This season: what are your best hopes and worst fears?

fastwalker

Ok, so the new season is just around the corner. The first hurdle of the season (the transfer window) is about to be passed and things are looking quite good. We go into next season with Wan-Bissaka and Maguire transforming our defence and the strong possibility that De Gea will sign a new contract and recover his imperious form. Elsewhere, there is a good chance that Paul Pogba will stay and the chance that we might yet get either or both Dybala and Fernandez. If you are a United fan, all of a sudden, there are real reasons to be cheerful.

That said, we all know that football matches are not won or lost in the transfer market, nor are any trophies handed out in pre-season. Yes, there are many reasons to be optimistic by like so many United fans I also recognise that we have been here before with United, only to be disappointed.

So, against the backdrop of what promises to be a very good transfer window, here are my best hopes and fears for the season ahead.

Best hopes

1. United outperform expectations
- in other words, against all the odds, United put in a genuine and credible title bid. Unlikely though it may seem, I cannot help but think that if we add Dybala and Fernandez and keep Pogba and De Gea, playing at its best, this United side should be competitive.

2. Champions League qualification - to be honest, this is the absolute minimum that I would expect and not as fourth, I would expect third. In terms of personnel, if we can get Dybala and or Fernandez, I would say that we would have improved enough to make top four. The idea that we would have spent £150m to finish outside the top four again would simply be unacceptable to me.

3. The defensive problems are solved - if our back four stay fit I would reasonably expect United to ship half the goals that we did last season. The benefit of having Wan-Bissaka and Maguire at the heart of our defence should produce an instant dividend. We could even rival Liverpool and City for the best defence in the Premier League.

4. Exciting football and consistent performances - I am really hoping that we can deliver the sorts of performances that we did in Ole's first 11 games, when we looked like a team transformed. Players played to their fullest potential and the fetters came off. My best hope is that we can have a couple of incredible runs like that next season.

5. A trophy - I see absolutely no reason why United should not be winning a trophy this season. Again, injuries permitting United should be a completely different proposition this season compared to last.

My worst fears

1. We improve, but the other top six teams improve even more - this is a real worry and to be honest I expect all the top six sides that have done business to improve. For those that haven't, that Liverpool side is still in its absolute prime and Chelsea will be drawing heavily on a number of players who, with the transfer ban, will feel that they have one season to play for their futures.

2. It turns out that Ole really doesn't have a clue - the end of last season should haunt any true United fan. It was utterly shambolic. I am hoping that it was simply an aberration, something that was down to tired players and a lingering hang-over from the Mourinho era, but what if it wasn't? What if Ole really cannot rouse this group over a full Premier League campaign? Well we are about to find out?

3. Major injuries - to be honest, the loss of either Maguire or Wan-Bissaka would be disastrous for us. We have absolutely no real depth of quality in either position. The drop off if we were to see an injury to either plyer, would simply be too great.

4. The return of player power - as it stands it looks like the players want to play for Ole, which is exactly how it should be. However, I am far from convinced that if the going gets tough they won't just down tools again just like they did last season. There are players at United who are angling for moves away and others who are sitting on fat contracts, whilst using United as a retirement home. There are players in the United dressing room who know perfectly well that if push comes to shove Ole will go before they do.

Ok those are my best hopes and worst fears. What do others think?

C'est Moi Cantona

Worst fears are that we repeat the usual - we are crap, manager gets sacked, Ed manages to divert all the blame on him, and we are back asking the same question this time next year.

Devil may care

My biggest hopes are getting top 4, playing some exciting football with a definitive style, not chopping and changing all of the time, for Martial and Rashford to step their level up and find some consistency, and for Wan-Bissaka to develop an attacking game to go with his excellent defensive qualities.

My biggest fears are that Ole is out of his depth and that Martial and Rashford are simply not up to the task, but something that isn't a fear but I feel is a fact is the midfield situation is dire, Matic is finished, Pogba in a 2 is very risky and neither McTominay or Fred are good enough to be starters.

Cmz'

Biggest hopes are: a clear style of play being implemented, youngsters being given an opportunity to stake a claim for a first team place, Top 4.

Biggest fear is that this intense style of football will work in the short term but in the long term will leave the players knackered and/or injured which will lead to more performances like last season, the manager getting sacked and having to go through this all again with another manager.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Best hope would obviously be to win the PL but as that doesn't seem likely I'll take the next best in a competitive 2nd/3rd place finish with signs that we're not far off

Worst fear would be a repeat of most of what we've seen over the past 6 years adding further proof that no one at the club is fit to be here

dove

Best hopes - TOP 4 with a decent watchable type of football.
Worst fears - lose against Chelsea and Wolves and I think it will all unravel very quickly resulting Ole getting sacked by December.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If Pogba gets a long term injury (assuming he is staying) it's season over. We literally have nobody in the squad capable of pulling the strings bar him. It's a huge huge issue.

youmeletsfly

Best hopes:
- Rashford somehow learns to get his head out of his ass and stops wasting or slowing down all of our chances
- MCT steps up big time because boy we need a midfielder
- Ole stops kissing everyone's ass and puts the hammer down on these players

Worst fears:
- Ole is still a bit of a tiny dog, keeps playing the likes of Mata, Matic, Lingard, doesn't drop Rashford when needed
- We won't sign anyone other than Maguire
- Having no proven goalscorer + playing Pogba in a midfield two

shaky

Best hopes - win every game
Worst fears - lose every game

Greck

Hope - Ole turns out to be a really good manager at tactical management and technical patterns because that's the foundational minimum of a modern manager

Fear is the opposite

Web of Bissaka

Worst Fear - another false hope, usual bs empty promises, more downing tools.

Best Hope - genuine chances given to players who deserve it, mainly the young and youth players. All our players finally bothers to give it their all every game.

AFC NimbleThumb

Worst fear. Seeing a starting line up with the names Mata, Matic & Young in it.

I expect that fear to be realised by mid-September.

m1tch

Worst fear is the players downing tools again, not exactly great fun watching that play out every couple of years (or less).

Best hopes are to see 11 players lineup up for us that really want to be here.

Von Mistelroum

Highest hopes, realistically , top 4 if we get a couple of decent signings. Worst fears...lose Pogba, sign nobody and end up in the bottom 4 instead.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Hope: we integrate the likes of Gomes and Greenwood and we comfortably qualify for the Champions league, establish an identity as a club with a style. We win a cup.

Fear: Ole shows he’s not up for the task but we persist and we hit that 12 game loss slump as we did under Ole last season again.

End the season feeling like we need another rebuild and that Maguire is shit.

wolvored

Best hopes are we finish top 4,5-6 points off the top maybe with a cup as well. Rashford Martial get 45+ goals between them and the rest of the squad chip in with 30+. The defence with the 2 additions is rock solid. Couple of the kids, Greenwood Gomez will become part of the first team squad and play fairly regularly. James will claim RW and next season with another 3-4 additions can challenge for the top.
Realistically we havent got the firepower to fight for 4th place unless Lukaku stops, or we buy a striker before next friday. Rashford Martial and Lingard are all vastly inconsistant in front of goal. Greenwood, James Gomez are very raw and might not get much game time. If Pogba is sold we havent anything coming from midfield. Once again we are relying on the board to work on getting players in before next friday

Revaulx

Best hope: We regularly play the style of football Ole obviously wants us to play.

Worst fear: We haven’t got the players for it, and I don’t mean just legacy players like Mata and Matic. I’m worried that our signings* will be more suited to the style of football favoured by our last manager.

* other than Dan James, who I think will be great.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Best hopes:
  1. Greenwood, Gomes and Chong all get integrated in the team and push on
  2. Martial, Rashford and Shaw take the step up their talent is capable of
  3. Wan Bissaka and Maguire sort out the back 4
  4. McTominay progresses and is seen as a key player, being very impressive as the defensive mid next to Pogba.
  5. Matic/Mata used only sparingly to rest players and phased out.
  6. Dybala signs, has an Aguero level impact, looks world class and we end with 80+ points, finishing 2nd or 3rd
  7. We win a cup
Worst fears:
  1. We finish ~6th and flop in the cups
  2. Disjointed performances all season
  3. Rashford and Martial don't progress at all, but we persist and don't properly integrate any youth
  4. Matic becomes one of those undroppable for no reason types
  5. Maguire turns out the same as what we have
  6. Pogba throws a strop or barely puts in effort and is a constant nuisance
  7. McTominay struggles to kick on and our midfield gives us many problems because of how unbalanced it is
Honestly think we'll be closer to the best case scenario than worst case this season. Basically last season under Mourinho was the worst case. First 3 months of Ole are best case.

Gasolin

Biggest hope: Win the league with Ole, Phelan, Carrick and Kieran showing the team what this is all about.

Worst fear: That somehow it doesn't click and we end up having a bad run that would kill the morale.

Irwin99

Hopes:

Top 4, a trophy, good football and the youngsters coming through and performing well. Some classic United performances vs big teams that we’ll never forget (Like PSG away last season). Maguire becomes a real leader for us, AWB and Shaw nail those full back positions.

Fears
A bad start will only continue the worries from last season. The older players let us down again but the younger ones aren’t ready to step up. The Pogba circus continues to create controversy, Ole is probably sacked at some point.

Genuinely have no idea how this season is going to play out for us but I don’t think our defence will be a problem. The midfield and attack is where I can see the biggest problems emerging.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
A lot of my hopes hinge on the Dybala deal, if that goes through I think, on paper, we're looking like the best bet for top 4. I think we'd have the best team in the Europa League too, although a lot of that hinges on what teams drop down from the CL. I think we're perfectly capable of a domestic trophy too. Without Dybala I think the best we can hope for is top 4 but without him I think it's too close to call between ourselves, Arsenal and Chelsea.

My worst fear is that we're a serious Pogba injury away from being rendered midfield-less. I like McTominay but after him there's a serious drop in quality.

I'm willing to have patience, we're at the start of a brand new project and the early signs are promising. We're still a quality RW away from seriously challenging for anything and there are positions in the team that can be upgraded though aren't necessarily concerns.

Ander herrera the warrior

Worse fear is we have only Matic as a defensive midfielder going into the season. How's is that even possible?

Anyone has any clue what is ole planning? Please don't say Mctominay as we have already know he is better as a b2b midfielder.

redshaw

I might've said my worst fear was Ole getting sacked by Christmas but some of the signings like Bissaka and Maguire have made me more optimistic.

Now my fear now is we get embroiled in a battle with Wolves, Everton, Leicester while Arsenal have done enough to out score many teams to land 4th.

Hope is we can challenge for the title and the points required is ~86.

M15 Red.

Hoping for a brief title challenge with 3rd/4th a consolation and some good football to boot. For everymanc a religion is Ole being gone by Christmas and us looking as lost as ever as a team/club.

Luke1995

Best hope: A great attacking partnership like Cole-Yorke or Rooney-Ronaldo. Rashford and Martial are supposed to be that...

Worst fear: Another season without Champions League. Top four or winning the Europa League is a must.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Best hope: Top 3, with some young players breaking through, and with good attacking/pressing football

Worst fear: Finish at around 6th again, looking totally clueless at times, like end of last season

Denis79

Best hope is we somehow win the PL

Expect us to finish somewhere between 3rd and 6th

Worst scenario Ole gets the sack and we're on to our 4th rebuild.

kundalini

Best hopes:

- Rashford becomes an elite forward, Lindelof builds on last season, De Gea back to his best
- Greenwood, Chong and Gomes get some mins and make an impact
- McTominay continues to improve, Martial works hard
- Continuity of selection in the PL
- Hard working team that looks like it can compete for titles in the future

Worst fears:

- Matic, Mata, Jones, Young, Smalling, Sanchez, get more playing time than younger alternatives
- Pogba can't be bothered with the defensive side of the game
- Solskjaer confuses team with endless changes of formation
- minimal playing time for Greenwood
- Maguire's lack of pace costs us
- De Gea's spring 2019 form continues into 19/20
- We continue to look like a very ordinary team

Last edited:

Raven96__

Supports
Real Madrid
The best thing United can hope for is competing with city and lfc and by that I mean fighting for the 1st place.

Worst is obviously outside the top 4, maybe injuries to important players.

Roosney

I hope we play attack first and my fear is that Pogba turns on the virus mode.

redIndianDevil

Best Hope : We improve our playing style, play good quick passing football with good movement and gradual improvement..
Worst fear : We continue the way we ended the season last year trying to play on the counter against crap teams, constantly hoofing the ball upfield, playing a deep defence and asking the frontline to press leaving the midfield completely clueless.

FireballXL5

Hope - That we start playing attacking, exciting fast football.

Fear - That we won't.

Enfant terrible

Hopes:
1. I manage to keep my expectations real
2. No major injuries
3. Ole develops a signature that can be seen in every game we play
4. We give no points easily to no one when we play at home

Fears:
1. I am a delusional idiot and i see things the way i want to see. The season starts and after 3 games i am violently awakened
2. We lose 1 or 2 key players for 3 months
3. Ole panics, starts doing Cambodia tactics, Matic cements his role in the first team
4. DDG is lost forever

mattunited1978

doommonger
Worst fear...Despite Ole's big talk of the United way, he ignores the youth and contues playing the Dross that have got us in the position we'r in.

Best hope...Ole picks team based on performance and not standing, Ego, in the dressing room.

Reddy09

Hopes:
1. Finish top 4.
2. Play exciting football.
3. De Gea and Angel contract extension.
4. Mason and Angel become integral part of 1st team.

Fears:
1. Matic, Mata, Young and Jones taking minutes away from Mason, Axel, Angel and James.

SocccerNomics

Hope - a trophy, win our matches against City and Liverpool. Start to enjoy going to OT again.

Fears - Liverpool march to the title while we are battling with Everton and Wolves for Top 6.