Thomas Partey | SIGNED for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

Yes, thats true. Been linked to Partey, Roca a dutch guy called Koopmenus or something. Parteys the best of the

And you'll write off McTominay, Matic and Fred?
Not McTominay, but I would write Fred off with both hands, while Matic can be a good back up.

Fosu-Mens

Ehmmm, if we get him, am not sure he will be a back up at all. He will be the first name on the team sheet in that back 6.
I know that. Just trying to explain why relying on Fred and McT can cause some issues due to risk and injuries. Top 3-5 in the world relative to role and position in my opinion.

E-mal

Fred is better than McTominay
Yes he is but there are things that are important to team cohesion and squard spirit and I feel having Scott is part of it. He is home grown and will not complain been a squard player. Also feel Fred will fetch more money.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yes he is but there are things that are important to team cohesion and squard spirit and I feel having Scott is part of it. He is home grown and will not complain been a squard player. Also feel Fred will fetch more money.
Fred hasnt been complaining since hes been here

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I wouldn’t say write off at all. They’re squad players until proven they can displace one of the starters & imo, neither of their best positions are DM - so we’ll essentially be upgrading Matic who are on his last legs - as great as he’s been recently.

Cassidy

They are on pair, but McTominay can still get better while I like more what he brings compared to Fred. Homegrown, younger and a better goal threat compared to Fred.
In my opinion they are not on par. Pre lockdown Fred was brilliant playing at a level McTominay hasnt reached. He is only out of the team now due to Pogba being fit.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yes, thats true. Been linked to Partey, Roca a dutch guy called Koopmenus or something. Parteys the best of the

I mean, it's not out of the realms of possibility one of Fred or McTominay is sold in the next few years anyway.

I think any of us would drop those 3 for Partey, aiming to be a top club sometimes requires making tough choices and being ruthless.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hopefully Garner/Levitt can take his place in due course
Garner has always been the bigger talent, but McTominay is older so got his chance first. Ultimately, if Garner develops as hoped, I expect him to force Scott out. Similar case with Laird and Williams. Bit of luck put Williams in the frame before Laird, but Laird is far better for me, and all things being equal - over a period of time, will come out on top.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
But McTominay came from the academy, I think is the answer.
Don’t start that nonsense again. Next step will be brexit United and all that shite again.

where a player comes from internal or external should not be a factor in judging their form and usefulness other than to say a homegrown player might understand rivalry more

Cassidy

Don’t start that nonsense again. Next step will be brexit United and all that shite again.

where a player comes from internal or external should not be a factor in judging their form and usefulness other than to say a homegrown player might understand rivalry more
Saying he is better or on par with Fred? Thats allowed because hes internal?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Exactly.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Don't think you could compare Fred with Scott.. different type of players. They bring different things and United should keep them both. With or without new DM.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Someone’s opinion about who is better or worse shouldn’t need to be backed up with “because he’s homegrown”. It makes no difference.
I happen to believe that he’s got a higher ceiling than Fred but not because he’s homegrown- more because if you look at his trajectory and his undoubted drive (just look at his preseason and lockdown videos), the lad has made huge improvements. Before we got Bruno band Pogba was injured he was also our only midfielder offering goal threat - see his last minutes winner against City. Personally I think you need players like him to supplement the better footballers in title winning squads

Cassidy

Someone’s opinion about who is better or worse shouldn’t need to be backed up with “because he’s homegrown”. It makes no difference.
I happen to believe that he’s got a higher ceiling than Fred but not because he’s homegrown- more because if you look at his trajectory and his undoubted drive (just look at his preseason and lockdown videos), the lad has made huge improvements. Before we got Bruno band Pogba was injured he was also our only midfielder offering goal threat - see his last minutes winner against City. Personally I think you need players like him to supplement the better footballers in title winning squads
Thats fair

arnie_ni

I think when the converstion was about a potential matic replacement, mctominay would have a better chance at that than fred but i dont think either will make it.

They play well together and complement each other but i dont think either can sit in and allow pog and bruno the freedom a matic, partey, carrick or someone could

Cassidy

I think when the converstion was about a potential matic replacement, mctominay would have a better chance at that than fred but i dont think either will make it.

They play well together and complement each other but i dont think either can sit in and allow pog and bruno the freedom a matic, partey, carrick or someone could
Doubt that but its a matter of opinion
I agree thought that neither of them would be suitable and Fred should more be backup for Pogba and a more creative player backup for Bruno

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Koopmeiners is the name. Plays for AZ. Actually an interesting player. Can also play CB. Definitely not United quality yet though. Don't think he ever will be either. Would be a good fit for other PL teams I think.

arnie_ni

Doubt that but its a matter of opinion
I agree thought that neither of them would be suitable and Fred should more be backup for Pogba and a more creative player backup for Bruno
I agree. Fred is a more creative player and would spell pogba at the moment.

So what is mctominays role in your eyes if it isnt replacing matic when he needs rested? He's the only player we have to do that at the minute

Cassidy

I agree. Fred is a more creative player and would spell pogba at the moment.

So what is mctominays role in your eyes if it isnt replacing matic when he needs rested? He's the only player we have to do that at the minute
McTominay for me is an 8 not a 6. And I prefer Fred in the 6 role rather than McTominay. I dont think either are good enough in the role though

Mark Pawelek

At any random time at the cafe there'll always be some off-topic thread more off-topic than the rest. This is it. Shows we aren't getting Partey.

Cassidy

At any random time at the cafe there'll always be some off-topic thread more off-topic than the rest. This is it. Shows we aren't getting Partey.
Doesnt look like we are interested which is a shame. Mistake letting Arsenal get him and he wont cost a lot of money

Mark Pawelek

Doesnt look like we are interested which is a shame. Mistake letting Arsenal get him and he wont cost a lot of money
£45m we don't spend on Partey goes towards money we might spend on Sancho. Shame we can't buy every great player in the world. Partey is a good player, not a great one. A non-essential. There are higher priorities: RW, CB, LB, ...

arnie_ni

£45m we don't spend on Partey goes towards money we might spend on Sancho. Shame we can't buy every great player in the world. Partey is a good player, not a great one. A non-essential. There are higher priorities: RW, CB, LB, ...
Why is lb more important than dm?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Fred is better than McTominay
I think Fred's better on the ball but McTominay is the bigger goal threat. I'd say they're on a par with one another on the defensive side of the game. Basically there's very little between them imo

seegoblu

Totally agree, save that homegrown talent is still an EPL requirement, so in determining squad construction a homegrown talent might receive the benefit of the doubt over someone who doesn’t qualify. Given the club’s ever present focus on promoting youth to the first team, however, it’s unlikely to ever really be a true consideration.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Cassidy

We dont agree. For me RW yes and after that DM as we cant rely on Matic playing multiple games a week. Then CB and then AM backup (Pereira and Lingard not good enough) and then LB (Shaw is ok and we can play Williams as backup)

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He has a really high level in him and I think he is very similar to Matic, which leads me to believe we should try to buy him this summer.

Kostov

In my opinion they are not on par. Pre lockdown Fred was brilliant playing at a level McTominay hasnt reached. He is only out of the team now due to Pogba being fit.
Brilliant is a overratting his performances imo. Bruno has been brilliant, Fred was good at times excellent but pre injury McT was holding that midfield together during his best spell this season. Fred was at this better level for longer this season, but McT peak performances were better than what Fred has shown imo.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Brilliant is a overratting his performances imo. Bruno has been brilliant, Fred was good at times excellent but pre injury McT was holding that midfield together during his best spell this season. Fred was at this better level for longer this season, but McT peak performances were better than what Fred has shown imo.
You what? :eek:

Mark Pawelek

We dont agree. For me RW yes and after that DM as we cant rely on Matic playing multiple games a week. Then CB and then AM backup (Pereira and Lingard not good enough) and then LB (Shaw is ok and we can play Williams as backup)
So we need to get Partey (or other DCM) plus Sancho this summer. With Bruno, that brings United's spending to £200m in one year. At a time when every club suffered dreadful loses due to the lockdown, and losses will really be felt when we see the next accounting book. Impossible.

Number32

Hopefully Garner/Levitt can take his place in due course
I hope Garner will learn from Bruno to be a creative midfielder though.

I mean, he can score and has a great awareness in the final third. What a waste of talent if he is still playing as CDM, he wasn't good enough defensively either. I know he's still young but for me, CAM is his future.

So we need to get Partey (or other DCM) plus Sancho this summer. With Bruno, that brings United's spending to £200m in one year. At a time when every club suffered dreadful loses due to the lockdown, and losses will really be felt when we see the next accounting book. Impossible.
I also don't think we have the £200m transfer budget. The only way to get Partey or another DM is swaping players.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Lets see how much Chelsea spend and they see if its impossible. If we want to challenge next season like the club said then we have to spend some money. We also should shift some players too. Getting Sanchez Lingard Smalling and Mata off the books will save alot in wages.

Im not saying we will but saying its impossible isnt correct.

Cassidy

I hope Garner will learn from Bruno to be a creative midfielder though.

I mean, he can score and has a great awareness in the final third. What a waste of talent if he is still playing as CDM, he wasn't good enough defensively either. I know he's still young but for me, CAM is his future.
I wasnt speaking specifically about CDM and McTominay isnt one either

Mark Pawelek

Lets see how much Chelsea spend and they see if its impossible. If we want to challenge next season like the club said then we have to spend some money. We also should shift some players too. Getting Sanchez Lingard Smalling and Mata off the books will save alot in wages.
Chelsea already had a big transfer pot from the Hazard sale. They're coming off a long transfer ban. They also have a massive loan army. No, let's not compare United to Chelsea; especially not this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.