Thomas Partey | SIGNED for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood Mage

If we had someone like him in midfield against Spurs we wouldn't have conceded 6. That he's so affordable makes this news even more sickening.

hubbuh

He is a slow and fairly limited player. There is a reason why no other elite club in europe activated his very public release clause.
He looked the business against Liverpool. It's an unusual time in which most big clubs are being slightly cautious with their finances.

Chief123

Absolutely brilliant signing. Would have loved him at Utd. He’ll make a huge difference for them. Unfortunately, we probably have too many numbers in midfield to make this one possible. £45m is a great deal.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yes has to be a good signing for them, will really strengthen them and for a reasonable fee.

cyberman

Just not good enough on the ball imo. Good signing for Arsenal though but invention through the middle is still an issue for them

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Our first choice Matic comes to mind...
couldn’t think of anyone slower but at the same time quicker to burn out. His new 3 year deal was a joke. It was almost like he magically turned it on for a few weeks just before the signing. He’ll be deadwood by the end of the season most likely. Another stopgap measure to tide us over. This season while he still has something to offer the first team he should have been helping a younger signing grow into the position.

DarkXaero

We already have Matic, McT, and Fred for this position. Not saying he wouldn’t have improved us but I can hardly blame Ole for prioritising positions where we’re really short.
Matic is past his prime and not mobile enough, McTominay can't play that role (yet) and isn't good enough to begin with, and Fred can do a job there but he is undersized and is hardly given an opportunity there, in addition to that not being his natural role. Partey is an engine who is very comfortable in the DM role, and he is comfortable on the ball. He would have provided us something that we severely lack.

El Zoido

Matic is past his prime and not mobile enough, McTominay can't play that role (yet) and isn't good enough to begin with, and Fred can do a job there but he is undersized and is hardly given an opportunity there, in addition to that not being his natural role. Partey is an athletic engine who is very comfortable in the DM role, and he is comfortable on the ball. He would have provided us something that we severely lack.
I don’t disagree with you but it’s just not the most vital position to address.

Rolaholic

He is a slow and fairly limited player. There is a reason why no other elite club in europe activated his very public release clause.
You must've never watched him much if that's what you think when he's been their principle midfield engine that links/transitions their stout defense to attack and has arguably been Simeone's most influential player since he became a full time starter 3 seasons ago. His long passing ability and accuracy makes him more than capable of helping in attack on top of the usual holding mid duties which playing at Atletico, he never neglects nor lacks discipline in.

He's also had some of his best performances against the likes of Liverpool, Juventus, Barcelona and Madrid.

The reason there wasn't movement with him is that Atletico were never interested in negotiating with teams given that they wanted to keep him and he never pushed for an exit. There were even rumors he was going to extend his contract soon before Arsenal decided to pay his full release clause. Not to mention most top clubs already have quality to WC DM's in their sides.

I would've much preferred United go for him to replace Matic long term than VDB so I'm a bit envious he's apparently ending up in London. That Arsenal midfield and defence will be much stronger with his arrival. They've got a proper tidy player on their hands coming unfortunately

Stretender

I don’t disagree with you but it’s just not the most vital position to address.
Rubbish statement. We got overrun yesterday because we dont have a Mobile Defensive midfielder to screen the shambles that is our defence.

For 45 million that's a cheap deal.

You can't play a high pressing game that our novice manager thinks he can with three immobile players like Pogba, Matic and Maguire. It makes no sense because these tankers take ages to get back in their original position once we lose posession.

izec

I am also a fan. Not sure how much Atletico's system has to do with it and how he will look at Arsenal, but he was impressive at Atletico

Godfather

We already have Matic, McT, and Fred for this position. Not saying he wouldn’t have improved us but I can hardly blame Ole for prioritising positions where we’re really short.
We also had Lingard, Mata and Pereira for VbB's position, so that argument is a bit flawed.

Arse managed to address one of their major weaknesses here. We haven't

El Zoido

Rubbish statement. We got overrun yesterday because we dont have a Mobile Defensive midfielder to screen the shambles that is our defence.

For 45 million that's a cheap deal.
And what happens to the players that already play in that position? We can only have so many squad members and can only pay so much in salary.

Stretender

And what happens to the players that already play in that position? We can only have so many squad members and can only pay so much in salary.
Matic should be playing 10 games a season. McTominnay will never be a top player, he hasn't got the skill set needed to play that role. The sooner he gets sold the better

Partey with Fred for that position with Matic as backup.

pascell

Arsenal seem to have got their sh*t together, they'll finish above us this season and probably finish in the top 4 too.

Arteta has them well drilled and they're strengthening their first team with Partey. He was in my dream 4 signings this summer, he'll absolutely boss it in the PL, he ran the midfield for Atleti last season vs Liverpool, even when being pressed by 2/3 players.

lsd

The Oracle
Why don't we just buy every player in the world ? Would that then be enough for some of you ?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I haven't watched him much to judge. but an Arsenal mate of mine who also follows Atletico closely says this is one of the best transfers they would have done in years, in terms of quality, requirement in his position etc. Really thinks he will be a huge addition

Tony247

Partey going to Arsenal is pouring cold water over my transfer day excitement.

Siorac

It is the last position we should be looking at . Any United fan complaining we were not in for him is totally spoilt
I'm not exactly sold on Partey but a Matic upgrade is desperately needed soon, if we want to keep playing with two of Pogba, Fernandes, and van de Beek. Matic alone is nowhere near mobile or energetic enough to cover the defence; Fred doesn't have the composure or the passing range; McTominay is simply not a very good footballer.

If we pair Matic with Fred and put one of the attacking midfielders in front of them, then fine. But that's not what we're doing most of the time.

Okey

All window I kept wondering why we weren't looking at him. I suppose our glut of players in his position was a reason but ours aren't good enough, or in Matic's case, hasn't got the legs anymore. I suppose we'll see for ourselves now, but yeah I fear we will regret missing out here.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
This feels like Fabinho all over again.

A DM going for a reasonable fee and one club gets a free run at it.

PoTMS

I would genuinely swap Partey for Pogba. Partey-VDB-Fernandes would be great.

Rolaholic

I haven't watched him much to judge. but an Arsenal mate of mine who also follows Atletico closely says this is one of the best transfers they would have done in years, in terms of quality, requirement in his position etc. Really thinks he will be a huge addition
Having watched more La Liga footy regularly these last few years than I ever did, the excitement is warranted I'm afraid and as much as I despise Gooners on social media, this is a coup signing for Arteta tbvh.

The English speaking public will familiarize themselves with him quite quickly when he helps provide a balance in that Arsenal midfield that they haven't had in years.

Would not be shocked one bit if they finished ahead of us at the end of the season. That wouldn't bother me as much if the likes of Everton and Spurs weren't also looking stronger than us at the same time as they presently do

Pav1878

Hoping he flops hard but don't think he will.

Really wanna bear arsenal this year

Renegade

We bought VDB when we needed a DM. That's why people are upset.
Who’s cover for Bruno? How are people still questioning how necessary VDB’s signing was? Have people forgotten Andreas/Lingard stinking the place out for 6months last year ?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Who’s cover for Bruno? How are people still questioning how necessary VDB’s signing was? Have people forgotten Andreas/Lingard stinking the place out for 6months last year ?
It's not about questioning. We have gaping hole at DM and we went and spend on backup. We were not even interested

DarkXaero

But what about the part where none of those options are exactly good options there, and that Partey is a much better option at DM than them?

Okey

A properly ambitious club moves on Fred and/or Matic (instead of a new contract) when a player of Partey's quality is available at such a low price. You have to keep improving. Imagine Dortmund asking what would happen to Alcacer (who was doing quite well) when they had a chance at Haaland!

Wheato

Arsenal have activated his buy out clause. Another player that could walk straight into our team and boss the midfield for years and years.

Status
Not open for further replies.