Not open for further replies.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

---- Pogba ----
- Partey - Rice - (1)

------ Pogba ------
- Partey - Rabiot - (2)

----- Pogba ------
- Partey - Ndidi - (3)

This is hard to choose from, but I'm going with (3)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
---- Pogba ----
- Partey - Rice - (1)

------ Pogba ------
- Partey - Rabiot - (2)

----- Pogba ------
- Partey - Ndidi - (3)

(1)'s creativity would fecking suck. (3) isn't much better.

passing-wind

Partey is entirely a defensive midfielder capable of probably filling a box to box role. He would cover far more ground than Matic which for me is a plus , along with being very physically imposing. He's neither a natural number 6 or 8 so it's inaccurate comparing him with Saul / Koke.

The difference between Rodri is that he has far superior technical impetus on the ball / better passing range. He's certainly not the worst midfielder in A Madrid, they all have different roles which is why their midfield is realtively strong because it's dynamic and balanced.

I'd take him or Rice, use Mctomminay to replace Herrera (who was ridiculously overrated by fans) and purchase a no 8 with good distribution (Neves / Tielemans / Ndombele) to partner Pogba.

Le Red

His ball skills are a bit uncultured but he is a physical beast. He would definitely suit a high energy, high pressing style of football, especially with a couple of midfield partners with silkier skills and playmaking ability next to him.
A bit uncultured is very kind. He's dreadful.

passing-wind

---- Pogba ----
- Partey - Rice - (1)

------ Pogba ------
- Partey - Rabiot - (2)

----- Pogba ------
- Partey - Ndidi - (3)

That's a pretty bad midfield, no balance and lacks tactical element, if the opposition marks Pogba out the game where does the creativity stem from midfield ? Number 1 / 3 are exactly the same as Herrera and Matic vs PSG at home (woeful performance), it's just players with different surnames but the exact same application and approach. Ndidi does have a decent eye for a pass however he lacks the execution.

SATA

Is he Sulley Muntari version 2? If so, i don't think we need him. We need a midfielder who can share the creativity load with Pogba, and goals

Rocknrolla69er

That would be an...interesting lineup choice, for two reasons. First, because Gomes is still so young it would be a fairly decisive career move to stick him as a holding mid when he has only really played AM so far. Second, while I can see what you are envisioning, something similar to the role Scholes played as he got older, you are skipping several steps in your analysis. First, Scholes started as a SS and slowly moved further back the pitch as he got older and his game developed. Gomes has good ball skills, vision, and passing ability, but he does not have the tools in his locker right now to step in and play the old Scholes role. Sticking him at the holding mid role would effectively nullify many of the best skills he possesses at this current time. We would be better off allowing his career to take a more natural trajectory and, if his passing game develops range and he is amenable to dropping deeper, then we may consider such a move. But to stick an unproven youngster at such a complex and important position in a team that is in the midst of a rebuild...it would be unwise.
Cheers, good reply, what made me post pitting Gomes at the base of midfield, was i noticed when he came on as sub, he naturally seemed to gravitate to pick the ball up from the central defence and did it very Scholes like and then used the ball very well. I see your point though about maybe starting further up the pitch.

The Nani

Partey is entirely a defensive midfielder capable of probably filling a box to box role. He would cover far more ground than Matic which for me is a plus , along with being very physically imposing. He's neither a natural number 6 or 8 so it's inaccurate comparing him with Saul / Koke.

The difference between Rodri is that he has far superior technical impetus on the ball / better passing range. He's certainly not the worst midfielder in A Madrid, they all have different roles which is why their midfield is realtively strong because it's dynamic and balanced.

I'd take him or Rice, use Mctomminay to replace Herrera (who was ridiculously overrated by fans) and purchase a no 8 with good distribution (Neves / Tielemans / Ndombele) to partner Pogba.
You've basically just said he isn’t particularly good at anything. I wholeheartedly agree.

Rocknrolla69er

Don't love Gomes' defensive awareness and his best quality seems to be striding forward and linking play, not really hitting longer passes and being error free.

I do like the idea of taking an 8 and making him a 6 like City did with Fernandinho, since it's easier to find 8s with the technical quality we should be looking for in a 6, as a big team that should dominate possession in most games. But maybe that player isn't in the Premiership at the moment.

He's too old for it to make sense for us, but I sort of think Aaron Mooy might be a Prem midfielder better suited to that role, might be worth exploring for a team like Leicester or Southampton. An interesting one for us might be Max Meyer, who failed at Palace, but did well at Schalke in that role. Presumably he's on high wages so him and Palace might be quite eager for a move.
Cheers, do you think we’l see Gomes more this season and if so which role?

NoPace

Cheers, do you think we’l see Gomes more this season and if so which role?
Oh crap I thought you meant Andre Gomes at Everton, since he's available. I've only seen him play a full game like 10 times or so by the way, and he looked better for Everton than he did for Barca by a fair bit, so I could be being a bit harsh, though he's already going to be 26 by the start of next season and I think the Everton fans pretty universally think Gueye is a better CM.

But you meant our Gomes, right? No idea if he could be converted to a Pirlo-esque role or not.

passing-wind

You've basically just said he isn’t particularly good at anything. I wholeheartedly agree.
Then you must be visually impaired to not have seen the first sentances "partey is entirely a defensive midfielder".

People with next to no knowledge of the sport might not acknowledge the importance of players who can defend, but there's a stupid concensus on this site that he's not good in comparison to Saul / Koke. It's almost the same logical principle in saying that Kante is rubbish for France midfield because he doesn't have the technical foundation the likes of Pogba, Tolisso, Rabiot, Aouar, Ndombele have.

The midfield is an area of the football field, this area is the largest space occupied by players, therefore players need distinctive roles to differentiate their influence in the position. These roles are attributed to numbers:

4's defensive midfielders who shield the defence your Kantes, Matics, Rice, Busquets etc.

6's / 8s occupy higher midfield positions therefore contributing more to build up, Saul, Ndombele, Modric, Kroos, KDB etc.

If you put Pogba (who is an advanced no 8 / 10) in a number 4 position he would be sh1t. It's not that he doesn't have the talent but Paul tactically doesn't measure up to a defensive mid. So my question is why do people do the same with Thomas and generalise the midfielder role into one big bubble ?

Thomas Partey is typically a no 4, we play a three man midfield system with no double pivots, so his role would be to protect the defence. He won't excel at dribbling, playing hollywood balls, shooting 30 yards out because that is not the function of someone shielding the defence.

If you cannot acknowledge Parteys strengths then you can't appreciate any players who occupy similar roles in this position: Kante, Casemiro, Keane, De Rossi, without any consideration to defensive capabilities I guess they are useless to :houllier:

Last edited:

Le Red

How often do you watch him?
This season not so much but before that I watched Atleti every other week. His ball control is one of the worst I have seen at this level. I don't remember him making particularly good passes or intelligent link-ups. I pass.

Gordon S

This season not so much but before that I watched Atleti every other week. His ball control is one of the worst I have seen at this level. I don't remember him making particularly good passes or intelligent link-ups. I pass.
Sounds weird, i have seen him a few times this season and i think he has been unspectacular but solid in the middle. A reliable versatile workhorse in the Herrera mould.

The Nani

Then you must be visually impaired to not have seen the first sentances "partey is entirely a defensive midfielder".

People with next to no knowledge of the sport might not acknowledge the importance of players who can defend, but there's a stupid concensus on this site that he's not good in comparison to Saul / Koke. It's almost the same logical principle in saying that Kante is rubbish for France midfield because he doesn't have the technical foundation the likes of Pogba, Tolisso, Rabiot, Aouar, Ndombele have.

The midfield is an area of the football field, this area is the largest space occupied by players, therefore players need distinctive roles to differentiate their influence in the position. These roles are attributed to numbers:

4's defensive midfielders who shield the defence your Kantes, Matics, Rice, Busquets etc.

6's / 8s occupy higher midfield positions therefore contributing more to build up, Saul, Ndombele, Modric, Kroos, KDB etc.

If you put Pogba (who is an advanced no 8 / 10) in a number 4 position he would be sh1t. It's not that he doesn't have the talent but Paul tactically doesn't measure up to a defensive mid. So my question is why do people do the same with Thomas and generalise the midfielder role into one big bubble ?

Thomas Partey is typically a no 4, we play a three man midfield system with no double pivots, so his role would be to protect the defence. He won't excel at dribbling, playing hollywood balls, shooting 30 yards out because that is not the function of someone shielding the defence.

If you cannot acknowledge Parteys strengths then you can't appreciate any players who occupy similar roles in this position: Kante, Casemiro, Keane, De Rossi, without any consideration to defensive capabilities I guess they are useless to :houllier:
I hate to break it to you, but football has progressed beyond the #4 midfield destroyer role.

Kante, Busquets and the like are all considered #6 midfielders because they have the ability to defend and contribute to attack.

The last #4 type I can recall getting consistent game at a decent club was Scott Parker for Spurs. And now Eric Dier can’t even get a game for them.

Partey is not the level of player we need and never will be. End of.

passing-wind

I hate to break it to you, but football has progressed beyond the #4 midfield destroyer role.

Kante, Busquets and the like are all considered #6 midfielders because they have the ability to defend and contribute to attack.

The last #4 type I can recall getting consistent game at a decent club was Scott Parker for Spurs. And now Eric Dier can’t even get a game for them.

Partey is not the level of player we need and never will be. End of.
:lol: That is absolute rubbish if Busquets is a no 8 than what are Rakitic and Arthur's roles respectively ? I guess they are all 8's by your definition.

Anyone / source with the most infant positional knowledge will correcrly identify a 4 as a holding midfielder / shielding the defence, I have no idea about this video game interpretation your mentioning.

The ability to "contribute to an attack" doesn't have any correspondence with a positional role it just means tactically a coach can offer a player the freedom to express themselves in possession. Pogba has played a number 8 role under Solskjaer this season, if you can't tell the difference positionally between Pogba and Busquets then that's a whole different conversation.

Partey not being good enough is your opinion that's fair enough but you cannot discredit his capabilities as a footballer prior to your beliefs that is nonsense.

The Nani

:lol: That is absolute rubbish if Busquets is a no 8 than what are Rakitic and Arthur's roles respectively ? I guess they are all 8's by your definition.

Anyone / source with the most infant positional knowledge will correcrly identify a 4 as a holding midfielder / shielding the defence, I have no idea about this video game interpretation your mentioning.

The ability to "contribute to an attack" doesn't have any correspondence with a positional role it just means tactically a coach can offer a player the freedom to express themselves in possession. Pogba has played a number 8 role under Solskjaer this season, if you can't tell the difference positionally between Pogba and Busquets then that's a whole different conversation.

Partey not being good enough is your opinion that's fair enough but you cannot discredit his capabilities as a footballer prior to your beliefs that is nonsense.
If six were eight, we’d all be Ok.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
I have no idea what some of you caftards are talking about.

Liverpool have a midfield of Hendo, Fabinho, Ox, Milner, Wijnaldum, Keita and are doing fine. Nobody in there is particularly skillful or technically superb.

Partey is perfect for the English game. Powerful driving forward, tackles hard, a thunderbolt of a shot, & keeps the game moving with simple, quick passes.

Any one of the top 6 sides could use him especially at the rumoured buyout clause.

Last edited:

The Nani

Liverpool have a midfield of Hendo, Fabinho, Ox, Milner, Wijnaldum, Keita and are doing fine. Nobody in there is particularly skillful or technically superb.

Partey is perfect for the English game. Powerful driving forward, tackles hard, a thunderbolt of a shot, & keeps the game moving with simple, quick passes.

Any one of the top 6 sides could use him especially at the rumoured buyout clause.
Partey is not nearly as technical a player as Liverpool’s midfielders. Not even Henderson or Milner. The rest are streets ahead of him technically though Ox isn’t really a fair comparison.

Skills

Snitch

Because they have a stupidly good attack & their full backs carry their creative workload. No other team can get away with a midfield like that outside of Liverpool.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Partey is not nearly as technical a player as Liverpool’s midfielders. Not even Henderson or Milner. The rest are streets ahead of him technically though Ox isn’t really a fair comparison.
Do you dislike the player that much that you need to result to hyperbole throughout your arguments? Please give an idea how wide these "streets" they are technically ahead of are.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Because they have a stupidly good attack & their full backs carry their creative workload. No other team can get away with a midfield like that outside of Liverpool.
In the pogba thread someone was using how hard the Liverpool midfielders work in defence as a stick to beat pogba with. So I asked how many goals and assists did that midfield contribute collectively...
Point being Liverpool's midfield are assembled with the purpose to cover ground, shield in defence and quickly transition the ball to the attackers. Players like Pogba who like to keep the ball and are "technically streets" ahead will make Liverpool as a team worse.

But hey this is for a separate thread and I don't want to be a partey pooper.

LiquidSnake

Honestly I feel like I need to repeat what I said earlier in this thread regarding Partey.

Honestly, a lot of incomprehension in this thread.

He was a limited (with potential) player in his first years in Atletico and then grew and grew more especially last season and this one.

I can't help but think people saw a ghanian player playing in midfield, first words are "limited", "no passing ability" or "destroyer" whereas he's anything of those. He's a pure 8, with a good engine, a good tactical awarness (he really stepped up in this area I think), a frightening strike in him and a nice eye for the between the lines passes. I think I see him as a less "blood & thunder" Matuidi but with way better pure technical abilities or maybe what Fred would be if Fred was actually a very good player performing.

Honestly go to an Atleti forum or on Atletico reddit or even Atletico instagram (or his) and you'll see how much he's valuated by Atletico fans, who wanted him to start in midfield (not Koke, not Saul) with Rodri since the start of the season. I think they will cause uproar if he leaves as he's seen as a "cantenaro" like Saul and Koke.

But I think it will be very hard for United to get him, 50 millions is a great price that a lot of teams should look into for a 26 years old midfielder entering his prime, but I have a feeling that if Simeone promise to make him a leader for a new look Atletico (and a new contract), he'll stay.
If you want or expect a pure destroying number 6, you will be disappointed. Maybe it's because all the words are on Rodri and people think because there's a spanish player triving in midfield, the dude next to him is a destroyer...

One of the best player in the game against Juventus in Madrid, and IMHO the best atleti player in their loss playing (pretty decently) at 10 against Barcelona in March I think... And those performances weren't just about tackles and tracking players like a madman.

Raven

For me, this is the position that needs strengthening the most. Partey, from what little I've seen, looks ideal, strong, tall, fast, keeps it simple. We wouldn't be leaking as many goals if we replaced Matic with him.

The Nani

Do you dislike the player that much that you need to result to hyperbole throughout your arguments? Please give an idea how wide these "streets" they are technically ahead of are.
Fabinho, Keita and Wijnaldum are all far better technically. I've literally never been impressed the many times I've seen Partey play. He's just not particularly great at anything.

Honestly I feel like I need to repeat what I said earlier in this thread regarding Partey.

If you want or expect a pure destroying number 6, you will be disappointed. Maybe it's because all the words are on Rodri and people think because there's a spanish player triving in midfield, the dude next to him is a destroyer...

One of the best player in the game against Juventus in Madrid, and IMHO the best atleti player in their loss playing (pretty decently) at 10 against Barcelona in March I think... And those performances weren't just about tackles and tracking players like a madman.
I just don't ever see him doing anything that stands out any time I see him. I think the Fred comparison is apt. Much more apt than Essien anyway.

He's supposedly gone from CDM/RB utility guy to class box to box midfielder in the space of a year. And yet we're talking about an Atletico side that scored ten fewer goals in the league than we did, FFS.

LiquidSnake

I just don't ever see him doing anything that stands out any time I see him. I think the Fred comparison is apt. Much more apt than Essien anyway.

He's supposedly gone from CDM/RB utility guy to class box to box midfielder in the space of a year. And yet we're talking about an Atletico side that scored ten fewer goals in the league than we did, FFS.
Last season, he was past the "utility" guy status. He's not a box to box either, that's why I talked about a "pure 8" (maybe in todays game everybody that I consider this way might get call defensive midfielder). He can bring something in attack but he will not pass the entire game chasing the second ball around the box à la Lampard (but still he has a great shot in his locker). He occasionally follows attacks and counter but many times you'll see him sit back and let others go way faster to the goal.

Let's say I like him a lot because he's a proper midfield that does all the little things you're waiting and needing from a midfielder, maybe in a sense like Carrick (I'm definitely not saying he has his level). He will never set the world alight but every great teams need those type of players.

And also I like him because it's a player that was a substitute during 2 years and really had a proper progression in an elite european team. So you can see it means that isn't just hype and he's a real worker something that needs to be taken in count.

Skills

Snitch
In the pogba thread someone was using how hard the Liverpool midfielders work in defence as a stick to beat pogba with. So I asked how many goals and assists did that midfield contribute collectively...
Point being Liverpool's midfield are assembled with the purpose to cover ground, shield in defence and quickly transition the ball to the attackers. Players like Pogba who like to keep the ball and are "technically streets" ahead will make Liverpool as a team worse.

But hey this is for a separate thread and I don't want to be a partey pooper.
I don't think a manager like Klopp is inflexible enough to be hampered by a player of Pogbas quality. But you have to make some adjustments. At the moment Liverpool's strengths lie in their attack and their two ridiculously productive full backs. So the midfield is there to just enable to be more effective.

nainaisson

The first leg of the PSG tie made it obvious how useless our midfield is when Pogba is effectively man-marked. Our forwards were completely cut off for most of the game because Matic and Herrera couldn't do anything with the ball.

We'll miss Herrera's work rate and shithousery, but he's simply not good enough to be a starting No.8 for the club.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I've seen little from him, but I've seen some stuff that I like.
I'd rather go for Ndidi though. Prem proven, younger and have him sat behind Pogba and another creative type midfielder and I'd be happy!

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
I've seen little from him, but I've seen some stuff that I like.
I'd rather go for Ndidi though. Prem proven, younger and have him sat behind Pogba and another creative type midfielder and I'd be happy!
My sentiments exactly.

Partey would be good for us. Ndidi would be better. Ndidi is also a monster aerially and would help us where we suck, defending set pieces.

Lee565

Would be concerned by signing Partey and Dembele as they are both very average on the ball and would wonder what we would be trying to accomplish if these players were to be deemed good enough for a club struggling to get back to challenging the top teams.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
With the potential exodus happening at Atleti, we should offer them Fred in exchange for Partey.

Fred can stop his English lessons. Besides language I think he'll fit Spanish football & a Simeone team perfectly.

Owen06

Wow! Am I the only one who has watched partey play?
He's no where near good enough to be considered an upgrade on what we have.fred is comfortably better,his passing, football iQ, and recoveries are better,partey is neither great defensively or offensively,he's just a poor man's sissoko,we should go nowhere close to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.