Thomas Tuchel | Gone to & from Bayern (In Summer)

caid

Managers tend not to last long under a new board. I'm kind of glad he isn't hanging around while things go south and bitchy.
Chelsea fans will remember him fondly, opposition fans will be glad hes gone and the manager leaves with a shitload of money and an improved reputation.

Chelsea is MAD

Managers tend not to last long under a new board. I'm kind of glad he isn't hanging around while things go south and bitchy.
Chelsea fans will remember him fondly, opposition fans will be glad hes gone and the manager leaves with a shitload of money and an improved reputation.
Im not sure he leaves with a better reputation for Major clubs. He had a history and reputation that he falls out hard with the boards, which is pretty obvious happened here also. To us fans he absolutley leaves with a great reputation, we love him. For any major clubs though, that red flag is there and even more glaring now. To be sacked so quickly after being backed so hard, something major broke down between him and the board. Thats a major red flag.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Matt Law gave an interview an hour or so ago I just saw. It offers quite a bit of further insight. Apparently, the ownership group was. VERY willing to embrace Tuchel when they took over, but they had a vision of him embracing a “different culture” at Chelsea. And Tuchel apparently didn’t like it … at all. Being involved in WhatsApp meetings over transfers with multiple people, being in a more collaborative environment, being asked to explain “why” he made a certain decision.

Matt said some Chelsea managers in the past have longed for that sort of thing. But Tuchel just wants to coach on the pitch and actually preferred the isolation he had under the previous regime. He apparently only really had to talk to two people outside his players and staff. Which is fair, if that’s what Tuchel prefers, the new group isn’t what he signed up for <—Matt’s point.

On the flip side, the Clearlake group have apparently spent a TON of time trying to build relationships throughout every level of the club, and that structure or culture is important to them. They’ve hit every detail, down to how the non football staff are included and treated. They became frustrated with Tuchels unwillingness to be part of what they are building. Which is also fair… it is their team. If they want Tuchel involved in things like the “game plans” Academy players now get for mapping a possible path to the first team, then that’s what they want from their manager.<— also Matt’s point.

Frustrations grew, and both sides felt undermined to a degree. Law says Boehly and Tuchel had not met or really spoken since the Leeds defeat. Boehly went behind Tuchels back on both Broja and Gilmour apparently, with Broja deciding to stay. But Matt thinks the decision to move away from Tuchel was essentially made back then. It was just a matter of figuring out what they wanted to do.

Apparently, while it surprised him, Tuchel took it very well. He may not think this the right squad for him to be with anymore either.

Whether fair or not, Tuchel is a tactical genius who simply doesn’t care about long term projects, or integrating youth with a plan, or working collaboratively. He doesn’t want to explain his thinking on decisions, and probably doesn’t think he should have to.

It was about 45 minutes. You can find it on YouTube. What I took away from it was they were naive in thinking they could convince Tuchel to be something he’s not. And if they were starting from scratch, neither party would choose the other.

If I had an experienced squad that just could t get over that last hump, I’d go search out Tuchel in a heartbeat.

But Potter (if it’s him) would suit this team and ownership MUCH more.

Throughout the interview I kept picturing Tuchel looking at Boehly like a grumpier, fat version of Ted Lasso, and sneering anytime he asked what he considered a dumb question.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
*Raises hand*
Not so much that I wanted him gone, but more that I thought he should and would go.

There are a variety of reasons, which I’ve explained in other threads, but the fact is he didn’t align with what they want, and he wasn’t their hire. That matters. It just does. But it matters more so when there are serious philosophical reasons involved.

Imagine if I told you the next coach wouldn’t have a position in how he lined up for Reece James? Most of you would go ballistic. Well, I think they feel the same way about Mount.

Tuchel wanted to go in a direction Mount doesn’t fit in. If you play him in a position he can play and fails that is one thing, but moving to a double 6 setup meant he had to play as one of the forward attackers. It didn’t work. They played him as one of the 6’s … that didn’t work. He would be ok with Kante back. Kante hid the flaws of playing Jorgihno AND Mount in Tuchels system. But unless there’s a major breakthrough in negotiations over salary, Kante might not be back after his latest injury once the Winter window hits.

Im not here to argue whether Mount is worthy of this type of consideration, but it is definitely at least one factor. Things started to build up steam as soon as Mounts contract negotiations started.

We needed a different player in midfield. I’m sure Clearlake were told Gilmour could be that guy when Kante wasn’t available. Tuchel tells them we are set in midfield. Then he says right at the end of the window that he’s essentially not going to play Gilmour (after he was given a squad number), and sanctioned his sale. We saw on Football Therapy, Chelsea Tv, and other sites deadline day reports of how mad Boehly was, and that he was trying to block the sale, both at least an hour before the “shock” sale was announced. Unless Tuchel was willing to play Zakaria, or let Chalobah occupy the middle and take up positions in the midfield, Mount was looking at consignment to sub at least until Kante returned.

There are a lot of other issues, but that certainly seems like a major one.

I don’t think they wanted to have an incumbent manager forced on them to begin with. But one you have communication and trust issues with?
If Boehly tried to stop the sale of Gilmour, why did it happen ?

redsunited

I had the impression for the whole transfer window (Chelsea fans and media) that Tuchel makes the decision on the players and Boehy fully supports the manager. Contrarily it seems Tuchel is not valued by Boehy. Even Roman was not trigger happy this early in the season. It would be interesting to hear from Chelsea, the reasons for sacking in the coming days.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
If Boehly tried to stop the sale of Gilmour, why did it happen ?
Because unlike Broja, Gilmour wanted it. He wants to play, and Brighton was a very good option for him.

He knew Tuchel would t play him. Ironically he wanted to play for …. Uh oh.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I had the impression for the whole transfer window (Chelsea fans and media) that Tuchel makes the decision on the players and Boehy fully supports the manager. Contrarily it seems Tuchel is not valued by Boehy. Even Roman was not trigger happy this early in the season. It would be interesting to hear from Chelsea, the reasons for sacking in the coming days.
I know it’s a loooomg read, but read the above post. They did try to back him. They did value him. But he didn’t want to be a part of what they envisioned. They didn’t want him enough to toss their plan for the club, the academy, everything really, out the window.

And I’ve been nice here. There were bits about his erratic temper and relationships with players and people at the club by mid Summer… stuff similar to what we’ve heard about at ALL his other stops, but I didn’t include those.

Knightmare7

Tuchel is like the Pochettino’s, Conte’s, Sarri’s, and Mourinho’s (modern era) of the world. They’re all above-average managers that I would never, ever want my club to hire unless we were in the midst of a classic ‘Wow we have the talent, we just can’t put it together and we need to bring someone fresh in NOW’ season. None of them will bring long-term success, they will wear out their welcome, they don’t play an exciting brand of football, and they lack the ability to work in a modern footballing system to sustain success.

Football isn’t what it was when Ferguson managed. You need to have cutting-edge analytics, deep scouting networks, a director of football, roadmaps for academy players to reach the first team, the ability to rebuild on the fly, and stunning squad depth to compete in 4 competitions at any given time, along with deep pockets. You need to be able to juggle all of these at once.

If you’re a tactically brilliant manager in 2022 who can’t appreciate those other elements of the job, you are not fit to manage a top EPL team. That’s why many of these managers flee to France or Italy, where you can get away with winning a Scudetto while also financially running a squad into the ground with no eye towards the future, or where you can count on financially overwhelming your opposition.

Does anyone here actually think Tuchel plays exciting football? That he can build a juggernaut on the level of City or Liverpool that can compete year in and year out? That he understands that he’s but one cog in the chelsea football machine and that to succeed he has to be willing to work with the other parts?

The performances on the pitch since that champions league victory tell you the answers to all of those questions.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Tuchel is like the Pochettino’s, Conte’s, Sarri’s, and Mourinho’s (modern era) of the world. They’re all above-average managers that I would never, ever want my club to hire unless we were in the midst of a classic ‘Wow we have the talent, we just can’t put it together and we need to bring someone fresh in NOW’ season. None of them will bring long-term success, they will wear out their welcome, they don’t play an exciting brand of football, and they lack the ability to work in a modern footballing system to sustain success.

Football isn’t what it was when Ferguson managed. You need to have cutting-edge analytics, deep scouting networks, a director of football, roadmaps for academy players to reach the first team, the ability to rebuild on the fly, and stunning squad depth to compete in 4 competitions at any given time, along with deep pockets. You need to be able to juggle all of these at once.

If you’re a tactically brilliant manager in 2022 who can’t appreciate those other elements of the job, you are not fit to manage a top EPL team. That’s why many of these managers flee to France or Italy, where you can get away with winning a Scudetto while also financially running a squad into the ground with no eye towards the future, or where you can count on financially overwhelming your opposition.

Does anyone here actually think Tuchel plays exciting football? That he can build a juggernaut on the level of City or Liverpool that can compete year in and year out? That he understands that he’s but one cog in the chelsea football machine and that to succeed he has to be willing to work with the other parts?

The performances on the pitch since that champions league victory tell you the answers to all of those questions.
Tuchel is a manager of details, so not sure quite what you are on about here?

The Italian league is full of tactical managers, managers who utilise every stat, analysis and minimal gain to get success. Embarrassing to say otherwise.

Tuchel has been sacked for a poor run of form stretching back from last season, this poor run of form still managed to get Chelsea top three and into a cup final, not too bad really. The sacking owed more to the upheaval behind the scenes then Tuchel himself.

santeria13

Sublemon
I think it the sense of general progression and how his team seems to be getting better every season. It was the other way around with Ole and Jose.
Is finishing 5th, with 0 trophies, after 3 years to mould the team to his shape, considered progress these days?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Social media land saying players not posted any “thanks” messages apart from Fofana putting a pic of Tuchel up
Was perhaps just a bit early. If the stuff I've seen were official accounts (I think so), there's been an outpouring of Thank You messages from the squad, old and new guys.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Wait what?
I would of dreamed of having Tuchel or Conte at Utd last season and even before that. They had success everywhere they went.
Let's just leave the Ferguson comparison aside, time has passed, football has changed and we can't live only in the past.

Big teams like Bayern, Real or Barca change managers all the time and win trophies left and right.

Dr. StrangeHate

Wait what?
I would of dreamed of having Tuchel or Conte at Utd last season and even before that. They had success everywhere they went.
Let's just leave the Ferguson comparison aside, time has passed, football has changed and we can't live only in the past.

Big teams like Bayern, Real or Barca change managers all the time and win trophies left and right.
But they don't win trophies in the centre which is a big downside of this approach.

Lyng

Smaller teams like Chelsea as well!
I think there is a massive difference if you compare Real and Bayern and Chelsea before Boehly, to this Chelsea move now.
Before this there was a clear structure behind everything in Chelsea, much like Real and Bayern have a clear and strong structure. There is a clear philosophy that they get players after and managers. And when those managers dont fit anymore its no issue getting rid and getting a new one, because the structure and philosophy remains.
Chelsea now got rid of the structure and put much more on Tuchel and even had him be the main decider on transfers and THEN they fired him.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think there is a massive difference if you compare Real and Bayern and Chelsea before Boehly, to this Chelsea move now.
Before this there was a clear structure behind everything in Chelsea, much like Real and Bayern have a clear and strong structure. There is a clear philosophy that they get players after and managers. And when those managers dont fit anymore its no issue getting rid and getting a new one, because the structure and philosophy remains.
Chelsea now got rid of the structure and put much more on Tuchel and even had him be the main decider on transfers and THEN they fired him.
Yep this seems to be overlooked by many

This is different than the usual Chelsea sackings.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Suddenly there are 2 good managers out of a job, Tuchel and Poch, i would imagine there may be some itchy fingers hovering over the fire button at some big clubs.

MuFc_1992

Is finishing 5th, with 0 trophies, after 3 years to mould the team to his shape, considered progress these days?
Compared to freefall we went under Ole and Jose? Yes absolutely. Let's be honest here, Ole would still be here if he finished 4th last season even after finishing 2nd the season before. Arteta finished 5th after finishing 8th which can be seen as progression by the owners and the fans hence, he's still in the job. Arsenal last finished inside top 4 in 2015-16 and the team Arteta inherited was nowhere near the other top 4 teams so, the expectations for him were set based on that. The 5th place finish last season where they almost qualified for the CL was seen as a huge progress by their fanbase. Based on your logic Arteta should be let go for finishing 1 point behind 4th place because it has been 3 seasons and he's out of time?

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
We’ll, yes, but that’s because he didn’t actually DO the job after it was given to him. He asked for it, then refused to DO it. And even the little bit he did do left him frazzled and out of balance as a coach.

Ben Jacobs just confirmed, again, that Tuchel asked to have that extra power. He did not want to work under a DoF. But then his idea of getting involved with transfers was a thumbs up or thumbs down emoji;he tried to pawn off those responsibilities to assistants, or just ignore them altogether. He didn’t get involved in the transfers in even the way you saw Xavi.

He wanted to have no one telling him what to do, and power over decisions without doing any of the other work and communicating involved with that job. It destroyed the relationship with the owners, it affected his ability to coach, and hurt his relationship with a lot of the players.

This should be a “beware what you wish for” moment for Tuchel. If you are someone that JUST wants to coach? Great. But then you need to be willing to work with someone willing to actually do the other parts of the job like a Director.

Lyng

We’ll, yes, but that’s because he didn’t actually DO the job after it was given to him. He asked for it, then refused to DO it. And even the little bit he did do left him frazzled and out of balance as a coach.

Ben Jacobs just confirmed, again, that Tuchel asked to have that extra power. He did not want to work under a DoF. But then his idea of getting involved with transfers was a thumbs up or thumbs down emoji;he tried to pawn off those responsibilities to assistants, or just ignore them altogether. He didn’t get involved in the transfers in even the way you saw Xavi.

He wanted to have no one telling him what to do, and power over decisions without doing any of the other work and communicating involved with that job. It destroyed the relationship with the owners, it affected his ability to coach, and hurt his relationship with a lot of the players.

This should be a “beware what you wish for” moment for Tuchel. If you are someone that JUST wants to coach? Great. But then you need to be willing to work with someone willing to actually do the other parts of the job like a Director.
I have a hard time believing that given we had several reports of Tuchel complaining about Cechs sacking. Isnt Ben jacobs chelseas mouthpiece?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I have a hard time believing that given we had several reports of Tuchel complaining about Cechs sacking. Isnt Ben jacobs chelseas mouthpiece?
Keep the timeline in mind. Cech and Granovskaia were gone very quickly, the described development likely happened when they were gone.

That he didn't want to work under a DoF selected by the new ownership might already have been the result of initial distrust? Like "before they make an idiot my new boss I'll do it myself"?

Lyng

Keep the timeline in mind. Cech and Granovskaia were gone very quickly, the described development likely happened when they were gone.
My issue with this whole narrative is that we never heard any issues between them while Abramovich was owner. All of these issues and Tuchel changing in attitude began after Boehly came in.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
My issue with this whole narrative is that we never heard any issues between them while Abramovich was owner. All of these issues and Tuchel changing in attitude began after Boehly came in.
You are too fast, I updated my post :lol:

Yes I don't think he has an issue working under a competent DoF, it was actually what he publicly liked about the Chelsea setup. I think he just didn't trust the new ownership to get the right structure in place again, and if they started their relation like that and then clashed over players like Ronaldo, it could only result in a downward spiral.

TheReligion

Abusive
Exactly. He was being rightly praised during the end of last season with how he’d become Chelsea’s spokesperson and led the club through a very rocky period.

It now seems some are happy to throw him under the bus and totally align themselves to Boehly.

Suedesi

His record as Chelsea manager.

100 games (3 trophies won)

63 wins
19 Draws
18 defeats
49 clean sheets
First 50 gamesLast 50 games
32Wins28
11Draws13
7Losses9
81Goals For87
24 Goals Against53
31Clean Sheets18
(opta)

You can see the negative trend in his last 50 games

Suedesi

Tuchel is fecked at big clubs imo. He should stick to mid tier clubs that have less volatile owners, since he himself is a volatile manager.
He'd be good in stable environments as long as he's got no recruiting duties and feels the backing of the board. Chelsea after Roman, Marina, Peter Cech, etc left the ship was always going to be a struggle

Last edited:

Knightmare7

Wait what?

Yes, and everyone who dreamed of having Tuchel or Conte should be ashamed. They have no idea how to build a squad. You think they would have pushed for Malacia or Antony? Does anyone actually think United would have a better record now under either of them rather than ETH?

Fans will literally sit and cycle through the same hang average managers rather than try something new.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yes, and everyone who dreamed of having Tuchel or Conte should be ashamed. They have no idea how to build a squad. You think they would have pushed for Malacia or Antony? Does anyone actually think United would have a better record now under either of them rather than ETH?

Fans will literally sit and cycle through the same hang average managers rather than try something new.
Building a squad isn't what you hire them for, coaching a squad is.

But yes, anyone who wanted them before first signing a truly competent DoF doesn't understand their value and abilities.

Knightmare7

Tuchel is a manager of details, so not sure quite what you are on about here?

The Italian league is full of tactical managers, managers who utilise every stat, analysis and minimal gain to get success. Embarrassing to say otherwise.

Tuchel has been sacked for a poor run of form stretching back from last season, this poor run of form still managed to get Chelsea top three and into a cup final, not too bad really. The sacking owed more to the upheaval behind the scenes then Tuchel himself.
Right and wrong.

Tuchel was sacked because he was unable to properly cooperate with the new front office, because they wanted him to explain certain transfer decisions and he didn’t believe that to be necessary, because he pushed for record signings that were laughable, and because he wasn’t putting incredibly valuable players in a position to succeed, and the loss was just a convenient time to part ways.

I’m not sure about you, but if my manager is in his third season and we’re celebrating missing first and second place by 20+ points, then there’s a problem. Can you honestly sit here and say Chelsea was ever going to challenge City for a title?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Right and wrong.

Tuchel was sacked because he was unable to properly cooperate with the new front office, because they wanted him to explain certain transfer decisions and he didn’t believe that to be necessary, because he pushed for record signings that were laughable, and because he wasn’t putting incredibly valuable players in a position to succeed, and the loss was just a convenient time to part ways.

I’m not sure about you, but if my manager is in his third season and we’re celebrating missing first and second place by 20+ points, then there’s a problem. Can you honestly sit here and say Chelsea was ever going to challenge City for a title?
No they weren't, but then only one team has challenged City for the title on the last 5 years, so a modicum of realism has to be at play here.

I'm not debating that Tuchel should have been doing better, his last 25 games haven't been great, but should that lead to the manager being sacked when they are still highly competitive with domestic trophies a real achievable aim?

There seems to be a lot more behind the scenes than what has really come to light.

I'm fully behind a manager who after two seasons at the helm claims he knows more than an owner who has never been involved in premiership football before.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Hoping to get anyone better than tuchel by many chelsea fans they will get a big slap.

Potter ffs. No experience to manage teams in Europe . Not managed bigger squad before.

Todd think he is messiah.Brighton always got space to attack. Teams like them thrived as underdogs and opponents always try to get front foot against them. Todd made a biggest mistake by sacking tuchel.

I think we will finish around 7-10 th. Good bye Europe.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Your way of understanding football is odd.
I personally would of chosen Tuchel or Conte over Ole or Rangnick any day of the week. I can't project what would any of them would have done at Utd but I can assume that it would have been a better job. Conte and Tuchel won trophies in major leagues RECENTLY if that is average than yeah right.

It's difficult to judge ETH at this point as it is too soon and what ETH did until now with the results he got and players he bought is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Much more football has to be played in order to properly asses his work.

Please explain what is something new in terms of management.