Thomas Partey | Arsenal Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Wasn't Rodri meant to be the ducks nuts of Defensive midfielders when he signed with City? He was better than this bloke.
In previous seasons Partey usually played further forward. Once rodri left, he became their starting DM (Rodri only played one season for Atletico). I rate Partey, but I also liked Rodri and he is a bit shit for City. On paper, Partey should be a good fit for the EPL/Arsenal, but its going to be interesting to see how this is going to turn out. Could be brilliant, a bit underwhelming or everything inbetween.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
John Cross:
It's going to be 11 days of fake numbers, i would not believe John Cross for anything Arsenal related. He was around 90k at Atletico so he's clearly at least doubling his money in a contract that will get him to 32. Not sure Madrid could and would have offered him that much.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I remember when Atletico played him at right back and he was great due to his energy. I actually think he’s a little slow with the ball but good player nonetheless.

Obiorahking_

How the hell were we not in for him when we’ve been screaming for a DM of his quality for how long now? Arsenal did well for themselves here.

Ekeke

Think he'll be good for them but wont take them into the top 4. At least not without multiple seasons and similar signings

Mindhunter

I can imagine cringe headlines like “It’s Partey time” each time he scores.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I would have preferred Aouar just due to age but I think in the big picture Arteta is approaching things smartly. We just devoted the lion's share of our summer resources to adding two very athletic, physical, but skillful players to play in the CB/CM 2x2 box. If you're going to try to boss games and commit a lot of players forward in attack, you really need athletic players in those roles who cover a lot of ground and defend comfortably in one on one situations, otherwise you just get hammered in transitions. City hasn't been the same since Kompany left and Fernandinho declined, Liverpool went up levels with Van Dijk and (to a lesser extent) Fabinho, etc. I'm not claiming that Partey and Gabriel will be of comparable quality but you can see why Arteta wants players with their profiles and to build the team from the spine outward. His idea is pretty clearly to move back to a four man backline, but previously he didn't have the players to do that without leaking goals. Hopefully we now can make that move, which should help our attack quite a bit, while still maintaining some good defensive organization and a good balance between attack and defense.

el3mel

Great business from Arsenal. For the first time in years they look to have an actual plan and a project, and are improving step by step.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We would have sign him if Matt & Ed know they can't afford Sancho. The reason why we extent Matic's contract because we want to focus on other area and winger was one of them with Sancho the big transfer fee as the main target. In reality, we extent Matic's contract and we failed to get Sancho or even an alternative show the poor planning & management from us. Good business from Arsenal and I hope he doesn't improve Arsenal at all as a team.

James Peril

Impressive signing by Arsenal, far from the dross they have used to sign in the past. A bit surprised none of Man City or United haven’t signed him as both are in desperate need for some defensive power in the middle. Fred/Matic/McTominay are all far from good enough, City only have Rodri and he is no beast.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Arsenal didn’t pay his release clause Partey ( or Arsenal on behalf of Partey ) paid his €50 million buy out clause.

Whats the difference?

Well firstly there isn’t the option to pay in instalments over a number of years but the main one is how the monies paid out is accounted for. In effect Arsenal have paid Partey €50 million as the buy out was his liability.

Now I am no expert so perhaps their is someone out there that will know what the impact is in terms of taxation but surely that sum will become a benefit in kind so is taxable. If that’s correct then again that would be paid by Arsenal if that’s correct then this is like Kepas transfer going to require a huge injection of cash from somewhere

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Arsenal didn’t pay his release clause Partey ( or Arsenal on behalf of Partey ) paid his €50 million buy out clause.

Whats the difference?

Well firstly there isn’t the option to pay in instalments over a number of years but the main one is how the monies paid out is accounted for. In effect Arsenal have paid Partey €50 million as the buy out was his liability.

Now I am no expert so perhaps their is someone out there that will know what the impact is in terms of taxation but surely that sum will become a benefit in kind so is taxable. If that’s correct then again that would be paid by Arsenal if that’s correct then this is like Kepas transfer going to require a huge injection of cash from somewhere
Just found this article which answers my own question.

Bear in mind this transfer was not agreed by AM.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/buy-out-clauses-how-they-work-spanish-football

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I really rated him at Atlético, but their scheme is ideal for a DM to operate in.

Curious to find out how he'll be for Arsenal if he gets exposed a bit more, especially in the big games.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I really rated him at Atlético, but their scheme is ideal for a DM to operate in.

Curious to find out how he'll be for Arsenal if he gets exposed a bit more, especially in the big games.
Sounds like Liverpool could do with him!

Pagh Wraith

I remember listening to the StatsBomb podcast in July I think in which Ted Knutson (StatsBomb CEO and Arsenal fan) strongly advised against getting Partey.

Gist of it was that they've been watching Partey over the years and his trending and current output isn't exciting at all, costs a lot (big wages, long contract starting at the age of 27) and isn't a signing Arsenal should be making in terms of squadbuilding.

Makelele

Well this is just shocking stuff for me. How on earth were not more clubs after him? I haven't watched him week in week out, but in the games I have, he has looked tremendous.

I can understand why Chelsea, City and Liverpool didn't move for him, but United? He would be the perfect replacement for Matic. Unlike Matic he seems to have underrated passing abilities. And at 27 you are getting someone entering their prime years. One of the most headscratching moves I have seen in recent memory. Arsenal will be massively improved imo. Stunning piece of business.

Judas

Open to offers
I think he's a good player, I'll be interested to see how he does over here. I've never been bowled over and completely convinced by him like some on here are.

My gut tells me Atletico was the perfect setup for him to shine, so we'll see.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
I think he's a good player, I'll be interested to see how he does over here. I've never been bowled over and completely convinced by him like some on here are.

My gut tells me Atletico was the perfect setup for him to shine, so we'll see.
A Simeone defensive type of player playing in a free flowing style ?

Good player of that there is no doubt but is rash in the tackle and when exposed will take a card and gets lots of them

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Will be brilliant under Arteta. They've been hard to break down under him and Thomas gives them great energy and tackling in front of that back four and then someone who can carry the ball through midfield, at his best.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Will be brilliant under Arteta. They've been hard to break down under him and Thomas gives them great energy and tackling in front of that back four and then someone who can carry the ball through midfield, at his best.
Yeah his take-on and dribbling stats are quite a surprise. Streets ahead of all of our mids, so there's a definite step up up right there.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Pretty much every United fan will admit we're currently a shambles. Doesn't mean Arsenal haven't been even worse since SAF stepped down. Remind me exactly what you've done?
I do love that our banter years have seen us playing in Europe throughout, reaching the finals and semis of the Europa, and winning 4 cups in the last 6 years.

Upwards must be a nice place to go now, non?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I do love that our banter years have seen us playing in Europe throughout, reaching the finals and semis of the Europa, and winning 4 cups in the last 6 years.

Upwards must be a nice place to go now, non?
We've won a Europa, got to another semi, won the FA and League cup and been to another FA cup final and semi finals.

Still been an absolute shambles.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Pretty much every United fan will admit we're currently a shambles. Doesn't mean Arsenal haven't been even worse since SAF stepped down. Remind me exactly what you've done?
I was responding to a somewhat dismissive comment about Arsenal. Personally, I fully accept where we currently stand. We have seen some disappointing years and haven’t qualified for the CL in 3 years, so I understand precisely where we are as a club especially under the shocking management of Unai Emery. However, since Arteta joined he has had a considerable impact. So, I’m more optimistic than I have been for some years. We’re not good enough to win the league this season, in my view, though I’m harbouring hopes we might scrape top 4.

As to your question, we have won 4 FA Cups since Fergie left. Most clubs outside the top 2 would bite your arm off for that.

As to Man Utd, I’ve not seen such a bad side since 1974.

If Cavani is the answer, you’re asking the wrong question. He won’t last 70 minutes a game In the English game.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Partey gives us someone who can win the ball high up the pitch. Part of the reason we give away so many shots is we are unable to stop attacks high up the pitch. Xhaka and Ceballos while defensively capable players are not very quick so will get caught out if pressing high up the pitch.

He also gives us so much more mobility and someone who can carry the ball from deep, good sharp passer from deep as well. While our creativity is sorely lacking we also need to be able to get a grip on games and not be under pressure all the time. I think he will help massively in that department.

I would have preferred Aouar just due to age but I think in the big picture Arteta is approaching things smartly. We just devoted the lion's share of our summer resources to adding two very athletic, physical, but skillful players to play in the CB/CM 2x2 box. If you're going to try to boss games and commit a lot of players forward in attack, you really need athletic players in those roles who cover a lot of ground and defend comfortably in one on one situations, otherwise you just get hammered in transitions. City hasn't been the same since Kompany left and Fernandinho declined, Liverpool went up levels with Van Dijk and (to a lesser extent) Fabinho, etc. I'm not claiming that Partey and Gabriel will be of comparable quality but you can see why Arteta wants players with their profiles and to build the team from the spine outward. His idea is pretty clearly to move back to a four man backline, but previously he didn't have the players to do that without leaking goals. Hopefully we now can make that move, which should help our attack quite a bit, while still maintaining some good defensive organization and a good balance between attack and defense.
Thing about Aouar is he's a massive talent who looks ready to step up to another level. He's far from being the finished product so would have taken some time to see the best of him. With Partey it gives us someone who is at the top of his game and walks right into our midfield and improves us. Creativity will improve imo when we go back to 4-3-3 and could use Saka/Willian in the middle. While not as good as having Aouar but we kind of have an internal solution. We have nobody like Partey in the squad.

A shame we couldn't do the deal for Aouar as well, reliable sources say the problem were his agent (family member) wanting a huge agent fee and we walked away.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Brilliant signing it’s a shame we couldn’t add Aouar you have to wonder where the creativity is going to come from the midfield. I know Liverpool did well with playing 3 non creative midfielders so maybe Ceballos and Swiss Charlie Adam alongside Partey will be enough. Willian in an AM role might work as well but it is really a shame about Aouar. Being spoiled here I guess should be happy with this signing even if I was hoping we wouldn’t see more of Swiss Charlie Adam.

Untied

Arsenal aren't getting nearly enough criticism for their transfer spend whilst they are making redundancies. Gross club.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Thing about Aouar is he's a massive talent who looks ready to step up to another level. He's far from being the finished product so would have taken some time to see the best of him. With Partey it gives us someone who is at the top of his game and walks right into our midfield and improves us. Creativity will improve imo when we go back to 4-3-3 and could use Saka/Willian in the middle. While not as good as having Aouar but we kind of have an internal solution. We have nobody like Partey in the squad.

A shame we couldn't do the deal for Aouar as well, reliable sources say the problem were his agent (family member) wanting a huge agent fee and we walked away.
Good points. I particularly think the internal solutions issue is important. Without Partey, it was just going to be Xhaka, Ceballos, and Elneny. We have some good young academy players in that position but nobody that could help this year. As you say, we can use Saka or Willian in the middle. I also hope to see Smith-Rowe given some chances. And when he returns Martinelli could even play in the middle more as a second striker if we used that kind of system in some matches. So I think getting Partey instead of Aouar will provide more chances to young players that we really want to see continue to develop.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Let's see if he matches the hype. Atletico midfielders tend to get overhyped a fair bit although they tend to be good footballers. Koke was the heir to Xavi and Iniesta at one point.

passing-wind

Will be a good player always impressed by his ability to read the play and he looks unassuming physically but he's strong and has good balance. I reckon he's not far off Ndidi defensively (not as good a tackler) and not as fluid in his passing but he's easily a standout DM.

Murray3007

excellent signing, although the wages :eek::eek::eek: just wonder whos place he will be taking?

Giggsforever

Avrage player, rash into tackles, no vision and just over 80 pst passing accuracy with a lot of sideways and backward passing.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal aren't getting nearly enough criticism for their transfer spend whilst they are making redundancies. Gross club.
If you think the two things are related, then you're a fool.

The combined wages of everyone made redundant probably comes to £2m a year. If we wanted to keep them on, then we can. The redundancies will be a long term plan to cut staff numbers. Some may be covid related, as having international scouts might not be practical over the next few years etc.

Do I think it's a good thing? No, I think we should have kept them as the money is insignificant and morally it's right. But, do I think the people who bring up transfers, and who say oh Ozils wage covers all these guys etc are stupid, yep because that has nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.