Thomas Tuchel | Gone to & from Bayern (In Summer)

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel’s wife is not seen often but he married up for sure!

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Is this a record in European football or has some other manager managed a longer streak?
just to add: he also reached both league cup finals (won the second)in his two years at Dortmund.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
just to add: he also reached both league cup finals (won the second)in his two years at Dortmund.
Just the cup, there is no additional league cup in Germany (there used to be, but it was already gone by the time he managed Dortmund)

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Isn't the discussion about his consecutive finals without missing one that he could've legitimately reached?

I presume the CL Final 2019 was the last one he didn't reach that was actually possible for him.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
To think people didn't rate this guy over our previous manager.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I cba to check but Pep did it with Barca surely?
I think the problem may be CL finals. Pep never did back to back. Zidane probably has more chance. I guess it will depend on Real's Copa del Ray performances during that period.

Pintu

I think the problem may be CL finals. Pep never did back to back. Zidane probably has more chance. I guess it will depend on Real's Copa del Ray performances during that period.
Well, Zidane reached 5 finals and won many titles (A total of 9) during those 3 years. But just like his mentor Lippi and like Capello in the 90:s, he never reached a Copa final parallel to the run of 3 consecutive CL-finals.

The closest I can think of is Heynckes who played 4 back to back finals in 2012 and 2013. But left too soon to add the FIFA club World Cup. When he came back as care-taker in 2019 he reached another Cup final, making it 5 in a row but got robbed by Madrid in the CL semi-final .

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Well, Zidane reached 5 finals and won many titles (A total of 9) during those 3 years. But just like his mentor Lippi and like Capello in the 90:s, he never reached a Copa final parallel to the run of 3 consecutive CL-finals.

The closest I can think of is Heynckes who played 4 back to back finals in 2012 and 2013. But left too soon to add the FIFA club World Cup. When he came back as care-taker in 2019 he reached another Cup final, making it 5 in a row but got robbed by Madrid in the CL semi-final .
Not sure the FCWC counts, as you start getting into the discussion as to whether Super Cups, Community Shields etc count.

One thing that could be taken back from Tuchel is the League Cups as they don't exist in Italy, Spain and Germany (although not sure when Germany ended theirs.)

Was Heynckes including League Cups?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Not sure the FCWC counts, as you start getting into the discussion as to whether Super Cups, Community Shields etc count.

One thing that could be taken back from Tuchel is the League Cups as they don't exist in Italy, Spain and Germany (although not sure when Germany ended theirs.)

Nope, that existed only 1997-2007.

Pintu

No, the 5 finals Heynckes reached in a row are 2 CL and 3 DFB. (The FA Cup equivalent)

France also abolished the League Cup competition in 2020.

I just came to think of it now, Mourinho did the same with Porto
2003 : won UEFA and Taça de Portugal
2004: won the CL and lost the Taça final to Benfica.

If we are still counting League Cup, he reached the final in his first season with Chelsea, making that 5 consecutive finals.

Reactions: Kentonio

Zoo

Very disappointing in a game they almost certainly needed to win to keep alive any title challenge. And leaving Mount on the bench for 78 minutes was ridiculous.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
We lost the league with all the players out we had during December. We are definitely in a better place than where we were a month ago but not having James and Chilwell is killing us. Our wingers are doubled up and isolated because they have absolutely no support from the old & slow Azpilicueta/Alonso. We should have enough to beat most teams with individual quality but against teams like city we need the unit to function perfectly and that can't happen with our current wing back situation. It might be time to consider a different formation for the big games.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
1 win in 6. 3 wins in 10. Pisstake draws in all three cups masking his shortcomings in the league.

marfans

Supports
Chelsea FC
1 win in 6. 3 wins in 10. Pisstake draws in all three cups masking his shortcomings in the league.
I don’t care, we still love him at Chelsea. People expect him to compete with Pep and Klopp who are in their 6th season. Keeping him at Chelsea is paramount.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Much deserved loss, for all his plaudits he sure has a tendency to play cowardly negative football, it was understandable given the mess that they were in last year and his achievements but it's becoming very tiresome at this point. Not a matter of man power either as klopp for all his shortcomings never reaorted to such cowardly football and he had much less to work with compared to tuchel.

His insistence on playing lukaku and his almost mourhinio like inclinations may be his ultimate undoing at chelsea, but he has plenty of time to sort those issues out.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Will he ever recover from drawing against Carrick?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I mean our inquiry/covid list was ridiculous in December. That's essentially when we started the skid. I'm happy with where we are as a team for the rest of the season , now that both City and Liverpool games are out of the way.

Lecland07

Winning the league would have been incredible had Tuchel managed it this season. It was probably too early, considering the place they came from when he took over.

I think they are really missing the attacking abilities of Chillwell and James. Alonso and Azpilicueta cannot replace what they were doing earlier in the season.

Their attack is an issue, though. None of them seem to be working.

Chairman Steve

Didn't hold back on Lukaku did he:lol:
Just read about that. While it’s a legit point, can you afford to publicly criticise the £100m forward you bought? Everyone also knows now that Lukaku isn’t afraid to speak his mind either so another round of shit flinging?

Did Tuchel even want Lukaku if he’s saying that about him? Is this another ‘Abramovich going off script‘ buy?

Telsim

Messed it up, but he is still the best thing to happen to Chelsea in recent times. Curious to see if he gets an axe or a wallet in the summer, if they don't win anything.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not sure I get the criticism. Came up against a better team managed by a better manager, away from home, and the game was relatively tight, separated by a goal their other keeper would likely have saved.

I don't think the way to beat this City team is by going toe to toe with them.

I'd also be surprised if he was really the one who asked for Lukaku. I mean, a very tactically limited player for 100m.

Ranger2d

If Chelsea do let him go, United need to pounce. He would work well with Ralf

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Isn't the discussion about his consecutive finals without missing one that he could've legitimately reached?

I presume the CL Final 2019 was the last one he didn't reach that was actually possible for him.
It was, although it wasn't really a discussion but a mere fact. I mentioned those cup finals since it just underlines Tuchel having a good cup record.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Evil Lukaku holding Tuchel back :(
To be fair those chances he had, even though they were small moments, were absolutely terrible. He had a great chance to put them ahead and fluffed it up.

That said Chelsea were generally pretty poor today.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
To be fair those chances he had, even though they were small moments, were absolutely terrible. He had a great chance to put them ahead and fluffed it up.

That said Chelsea were generally pretty poor today.
I'm not even saying Lukaku was great, he could have done better with those two chances. That's not his skillset though and we all knew this before he signed. But very few teams have this ultraclinical striker (City and Liverpool don't have it either), so I can ask why Chelsea haven't adapted to get the best out of Lukaku.

He's just become this excellent heat shield Tuchel and the rest of the Chelsea team get to hide behind (there's a joke here somewhere). They were billed as title favorites by many before a ball was kicked this season, and are 13 points behind 1st place at the midway point season. Sure, injuries and COVID, but they reportedly had the deepest squad.

And the way they got dominated by City today was pathetic (reminded me of the infamous Conte game), probably only Silva escapes with any credit, him and Kovacic. Kante got away (like he usually does) with providing no sort of linkage between defense and attack. Ziyech was abysmal. Pulisic was AWOL. I was shocked Alonso wasn't sent off. Kepa :lol:... If this many players are underperforming then usually fingers get pointed at the manager, and yes there are extenuating circumstances, and of course he doesn't deserve the sack, but for a world class manager, he seems to be getting let off by supporters, the media, in a way that's been baffling to see over the past few weeks.

And as the cherry on top, I'm supposed to believe that Lukaku is holding Chelsea back? From what exactly?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think he has been poor in the league since arriving to be honest, bar a period in the middle where that defended very well. They are also very boring to watch.

He has also failed to get a song out of more than 200 millions worth of attacking talent in Lukaku, Werner and Havertz.

Modern day George Graham ;)

tjb

We lost the league with all the players out we had during December. We are definitely in a better place than where we were a month ago but not having James and Chilwell is killing us. Our wingers are doubled up and isolated because they have absolutely no support from the old & slow Azpilicueta/Alonso. We should have enough to beat most teams with individual quality but against teams like city we need the unit to function perfectly and that can't happen with our current wing back situation. It might be time to consider a different formation for the big games.
That's the cost of relying on wing backs. Good ones are rather rare, so when they're out or go missing, especially if their width and combination play are the lifeblood of your teams attacks, it hurts the team a lot. What's clear here is that Chelsea's attacking players were not responsible for their form, and the defence is now under more pressure because their not bombarding teams as much, which is exposing the weak third defender that Chelsea has been carrying. What's good is that it shows that the system is so good that it can hide some attacking in defensive weaknesses, but it requires good depth at wing back which is hard to find.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Chelsea is a cup-team under Tuchel, while they may lack in consistency for a league, they are a difficult side to face in cups.
Not a bad place to be in honestly, and nobody can be expected to keep up with this City-side over 38 games anyway.