Thomas Tuchel confirmed as PSG's new manager

paulscholes18

So what’s going to happen with him? Already rumours of Allegri though from shit sources.

They made the final. Think he deserves a crack to take them to the next step.
Wouldn’t be surprised if he was sacked, they paid over 50m for Icardi and he didn’t come on, instead he brought on Choupo-Moting who has only scored 9 goals in 2 season.

CM

It might seem harsh to sack him now but it's difficult to see Tuchel taking PSG that step further to go on and win it.

It felt like everything aligned perfectly for them just to make the final and even then, they never really look like winning the game. Blanc got the boot for not making it past the quarters with them but even that team seemed a more threatening side at the time.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Assuming Neymar stays he ll probably want to see Tuchel gone just to give the illusion it was a coaching problem. Same probably with Mbappe. And as we all know these days in these days often times the players win that political game.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

To be fair he did a good job. Dominating the French league and getting to the CL final, being beat by one goal in a one-off as the team with the bigger chances. Something that can always happen in such games against top opponents, but from a coaching side there was nothing wrong.

izec

Would be dumb to get rid of him. I would give him another year. Poch or Allegri aren't better. Their teams' CL final performances were far worse. PSG were just as good as Bayern until the goal. Then Bayern dominated, not just in possession.

Tuchel did a good job, but Bayern punish individual mistakes ruthlessly.

Vernon Philander

It might seem harsh to sack him now but it's difficult to see Tuchel taking PSG that step further to go on and win it.

It felt like everything aligned perfectly for them just to make the final and even then, they never really look like winning the game. Blanc got the boot for not making it past the quarters with them but even that team seemed a more threatening side at the time.
Eh? First half alone they had at least a couple of gilt edged chances. Result easily could have gone in their favour on another day.

Harsh move, should be given another crack at it, if not winning the CL is only criteria for a dismissal.

passing-wind

Quality manager, if it doesn't work out with Ole I'd have no problem with implementing him to move us forward.

He organises the structure of the team well but rather than just absorbing pressure aimlessly they play good football to navigate chances. He's imo one of the best tactical managers around completely nullified Bayern.

LucasXXII

PSG easily had the better chances first half. If Mbappe didn't miss that sitter it'd be a whole different ball game we're talking.

It's not like Tuchel intentionally parked the bus against Bayern either. PSG have been playing 4-3-3 with 3 defensive midfielders since Atalanta. Verratti probably still wasn't fit enough so he had to field a Marquinhos/Herrera/Paredes midfield (remember people slated Pochettino for starting a half-fit Kane in the final just last year).

It was just fine margins. At the end of the day, Bayern had the better and more balanced squad but PSG didn't look the inferior team at all until the Coman goal. To be fair though Bayern pressed until the last minutes whereas PSG completely shit the bed since then. Experience and mentality probably determined the results.

Suedesi

Don't know how you can blame Tuchel for this, he set them up well. If anything it was the big stars - Neymar, di Maria and Mbappe who bottled it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You could argue that he should have gotten more out of them in the second half but the first goal in these kind of games tends to be decisive. And PSG should have scored in the 1st half. In that Tuchel did get it right. They were pragmatic and dangerous on the counter. It's just that the front 3 didn't turn up.

NoLogo

Don't know how you can blame Tuchel for this, he set them up well. If anything it was the big stars - Neymar, di Maria and Mbappe who bottled it.
Exactly. I have no clue what they were doing in front of goal and by the looks of it neither did they. Arguably Kherer could have needed more help on the right because di Maira was either instructed to not help defensively or simply didn't care, but that certainly seemed to be a bit of a tactical oversight and Bayern exploited that openness on PSGs right side time and time again.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
So what’s going to happen with him? Already rumours of Allegri though from shit sources.

They made the final. Think he deserves a crack to take them to the next step.
No idea but the Allegri rumors started when Leonardo came back, he was even supposed to sack Tuchel last year, and he didn't. I wouldn't pay attention to them. Unless there's a top coach on the market, I'd say Tuchel deserves another year, he just gave PSG its best season ever.

L1nk

He was available before we got Ole, should have been the appointment

I would have him here if PSG get rid, he's always been my first choice after we sacked Jose.

Eplel

Tuchel likes to spend. The Glazers don't. It would never work.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think he did a good job with them. He set them up well last night and they were executing the game plan perfectly until they missed too many chances and their confidence was shot a little which I would attribute more to naivety of the occassion rather than poor management. His assessment after the game was good too, it was clear after the first 20 minutes or so that whoever scored first in the game would most likely go onto win it.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The contain and counter tactics worked well in the first half. He was hamstrung somewhat by Verratti's injury as it didn't give him the option of taking control of midfield on the ball, which Bayern had through Thiago. As the game wore on though, it became obvious they needed a more natural target man presence to take in the long balls forced by Bayern's press. They also needed a penalty box reference point which was obvious when Neymar and Mbappe found space on the wings and had no real targets in the penalty box, having to check back into a cluttered midfield area. Had they somebody better than Choupo-Moting to call upon, I would have pulled Di Maria into midfield and replaced two of the CMs when Verratti came on.

Pep's Suit

Can't take them any further and possibly have only 1 or 2 years max of Neymar and Mbappe so yes, Tuchel should be replaced.

Haddock

I like the shape of his head. It reminds me of a Dan Clowes character design.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
To be fair he did a good job. Dominating the French league and getting to the CL final, being beat by one goal in a one-off as the team with the bigger chances. Something that can always happen in such games against top opponents, but from a coaching side there was nothing wrong.
He did plenty wrong in the second half

Still not enough to justify his sacking mind. He's made them into a top 4-5 side in the world, clearly doing a great job in terms of performances. Even last year against united it was individual feckups that cost them, not anything wrong from him

Guess there might be issues in the dressing room, or with the club

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He did plenty wrong in the second half

Still not enough to justify his sacking mind. He's made them into a top 4-5 side in the world, clearly doing a great job in terms of performances. Even last year against united it was individual feckups that cost them, not anything wrong from him

Guess there might be issues in the dressing room, or with the club
?

romufc

If he was our manager, fans would be asking what is his style..

Give the ball to Mbappe and Neymar and hope for the best?

Isn't that what the Ole Out accuse our team of? hope for individual brilliance?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
If he was our manager, fans would be asking what is his style..

Give the ball to Mbappe and Neymar and hope for the best?

Isn't that what the Ole Out accuse our team of? hope for individual brilliance?

I love how people don't take account the quality of the team in their analysis.

You're playing Bayen and start with Paredes/Herrera/Maquinhos in the mifdield + Kehrer and Bernat as full backs, what do you expect? Dominating players like Alcantara, Goretzka, Davies or Kimmich? Our team is totally unbalanced and trying to reach Neymar as fast as possible while being strong defensively is pretty much the only thing we could expect. We were playing a C1 final against the best team in the world atm, not copenhaguen in Europa League.

romufc

I love how people don't take account the quality of the team in their analysis.

You're playing Bayen and start with Paredes/Herrera/Maquinhos in the mifdield + Kehrer and Bernat as full backs, what do you expect? Dominating players like Alcantara, Goretzka, Davies or Kimmich? Our team is totally unbalanced and trying to reach Neymar as fast as possible while being strong defensively is pretty much the only thing we could expect. We were playing a C1 final against the best team in the world atm, not copenhaguen in Europa League.
I am not saying he Tuchel is a bad coach or anything.

I am just highlighting how a manager that some United fans want, played similar tactics to what Ole plays V the big teams and he is criticised.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I am not saying he Tuchel is a bad coach or anything.

I am just highlighting how a manager that some United fans want, played similar tactics to what Ole plays V the big teams and he is criticised.
Ok sorry if i misunderstood. The thing is, it takes a lot of fine tuning in your roster to be able to have an ambitious strategy with top top team, and ours is far from being up to par for at least 4 players out of 11, at one point you don't have much choice.

romufc

Ok sorry if i misunderstood. The thing is, it takes a lot of fine tuning in your roster to be able to have an ambitious strategy with top top team, and ours is far from being up to par for at least 4 players out of 11, at one point you don't have much choice.
You work with the tools you have, when you have alot of pace, you make use of it by counter attacking.

He has tried the other method and going for teams and failed over the years, so a change of approach looked like it could work

Bayern dominated the ball, but did they create loads of chances? I would say PSG had the better chances.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
You work with the tools you have, when you have alot of pace, you make use of it by counter attacking.

He has tried the other method and going for teams and failed over the years, so a change of approach looked like it could work

Bayern dominated the ball, but did they create loads of chances? I would say PSG had the better chances.
There's variations depending on what website you check but both teams are pretty much tied for expected goals. Considering how much better the Bayern roster is, that's not something to be ashamed of.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I would have him here if PSG get rid, he's always been my first choice after we sacked Jose.
Agree with this. Im very happy with Ole right now, but if the situation merited his removal, Tuchel would be high up on my list. I like his personality, calmness under pressure and ambition.

Lee565

I dont think he has done a bad job at psg, I look at that team against bayern yesterday and there are quite a few players in that side that aren't that great.

you have the young centre back and right back that both have big question mark's over their ability, bernat is a good attacking left back but he's not great, parades and Herrera are good players but nothing amazing, di Maria can be amazing one game but be underwhelming in the next one and marquinhos is definitely a good defensive midfielder but also very limited when he is playing there. Hell one of their back up subs was moting

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Overrated?

I think he's B or even C tier manager with an A tier squad playing against D tier teams.

monosierra

Overrated?

I think he's B or even C tier manager with an A tier squad playing against D tier teams.
He's not one of the more innovative minds around. As far as tactics, coaching, and player development goes - second tier amongst the world elite? A very safe pair of hands who can reliably compete but not a difference maker.

flappyjay

Overrated?

They have a very weak midfield especially if verratti isn't playing. Matic, Pogba and Vdb who were all on the bench for us would stroll into the psg lineup

Bojan11

He is on the brink too.

But that PSG team yesterday you just need to look at the midfield and realise they not going to create anything especially without the front two.