Thomas Partey | SIGNED for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolaholic

What a commanding performance at Anfield no less

Him, Llorente and Oblak had 8/10's at the minimum in as pressure packed a situation you can imagine.

Figure they all added a few more double digits to their price tags tonight if ever they're sold

Renegade

So calm on the ball. People will ignorantly compare him to Essien etc but he reminded me of Carrick tonight.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Nope, still don't get the hype. Good in tight spaces and finding the space between few players, which is something that you need when you are defending all the time, but his passing is absolutely average, has no range of passing from what I have seen which would be ridiculous in our system. Or any system that includes attacking other teams, and playing any decent football in process. Poster above me comparing him to Carrick is funny, he is nothing like Carrick, Carrick's passing was three levels above Partey's.

Perfect for someone like Simeone or Mourinho though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Any reason why? Seen partey much more and he looks different gravy
Partey is good but I have a few doubts which I will explain below. Zakaria is also 3/4 years younger which for me is advantageous for a team that is at least 2 years from mounting a genuine title challenge.

Partey plays in a system under Simeone where the whole dynamic is geared towards the collective in defensive transition which really helps defensive minded players IMO.

Zakaria plays under Marco Rose at Gladbach where the approach is proactive and the demands on a DM far outweigh what would be expected under a Simeone setup due to the risk of getting countered. A DM under Simeone is protected by the collective whereas under Rose, a DM is defending space usually in one v one situations. Zakaria is also tasked with building play in the first phase and can play CB to a high level which gives the Swiss DM a significant edge over the Atleti midfielder IMO. Raphael Honigstein in recent weeks wrote a piece describing Zakaria as a player who does the job of 3 players and tbf it's not hard to see why he would come to that conclusion.

So to conclude. I prefer Zakaria because a club of our stature should look to play a proactive brand of football and Ole has even spoken about eventually playing a highline. So it would benefit us to sign a DM who is adept at playing in such a way with the added bonus of also being a very good CB. In Zakaria we get a DM who is adept and well drilled tactically in a proactive approach. Also a very good #8 and CB.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He was very good again. Saúl is a special player though, and the midfielder I wanted most before we signed Bruno. Lovely player.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Nope, still don't get the hype. Good in tight spaces and finding the space between few players, which is something that you need when you are defending all the time, but his passing is absolutely average, has no range of passing from what I have seen which would be ridiculous in our system. Or any system that includes attacking other teams, and playing any decent football in process. Poster above me comparing him to Carrick is funny, he is nothing like Carrick, Carrick's passing was three levels above Partey's.

Depends. Him not being creative enough or a deep-lying playmaker hardly matters if our goal is to transition quickly from defence to attack. He'll help to win the ball back and him being good in tight spaces is extremely valuable against sides that press. Actually it means you'll have an outlet so that the team aren't dispossessed often. It means more possession, because it reduces the amount of times the whole team needs to run back to defend. That is something we have missed for large parts of this season, and something Matic brought through his good form. I think having Bruno, Sancho, Rashford, Martial etc play with freedom and pace should be enough to break down sides more consistently if they can focus on attacking and not be so worried about if they lose the ball we lose possession and momentum.

croadyman

Has put in another really strong performance again tonight by the sounds of it,can only be that he has no plans to leave Atletico as to why no one has paid the clause.

Dante

Average bang
I wouldn't put too much trust into the performances of any defensive minded player in an Atletico Madrid team. Just like I wouldn't put too much trust into the performances of any attack minded player in any Borussia Dortmund team.

System players thrive in systems designed for them. Partey might be top class, but judging him on performances for Simeone is way too risky. He's made Savic and Trippier look top quality as well.

Welbeckham

I’m bit surprised by this praise to be honest. Improved after a bit shaky start but I didn’t think he dominated that midfield or anything.

Plus, I agree what Dante said about system players.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Is it too risky to sign Sancho then? Because he only flourish in Dortmund system.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I’m bit surprised by this praise to be honest. Improved after a bit shaky start but I didn’t think he dominated that midfield or anything.

Plus, I agree what Dante said about system players.
I generally thought Atletico's passes from midfield were quite poor, but in fairness, the conditions were maybe trickier for those through balls than to play it out to the wing and cross it like Liverpool did. Koke was probably their most reliable passer (not seen any stats). I did think Partey was excellent though. He protected the ball with physicality and pretty great technique. He was impressive I thought.

Regarding "system players", bit of a blanket statement to make. Of course different setups/managers and teams suit players differently. I suspect there are very few players who will play at their peak in every setup. Barca Messi and Argentina Messi is a great example.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Had a good game. What I didn't like is one time he lost the ball high up the pitch and when Liverpool were storming forward he was casually jogging back, for a DM that's unacceptable.

Renegade

He was passing between the lines with such composure all game, keeping it moving and not panicking in possession.He wasn’t spraying Hollywood balls left , right and centre so you probably didn’t notice.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Partey is good but I have a few doubts which I will explain below. Zakaria is also 3/4 years younger which for me is advantageous for a team that is at least 2 years from mounting a genuine title challenge.

Partey plays in a system under Simeone where the whole dynamic is geared towards the collective in defensive transition which really helps defensive minded players IMO.

Zakaria plays under Marco Rose at Gladbach where the approach is proactive and the demands on a DM far outweigh what would be expected under a Simeone setup due to the risk of getting countered. A DM under Simeone is protected by the collective whereas under Rose, a DM is defending space usually in one v one situations. Zakaria is also tasked with building play in the first phase and can play CB to a high level which gives the Swiss DM a significant edge over the Atleti midfielder IMO. Raphael Honigstein in recent weeks wrote a piece describing Zakaria as a player who does the job of 3 players and tbf it's not hard to see why he would come to that conclusion.

So to conclude. I prefer Zakaria because a club of our stature should look to play a proactive brand of football and Ole has even spoken about eventually playing a highline. So it would benefit us to sign a DM who is adept at playing in such a way with the added bonus of also being a very good CB. In Zakaria we get a DM who is adept and well drilled tactically in a proactive approach. Also a very good #8 and CB.
Cheers, makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

Unlikely lad

His comfort in tiny spaces and reasonable press resistance is an upgrade on Fred IMO, but I’ve not seen him play consistently

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Didn't he say recently that he "wanted to retire" at Atletico?

Brightonian

I wouldn't put too much trust into the performances of any defensive minded player in an Atletico Madrid team. Just like I wouldn't put too much trust into the performances of any attack minded player in any Borussia Dortmund team.

System players thrive in systems designed for them. Partey might be top class, but judging him on performances for Simeone is way too risky. He's made Savic and Trippier look top quality as well.
This. He'd be unlikely to reproduce this sort of form in a different set-up.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
.For what it's worth. I don't believe Partey is a one system player. He's a player that would suit various systems because he is technically and physically gifted in the deeper role.

Gordon S

I like him! Has that almost arrogant composure and calm in him, even has it under Liverpools relentless pressing. His passing seems very good as well imo. He seems to be very happy in Madrid tough.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Solid performance. Bruno Partey and Fred midfield trio will be very balanced filled with quality and energy and experience. One of the reasons why I think we should sell Pogba is because his sale can help sort out our midfield. Sell for 100m and use the money to get Partey and Grealish.

Bruno Fred and Partey as the midfield three with Mctominay and Grealish rotating is the stuff of dreams

Alabaster Codify7

Solid performance. Bruno Partey and Fred midfield trio will be very balanced filled with quality and energy and experience. One of the reasons why I think we should sell Pogba is because his sale can help sort out our midfield. Sell for 100m and use the money to get Partey and Grealish.

Bruno Fred and Partey as the midfield three with Mctominay and Grealish rotating is the stuff of dreams

That's the fantasy, for me, next season.

--------Partey or Zakaria / Matic------

Fred/McTominay----Grealish or similar

Fernandes

2 x strikers.

Status
Not open for further replies.