Thomas Vermaelen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santos J

erm?

Would be a weird one as I thought he was quality at one point but he seemed to drop off a bit and become nothing more than back up, last season especially. LvG seems to have a fixation with playing left footers and the LCB position & he's (i think) left footed so it'd make sense from that perspective. Doubt he'd cost too much either, dunno though, would be a strange one.

Leg-End

As squad depth at the right price it wouldn't be a bad move, more than that....eh.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No thanks. I'd rather Martins Indi, or any other left footed ball playing CB. That must be the criteria, seeing as that's all Vermaelen offers.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Out of contract in 2015. Would mean that LVG rates him, which is interesting.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Thinking of a possible scenario where this supposed move makes sense.

Nope, haven't got any.

Anderson18

Nope, haven't got any.
Lack of world class CBs in the market, proven CB that wouldn't cost the world and has experience, Suits LVG style.

Not his biggest fan but this deal would make sense. Would love to have a better one but atleast he wouldn't be a Fellaini-esque waste of money.

Juan't Mata

Shot in the dark here but it might make sense if LVG was thinking of going 3 at the back. In that scenario you'd need 5-6 centrebacks in the squad and particularly ones comfortable getting pulled wide.

He doesn't like spending big either bear in mind. Very much an LVG type player and signing.

I'm probably talking bollox though tbf.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
As a fourth choice backup centre half with bags of premier league experience who is available on the cheap? I'd prefer Miranda but I'm not sure we need a first choice centre back.
Hmm..the only reason he's supposedly leaving Arsenal cos he's not playing regularly here..why'd he come here as a backup?

He's also quite injury prone.

Zoo

Wenger's revenge for Silvestre.

I'd rather just bring a young prospect in.

Firstouch20

Was Van Gaal working as a director of football for Ajax during Vermaelens time there? That would explain alot. He is a bit of a liability. On his day he can be really good but after his first season he has been on a downward spiral since.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We need a world class defender, I honestly don't see the point of this transfer.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Hmm..the only reason he's supposedly leaving Arsenal cos he's not playing regularly here..why'd he come here as a backup?

He's also quite injury prone.
Because he'd get a new lengthy contract and leave a club where he's gone from captain to reserve. He made 14 appearances last season. He also probably looks at our centre backs and thinks if he recaptures his form from his first season at arsenal he'd be first choice, he won't get the chance to do that at Arsenal, Wenger has clearly lost faith in him. I think it makes sense, we have three potentially very good centre backs, we don't need a Hummels and the money would be better served elsewhere, namely on central midfield and out wide.

LonelyFire

Nope, haven't got any.
Left footed centre half - offers tactical flexibility if looking to play 3 centre backs like holland last night.

Not saying I rate him but merit in LVG thinking.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Thought this was about Verthongen first and was wondering why people were saying no. Then I realised. Only good enough to be back up and why would he move here to be that?

Litch

I like him a lot. Think he lost his way at Arsenal, with what seemed like a succession of injuries....I think he was unlucky cause that big daft German came good for them last season

Sid234

His signing would make sense if LvG thinks he can use 5-3-2 with us.. Having a 4th CB as backup who has loads of experience and can play at LB too is not a bad idea.. we just lost our two most experienced CB's in one season.. no harm in having some experienced heads at the back

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
He had a good first season at Arsenal. Other than that lots of injuries if my memory is right.

westlife4ever

Another Arsenal captain. I actually like him. Injuries have ruined his form for the past two seasons.

legball

Typical United signing, premier league based, not pursued by other clubs, I won't be surprised if we sign him but we should be aiming higher.

stu_1992

This would be pretty random signing if it were to happen. It would be a disappointment really as we all want a top class centre-back and Vermaelen is not that. Sure he fits the bill of a more experienced option, and maybe a left-footer appeals to Van Gaal there but that's where it stops making sense IMO. He seems to have a mistake in him.
I also don't see why Arsenal would sell him to us. He can't be worth so much that they would be unable to turn down the offer. Plus if he is available relatively cheaply, there will surely be other teams in for him too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
had a decent first season, although scoring a quite a few goals masked that he's not that great at defending.

Jev

Let's be honest, it would be a comically horrible transfer. An Arsenal backup to take us back to the top? Sure.

pseudo_canadian

Yeahhh, no thanks. Was quality for Arsenal a few years ago, one of the better CBs in the league actually. But has taken almost a total 180 from the player he used to be. Seems to have lost a lot of confidence.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Vermaelen would be so underwhelming after all the talk by Woodward and the build up to this transfer window. Vermaelen is one player Arsenal fans would love to see the back of.

Dominos

Massively overrated in his first season, now he's rated just about right i.e. crap.

Do not want.

goin4glory

What type of numbers are being thrown around? I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to work with LVG and if it's less than 12m he'd be a good addition to the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.