Thomas Partey | SIGNED for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I will be happy even if we only sign Sancho and him in this transfer window. But there hasn't been any reports showcasing our interest for him which is sad actually.
I agree. It would be two quality additions that could cover up for potential deficiencies we arguably still have defensively.

croadyman

I will be happy even if we only sign Sancho and him in this transfer window. But there hasn't been any reports showcasing our interest for him which is sad actually.
Yeah the door for signing a DM/DLP this summer looks firmly closed to me which is a real shame

SAFMUTD

I don't get it if we're not after him.

He is good defensively, dynamic and quick which will help centrally around Maguire and Pogba. I guess Ndidi would offer similar, but Partey would slot right in our side as he has quick feet playing out from the back and quick in transition. He is also very aggressive and can win the ball back. He is just a really good fit the way I see it and I think he would be even better suited to our tactics than Atletico Madrid defensive tactics honestly.
I dont know, I think Simeone makes the team look better than the sum of their parts.

Most of their "star players" end up being a dissapointment after leaving Atletico, I mean besides Diego Costa and Courtouis with Chelsea all their other players have not been the same, to say the least, when moved to another team at this goes a long way back.

Griezmann to Barca, Rodri to City, Lucas Hernandez to Bayern, Godin to Inter, Felipe Luis to Chelsea, Miranda to Inter, Theo Hernandez to Madrid, Arda Turan to Barca, Falcao to Monaco, etc

Funningly the ones that failed at Atletico end up playing better in other clubs such as Alderweireld, Raul Jimenez, Diego Jota to mention some.

gorky_utd

Why on earth any body wants to move to arsenal from Atletico Madrid? That mid table team is going no where and he will probably never play in champions league again if he joins that pathetic squad. See the example of aubameyang and how he ruined his career by joining them. On a side note, why arsenal board thinks a player like guendouzi will be of any interest to simeone?

UpWithRivers

If Arsenal can throw out offers like 25 + a player we should have a cheeky bid as well. Our crap is better than their crap. Lingard, Periera, etc. Heck we could straight swap with Fred.

theklr

Im completly dumbfounded that we arent even looking in his direction. But he is abit more box to box than Matic and Rice e.g. , and we are well stacked in that department.

Fosu-Mens

Im completly dumbfounded that we arent even looking in his direction. But he is abit more box to box than Matic and Rice e.g. , and we are well stacked in that department.
He has operated as the deep sitting midfielder as well. His abilities make him able to operate in most CDM and CM roles.
Having 4 very capable midfield alternatives next season in PP, Matic, Bruno and Partey would make us so much more capable of coping with injuries. No reason as for why we are not going after one of the better performing midfielders in the world over the last two seasons.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
€25 million and Guendozi for Partey. fecking joke offer.
It really is a joke. Guendozi should be about 10m-15m for valuation in Atl Madrid view or may be none. One because Atl Madrid already have Marcos Llorente as replacement, two becausse Guendozi is just a player who is status not needed in Arsenal with only 2 years left in his contract.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Do Arsenal even pay big wages? Ozil aside. Their fans always moan about the Yank not investing enough.
They pay a very good wage to foreign stars, perhaps not top whack, like Özil got, but certainly a healthy increase to what Partey's on at the moment.

It's a surprise there's not more interest in him than Arsenal, or clubs thereabouts their predicament. He's a league and top-end CL level player, so it's a surprise that they seem to have a clear run on him when so many other clubs with the highest aspirations could badly do with him, not least us.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Why would he leave CL chasing Atletico for midtable Arsenal? Doesn’t really make sense.
Arsenal are still a big name and arguably a bigger club than Atletico

He'd go from not really challenging in Madrid to not challenging at all in England but earn more money

Pagh Wraith

On one of the recent StatsBomb podcasts they made a pretty decent case for Arsenal to stay well away from him on a free.

The gist of it was:
- taking him on a free means he'll have a big wage package
- hasn't played as a DM for most of the season
- he's been more of an 8, physically very good but that has not translated into consistent defensive output
- if you're going to spend big money on a 27-year old (most likely giving him a 5-year contract), you need more than just a player who's "fine"
- there is no data on him to suggest he's "elite" which means there is a lot of risk involved
- to mitigate the risk you either need to have a lower price (wages) or a younger player that can develop into something more
- Arsenal already have a lot money tied up in Lacazette and Aubameyang who are peak age or slightly past it and they won't be able to move on for big money
- if you're not particularly dominant by the age of 27 and hoping the player will develop into something more, you're going to have big problems on your hands in years 3/4/5 of the contract
- Sanchez and Özil as examples of "wasted wages"

Last edited:

PedroMendez

Acolyte
On one of the recent StatsBomb podcasts they made a pretty decent case for Arsenal to stay well away from him on a free.

The gist of it was:
- taking him on a free means he'll have a big wage package
- hasn't played as a DM for most of the season
- he's been more of an 8, physically very good but that has not translated into consistent defensive output
- if you're going to spend big money on a 27-year old (most likely giving him a 5-year contract), you need more than just a player who's "fine"
- there is no data on him to suggest he's "elite" which means there is a lot of risk involved
- to mitigate the risk you either need to have a lower price (wages) or a younger player that can develop into something more
- Arsenal already have a lot money tied up in Lacazette and Aubameyang who are peak age or slightly past it and they won't be able to move on for big money
- if you're not particularly dominant by the age of 27 and hoping the player will develop into something more, you're going to have big problems on your hands in years 3/4/5 of the contract
- Sanchez and Özil as examples of "wasted wages"
this season he played almost exclusively as DM. Last season he played the slightly more attacking part of the double pivot and previous to that, he was used more offensively as b2b.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I dont know, I think Simeone makes the team look better than the sum of their parts.

Most of their "star players" end up being a dissapointment after leaving Atletico, I mean besides Diego Costa and Courtouis with Chelsea all their other players have not been the same, to say the least, when moved to another team at this goes a long way back.

Griezmann to Barca, Rodri to City, Lucas Hernandez to Bayern, Godin to Inter, Felipe Luis to Chelsea, Miranda to Inter, Theo Hernandez to Madrid, Arda Turan to Barca, Falcao to Monaco, etc

Funningly the ones that failed at Atletico end up playing better in other clubs such as Alderweireld, Raul Jimenez, Diego Jota to mention some.
You make a good point. I think Rodri has been mostly good so far though, but yeah that's pretty funny.

DanClancy

They pay a very good wage to foreign stars, perhaps not top whack, like Özil got, but certainly a healthy increase to what Partey's on at the moment.

It's a surprise there's not more interest in him than Arsenal, or clubs thereabouts their predicament. He's a league and top-end CL level player, so it's a surprise that they seem to have a clear run on him when so many other clubs with the highest aspirations could badly do with him, not least us.
Not a great deal off difference in the 2 wage bills from 18/19 with when the current exchange rate is factored in. Now to be fair they had a lot of new signings last summer so suspect that wage bill has increased whilst Arsenal's has probably stayed the same.

He's got 2 years left on his contract so something likely to give this summer, he'll either be sold or will sign a new contract.

AFC NimbleThumb

When I mentioned a more dynamic DM to play alongside Paul & Bruno this was the kind of player I was thinking of.

Our lack of quality in there will bite us again next season.

marktan

I'm not sure how good a DM he is is the only issue, I haven't watched Atletico much lately but I do remember he used to play pretty deep. He's technically excellent though and with a 50m release clause could be a really good signing.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not a great deal off difference in the 2 wage bills from 18/19 with when the current exchange rate is factored in. Now to be fair they had a lot of new signings last summer so suspect that wage bill has increased whilst Arsenal's has probably stayed the same.

He's got 2 years left on his contract so something likely to give this summer, he'll either be sold or will sign a new contract.
Sure. Question is, him signing a new deal at Atletico: would it come close to what a club like Arsenal will have to pay him to get him to go there?

drmuji

I seriously think we should go for him. I cant understand why are we not in for him. Jack Grealish should not be our top priority. Mata can play in that role if that is needed.
But having a dynamic player like him, with matic interchanging with him in big games will surely help us.
And its not like that he is costing us gazillion dollars. If We can have Jadon Sancho, him and a CB ---- We would have a great window

Rolaholic

Fair play to Rio namedropping him and Saul when discussing players he'd like to see us sign this summer, maybe that might get the club to look into it if they haven't yet.

sp_107

SMT/Fred were good for us but if you watch palace game again you will see how much difference Matic made when he came on ,,,

We need a better DM to unlock Pogba/Bruno

One of Partey/Saul/Zakaria/Carmavinga/Ndidi/Rice

Man Yusuf united

SMT/Fred were good for us but if you watch palace game again you will see how much difference Matic made when he came on ,,,

We need a better DM to unlock Pogba/Bruno

One of Partey/Saul/Zakaria/Carmavinga/Ndidi/Rice
Is Saul really a defensive midfielder too?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
One we'll regret missing out on I feel.

DarkXaero

He's the type of player we should have prioritized over a depth signing like van de Beek. But rather than blaming the board, I blame Ole who never identified a DM/holding mid as a priority for us this window.

Fooza

Arsenal getting Partey means they have had a better window than us. Sad to see that the got their targets and we got our Plan C's.

Adcuth

Flying to London now. Set for Arsenal. Did we not think he could improve us more than cavani?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Partey, VDB and Bruno would've been sex.

Instead we'll have Pogba's show-up-for-one-game-disappear-for-eight shite for another season.

mu4c_20le

He is a slow and fairly limited player. There is a reason why no other elite club in europe activated his very public release clause.

lumeyes

This guy goes to Arsenal for the romoured amount... can't stop shaking my head, not sure I'll be able to start my one-man protest. What do United scouts do? With this guy Arsenal will be far more competitive for top 5 finish than us.

He's the type of player we should have prioritized over a depth signing like van de Beek. But rather than blaming the board, I blame Ole who never identified a DM/holding mid as a priority for us this window.
Maybe that's the problem and that won't be surprising because he went into last season with Lingard and co in attacking midfield/no 10.

lumeyes

He is a slow and fairly limited player. There is a reason why no other elite club in europe activated his very public release clause.
Maybe it was my eyes deceiving but I watched a Madrid derby last year and he was the star of the game. His performance that day was top class, and he did it the whole game, not just for 10 minutes.

lsd

The Oracle
It is the last position we should be looking at . Any United fan complaining we were not in for him is totally spoilt

El Zoido

We already have Matic, McT, and Fred for this position. Not saying he wouldn’t have improved us but I can hardly blame Ole for prioritising positions where we’re really short.

Status
Not open for further replies.