Thomas Tuchel confirmed as PSG's new manager

cyberman

He is on the brink too.

But that PSG team yesterday you just need to look at the midfield and realise they not going to create anything especially without the front two.
They arent getting out of the group now. RB and Utd are set up to run at that defence in games they have to win.
That whole project is a failure.

Why do you think so? I don't really rate him
I like the way we setup his team at BVB and they were really exciting to watch, hes good tactically and flexible and doesnt rely on just one formation.

This video was from 2 years ago, but i think it explained his tactics well at BVB.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
PSG going into europa is a big possibility now which would be a disaster considering the step forward they made last season. Pretty likely now unless they win at Old Trafford (think Leipzig will beat Man. United last game).

Who's PSG looking at as potential replacement. I've long thought Poch would be good choice at this point in career but looks like Man. United will get in there first. Guess Allegri will be option.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
PSG going into europa is a big possibility now which would be a disaster considering the step forward they made last season. Pretty likely now unless they win at Old Trafford (think Leipzig will beat Man. United last game).

Who's PSG looking at as potential replacement. I've long thought Poch would be good choice at this point in career but looks like Man. United will get in there first. Guess Allegri will be option.
Which was mostly due to the fact that we had 1 game per round. I very much doubt they'd have made it to the final if we had the normal 2 legged games.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
No one will top his achievements at PSG. It will take a monumental effort to reach UCL final again, let alone win it.

This would be PSG's 5th coach in 8 years, dodgy record.

stevoc

No one will top his achievements at PSG. It will take a monumental effort to reach UCL final again, let alone win it.

This would be PSG's 5th coach in 8 years, dodgy record.
Has he won more than Blanc did?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Has he won more than Blanc did?
Blanc has one more French league trophy, but Tuchel has 2 in 2 years.

The big difference is Blanc never went further than a Champions League QF, whilst Tuchel has last season's breakthrough to build upon.

Neither Allegri nor Pochettino have won the UCL, so I doubt they would add any value.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Tuchel is regarded as a top tier coach in Germany, Pep wanted him to be his successor after he left us. Tactically I don't think there are many better than him. Nevertheless, I'm actually impressed that he is still working in Paris though since he's rather infamous for being quite a difficult character to handle. I'm also not sure if his players are still 100% behind his approach. His PSG team is rather inconsistent, some of his signings have been absolutely horrible. I see him as someone who could instill quite a solid philosophy in a club and be rather successful for a year or two and eventually falls out with the board and fired, but still leave a formidable and well-coached squad behind.

He'd be the "safer" choice among Nagelsmann, Rose, Hasenhüttl for having already worked at a big club, but is a far cry from a "tactical dinosaur". Not one that usually stays for 5 years or more at a club though, but who else is these days.

Canagel

He has a crap team. Seriously go and look at the PSG squad compared to what they used to have 4,5,6 years ago its not even close.

There is a better squad here, he would do even better with better players and should be considered for the job

Pep's Suit

PSG have Neymar+Mbappe but the rest would be midtable in PL. Verratti's always injured and didn't improve for years, Di Maria's in decline, their fullbacks are terrible. Genuinely wonder how they rebuild their squad if can't spend much.

Bojan11

Tuchel is regarded as a top tier coach in Germany, Pep wanted him to be his successor after he left us. Tactically I don't think there are many better than him. Nevertheless, I'm actually impressed that he is still working in Paris though since he's rather infamous for being quite a difficult character to handle. I'm also not sure if his players are still 100% behind his approach. His PSG team is rather inconsistent, some of his signings have been absolutely horrible. I see him as someone who could instill quite a solid philosophy in a club and be rather successful for a year or two and eventually falls out with the board and fired, but still leave a formidable and well-coached squad behind.

He'd be the "safer" choice among Nagelsmann, Rose, Hasenhüttl for having already worked at a big club, but is a far cry from a "tactical dinosaur". Not one that usually stays for 5 years or more at a club though, but who else is these days.
Does he even choose the signings at PSG?

Bojan11

PSG have Neymar+Mbappe but the rest would be midtable in PL. Verratti's always injured and didn't improve for years, Di Maria's in decline, their fullbacks are terrible. Genuinely wonder how they rebuild their squad if can't spend much.
Yeah. Midfield three of Marquinhos, Herrera and Gueye starting yesterday. That’s just shocking from them.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Does he even choose the signings at PSG?
At Dortmund he caused a lot of disruption, because he was unhappy the club signed young players like Dembele and Guerreiro, instead of his favourites Schürrle, Toprak and Bellarabi. I think tactically he's a very good coach and you can deal with his difficult character if you don't expect him to stay more than two or three years, but given United's unclear recruitment strategy I'd be worried about that aspect.

Last edited:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
How come the Caf tends to not want Pochettino but seem more positive about Tuchel? Tuchel has done much less, including one outright poor job at Dortmund (you can’t count PSG league wins, surely?).

neilv93

How come the Caf tends to not want Pochettino but seem more positive about Tuchel? Tuchel has done much less, including one outright poor job at Dortmund (you can’t count PSG league wins, surely?).
Hang about, so we're asking for a manager that has won trophies... but only certain trophies that we like?

iHicksy

Hang about, so we're asking for a manager that has won trophies... but only certain trophies that we like?
To be fair winning the french league with PSG shouldn't really count in any manager's favor. I'm pretty sure Moyes, Giggs, Bruce etc would win that league with the previous PSG squads. I would say getting top 4 in the prem is a better achievement than winning the French league personally.

stevoc

Blanc has one more French league trophy, but Tuchel has 2 in 2 years.

The big difference is Blanc never went further than a Champions League QF, whilst Tuchel has last season's breakthrough to build upon.

Neither Allegri nor Pochettino have won the UCL, so I doubt they would add any value.
Well yeah he has 4, 3 of them in 3 years at PSG as well as 4 cups. He won 2 trebles there as well.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on PSG reaching the final last year, it was a weird year with the pandemic break and the straight knock-out format.

macheda14

Outright poor is pretty harsh. The core of his team was gutted for his second season. He lost Mats Hummels, İlkay Gündoğan, and Mkhitaryan and did win the DFB Pokal. I wouldn’t take him purely because he had a terrible relationship with the board and I don’t see it going much better here.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He did a good job at Dortmund. He was fired because of his behaviour, not because of results.

neilv93

To be fair winning the french league with PSG shouldn't really count in any manager's favor.
Paul Jewell would win the French league with PSG to be fair
Yeah but we're discounting managers like Poch for not winning anything, but now also discounting managers like Tuchel who have won something but just not what the Caf wants... meanwhile the likes of Nagelsmann and Rose are the dreams of some!!

Cloud7

How have PSG spent so much money and their squad looks so bang average? Outside of Neymar, Mbappe, Di Maria and Veratti the rest of their squad looks like a midtable PL squad stacked with a bunch of journeymen.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How have PSG spent so much money and their squad looks so bang average? Outside of Neymar, Mbappe, Di Maria and Veratti the rest of their squad looks like a midtable PL squad stacked with a bunch of journeymen.
Because in order to follow FFP PSG have sold a lot of players over the years and they don't actually spend that much on individual players outside of Neymar, Mbappé and Di Maria.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Marquinhos is a fantastic defender. Would get

Kimpembe, Paredes, Icardi are good players.

Cloud7

Because in order to follow FFP PSG have sold a lot of players over the years and they don't actually spend that much on individual players outside of Neymar, Mbappé and Di Maria.
Looking at their squad it certainly seems that way, even if it felt contrary to that before.

iHicksy

Yeah but we're discounting managers like Poch for not winning anything, but now also discounting managers like Tuchel who have won something but just not what the Caf wants... meanwhile the likes of Nagelsmann and Rose are the dreams of some!!
Yes you are definitely correct. You certainly can't choose unique criteria for judging each manager individually. We should be weighing their potential based on different areas and what they have won. E.g style of football, potential for improvement, youth development and of course trophies won. Taking poch as an example. Now, i'd argue that Poch getting a team to the CL final and having spurs finish in the top 4 could perhaps be said to be a better achievement than winning the French league with PSG or German league with Bayern, for example. But then we have to look at his credentials for developing youth. I'd say from reports from spurs fans that he didn't do this at spurs at all, and in fact got rid of some of their more promising youth players. I'm not sure how accurate this is however. So we have to weigh how important these aspects of management style are, against say a history of winning trophies (e.g Allegri). I'd say we tried this approach with Jose, where we hired a manager who was a serial winner but whom we knew was in direct opposition to United's philosophy of pragmatic, attacking football and the development of youth.

We won a couple of trophies but ultimately Jose's desire to replace certain players with older counterparts went against Ed's vision for the club, rightly or wrongly. So hiring a manager on past trophies alone might not be the best idea for us if they don't meet the other criteria. Then we have someone like LVG. He was known for promoting youth, and in fact seemed to prefer working with youth players since older players were less inclined to adapting to his rigid measures. He had a certain brand of football which again, was not in the United mold. He shipped out valuable players and replaced them with ones to fit his robotic system. This didn't work. Now we've hired a coach who understands all of the United principles, has fantastic media and player management but massively lacks experience in a managerial capacity. We're seeing this now with results on the pitch. His staff are also either inexperienced (Carrick and Mckenna) or from a bygone age. They understand the United way and encompass it perfectly off the pitch. But I don't believe they have what it takes to get us back to being a top club. I don't see an Ole having the same training and tactical know how of say, a Poch, Klopp or Pep.

There's not a manager out there outside of the likes of Klopp who fits all of the criteria that we would want, so we end up having to decide which is most important to us. I'd say the board will go with someone who fits the current united philosophy (attack, youth etc) who has the potential to take us up a level over another serial winner who might push back against these ideals.