Thomas Tuchel | Gone to & from Bayern (In Summer)

MichaelB1807

What I find funny is that some people here suggests that TT is over rated yet they rate Klopp so much when last season he lost about 5-6 straight home games, suddenly he is genius this season.
We at Chelsea love TT and wants him to stay for 10yrs.
Hardly comparable. You are missing Chilwell, Klopp was missing his whole defence and playing midfielders in defence. Not to mention the costs of the two squads.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hardly comparable. You are missing Chilwell, Klopp was missing his whole defence and playing midfielders in defence. Not to mention the costs of the two squads.
They had big centre back problems, which coupled with no fans and quick turnaround of games utterly ruined their season.

But don't overdo it, it wasn't their whole defence. Keeper and full backs were there most weeks.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They had big centre back problems, which coupled with no fans and quick turnaround of games utterly ruined their season.

But don't overdo it, it wasn't their whole defence. Keeper and full backs were there most weeks.
Robertson played every league game, Trent missed 2 last season.

"Missing his whole defence". Lord give me strength!

Liverpool had centre back problems and it ruined their season. Chelsea were top of the league before our full back problems ruined ours.

It's Tuchels job to deal with the injuries and challenge for the title but he couldn't, just like Klopp last season. It happens.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Also, if the Russian gangster is in in control, Tuchel is 100% gone; he does not invest such vast sums on money to be sweating for 4th
Jose's first season back.

£50m spent (a lot for the pre Neymar to PSG market).
Won nothing.
Finished below Brendan Rodgers and didn't mathematically secure top four until MD37.
Kept his job.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
This myth needs to die. He had Matip for the whole of the season. VvD got his injury late October (3 months into the season), Gomez got his during the November intl break (so even later).

jackal&hyde

Jose's first season back.

£50m spent (a lot for the pre Neymar to PSG market).
Won nothing.
Finished below Brendan Rodgers and didn't mathematically secure top four until MD37.
Kept his job.
Bit of a different connection with Jose, especially at the time given his success. Probably the only manager that could have done that.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The usual when any criticism of Chelsea comes out. Make comparisons to United.

Not sure why people can’t judge these things in isolation. Ultimately if Chelsea don’t win the FA cup it will be a failure of a season.
Two trophies including our first Club World Cup is far from a failure. I understand oppo fans thinking such a thing, but no Chelsea fan would view this year as that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This myth needs to die. He had Matip for the whole of the season. VvD got his injury late October (3 months into the season), Gomez got his during the November intl break (so even later).
Utter horseshte mate.
Matip played 12 games last season!

They were playing some kid who was out on loan to non league for a number off games with Nat Phillips :)

As much as we want to put it all down to Van Dyk being out, he, Matip, Gomez and then the chumps they brought in also missed massive swathes of games.

TheReligion

Abusive
Two trophies including our first Club World Cup is far from a failure. I understand oppo fans thinking such a thing, but no Chelsea fan would view this year as that.
Don’t be daft. It’s a failure. The super cup and club WC aren’t major trophies. Based on the end of the last season and the huge out lay on Lukaku you were expected to challenge City and Liverpool yet have fallen well short.

As I say winning the FA cup would help massively but if you end the season essentially with nothing and closer to 4th than 2nd it’s been a failure no two ways about it.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Failure sounds a bit too harsh given the circumstances but missed opportunity nevertheless. If we get the FA cup it'll be a quite successful season after all given the circumstances. But we would need to finish third as well. Just because lots of people thought we could go toe to toe with Pool and City doesn't make it more realistic. Chelsea's top XI I'd say would challenge the title but football doesn't work that way.

I also doubt we would have seen those massive drops performance wise in the last couple of matches if we still had a real shot at the title. But Liverpool and City are in a class of their own and still will be next season if nothing spectacular happens - as much as people would like to see that duopoly disrupted.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Nothing from this point till the end of the season (other than a total collapse) that would convince me he's not the right man for the job. Considering all the ownership chaos we just need to get to the end of the season and let him get on with building for next year.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Don’t be daft. It’s a failure. The super cup and club WC aren’t major trophies. Based on the end of the last season and the huge out lay on Lukaku you were expected to challenge City and Liverpool yet have fallen well short.

As I say winning the FA cup would help massively but if you end the season essentially with nothing and closer to 4th than 2nd it’s been a failure no two ways about it.
It was pretty fast to see that Lukaku was not going to add anything to the mix, even if we were hopeful. I do not like the way we are winding down the season, but with the sale of the club, it was always going to take a toll. I think the vast majority of Chelsea fans are overall happy and enjoy what lies ahead with Tuchel.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t think he’s anywhere near the sack but I do think he’s got a big job to do in the summer. It will also be interesting to see what the new owners give him to spend.
That is the big question. I think Boehlys lot will give him a hefty budget. Plus kinda hoping that being new owners theyll want to make a splash and bring in one or 2 marquee signings, to make a quick impression.

Think another thing which has derailed TT these last few weeks/months is players agreeing deals to move and continuing to be picked. Heads maybe no longer in it. Not a good situation. Christensen, Azpi perhaps, now Rudiger. And all 3 are making silly mistakes here and there, albeit some more often than others. Of course Chilwell and James being out was massive, too

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Nothing from this point till the end of the season (other than a total collapse) that would convince me he's not the right man for the job. Considering all the ownership chaos we just need to get to the end of the season and let him get on with building for next year.
100% Boehly and his team just need to back him, and back him well like he asked in one of the recent press conferences. The cliche "its his his team yet" is so old, but really rings true at the moment. Should he be backed with 200m in the summer plus whatever we make in sales, and then flounder he will probably be on thin ice. But i really think he could build a excellent team

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Arsenal are 3 points behind chelsea with a 10 times worse squad.
Tuchel is very overrated and will soon get the sack once the ownership situation settles down.
Arsenal haven't played in the Champions league quarter final, League cup final, Super cup, Fifa club cup and got to a FA Cup final though.
Arsenal have been able to concentrate purely on the premier league.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I actually think he would have been better off had he not gone for big rom and gotten someone more conducive to his style of play.
Ownership problems didn't help either.
Overall not a smashing success this season for them lot but not too bad either.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He's an excellent manager. It'll be interesting to see what moves they make in the summer and what kind of players he targets (as well as how much he gets to spend).

I actually think he would have been better off had he not gone for big rom and gotten someone more conducive to his style of play.
Ownership problems didn't help either.
Undoubtedly, not sure what the thinking there was.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
100% Boehly and his team just need to back him, and back him well like he asked in one of the recent press conferences. The cliche "its his his team yet" is so old, but really rings true at the moment. Should he be backed with 200m in the summer plus whatever we make in sales, and then flounder he will probably be on thin ice. But i really think he could build a excellent team
Yeah, wish we could just swap Lukaku for Haaland.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
That is the big question. I think Boehlys lot will give him a hefty budget. Plus kinda hoping that being new owners theyll want to make a splash and bring in one or 2 marquee signings, to make a quick impression.

Think another thing which has derailed TT these last few weeks/months is players agreeing deals to move and continuing to be picked. Heads maybe no longer in it. Not a good situation. Christensen, Azpi perhaps, now Rudiger. And all 3 are making silly mistakes here and there, albeit some more often than others. Of course Chilwell and James being out was massive, too
Tbf these "silly mistakes" haunt us for most of the season. IIRC it was Jorgi a the start that cost us a couple of points. Mendy has his regular howlers now. Rüdiger is mostly consistent for me, and Christensen seems to have other issues at times. In my opinion our players are totally overplayed. That may go for every club but I'd argue that we would be much better overall if James and Ben stayed injury free and we would have lost Kanté, Lukaku and Werner for most of the season (for example).

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I still think he is a top manager, not Klopp or Pep level but clearly next tier.

He and whoever will call the shots at Chelsea going forward in the footballing hierarchy have a big job to do over the next year. For a team that has been playing at a very high level, including winning the biggest prize in the game a year ago, their roster needs a surprising amount of work - defense needs a big rebuild, midfield has been a rock of the team but is becoming a significant issue as Jorginho/Kante age, and they need to figure out what to do up front because they spent 275m on four forwards who can't put the ball in the net. There are a lot of players out of contract in 2023 (Kante, Jorginho, Alonso, Azpi) and 2024 (Kovacic, Mount, Pulisic, CHO, RLC) and the new regime needs to quickly figure out a plan, especially given the rising incidence of players running down their deals. And they will almost certainly need to do all that while also trying to lower the wage bill.

Boavista

I'm curious who you'd like that to be, or rather than in what positions? With Christensen (?) and Rudiger leaving, Silva not getting younger etc, a few CB signings are obviously necessary. How about in CM, a potential Kante or Jorginho replacement/competition?

In attack I think Chelsea are in a complicated spot, because they definitely have the quantity of players, and in theory I think the quality is there too. But do you hope Lukaku finds his form, even though Havertz should probably be the one to build around? Likewise you could improve on Werner but then again he does add something to the team and I get the feeling he's starting to prove his value even if his numbers are still lagging behind. I can't shake the feeling his numbers will explode eventually, especially partnering with Havertz who also still needs to reach that next level, but is it worth waiting and hoping for that? Same with Pulisic and Ziyech, the potential is there but not the consistency..

Who do you keep, who do you replace?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Undoubtedly, not sure what the thinking there was.
I think we panicked (with our goalscoring problems of last season) and just looked at the top line without factoring in how worse he'll make us in general play (that or thinking adapting him would be easier than it turned out).

That is the biggest difference between us, City and Liverpool right now (as i fully believe with a fully functioning suited to his style squad Tuchel can challenge those two) hopefully that will be how Boehly operates, stylistic fits only (unless they're that good that their individual quality makes up for it ala Hazard). Adeyemi would be a good choice for the inside forward role in my opinion.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I'm curious who you'd like that to be, or rather than in what positions? With Christensen (?) and Rudiger leaving, Silva not getting younger etc, a few CB signings are obviously necessary. How about in CM, a potential Kante or Jorginho replacement/competition?

In attack I think Chelsea are in a complicated spot, because they definitely have the quantity of players, and in theory I think the quality is there too. But do you hope Lukaku finds his form, even though Havertz should probably be the one to build around? Likewise you could improve on Werner but then again he does add something to the team and I get the feeling he's starting to prove his value even if his numbers are still lagging behind. I can't shake the feeling his numbers will explode eventually, especially partnering with Havertz who also still needs to reach that next level, but is it worth waiting and hoping for that? Same with Pulisic and Ziyech, the potential is there but not the consistency..

Who do you keep, who do you replace?
In an ideal summer, these would be on my sell list, along with those already agreeing moves. Alonso, Kenedy, CHO, Werner, Azpi sadly, Christensen, Rudiger, Jorginho probably, Gilmour loan, Sarr, RLC [rate him but i think he can be improved on], Barkley

Inwards. Kounde, Rice, Kane [ ye zero chance but talking an ideal summer here], and a winger. Few returning loans too. Gallagher and Broja.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
In an ideal summer, these would be on my sell list, along with those already agreeing moves. Alonso, Kenedy, CHO, Werner, Azpi sadly, Christensen, Rudiger, Jorginho probably, Gilmour loan, Sarr, RLC [rate him but i think he can be improved on], Barkley

Inwards. Kounde, Rice, Kane [ ye zero chance but talking an ideal summer here], and a winger. Few returning loans too. Gallagher and Broja.
I've never swam against popular opinion so much than on this subject but I really think Callum has got something and I'd let Pulisic go before I do him.

Our best run of games (both performances and results wise) of the season came with him starting every game and he made telling impacts against Villa and Spurs before his injury. He is always up there when it comes to creative metrics and he has an excellent understanding with James (that alone puts him behind the likes of Pulisic, Lukaku and probably Werner in the culling stakes).

His finishing has to improve hugely though, he makes Werner look like RVN on that score.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I've never swam against popular opinion so much than on this subject but I really think Callum has got something and I'd let Pulisic go before I do him.
Without a doubt for me.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Spurs made Sarr look like a worldbeater too though so there is that. For me both would need to step up their game massively to be considered as starters. CHO had a decent run of about four games more or less and then offered next to nothing imo. Pulisic works at least well as a sub (doubtful he would accept that role over a longer period anymore though). Can't let everybody go but at least one of Pulisic, CHO or Werner has to go. Pulisic I can see staying as he's very marketable.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
CHO direct one on one play needs to get a lot better. He used to take people on, now he avoids it.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
CHO reminds me of Vinicius before he turned into the current Vinicius.
That's an excellent shout actually.

I really hope we can reap the rewards if/when he hits that next level but with 2 years left on his current deal in the summer I'm slightly paranoid we will cash in.

TheReligion

Abusive
It was pretty fast to see that Lukaku was not going to add anything to the mix, even if we were hopeful. I do not like the way we are winding down the season, but with the sale of the club, it was always going to take a toll. I think the vast majority of Chelsea fans are overall happy and enjoy what lies ahead with Tuchel.
That’s fine and as I say I wouldn’t be sacking TT. I think the season is undeniably a failure though if you don’t land the FA cup.

TheReligion

Abusive

Its a tricky summer for you I feel as there’s a lot to do and get right. Both Christensen and Rudiger going is a pain and leaves you needing to fill two CB spots. Then you have decisions to make about the CM and CF areas. You’ve gone from seemingly just needing to add the finishing touch on a well balanced side last summer to potentially a rebuild job. Bad timing with Roman going too given how he’s very generous in financing and cutting losses.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft

I thought RLC had been playing very very well for Chelsea lately but maybe I have not seen so many games as chels fans

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
RLC is a weird one, looks like his ceiling is extremely high but then disappears into oblivion. Good squad player I'd say. Can carry the ball, can play defensively and also attacking and play multiple positions (albeit not that great) and also seems a nice lad that doesn't stink up the whole place in case he's benched. If he could stay a bit more consistent he'd be excellent although his career could have turned a bit different without his injury. (assuming it's also his body that plays its part here..)

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
That’s fine and as I say I wouldn’t be sacking TT. I think the season is undeniably a failure though if you don’t land the FA cup.
Yes as a whole it will be failure from the point we stood around November end. But we knew our squad has limitations. Our two no 6 s midfield and wingback play got us cl last season. Hoping adding striker will solve lots of problem but Lukaku game just didn't suit.

Once he started sulking COVID hit our squad around December January period and players like havertz Werner got severe COVID too. Almost our entire squad hit with COVID in that period including kante, mount,jorginho, kovasic,cho,Christensen,pulisic,ziyech.

It's not excuse of course but we barely got rest combine with COVID and injuries to our primary wing back options around that December January period limited us not able to convert draws into wins.

We knew how good we can be. So even in your perspective it's failure I just don't think we are not that far from top.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes as a whole it will be failure from the point we stood around November end. But we knew our squad has limitations. Our two no 6 s midfield and wingback play got us cl last season. Hoping adding striker will solve lots of problem but Lukaku game just didn't suit.

Once he started sulking COVID hit our squad around December January period and players like havertz Werner got severe COVID too. Almost our entire squad hit with COVID in that period including kante, mount,jorginho, kovasic,cho,Christensen,pulisic,ziyech.

It's not excuse of course but we barely got rest combine with COVID and injuries to our primary wing back options around that December January period limited us not able to convert draws into wins.

We knew how good we can be. So even in your perspective it's failure I just don't think we are not that far from top.
Summer will be crucial really as Rudiger and Christensen leave two pretty big gaps. Fortunately Silva renewed but ultimately you’re going to need to spend a fair bit just to get back to normal levels and that’s even before looking at freshening up the midfield and making a decision on Werner and Lukaku.

I think TT is the man to do it, will just be interesting to watch as you’ll have a new owner, budgets and structure. A lot of change and a lot to do. Exciting but also could be a concern. Bit like United in some ways.