Thomas Partey

Alabaster Codify7

I was on about Sean Longstaff, the Newcastle lad who doesn't score, assist or contribute much defensively but is English so might 'get the club' in Ole's deluded eyes.

Could we buy in Jan? I think this midfield would be good.

Pogba - Partey - McGinn

lon ball2

He’s an absolute must sign in my opinion. The sort of support Pogba needs to come alive

Sky12

Supports
Chelsea
He’s an absolute must sign in my opinion. The sort of support Pogba needs to come alive
Another name to add to the long list of players Pogba needs to come alive. When will you guys come to the realization that Pogba is perhaps just not that good and it's not his his team mates fault. His just a show pony who makes sure he looks good when controlling the ball and hits the occasional long pass.

Hawks2008

If only he was English, we might actually be looking at him.

Instead we will be back for Longstaff who is no better than McTominay

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If only he was English, we might actually be looking at him.

Instead we will be back for Longstaff who is no better than McTominay
I think people are being way to dismissive of Longstaff on this forum. It’s become a thing now, that he’s rubbish, when I’m reality, his story is really yet to be written. He’s had a small amount of games this season, which seems to have convinced a forum who were far more undecided in the summer that he’s no good. He’s just come back from a ligament injury and has not even been fit for every game this season, so where all these conclusions are coming from I have no idea.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think people are being way to dismissive of Longstaff on this forum. It’s become a thing now, that he’s rubbish, when I’m reality, his story is really yet to be written. He’s had a small amount of games this season, which seems to have convinced a forum who were far more undecided in the summer that he’s no good. He’s just come back from a ligament injury and has not even been fit for every game this season, so where all these conclusions are coming from I have no idea.
Has he shown he is better than McTominay? Even before the injury?

Hawks2008

Never said he was rubbish, just that I have seen nothing from him that I haven't seen from Scott so I dont see the need for him.

Johan07

Its just stupidity from fans being upset with this summers transfer window.
For me Partey (established and still young) and Longstaff (prospect) would have been excellent this summer. It would have turned a decent transfer window to an great one. We needed two midfielders IMO.
It might very well happen next summer instead. Hope so.
But: there can be plenty of reasons why we cant get our first choices; and to be fair I would rather that we wait a window then just buy someone else for the sake of it to plug in midfield.
We have been guilty of that too much over the last couple of years.
If anything it seems like the club are focusing on our first choices, and if its not possible we will go with youth instead.
Its a good plan even if it does not yield instant gratification, which of course is frustrating in itself.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Well you never know, Pogba and Ibra did. He wants to play in the PL apparently.
They did because they believed Jose was going to sort out United.
3 years later, we’re at the lowest point since 2013, and they light at the tunnel looks a decade away.
We’re going to seriously struggle attracting big players from big teams.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Has he shown he is better than McTominay? Even before the injury?
That’s a matter of opinion. Majority of this caf thinks McTominay is better than I do, so I suspect they would say no. To me, McTominay is rubbish, and Longstaff is far more talented. That’s my assessment from watching them before the injury. I’ve not watched Longstaff this season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
That’s a matter of opinion. Majority of this caf thinks McTominay is better than I do, so I suspect they would say no. To me, McTominay is rubbish, and Longstaff is far more talented. That’s my assessment from watching them before the injury. I’ve not watched Longstaff this season.
If a few games this season isn't enough to write him off. Maybe 9 before isn't enough to say he is better?

I personally do not know if he is or isn't.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If a few games this season isn't enough to write him off. Maybe 9 before isn't enough to say he is better?

I personally do not know if he is or isn't.
It’s all I have to go on. Perhaps it’s worked in his favour that I’ve seen less of him than Scott. I’ve seen plenty of Scott that I am more comfortable in saying he’s rubbish. I’ve seen a little of Longstaff, and in that little, I can see that he has ability on the ball in that he has a good range of passing, good shot and comfortable on both feet. I’m not promising he will be a special player or anything, but from what I’ve seen, there’s more to him than just effort. I don’t think there’s anything relevant to McTominay beyond effort.

Walters_19_MuFc

Could we buy in Jan? I think this midfield would be good.

Pogba - Partey - McGinn
Ole looks set on playing a double pivot. He doesn't see Pogba as an attacking midfielder so will play him as a 6. Ole needs to think about who will partner him. Partey would seem the obvious option if we were going for someone who could compliment Pogba. He'd also play well with McTominay.

Robbie Boy

Tbf, McTominay is scarily overrated on here but Longstaff looks gash.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Tbf, McTominay is scarily overrated on here but Longstaff looks gash.
He looked a lot better than gash last season tbh. That said, that’s no guarantee he’ll become a player of course. Could be in a spell of poor form at the moment, or could have been in a spell of unusually good form last season.

Robbie Boy

He looked a lot better than gash last season tbh. That said, that’s no guarantee he’ll become a player of course. Could be in a spell of poor form at the moment, or could have been in a spell of unusually good form last season.
I found his ‘good spell’ last season as weirdly overstated to be completely honest. Seemed like people were only banging on about him on here. I just don’t see ‘it’ with him whatsoever.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I found his ‘good spell’ last season as weirdly overstated to be completely honest. Seemed like people were only banging on about him on here. I just don’t see ‘it’ with him whatsoever.
Fair enough.

I don’t think his good spell was overstated personally, as I don’t think anyone was acting like he was one of the best young players around. At least speaking for myself, I made the first thread on him saying he’d looked good in the few games I’d seen and he was perhaps one to keep an eye on. A few people agreed, but he wasn’t getting Wilshere hype, and his thread reached only about 2 pages by the end of the season.

It was when we became linked with him. Naturally, when linked with a player you think what you know about him, and for myself and others it was stating the fact that my impressions on him were only good. Personally, I wanted Barella and Rice as my midfield additions, but if we wanted Longstaff, it kinda reassured me of my own first impression that he looked promising. We’ll see if we go back in for him. I’d much rather others, but this Scott McTominay thing needs to stop next season at the latest, preferably in January, because he definitely isn’t the answer in my opinion.

lon ball2

Another name to add to the long list of players Pogba needs to come alive. When will you guys come to the realization that Pogba is perhaps just not that good and it's not his his team mates fault. His just a show pony who makes sure he looks good when controlling the ball and hits the occasional long pass.
I’m not a Pogba fan boy, but unless Madrid comes in for him we need to make the best. I think partey would improve any team in the prem apart from city or Liverpool. Our mid field needs improving full stop

If ole is still around next summer I think Pogba will go and we will overpay for Maddison

Sky12

Supports
Chelsea
I’m not a Pogba fan boy, but unless Madrid comes in for him we need to make the best. I think partey would improve any team in the prem apart from city or Liverpool. Our mid field needs improving full stop

If ole is still around next summer I think Pogba will go and we will overpay for Maddison
Fair enough, was just thinking aloud. But I get your point.

lon ball2

Fair enough, was just thinking aloud. But I get your point.
It’s depressing really, if we’d have kept Herrera we would have been one player like Partey away from having a very competitive midfield. Now it looks like we might need as many as three if Pogba leaves. I wouldn’t blame him for going - the glazers don’t have enough ambition - but I can only hope in vain he’s at least professional about it

Hawks2008

We badly we dropped the ball in the market. Partey + Fernandes would have cost maybe 100m combined, it would have instantly upgraded on the likes of Lingard, Mata, Matic, Fred, Mctominay etc. and even if Pogba wasn't going to stick around the season after we would be in a spot where we only needed 1 more midfielder. Instead what will happen is Pobga will surely force a move after this season ends, and as you say we are going to reinvest the majority of his fee on Madisson and still need to buy 2 more midfielders, let alone add depth and quality to our forward line.

Still boggles the mind how the coaches and the board decided not to pursue more signings.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Should only buy him if we buy Leicester's leading goalscorer.

No Vardy, no Partey, IMO.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His progression is fantastic. Very good player.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He played as a DM, right? Hope we get him or Saul from AM.

Red_toad

As all the other threads are locked, seems odd that the proclaimed 'best holding midfielder in the league 22/23 season' by La Arse fans, appears to be on his way out and back to Spain according to the latest reports.