. There's no loophole, it's just a clever tactic that we may as well use if we find ourselves with a free-kick. Isn't this what football's all about?

Do you lot want entertaining football or not? Make up your minds...

Kostur

海尔的老板
Has anyone thought of their keeper and defenders? How they felt about it? They must be sad and angry now, been cheated by mighty Manchester United. Will anybody think of children? LVG is just ruthless in his doings, somebody stop this absolute madman.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
What a depressing place this place has become. "Fans" of Man Utd embarrassed to see their team score a goal. Why? because it may have been offside. Good feckn grief!

Baxter

Any time it's used now I think it'll be flagged offside. Won't be able to use it anymore :lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Would've gone in anyways...shades of Mata's free kick against us which produced one of Dave's best ever saves, which is saying something. Just a bit lower.

RustyS

It was offside but I don't care. It was a bit stupid to use it against Shrewberry though, wasn't it? Next time we try it, it will be called offside and it will probably be in a game that will be harder to win.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I don't understand. They aren't really near the keeper at all, the ball was clearly coming from the other side, they didn't run towards the location the ball was coming from they just ran up, they made no attempt to do anything but run away. The keeper should be looking in the direction of mata (and is) as he has no reason to worry about 3 pretty far offside players, the ball passed over the wall the keeper set. Maybe the keeper shouldn't have left so much space to his left.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
The strategy is quite clearly for our players to block the keepers view - they're between the keeper and the ball before Mata takes the free kick, and obviously Martial is rather in the way in the first one.

I'm all for something creative, but just feels like an odd thing to learn, practice and fair enough execute, when it will be likely be called up from here on out.

The logic of some folks is all over the shop though. It's the opposition keeper's responsibility to move himself to see around offside players? Great, let's just get our biggest player (hey, Fellaini's fro IS useful!) to step side to side blocking the keeper's view when trying to build the wall.

All that said, if this forces the powers that be to stop f*cking with these ridiculous exceptions and just have a simple offside rule, I'm all for it. Don't forget Evans' own goal against Newcastle when he was dragged to ground by an offside player as he scored an own goal...who the ref deemed hadn't been interfering.

montpelier

The keeper wants to see the ball, they are a screen to stop him doing this until they run out. GK gets anxious, might move to wrong place, I dunno.

If it works right they won't be offside - the ball ain't in play. Seeing it on MotD, Junior Brown(?) has a good go at keeping them onside from the far side.

Too much of an element of low-level cheatyness for me (as a dull old fart) to find it greatly entertaining though.

Also it looks stupid, esp when you get biffed in the head by a scoring shot. Never mind the children, what about the rebounds, when your strike force is galloping away from the goal?

Shimo

Will annoy the high and mighty ones even more - LVG's quoted as saying he thinks regardless of the refs in Portugal saying it's within the rules he still think it's offside but, they've incorporated it anyway :)

Ainu

That's not what that rules means. Interfering with an opponent is pretty clear. If they aren't obstructing his view then they aren't interfering with him. If you look at the keeper he doesn't even pay attention to them, he's trying to see the taker but it's hard because his own wall is obstructing his view which is natural considering how close the free kick is.
However if they were in his way than it's certainly an offside.
I think interfering is pretty clear too, but I still have a very different idea of it then you. The keeper is influenced by their presence, I don't think anyone can deny that.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
There is no offsides the shot isn't even in direction of the players.
The clearest indication that it's offside is that the players run back with the last defender trying to stay onside. They wouldn't have moved otherwise. If the goalkeeper's view is obscured then they're interfering with play and it's offside. The officials just missed a straightforward decision.

That said it really is incredible what people complain about on here

CG1010

Calm down folks. This is the universe's way of paying us back for a wrongly disallowed goal we scored against Chelsea once from a corner routine between Giggs and Rooney. Don't remember which year that was but Giggs pretend to take over from Rooney for the corner kick, whereas in reality Rooney had already started the play.

ZupZup

I think interfering is pretty clear too, but I still have a very different idea of it then you. The keeper is influenced by their presence, I don't think anyone can deny that.
But that's the keeper's fault. For the players to be offside in that situation they would have had to have been in his line of vision... which they weren't when Mata kicks the ball.

Law 11:
“interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The clearest indication that it's offside is that the players run back with the last defender trying to stay onside. They wouldn't have moved otherwise. If the goalkeeper's view is obscured then they're interfering with play and it's offside. The officials just missed a straightforward decision.

That said it really is incredible what people complain about on here
It only indicates they're in an offside position, not offside. The wall is the one that really obstructs the view and the fact they don't jump and the keeper doesn't either is the real reason for the goal.

Ainu

But that's the keeper's fault. For the players to be offside in that situation they would have had to have been in his line of vision... which they weren't when Mata kicks the ball.

Law 11:
“interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball.
Just checked the laws again and I missed that last definition. I stand corrected, not an offside according to the laws of the game. Bizarre in my opinon though.