Thomas Partey | SIGNED for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

I like Partey but I would prefer Zakaria now. He's a brute and very good defensively and can score goals from set pieces, especially with Fernandes finding him.

poleglass red

I hadn't seen him play a full game yet, seems like a strong enough player. Thought his passing was very defensive ie a lot of backwards passing, but that might be due to Atletico's playing style or trying to waste time as they were a lot during 1st half, until the goal. Re the defensive side of his game, seemed okay, 2 of Liverpool's best players though in 1st half were Wijnaldum and Oxlade Chamberlin who were getting all kinds of time on the ball and making untracked runs. The way Atletico were set up, they kind of invite you on to them, so hard to judge the role of a defensive mid in that, essentially the whole team is defensive. You can see why he's sought after. Probably not the best game to judge him on. Be interesting to see him in a more attack minded side

Inter Yer Nan

I hadn't seen him play a full game yet, seems like a strong enough player. Thought his passing was very defensive ie a lot of backwards passing, but that might be due to Atletico's playing style or trying to waste time as they were a lot during 1st half, until the goal. Re the defensive side of his game, seemed okay, 2 of Liverpool's best players though in 1st half were Wijnaldum and Oxlade Chamberlin who were getting all kinds of time on the ball and making untracked runs. The way Atletico were set up, they kind of invite you on to them, so hard to judge the role of a defensive mid in that, essentially the whole team is defensive. You can see why he's sought after. Probably not the best game to judge him on. Be interesting to see him in a more attack minded side
He does have a good range of passing. You'll see in games where Atletico have more of the ball he has the ability to spread the ball wide and find good passes. I'd classify him as a very good passer with a good range. His game is adaptable. He can run with the ball and off it, can pass long and short, play in tight spaces and also has quality in space. He's very good at following the orders of the coach. I would imagine he's one of Simeone's favorite players because he'll always give you his best and do what's asked of him. I think he'd improve us massively and would help put Bruno in that De Bruyne world class category.

croadyman

Linked to Arsenal in The Telegraph tomorrow,however hopefully we are the english club interested in buying him.

Rolaholic

Who the heck is this?

I saw the links pick up again yesterday but nothing about negotiations or anything yet.

If on the odd chance that it actually does happen during the next window, we 100% need to have Ole announce the deal with him and a #ParteyLikeIts1999 hashtag :lol:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Who the heck is this?

I saw the links pick up again yesterday but nothing about negotiations or anything yet.

If on the odd chance that it actually does happen during the next window, we 100% need to have Ole announce the deal with him and a #ParteyLikeIts1999 hashtag :lol:
I’d be surprised if that wasn’t bollocks, considering the opposite of what he’s saying should be true. Firstly he’s got a release clause so Atletico wouldn’t be required to accept the bid, and secondly he’s said he wants to retire at Atletico. If anything it should be personal terms that are the stumbling block.

NoPace

He does have a good range of passing. You'll see in games where Atletico have more of the ball he has the ability to spread the ball wide and find good passes. I'd classify him as a very good passer with a good range. His game is adaptable. He can run with the ball and off it, can pass long and short, play in tight spaces and also has quality in space. He's very good at following the orders of the coach. I would imagine he's one of Simeone's favorite players because he'll always give you his best and do what's asked of him. I think he'd improve us massively and would help put Bruno in that De Bruyne world class category.
I don't think Bruno can get into that De Bruyne class because the latter's decision making and robotic ability to not feck up passes is way beyond Bruno's, but Bruno can definitely outscore De Bruyne and get up to like 15 goals a year (with penalties), though probably can't lead the Prem in assists.

But agreed completely on Partey, he's a very smooth passer, a midfield of Fred-Partey with Bruno in front of them, Rashford out left and a quality RW (Sancho ideally) would be much better than we've had lately.

Inter Yer Nan

I don't think Bruno can get into that De Bruyne class because the latter's decision making and robotic ability to not feck up passes is way beyond Bruno's, but Bruno can definitely outscore De Bruyne and get up to like 15 goals a year (with penalties), though probably can't lead the Prem in assists.

But agreed completely on Partey, he's a very smooth passer, a midfield of Fred-Partey with Bruno in front of them, Rashford out left and a quality RW (Sancho ideally) would be much better than we've had lately.
I think that proposed line-up would make us a brilliant team provided Ole is able to get them to click. I don't see why they wouldn't.

sp_107

Zakaria / Partey / Saul / Soumare

From above four, Which one you buy if you are a manager?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good Choice.Do you think of any other CM target better than these 4 ?
Probably not, no. I think a lot of it in general is contingent on Pogba leaving or staying.

Should he leave, I’d be more inclined to go for a more all-action central midfielder like Saul or Soumaré.

Should he stay, I think we should be looking for a like-for-like long-term Matic replacement. I’m a fan of Ndidi but I don’t think Leicester would price him fairly and I don’t think we’ll directly replace Matic for another season yet.

Alabaster Codify7

Zakaria > Partey > Soumare > Saul.

Why?

Saul would cost us our entire summer budget, it's a no brainer. Zakaria is younger so I prefer him to Partey but either of those two, plus RW and another midfielder and I'd say we've had a great window.

NoPace

I think that proposed line-up would make us a brilliant team provided Ole is able to get them to click. I don't see why they wouldn't.
Yeah if we assume Pogba is gone, I think it's pretty clear the lineup has to be this:

--------------Martial-----------
Rashford--Bruno------RW
---------Fred----DM/CM------
LB-Maguire--CB----WanBissaka
---------------De Gea--------------------

Greenwood, James, McTominay, Lindelof/Bailly, Shaw, Williams and Romero should be a solid bench, though the RW would really have to be able to play as a 10 or we'd have to go 2 up front (James out left) whenever Bruno is out, or we probably need a creative type, might not be crazy to bring in someone on a loan for one year there (or another position) if we can't make a 5th major signing.

Brightonian

Yeah if we assume Pogba is gone, I think it's pretty clear the lineup has to be this:

--------------Martial-----------
Rashford--Bruno------RW
---------Fred----DM/CM------
LB-Maguire--CB----WanBissaka
---------------De Gea--------------------

Greenwood, James, McTominay, Lindelof/Bailly, Shaw, Williams and Romero should be a solid bench, though the RW would really have to be able to play as a 10 or we'd have to go 2 up front (James out left) whenever Bruno is out, or we probably need a creative type, might not be crazy to bring in someone on a loan for one year there (or another position) if we can't make a 5th major signing.
We don't need anyone for LB. Shaw is playing very well there and Williams is a capable back-up. Dalot can cover there too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We don't need anyone for LB. Shaw is playing very well there and Williams is a capable back-up. Dalot can cover there too.
Be surprised if there’s much left of Dalot at United tbh. He needs to stay fit and then hope others don’t so that he gets a run in the side, which he has to take. He hasn’t had a spell in the team since he’s been here, except for as a winger.

I’m still keen to see how he develops because in terms of some of his attributes, he has the potential to be our most balanced full back, but he needs to take a step forward quickly. Based on his reputation prior to joining us, I do think he has it in him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How many times have we said that about Shaw, though? The issue is never on his actual ability — it’s whether or not he can stay fit.

OleGunnar20

Why?

Saul would cost us our entire summer budget, it's a no brainer. Zakaria is younger so I prefer him to Partey but either of those two, plus RW and another midfielder and I'd say we've had a great window.
Came here to say just this. I'd guess Partey / Zakaria would cost similar amounts, and prefer Zakaria from the little I've seen of the two. Seems more dynamic.

Bruno
Pogba / Fred - Zakaria / Partey

Would be immense. With a better CB behind and a top class RW in front I think we'd have enough to challenge City / Pool once settled.

If Pogba does leave, Fred slots into his space nicely, probably bringing better balance of anything.

Things are looking up! If we ever get to play football again that is..

Brightonian

Be surprised if there’s much left of Dalot at United tbh. He needs to stay fit and then hope others don’t so that he gets a run in the side, which he has to take. He hasn’t had a spell in the team since he’s been here, except for as a winger.

I’m still keen to see how he develops because in terms of some of his attributes, he has the potential to be our most balanced full back, but he needs to take a step forward quickly. Based on his reputation prior to joining us, I do think he has it in him.
I don't think either we or he will be in a rush to do anything other than wait and see. As you say, his chances have been limited more by injury than anything else, so it's not as if he'll be itching to go elsewhere for game time. And his age, his reputation and the small but undeniable signs of his quality in the few games he has managed to play mean we'll be more than willing to keep having a look at him. He's unlikely to be taking much of a wage compared to our big earners.

Even if we sold him tomorrow though I still don't think we will be looking for a LB. Shaw and Williams make that a perfectly solid position for us.

Fosu-Mens

1. Partey. Perfect player to create stability in a team. Few mistakes, safe passer, excellent shielder of the defence. Unlike Soumare and Zakaria, Partey is a "safe" bet.
2. Zakaria. Not sure what he will be? And the Bundesliga has been gung-ho this season, so hard to evaluate a dynamic midfielder.
3. Saul. Better than Zakaria, but cost.
4. Soumare.

Andersons Dietician

Saul for me. Saw a story today United have readied a 70mil bid for him. With Atleti being up to their eyeballs in debt and Coronavirus there is not a hope in hell they won’t need to sell people this window and they can’t expect to hold out for Saul’s full buyout.

Rob Bowman

Why?

So I am assuming you see Pogba leaving? I also assume you see Lingard and Periera leaving as well?

Even then you would have Bruno/Fred/Partey as the starting 3, you have Mata, McT and Matic as backups (plus Gomes and Garner... loaned maybe?) and you want our transfer budget on a RW and another mid. Interesting I see RW for sure and I would love a solid young DCM like Partey but I see some other issue in the starting XI before we get another CM. Like I said just found it interesting. Cheers :)!

Rocknrolla69er

Would people be happy if we signed only two

Saul and Sancho?

Based on Pogba staying and Lingaard leaving

sp_107

Would people be happy if we signed only two

Saul and Sancho?

Based on Pogba staying and Lingaard leaving
Ofcourse that would improve us a lot.
Motivated Pogba with Saul and Bruno would be the best MF in years we had with Sancho & Rashford on wings.

If Pogba leaves then Saul, Bruno with one of Grealish/VanBeek would do.

NoPace

-I don't think we can contend for the league and Europe and have 2 fullbacks who aren't above average going forward, and Wan-Bissaka is more reliable than Shaw all in all.
-Williams did fine but he wasn't exactly Evra out there and honestly that's what we need. I think he'll be a useful squad player because he can play both sides, has good energy and aggression going forward and is a clever short passer for a fullback
-Dalot does have the potential one would think to become a proper threat, but only on the right

If you wanna argue we should just spend big on the next Brazilian teenage LB who projects as Marcelo going forward because Shaw and Williams can handle the spot for a couple years then fine, but Liverpool and before that Real Madrid had elite fullback creativity when they won the CLs (Robertson/TAA and before that Marcelo and even Carvajal) and we have very little at the moment.

And if we want to play 3 at the back more where Shaw did well as an LCB, we need that proper assist machine at LWB, be it a left back who is great going forward (Grimaldo? Max?) or a left midfielder who can play there like McNeil from Burnley or Saka from Arsenal (contract ends in a year) and the other names that come to mind aren't realistic transfers at the moment (Sessegnon).

I haven't seen much of him but it seems like we might have missed out by not buying that Skov guy who scored a million goals, since he did that cutting in on the right as a winger but has apparently done well at LB and LWB in the Bundesliga and could have been our 3-5-2 LWB and our backup RW, hopefully to Sancho, since James is better on the left or might even have to play on the right since we might not buy a proper backup for Bruno and have to make Sancho our backup 10 or else have a midfield with no creativity (assuming Pogba goes). Might have been 10M well spent. Mourinho wanted a player of this profile and thought it could be Perisic, I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.