Thomas Vermaelen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakeru

Try guessing if Barcelona have been hit by the Real Madrid syndrome. Paying £15M is just plain mad for someone in his position.

Manucho the boss

Try guessing if Barcelona have been hit by the Real Madrid syndrome. Paying £15M is just plain mad for someone in his position.
Didn't we bid that as well? I wasn't mad about signing him but now we've been rejected it hurts a bit as he'd cover several positions, has more experience, pace and composure on the ball than any of our other cb options.

starman

They certainly seem to have been spending crazy of late with the debacle with Neymar. 75m on that nutjob Suarez. Now 15m on injury probe Vermaelen and 16m on almost 31 year old Mathieu. This along with selling fabreagas for so cheap..

Cina

Real wouldn't sign a player like Vermaelen.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
This reminds me of Song to barcelona. I imagine he won't be successful there and they'll be wanting rid in a season or two.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Real wouldn't sign a player like Vermaelen.
Any excuse to post this picture:

Seriously though, as much as people like to question Real Madrid's transfer policy it's still a lot better than current day Barcelona's own one. Spending around £35m on Mathieu and Vermaelen is a dreadful use of limited (because of how much has been spent on Suárez) resources.

They've been improving their squad every year while Barcelona run their star players into the ground instead of building a proper team around them - they got lazy once they'd hit their peak in 2011.

Skorenzy

Any excuse to post this picture:

Seriously though, as much as people like to question Real Madrid's transfer policy it's still a lot better than current day Barcelona's own one. Spending around £35m on Mathieu and Vermaelen is a dreadful use of limited (because of how much has been spent on Suárez) resources.

They've been improving their squad every year while Barcelona run their star players into the ground instead of building a proper team around them - they got lazy once they'd hit their peak in 2011.

The expression on Di Stéfano's face really says it all :lol:

humdinger

They have done extremely well to get that much for him. Fair play to them, I'm just glad we didn't pay that or even worse give them Smalling!

Ace of Spades

Barca have been really helpful to us. Saved us from getting Vermaelen, and took ratboy from pool. Now, if only they had not sold fabregas to the chavs.

RedStarUnited

maybe I just find it hard to believe that they'd pay €18.8m for him, I mean what the feck? Barca are mental!
Ive seen 15m euros rising to 19, Aka 12m to 15m pounds. Arsenal are likely to want the 15m number to come out and barca the other number. 12m is the number thats been said siince the summer began, so looks legit to me.

louvega

Ive seen 15m euros rising to 19, Aka 12m to 15m pounds. Arsenal are likely to want the 15m number to come out and barca the other number. 12m is the number thats been said siince the summer began, so looks legit to me.
Press here are reporting, in €uros, 15m right now and another 3-4m if Barcelona wins a CL in the next few seasons.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
With this and the Song deal they'll finally have paid us what Fabregas was actually worth.
And Hleb too.

Around 0:57 in that video just sums up TV5's Arsenal career. He'd make these errors and then score a few fantastic goals. It was only a matter of time before he was found out. To be fair, he was professional till the very end. He always worked hard but sadly wasn't good enough for us.

louvega

To be fair, he was professional till the very end. He always worked hard but sadly wasn't good enough for us.
Now you know how Barcelona fans feel about Alexis. Better not look for his blunder videos.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
This has probably already been said, but if Vermaelen is leaving Arsenal due to a lack of game time, surely going to Barcelona won't solve his problem? Is he really going to be first choice there?

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Didn't we bid that as well? I wasn't mad about signing him but now we've been rejected it hurts a bit as he'd cover several positions, has more experience, pace and composure on the ball than any of our other cb options.
People keep saying "He can play left back" - have any of these people actually seen him play left back? Because every time I saw him at left back for Arsenal he was absolutely dire. Danny Welbeck could play in goal for us, but does that mean he should?

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Now you know how Barcelona fans feel about Alexis. Better not look for his blunder videos.
I wouldn't judge a player by his time at Barcelona although I have no idea what you are talking about (don't watch La Liga much). Cesc was phenomenal for us but Barcelona never took to him. Playing at Barcelona is, I suppose, a lot about how well a player adapts to the system.
The Sánchez I saw at the World Cup convinced me of his quality. I'm sure he'll be terrific for us, especially with Özil in the squad.

RedStarUnited

Arsenal and Barcelona haven't actually released statements about the price being agreed have they? Imagine the reaction from some of you, if it turns out United are signing him.

Acole9

Outstanding
Arsenal and Barcelona haven't actually released statements about the price being agreed have they? Imagine the reaction from some of you, if it turns out United are signing him.
Well we won't be as we've ended our interest in him, not prepared to discuss a swap deal with them. Good job and all as I wouldn't swap any of our centre backs for him where's the logic in that.

RedStarUnited

Well we won't be as we've ended our interest in him, not prepared to discuss a swap deal with them. Good job and all as I wouldn't swap any of our centre backs for him where's the logic in that.
According to "sources" we have but this summer has taught me not to listen to anything til it happens.

I dont think Wenger really wanted any of our center backs. Think about it, its the most polite way of saying no we wont sell to you.

RustyS

And Hleb too.

Around 0:57 in that video just sums up TV5's Arsenal career. He'd make these errors and then score a few fantastic goals. It was only a matter of time before he was found out. To be fair, he was professional till the very end. He always worked hard but sadly wasn't good enough for us.
RVP trolling the barcodes :lol:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
People keep saying "He can play left back" - have any of these people actually seen him play left back? Because every time I saw him at left back for Arsenal he was absolutely dire. Danny Welbeck could play in goal for us, but does that mean he should?
Well their manager has said he intends playing mascherano in midfield hasnt he.
They have brought mathieu who can play centre back or left back but strikes me as a squad player - certainly behind a fit and motivated vermaelen so quite possibly he could start alongside pique
.....................stengen......................
Alves...pique.....vermaelen.....alba
.........busquets... Mascherano......
.....................iniesta.......................
.......neymar...Messi...suarez.......
Xavi will no doubt play a number of games which mas push mascherano to defence but I could see vermaelen getting plenty of games there

Acole9

Outstanding
According to "sources" we have but this summer has taught me not to listen to anything til it happens.

I dont think Wenger really wanted any of our center backs. Think about it, its the most polite way of saying no we wont sell to you.
He said in his press conference he'd rather sell to a foreign club. I think they would've had we of accepted a swap deal.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
They have brought mathieu who can play centre back or left back but strikes me as a squad player - certainly behind a fit and motivated vermaelen so quite possibly he could start alongside pique
Xavi will no doubt play a number of games which mas push mascherano to defence but I could see vermaelen getting plenty of games there
I meant for us, Barca can play him where they like.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Barcelona the team with the perfect dream midfield, having mascherano in there as first choice now would be odd.

predator

Youth NITK
Great deal for Arsenal. They sell an injury prone CB who isnt that important to them for 15 million to a non domestic club. However this non domestic club is only the famous Barcelona who produce great players all the time. I just feel that the recent transfers between Arsenal-Barca are going to benefit Arsenal as it creates a friendly relationship with a club like Barca.

RedStarUnited

C'est Moi Cantona

Big shame, really wanted him, leaves us in a very difficult situation now in a position we desperately need to strenghten

Status
Not open for further replies.