Thomas Muller

Bojan11

2 key passes a game this season. Thats more than any of our players other than Sanchez
And?

We are not as dominant as Bayern are in their league. So it’s a pointless comparison.

Ekeke

And?

We are not as dominant as Bayern are in their league. So it’s a pointless comparison.
Of course it isnt. If you only compare him to his teammates he got 3 more assists and the 2nd most key passes in the team behind James

Someone who is a bad passer doesnt manage that.

Bojan11

Of course it isnt. If you only compare him to his teammates he got 3 more assists and the 2nd most key passes in the team behind James

Someone who is a bad passer doesnt manage that.
I said it’s a pointless comparison to our players.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
He's never been as good as people made out. I nearly died a little inside that time when we were apparently willing to spend £100m on him.
At his best he is that good. But he is a footballing anomaly. He relies entirely on his football brain for He has no pace and poor natural technical skill. So when he loses form he can look beyond ordinary as a result

the_answer

Good to provide a dominant team a 'weird' way of finishing touch. Not the guy to carry a team.

Basso

just saw a tweet on Mullers 2018 world cup stats - 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 key passes, 0 dribbles completee, 4 passes completed / 6% pass completion.

WTF - That cant bright, surely? 6% pass completion...
This fake news post made me laugh so hard:) cheers

MuFc_1992

He's basically Rooney v2.0 and proves that you cannot rely on players who lack technical skills but make up for that with their tenacity and physical attributes to maintain their level forever.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
After screwing us two-three times over players(Hargreaves, Schweini), would like to thank Bayern for not accepting our world record bid for Muller.

robbie81

Supports
Chelsea
He's basically Rooney v2.0 and proves that you cannot rely on players who lack technical skills but make up for that with their tenacity and physical attributes to maintain their level forever.
Don't see the connection to Müller being out of form tbh, he never relied on physical attributes. He's a second striker who is asked to be a wide forward, something he isn't good at. 4-2-3-1 with him behind the cf is and always was the best system to get the most out of him and Löw doesn't use him there.
His form is bad too, so I am not sure it would have make a difference.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Finally looks as shit as you would suggest when you watch some bits of his play. Those 5-6 years when he was truly world class were just a weird anomaly.

Kapardin

Declining ala Rooney. Not physically speaking because he still looks fit but his football has been AWOL for quiet some time now
He's taken swipes at Guardiola and Ancelotti for "not using him properly". Doubt that two such contrasting coaches would arrive at the same decision regarding his skills without reason. If Guardiola had a free hand at Bayern, he would have ostracized him completely and sold him.

Coasting on his rep as a local boy for a couple of years, he's nowhere near the quality required for Bayern to challenge for the CL.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
He's taken swipes at Guardiola and Ancelotti for "not using him properly". Doubt that two such contrasting coaches would arrive at the same decision regarding his skills without reason. If Guardiola had a free hand at Bayern, he would have ostracized him completely and sold him.
After some initial experiments, wasn't he quite brilliant under Pep though? Or maybe he was a bit shit in his third season, that's a good question for the Bayern fans on here.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Coasting on his rep as a local boy for a couple of years, he's nowhere near the quality required for Bayern to challenge for the CL.
Yet Bayern only lost to the eventual winners in the last two years, and have lost to the eventual winners in 5 of the last 7 seasons, winning it in one year. Again, people rewritting Muller's history as a great player from 2009-2016.

After some initial experiments, wasn't he quite brilliant under Pep though? Or maybe he was a bit shit in his third season, that's a good question for the Bayern fans on here.
He scored 32 goals in his last season under Pep, his most ever in a season.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Dislikeable wanker, glad that people are finally turning on the media's darling boy.

Heardy

This is why I wonder if people even watch games or just watch twitter anymore.....no player in their right mind who played 3 games would have those stats in a world cup.

Just one of the few who hit the peak early....Rooney got crippled for declining early, and so is Ozil....but still feel a fair few of that Germany gets kinda missed, truly shows you the level of the Bundesliga really, or maybe how better that country is at not overly mistreating their players just because physical primes come sooner sometimes. Can't fault Muller, given a lot of his body to the game.
i hadnt any of germanys games apart from seeing koreas first goal yesterday.

i assumed thst he had only plsyed a bit part/sub role in a yesterdays game for it to have been true.

ignore me - fake news...

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He's a player whose best attributes are mental, moreso than talent with his feet. Lack of confidence and timing makes him a bit of a non-entity when that goes as he doesn't really have the natural talent to fall back on.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Even if his game was never impressive,he still had that knack of scoring rather important goals. If he loses that, he is just borderline pointless

Canagel

Imagine if LVG had his way back in 2015. He would be stinking up the place here instead. Reminds me of the Rooney situation. Muller has peaked very early just like Rooney did and is on the decline. How long will he keep getting starts for club and country?

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
During the national anthem before Germany's first game of the tournament, this guy winked into the camera with the most arrogant look on his face as it panned past the German team.

In that very moment I concluded that he was, indeed, a twat.

As an aside, I was fortunate enough to see yesterday's game in a pub in Nice surrounded by Germans, all in their official team shirts. It was a glorious experience.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
2 key passes a game this season. Thats more than any of our players other than Sanchez
Hard to compare cross teams when United plays a completely different style in a league that is much more competitive at the top than the Bundesliga. Bayern dominates every game and Müller is someone who always seeks the final pass. This also shows in his passing completion. Müller may have two key passes a game but he also has a pass accuracy of 77%. He also dribbles almost never (0.4 per game) which is the second way to outplay defences. James e.g. has 2.8 key passes and 90% passing accuracy, Robben 85% and 1.6, Thiago 92% and 1.5, Ribery 87% and 1.7, Kimmich 92% and 2.5, even Lewandowski (80%) is more accurate. Sandro Wagner aside, Müller has by far the worst accuracy among every offensive midfielder/wide forward Bayern has.

And just to put it into context, the extremely criticized Özil had Özil had 3.2 key passes and an accuracy of 85%. At the world cup, Özil even had 5.5 key passes and 88% passing accuracy. That's the difference between scapegoat and media darling.

Alfie092

How long has he been in this decline for?

He is still only 28... :confused:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@Balu whats your view on him this days?
I don't really understand why, but he's clearly a problem for both Bayern and Germany nowadays. His level dropped already in Guardiola's final season, his season under Ancelotti was a disaster and while there were promising signs under Heynckes, there wasn't a single performance that's worth any real praise. No clue if he's lost the drive, if the opponents have figured him out or whatever. But he shouldn't start for Bayern or Germany at the moment, there's no doubt about that.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't really understand why, but he's clearly a problem for both Bayern and Germany nowadays. His level dropped already in Guardiola's final season, his season under Ancelotti was a disaster and while there were promising signs under Heynckes, there wasn't a single performance that's worth any real praise. No clue if he's lost the drive, if the opponents have figured him out or whatever. But he shouldn't start for Bayern or Germany at the moment, there's no doubt about that.
In the comments section of SV.de one user tried to explain Müller's fall from grace by a general switch from clear zonal marking to a more man oriented approach in a lot of team's defenses. Which sounds logical in theory, but I haven't watched Müller closely enough to argue for or against it.

SER19

Would anybody advocate going for him to balance our right side. Assuming that a new challenge and new country would reinvigorate him, he has pedigree and is mourinho type attacker in many ways. Also probably not the ludicrous price touted in years gone by

Im not saying i want to, just a thought

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's the classic big name player whose past his best that we just love to sign. A bit like Owen, Mata, Bastian, Valdes, Ibra and Sanchez.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I really hope he regains his form, one of my favorite players for Germany. While his goalscoring numbers have been low he has gotten alot of assists over that same time.

In a Mourinho's system alongside Lukaku? I think he can work as a right sided player.

lsd

The Oracle
Would anybody advocate going for him to balance our right side. Assuming that a new challenge and new country would reinvigorate him, he has pedigree and is mourinho type attacker in many ways. Also probably not the ludicrous price touted in years gone by

If us not signing him meant I would be slowly hacked to death in the most painful fashion ever .

I would still not want us to sign him

NoLogo

I really hope he regains his form, one of my favorite players for Germany. While his goalscoring numbers have been low he has gotten alot of assists over that same time.

In a Mourinho's system alongside Lukaku? I think he can work as a right sided player.
I feel he has always been at his best when he was able to play behind a leading striker, probably as a shadow striker or what ever you call that. On the right he never really convinced me as his main strength seems to be to find space between the lines and exploit the space a big striker can create for him. So yeah I reckon he could be a great partner for Lukaku. That being said I still don't see him leaving Munich before his career is very close to it's end.

Offsideagain

Muller was one of those players always linked with United during countless transfer windows along with Lewandowski and others which was all bollocks. We shouldn’t buy players over 30 whoever they are anyway and Muller shows why.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

He's started consistently for 9 seasons now and is closing in on 30. Maybe it's just a blip, but i think even with better average lifestyles and more sophisticated training of the past generation or two, you're always going to have a decent amount of players that start to decline circa 30. Especially if they've won just about everything there is to win.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's Germany's Dirk Kuyt. He's not really good at anything, but has a great career nonetheless.

Also, he has great hair. I love a guy without tattoos and hair with no gel in it. Having no tattoo is the new tattoo imho.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I can't see any scenario in which he leaves Bayern. Hoeneß is as powerful as in his prime years and he's on a rampage, blaming all the bad developments on the foreign stars like Thiago and Lewandowski. Iconic players like Robbery and Müller are immune to criticism under him and a weak coach like Kovac who is only in his position thanks to Hoeneß and is grateful for the opportunity won't question the president's darlings but do as he is told.

And Müller? There's no way he leaves his comfort zone. He can keep his spot with minimal effort. He has friendly journalists, friendly club officials, has a high standing in the hierarchy of the team, he is more or less guaranteed a starting sport and so on. Moving to another top club would expose his weaknesses and if he'll become a bench player this could question his role for the national team in the current situation. Why should he run this risk? There's much to lose and not much to win for him. Especially since he doesn't seem like a guy who's overly competitive and wants to prove himself in another environment or anything like that. He probably thinks himself that he's still performing well although he's been atrocious, especially for the NT.