Thomas Tuchel | Gone to & from Bayern (In Summer)

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Would be awesome to see him landing a top job so quickly.
Indeed... and what a failure it would be for Nagelsmann (and Salihamidzic, who payed more than 20m to get him from Leipzig)

Cloud7

I wonder where Nagelsmann goes from this if true. He was (quite rightly) hailed as the next big thing. He got his shot at a top club and it's not gone all that well. He likely goes to a club one tier down and hopefully reassesses his methods and builds again, but I wonder if he manages to get back to a top club again, or if he goes the way of someone like AVB who never recovered from the Chelsea and Spurs stints

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I wonder where Nagelsmann goes from this if true. He was (quite rightly) hailed as the next big thing. He got his shot at a top club and it's not gone all that well. He likely goes to a club one tier down and hopefully reassesses his methods and builds again, but I wonder if he manages to get back to a top club again, or if he goes the way of someone like AVB who never recovered from the Chelsea and Spurs stints
AVB had a terrific assistant named Vitor Pereira who has an insane training, tactical and high performance knowledge. If he had kept him as assistant, his career would had been very different.

Nagelsmann is a bit better in those fields, IMO. But Tuchel is an old Bayer dream, things might be in motion.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
AVB had a terrific assistant named Vitor Pereira who has an insane training, tactical and high performance knowledge. If he had kept him as assistant, his career would had been very different.

Nagelsmann is a bit better in those fields, IMO. But Tuchel is an old Bayer dream, things might be in motion.
The further Nagelsmann's career goes, the less impressive it looks.

Getting Hoffenheim into the CL was amazing and unexpected, what he did for Leipzig was good work, but he couldn't get them to win them the first title (which Tedesco did this summer by winning the German cup, after Nagelsmann had lost the final the season before), so there he has no true legacy, and now an unimpressive first season followed by a quite bad start to the league in his second season. His ideas how to evolve the team don't really seem to work, so far he only made Mane into a new Timo Werner (always scoring offside goals), but can't get them to win continuously.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This would be funny. Sacked by Chelsea only to gain a promotion by landing himself a job at a bigger and better club.
He did exactly that when he went from PSG --> Chelsea, so it would seem he has a knack of "failing" upwards if he goes to Bayern.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Amazon should do a All or Nothing season with Bayern if Tuchel ends up joining there, would be 'prime' drama.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Certainly seems like a shortage of top managers, I expect he'll get a choice appointment.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Bayern would be an excellent stop for him, and a good fit for Bayern. Wish him all the best .

justsomebloke

Who knows, maybe Leicester or Villa....

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We hated Bates, we loved Roman and the jury is out on the new lot but they are absolutely being given the benefit of the doubt.

Of course I understand why most Man United fans hate the Glazers but hating your owners is not the norm.
DELETED CONTENT

Last edited by a moderator:

Hughie77

How some think it's a upward step from PSG to Chelsea? Maybe a side ways step when Tuchel went there, The guy did feck all wrong imo and they sack him! Is this New owner just a puppet of Abramovichs , it's smells like it . Potter is a very good manager is he able to control the big egos that is at a club like Chelsea.

There was a very good manager at Everton who we got look what happened there and Potter has done the same taken every backroom staff as well, hope he does well he's comes across as a nice guy. But I think Chelsea are a basket case of a club.. but they get it right sacking managers !

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Getting Hoffenheim into the CL was amazing and unexpected, what he did for Leipzig was good work, but he couldn't get them to win them the first title (which Tedesco did this summer by winning the German cup, after Nagelsmann had lost the final the season before), so there he has no true legacy, and now an unimpressive first season followed by a quite bad start to the league in his second season. His ideas how to evolve the team don't really seem to work, so far he only made Mane into a new Timo Werner (always scoring offside goals), but can't get them to win continuously.
His Bayern side last season made a solid season until the last third of the season. But looking Bayern playing they seem to have a very extreme style that takes a huge toll on players endurance and mental exhaustion. It's hard enough for a player to have several functions during a match, and he asks them to have some rotation between them.

Beyond that, if the first line of pressure fails, the wide areas have tons of space for the opponents to build-up the attack, leading their players to make extra efforts to balance the numbers on that area of the pitch.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
How some think it's a upward step from PSG to Chelsea? Maybe a side ways step when Tuchel went there, The guy did feck all wrong imo and they sack him! Is this New owner just a puppet of Abramovichs , it's smells like it . Potter is a very good manager is he able to control the big egos that is at a club like Chelsea.

There was a very good manager at Everton who we got look what happened there and Potter has done the same taken every backroom staff as well, hope he does well he's comes across as a nice guy. But I think Chelsea are a basket case of a club.. but they get it right sacking managers !
Yes.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
His Bayern side last season made a solid season until the last third of the season. But looking Bayern playing they seem to have a very extreme style that takes a huge toll on players endurance and mental exhaustion. It's hard enough for a player to have several functions during a match, and he asks them to have some rotation between them.

Beyond that, if the first line of pressure fails, the wide areas have tons of space for the opponents to build-up the attack, leading their players to make extra efforts to balance the numbers on that area of the pitch.
Yes the last third of the season was bad. But in the first third there was the inexcusable 0-5 in the second cup round against Mönchengladbach.

Chief123

I don’t think I’ve seen a situation like this where most fans were unhappy to see a manager get sacked. It doesn’t bode well for Potter who would probably get less slack and patience from fans than if he had come in after a “failed” manager in the fans eyes.

Closest I can think of is Ranieri getting sacked at Leicester but even then most fans accepted it was no longer working out.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Closest I can think of is Ranieri getting sacked at Leicester but even then most fans accepted it was no longer working out.
This is were most of the fans I interact are at. They still respect and like Tuchel, but the more that comes out, it was never going to work out.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
This is were most of the fans I interact are at. They still respect and like Tuchel, but the more that comes out, it was never going to work out.
Which is being misconstrued by some as we are happy he was sacked. Simply not the case.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Can recommend Chelsea fans to look for Rio's BT Sports interview with Tuchel from not long before the sack. Easy to find full length.

They talk plans for the nearest future (well...), communication with owners, strengths and weaknesses of the 343, Reece James, and lots of miscellaneous/retrospective stuff. Pretty interesting watch, especially knowing what would happen shortly afterwards.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

Yeah agree re Nagelsmann’s career, I personally don’t get why he was so ridiculously highly rated apart from his age although that’s a bit different for managers (it’s not like you have a peak). He clearly has a lot of ideas and is very creative with trying to figure out tactical problems but RBL spent heavily and recruited incredibly well yet his RBL team never beat their points record from their debut season in the BL and as you say another coach has come in and won a cup quickly. That doesn’t mean he’s bad, I just don’t think he’s that amazing.

Wilt

If we are struggling at Christmas should we appoint him ? He was ranked top 3 managers in the world on here a few months ago.
Definitely, even though he’d most likely only last a couple of years.

*Can’t imagine ETH failing bad enough to be replaced so soon.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
We didn't buy a 100m winger to play as a wing back. And feck his 5 atb system.
Only used this formation because the team was familiar with it, then sticked with it after the huge success.

At Dortmund and Mainz, Tuchel played in a 4-1-4-1 formation, at PSG he played many different line ups. 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, 4-1-4-1, ...

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Only used this formation because the team was familiar with it, then sticked with it after the huge success.

At Dortmund and Mainz, Tuchel played in a 4-1-4-1 formation, at PSG he played many different line ups. 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, 4-1-4-1, ...
He played a lot more formations, I don't think 4141 was his most used in Mainz, that would be the 4231. But he also fielded flat or diamond 442s, sometimes even his Chelsea 3421.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Even at Chelsea, he switched it up sometimes. He's not married to the back 3 as some might think, in fact he was showing signs of wanting to move away from it before he was sacked.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Even at Chelsea, he switched it up sometimes. He's not married to the back 3 as some might think, in fact he was showing signs of wanting to move away from it before he was sacked.
In the Rio interview he says Reece James's ideal position would be back 4 RB, flexibly using the whole range of his game to adapt to situations and different midfield constellations. Sounded like this was his long-term vision for him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I like Tuchel but man do I hope he stinks up the place at Bayern. Let there be carnage please

Robbie Boy

Happy he didn't go to Spurs. Would definitely have helped them with their top four bid. Hopefully Conte stays and burns the place down.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Happy he didn't go to Spurs. Would definitely have helped them with their top four bid. Hopefully Conte stays and burns the place down.
Was never in doubt. Everyone rejects spurs. I think it ended up being about 7 managers turned that them down when they fired mourinho.

always_hoping

Thinking behind that appointment? Won the Champions league with Chelsea and brought a flaky and ego driven PSG to the final then why can't he win it Bayern? Personally I'll just be happy if Tuchel ends Peps Champions league dreams with City once again.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I think he'll be very successful at Bayern but will inevitably end up falling out with the club hierarchy