Thomas Partey | Arsenal Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
We've only spent 20m more than you this window and with you already having the better team going into the season.
If Arteta gets top four with this current team, it will be nothing short of a miracle.

There are few teams with more quality than us. We still struggle to create chances and basically rely on Saka for our creative spark. Partey and Aouar this summer would catapulted us to compete for third, but we just don't have the funds.
I'm sure villa has spent more than you, so top four us a must for them? :lol:
Welcome my brother, it's JuanMatasBeard from ArsenalMania. Hope you stick around for the many meltdowns this forum will have over the next few weeks.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I think he's a good player, I'll be interested to see how he does over here. I've never been bowled over and completely convinced by him like some on here are.

My gut tells me Atletico was the perfect setup for him to shine, so we'll see.
He didn't really shine for Atletico. Has very underwhelming stats. Would be more interested to see if he shines when out of that setup.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Wasn't Rodri meant to be the ducks nuts of Defensive midfielders when he signed with City? He was better than this bloke.
Don't remember who said this on twitter but i'll quote them: "Thomas is actually the player City thought Rodri was"

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
He didn't really shine for Atletico. Has very underwhelming stats. Would be more interested to see if he shines when out of that setup.
But he did shine for Atletico..

You got on any Atletico fan forum and they all say he was their 2nd best player recently after Oblak and they're gutted to lose him.

Oxeki

Supports
Arsenal
Welcome my brother, it's JuanMatasBeard from ArsenalMania. Hope you stick around for the many meltdowns this forum will have over the next few weeks.
:lol:
Seen lots of your posts on here. Never in a million years thought you would be the same Juanmatasbeard on AM.
It definitely is going to be a bumpy ride.
I wouldn't miss it for anything:)

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

Hopefully Arteta let's him lose and doesn't just ask him to sit. Will be a good player for them with the right parter next to him.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Wasn't Rodri meant to be the ducks nuts of Defensive midfielders when he signed with City? He was better than this bloke.
Is that a joke? Whenever Thomas Partey does not play in that team their play is pedestrian; Leipzig ran them off the pitch because he was out injured. Rodri never had that kind of effect or level.

Gooner87

Supports
Arsenal
It definitely helps us move away from the 3 at the back system we've employed since the restart and pushes us up a little higher up the pitch. We've been extremely one dimensional since then with most of the attacks going down the left flank. We're one of the worst teams in terms of chance creation this year and hopefully this guy helps us win the ball higher up the pitch. We sure as hell weren't going to do that with Xhaka and Ceballos as a double pivot.

Murray3007

Look at their center midfielders... the question is just who partners him.
for me his best position is the DMC role which arsenal don't currently play, they play 2 CM's so will be interesting to see if its a change in tactics for Arteta, don't see arsenal getting the best out of him while playing a back 3

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
for me his best position is the DMC role which arsenal don't currently play, they play 2 CM's so will be interesting to see if its a change in tactics for Arteta, don't see arsenal getting the best out of him while playing a back 3
Nah he's definitely a box to box player, not specifically a ball winner or holding mid. Someone who is all over the pitch, excellent dribbling but also good passing and defensive ability. Not particularly creative but still works. No reason he can't work in a 2, its ideal set up for him.

Murray3007

Nah he's definitely a box to box player, not specifically a ball winner or holding mid. Someone who is all over the pitch, excellent dribbling but also good passing and defensive ability. Not particularly creative but still works. No reason he can't work in a 2, its ideal set up for him.
just don't see him like that to be honest, breaks the play up and does excellent taking the ball from defenders but then he gives it better players, only problem is don't see arsenal having the better players like Saul and Koke he had at Madrid,

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The reason to buy him is to switch back to 433.

bosnian_red

just don't see him like that to be honest, breaks the play up and does excellent taking the ball from defenders but then he gives it better players, only problem is don't see arsenal having the better players like Saul and Koke he had at Madrid,
https://statsbomb.com/2019/11/thomas-is-the-life-of-the-atletico-madrid-partey/

This will disagree with you strongly... but then you also have another guy from statsbomb who doesn't really rate him, but either way saying definitely not a defensive mid. He's an all rounder. Some say pretty average but worked in a good system, others think he'll shine in the premier league. Personally, I think he'll be a huge success.

Murray3007

https://statsbomb.com/2019/11/thomas-is-the-life-of-the-atletico-madrid-partey/

This will disagree with you strongly... but then you also have another guy from statsbomb who doesn't really rate him, but either way saying definitely not a defensive mid. He's an all rounder. Some say pretty average but worked in a good system, others think he'll shine in the premier league. Personally, I think he'll be a huge success.
a don't need stats to tell you what I think of a player, love watching atletico play, there discipline and work rate is a joy to watch now a days, but his best position is sitting in front of the defenders, yes he is good at dribbling but its on short distances not 40 yard dribbles, he wont make the team tick that's why arsenal still need more the boy from lyon would have been ideal, but playing him as a box to box just wont get the best out of him for me.

bosnian_red

a don't need stats to tell you what I think of a player, love watching atletico play, there discipline and work rate is a joy to watch now a days, but his best position is sitting in front of the defenders, yes he is good at dribbling but its on short distances not 40 yard dribbles, he wont make the team tick that's why arsenal still need more the boy from lyon would have been ideal, but playing him as a box to box just wont get the best out of him for me.
If you're central midfielder is going on 40 yard dribbles, he's in the wrong position. That article is just backing up my point that Partey is fine with progressing up the pitch with vertical passing while being good at organizing a midfield. If you're doing a midfield 2, that's what you need.

You think Aouar was better suited? Arsenals problem, year after year, was a joke of a midfield structure, soft backbone and no grit in midfield. Partey gives them an all in one package, that while he isn't a top defensive mid, he's a very good all round midfielder. Aouar's numbers are pretty much entirely as an advanced playmaker. A #10 if you will. If they're using a 343, he has no space in there, while Partey does. If they're doing a 4231, then Partey goes right into the double pivot, but not really as a lone defensive mid. They still have Ceballos who is good at progressing the ball up the pitch with creative passing, and in terms of player profile he's very similar to Aouar.

Anyway, we'll see. Think he'll make a massive difference to them and is the sort of player they've been crying out for for years.

Zlatattack

I’d have been much more jealous if they had gotten Aouar. They aren’t a very creative team so I don’t think Partey is going transform them or anything.
It's hilarious they refuse to play Ozil.

Davicho

He is better than Rodri. Great signing for Arsenal.

Marshal

He will be a poor man's Alex Song. Glad we didn't take the punt.

White
I think you will regret these words. Thomas is an amazing player that was underused by Simeone. I think it's exactly what Arsenal needed and will boost them. But said that, in my opinion they will still fight for the 4th place, nothing more.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
I think you will regret these words. Thomas is an amazing player that was underused by Simeone. I think it's exactly what Arsenal needed and will boost them. But said that, in my opinion they will still fight for the 4th place, nothing more.
Given where we are now, I‘d happily fight for 4th place...what about you?

Murray3007

If you're central midfielder is going on 40 yard dribbles, he's in the wrong position. That article is just backing up my point that Partey is fine with progressing up the pitch with vertical passing while being good at organizing a midfield. If you're doing a midfield 2, that's what you need.

You think Aouar was better suited? Arsenals problem, year after year, was a joke of a midfield structure, soft backbone and no grit in midfield. Partey gives them an all in one package, that while he isn't a top defensive mid, he's a very good all round midfielder. Aouar's numbers are pretty much entirely as an advanced playmaker. A #10 if you will. If they're using a 343, he has no space in there, while Partey does. If they're doing a 4231, then Partey goes right into the double pivot, but not really as a lone defensive mid. They still have Ceballos who is good at progressing the ball up the pitch with creative passing, and in terms of player profile he's very similar to Aouar.

Anyway, we'll see. Think he'll make a massive difference to them and is the sort of player they've been crying out for for years.
not really, lots of midfielders should be able to dribble distances with the ball, never said Aouar was better suited but he will need someone like him in the midfield with him, never seen Aouar play as a 10 yet to be honest, and lets be honest hes miles ahead of Ceballos who if your lucky has had a handful of good games at arsenal,

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/thomas-partey-arsenal-chelsea-juventus-22831856
Thomas Partey's father claims star waited for "bigger team" amid Chelsea interest
:)
Of course he did, no CL means you're always second choice in a player's mind.
“My advice to him was irrespective of the big move, he has to keep training seriously and not lose focus," Jacob added. "Not chase ladies so he doesn’t flop! He was very receptive of that."
Thomas about to throw some "private parteys" :smirk:

DeepSpace

Supports
ATL
Good signing for Arsenal. Adds steel and dynamism in their midfield which makes them even harder to beat.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Signed him on ultimate team and lost 7 in a row, hopefully the same happens to Arsenal!

John_Jensen

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/thomas-partey-arsenal-chelsea-juventus-22831856
Thomas Partey's father claims star waited for "bigger team" amid Chelsea interest
:)
Just the rags getting it wrong again, a bigger club than Atletico was what he meant. Prompted this response from Spanish journalist José Damián González:

“What looks bad is the way he left in the end, and the clumsy thing his father, Jacob Partey, said, that he went to improve himself in a big team. Last year, Arsenal finished eighth, didn’t qualify for the Champions League. They’re in the Europa League group stages.

“Thomas left for the money. Everyone, in all professions, wants to earn as much as possible, but he went for the money. I’ll say it now and I’ll stick by it: Atlético are a better team than Arsenal.”

Which is hard to argue with, tbh.

Pagh Wraith

Just the rags getting it wrong again, a bigger club than Atletico was what he meant. Prompted this response from Spanish journalist José Damián González:

“What looks bad is the way he left in the end, and the clumsy thing his father, Jacob Partey, said, that he went to improve himself in a big team. Last year, Arsenal finished eighth, didn’t qualify for the Champions League. They’re in the Europa League group stages.

“Thomas left for the money. Everyone, in all professions, wants to earn as much as possible, but he went for the money. I’ll say it now and I’ll stick by it: Atlético are a better team than Arsenal.”

Which is hard to argue with, tbh.
Seems obvious that the transfer was driven by money. Nothing wrong with that from his perspective. I just don't understand the deal from Arsenal's side. It's insanely expensive and therefore risky for them relative to what they are getting. Which is a good, potentially more than that, but not elite player who's the wrong age for such a deal and doesn't solve the issues that they have. Which is that they are not creating anything or taking shots. They need a creative midfielder more than anything. Also don't understand giving Willian a three-year contract. I'd be shocked if they'll be anywhere near the top 4 at the end of the season.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Seems obvious that the transfer was driven by money. Nothing wrong with that from his perspective. I just don't understand the deal from Arsenal's side. It's insanely expensive and therefore risky for them relative to what they are getting. Which is a good, potentially more than that, but not elite player who's the wrong age for such a deal and doesn't solve the issues that they have. Which is that they are not creating anything or taking shots. They need a creative midfielder more than anything. Also don't understand giving Willian a three-year contract. I'd be shocked if they'll be anywhere near the top 4 at the end of the season.
Partey is a very good player and he will definitely improve them. Since Vieira left they have never had a proper, established box to box player apart from Song. They had a weak spine and Partey is therefore a key signing for them. Arsenal's signings are obviously meant to get them back to the CL asap and imo they now look a good bet for top 4.

Pagh Wraith

I disagree strongly with that. He will improve them to a degree but not where they need it most and now have funds tied up because of him that can't be used to adress these issues. Gabriel seems to be a very good signing by all accounts but other than that it's been a disappointing window for Arsenal I think. The way they've started the season suggests they'll be a long way off top four again and Partey won't help with that as he isn't the type of dynamic midfielder they need.

Chief123

I disagree strongly with that. He will improve them to a degree but not where they need it most and now have funds tied up because of him that can't be used to adress these issues. Gabriel seems to be a very good signing by all accounts but other than that it's been a disappointing window for Arsenal I think. The way they've started the season suggests they'll be a long way off top four again and Partey won't help with that as he isn't the type of dynamic midfielder they need.
Which part of their start would suggest they will be a long way off top four? If anything, based on their start I would say they would certainly be close to challenging top 4 if not actually make top 4. They’ve had 3 out 4 wins so far. Their only defeat coming away to Liverpool. They look a lot more organised and coached this year.

With the apparent turmoil in our club right now, id suggest they are more likely to get top 4 than us right now.

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal have started strongly and their transfer window has been impressive. Partey, Gabriel but also Auba and Saka signed new deals + retained Ceballos.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Oh dear. Unbelievable.

Pagh Wraith

If we include players who haven't left the club in the evaluation of the transfer window, then it does look better, fair enough. Saka looks a huge talent and keeping Auba and Ceballos is good as well.

Where this notion comes from that they are a good bet for top four though, I have no idea. They are absolutely miles off that. I posted some stats in the general Arsenal thread a few days ago but here is another graph that illustrates where they are in 2020. This is continuing this season and Partey is not the player to fix it. I'd be very surprised if they got more than 60 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.