Thomas Tuchel sacked at Christmas

Acole9

Outstanding
I think PSG were worried Pochettino would go to Grimsby so had to act quickly.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Surprised they went for poch. The way things are going, pep is surely available in the summer.
This version of PSG probably can't afford Pep massive wage under FFP. Assuming that Pochettino's wage is in the range of Tuchel's.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Ooh, when's the interview released ?
It was released yesterday. The main criticism of him was that he never felt appreciation in general despite being one game away from winning the Champions league,
Not a fan of Tuchel. I think PSG have a better chance for the CL without him.
So much better than close do beat Bayern ? It was a close final game. Bayern, the best team in the world was just slighly better. In fact PSG should have scored 2 goals at least in the first half, if not 3. I doubt they will get this close again, at least not easy for the new manager.

In my view he did a great job overall, to me he handled the Superstars really well, at least I expect it would have been more difficult for him. Also, PSG looked like a real team, and looked really good defensively. They might struggled a bit in the league recently, but so is every other big club. It was tough last season, and then Corona , Neymar injury etc.

Wilt

BBC

After leading PSG to their first Champions League final last season this seems a strange time to sack a manager. They may be 1 point off the lead in a league when they are expected to walk it but still harsh.

Record

Games - 127
Won - 95
Draws - 13
Loses - 19

Goals For - 337
Goals Against - 103

Win % - 74.80

Silverware

Ligue 1: 2018–19, 2019–20
Coupe de France: 2019–20
Coupe de la Ligue: 2019–20
Trophée des Champions: 2018, 2019
UEFA Champions League runner-up: 2019–20
....and they’ve sacked him :houllier:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ah right, how come they didn't get along?
Because he's another Conte. Either everything is exactly the way he wants it or he's going to start shitting on everyone. Same reason Dortmund got rid of him
He’s a bit like Allegri and Conte then?
Allegri?
I think thats where i'm at too that and the laughable overrating of his league finishes at Spurs. You would think he took Spurs from mid-table to the brink of a title. Instead of taking a team that regularly finished 4th-5th to 2nd-3rd.
Spurs had 2 top 4 finishes in the PL era before Pochettino. 4 with him in charge

Dr. StrangeHate

Considering FFP and PSG not able to spend for the foreseeable future. They need someone like Poch who can get the team performing better than the individual players. It is quite likely they lose Mbappe in the summer as well.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Seems there's an unwritten law at PSG that you get two goes at winning CL and you're done.

Emery survived the Barca collapse but went the next season. Thought Tuchel would be o.k after making the final last year and getting out of the group after a poor start but clearly not although based more on this interview.

Been calling Poch to PSG for months. Think that will be start move from him before he eventually comes back to prem, can win a few league titles and have serious shot at winning CL. Tuchel could end up in prem in next year aswell I think.

JPRouve

Scout
Seems there's an unwritten law at PSG that you get two goes at winning CL and you're done.

Emery survived the Barca collapse but went the next season. Thought Tuchel would be o.k after making the final last year and getting out of the group after a poor start but clearly not although based more on this interview.

Been calling Poch to PSG for months. Think that will be start move from him before he eventually comes back to prem, can win a few league titles and have serious shot at winning CL. Tuchel could end up in prem in next year aswell I think.
It's kind of written, since 2011 they haven't given more than 2+1 years contracts.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Didn't he have a bit of a fallout with Mbappé earlier in the (calendar) year with Kylian holding a grudge even when the situation was seemingly swept under the rag? If that's true, his days in Paris were already numbered as there was no chance that the board would side with him.

Anyway, he's always been vocal when he doesn't get what he wants and it seemed that he felt this way at PSG. Not a big loss for the Parisians either. Failed to win both domestic cups for the first time since 2014 in his first season and went out of the CL in a rather miserable way. Last season, he did well in France but he got lucky with the 5-subs against Atalanta because he had read and planned the game horribly wrong. Even his time at BvB is, IMHO, very overrated.

Are they really going for Poch? Let's see if they can have a go at the trophy with the big ears with him.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No not for United, and for many reasons including his inability to work without getting in trouble with the hierarchy.

He is not suitable for United. But might be for Arsenal as you need more a tactical tweak rather than anything else.
You?

And he can be an irritant, but irritants who deliver results are tolerated for a while. See Mourinho and Conte for examples.

lysglimt

Scout
Could he be fired for speaking to another club, rather than because of the results ?

Eriku

And at the same time, PSG would gladly take Poch, but I doubt they'd ever hire Ole.
So I think in the end, Poch has a more impressive CV.
Ok? I’m not looking to get into Ole vs Poch, I’m just saying you guys are misrepresenting what people are saying when they bring up Ole’s league win in Norway.

lysglimt

Scout
Considering FFP and PSG not able to spend for the foreseeable future. They need someone like Poch who can get the team performing better than the individual players. It is quite likely they lose Mbappe in the summer as well.
Yes but PSG want to win trophies as well

Matthew84!

Not surprised, he's not exactly doing great, winning the league by a big margin is minimum requirement. Lost too many already this season. Next manager who goes there will win exactly the same as him.
Only question is will Mbappe or Neymar leave? Was rumours of Messi going there so perhaps it's being aligned for Pep to go there at the end of the season. Think his cycle has run its course in this league.
My opinion only of course.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I am not happy with the timing. Poch might take over at PSG, and Tuchel will have a new job soon. So in summer 2021 both of them will not be available in case Ole is deemed not being the right choice to get us forward in the long run.
Those 2 would have been my preferred choices.

Its understandable, if poor timing. They could win the league with the tea lady in charge and he has failed in the Champions League.

More than anything I'm annoyed we are letting yet another top manager in Poch slip through. Give it another two weeks and we will have slid to another disappointment and realise for the hundredth time that Ole isnt the one.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
PSG fan since the 90s (when PSG was at one point 1st in the UEFA club coefficient ranking over a 5 years period for those saying the PSG has no history before Quatar)

Tuchel was always in conflict with Leonardo and criticized the new recruits. Despite the last windows was great considering the very low budget : kean florenzi rafinha and danilo have all over acheived what we expected from them and were free or almost free

Second conflict was how stubborn playing marquinhos in the midfield and danilo as a defender just to say that leonardo still hasn t given him a defensive midfielder. Both marquinhos and danilo had to say in interview it wasn t their real position before tuchel give up

and last straw was the interview yesterday saying he wasn t appreciated and the management of psg was too political

that being said he was really under appreciated and he had great success with the CL final but he has a negative impact on the team when is too stubborn and want to send a message

So I m team leonardo. All the great players bought at a reasonable price went from leonardo
With the other managers, the only great player bought was when we paid more than anyone else (neymar mbappe) and we can t do that anymore with the FFP asking us every year to sell for 50+ M of players
If this was the case and how Leonardo handles his manager, who would want to come and be potentially treated this badly?

georgipep

Bit of a pointless comment really.
Obviously this is taken from the Ole thread and all.

But people beat on Poch because he hasn't won anything. If he wins Ligue 1, it's a nothing trophy, yet people still cite Ole for winning the Norwegian League
While I agree that it is a stupid argument, winning the Norwegian league with Molde is 10x the achievement compared to winning the French league with PSG.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Hopefully they hire Poch. Will also be interesting to see how he manages their big players and how he uses them as part of his system.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I thought it was pretty harsh of West Brom to sack Bilic after drawing with City. I guess PSG just topped that with sacking Tuchel after winning 4-0 :lol: :lol: :lol:

treble_winner

:lol: Yeah he was worried about that alright.
Being unemployed during a worldwide pandemic is harsh, no matter who you are. And he got a whole family to feed too.
Pochettino is not like Lukaku with that "A grown-ass man walks alone" style.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
@giorno Do you think that Tuchel could be a target for Juventus?
Very un-Juveish, in the case... he neither has any past/glorious connection with the club, nor he is Italian aka knowing what he needs to do already. Deschamps is the dark-horse option for a restart, if all goes tits up.

JPRouve

Scout
Very un-Juveish, in the case... he neither has any past/glorious connection with the club, nor he is Italian aka knowing what he needs to do already. Deschamps is the dark-horse option for a restart, if all goes tits up.
That's what I thought but I'm intrigued by the new marketing angle of Juventus and wondered if they could go in a surprising direction. As for Deschamps, he is perfect for Juventus and italian football in general but he should reject you, replacing him with Ranieri was inexcusable.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Firstly, Poch will piss that league, not that he is a serial winner, but he is a top coach. Secondly, anyone thinking he wouldnt have done better for Utd compared to Ole is daydreaming. He is a better manager IMO, and i think if the other 19 EPL clubs were asked hypothetically which manager of the 2 theyd employ first, it'd be Poch by a landslide. Even the major European clubs

Thirdly, Mourinho must be kicking himself because I still think PSG is the job he really wanted next after Utd sacked him. When he spoke about projects and what not, he was wanting a club with huge backing, not Spurs who will back him yes, but not anywhere near the level he wants. PSG was who he had in mind, I have no doubt.

stevoc

Spurs had 2 top 4 finishes in the PL era before Pochettino. 4 with him in charge
Yeah i'm aware and thats basically what i said mate, those two top 4 finishes were in the 5 seasons before he took over so Spurs were already heading in the right direction.

They went from 4th, 5th, 4th, 5th and 6th under Redknapp/AVB to 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd 4th under Mauricio Pochettino. He did a good job at Spurs but lets not forget his tenure there coincided with the emergence of Harry Kane knocking in 30-40 goals a season. So while he did a good job he wasn't exactly turning water into wine either.

You would think he took Spurs from mid-table to the brink of a title. Instead of taking a team that regularly finished 4th-5th to 2nd-3rd.

Last edited: