Film Thor: Love and Thunder

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Nah man.

But I guess it's gonna become cool to rip on Taika now.
I like Waititi, I like most of his previous work and I genuinely went in expecting to like this movie. He's obviously come in and shaken things up with his NZ insouciance which is markedly different from the American brand of Marvel humour till date.

Not sure if it's still cool to call out self indulgent, smug to the point of unbearable, and honestly, bad filmmaking, but thats largely what I've seen has happened with this one. He's clearly decided he's going to go full Taika with the freedom accorded to him and that's just being received in clearly contrasting ways, more so toward the negative.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
He's making a new Star Wars film too. Just what a director on the verge of a backlash needs. :lol:
If he's decided to completely disregard what came before and go his own way, more power to him. Less quippy rocks and 'jokes' per minute might be a good start though.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I like Waititi, I like most of his previous work and I genuinely went in expecting to like this movie. He's obviously come in and shaken things up with his NZ insouciance which is markedly different from the American brand of Marvel humour till date.

Not sure if it's still cool to call out self indulgent, smug to the point of unbearable, and honestly, bad filmmaking, but thats largely what I've seen has happened with this one. He's clearly decided he's going to go full Taika with the freedom accorded to him and that's just being received in clearly contrasting ways, more so toward the negative.
Full Gunn and full Taika may be a bit too much, the meal can't be all seasoning. Both seem to be better when slightly restrained, with their first Marvel film being better than their second. But all 4 have been successes, it's a good problem to have.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I wonder what Waititi's alien will look like in his new SW movie, because we know he can't keep himself out of his own films.

I'm going to go with giant alien kiwi, because that's his level of humour.

Big Andy

Bloke
The thing with these Marvel films is the general public in them. There's been alien attacks, half the population disappearing for 5 years, portals to other universes opening up all over the shop, a fecking giant baby alien almost ripping the planet apart, amongst other low level threats such as terrorism, etc, and they just go about their day like feck all has happened.

Sylar

The thing with these Marvel films is the general public in them. There's been alien attacks, half the population disappearing for 5 years, portals to other universes opening up all over the shop, a fecking giant baby alien almost ripping the planet apart, amongst other low level threats such as terrorism, etc, and they just go about their day like feck all has happened.
What do you want the public to do?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Nah man.

But I guess it's gonna become cool to rip on Taika now.
You don’t have to like everything by generally good filmmakers. This one was a clusterfeck of Waititi indulgence that just didn’t click in the way Ragnarok did. Part of the reason is he didn’t have people quite as good at riffing as he usually does, so you get lots of long, stilted, largely improvised scenes with straight actors like Natalie Portman and Tessa Thompson who aren’t good at it, or protected by quite as many adept comedians. Also everyone trying to be the funny one ruins any dynamic that may have existed.
Another is you get lots of plot/pace hindering character excesses or people who just don’t actually need to be in the film, purely cos he likes their vibe - like Waititi himself, who again gets more screen time than the films actual villain, elite thesp Christian fecking Bale!*
And another is you get a bunch of repetitive jokes he finds funny flogged into the dirt - like the interminable jealous axe gag, or a fecking Bao bun turning up at one point… All of these are clearly the result of him being given too much freedom with no oversight, rather than anything Marvel or Disney mandated.

It’s okay to admit this. The high art cinema nerds will forgive you.

That said, there were some nice visuals, and Russell Crowe doing ‘Stavros’ was one of the few gags that worked.

*Also all of Hemsworths children are in this, and while they aren’t too intrusive, it kinda shows what the priorities were… it’s closer to an Adam Sandler film than Boy or the Wilderpeople

Last edited:

Big Andy

Bloke
What do you want the public to do?
Well if I was on a planet that had numerous alien attacks, etc I'd probably not be going out for shwarma all that much. Also, I'd probably mention it like ALL THE TIME. Not a peep about the baby Celestial stcking up from the sea or anything.

Sylar

Well if I was on a planet that had numerous alien attacks, etc I'd probably not be going out for shwarma all that much. Also, I'd probably mention it like ALL THE TIME. Not a peep about the baby Celestial stcking up from the sea or anything.
Maybe most people do mention it. But we dont really follow the general public... for obvious reasons.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Yep, and it sticks out like a ravaged thumb in the tv shows. Any universe with that level of insane threat would have massive impact on their culture overall. I do think there is a point, even in a comic book storyline, possibly at $10 fecking bn ticket sales, that you pay more attention to that.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Tbh that was the one part of Love and Thunder which worked, New Asgard as a tourist trap. But that was about above shallow as the movie decided to go.

Sylar

Also yeah the celestial sticking out of earth is the biggest issue I have with phase 4. No hero has mentioned it at all

Unless eternals happens last from everything or after all movies and shows we've seen

Hamnat

Falcon and Winter Soldier was literally entirely about the public's response to the humanitarian crises caused by the snap. How governments did and didn't respond to it. The suffering and displacement of refugees. And how some turned into terrorists because they couldn't get the governments to listen to them.

Civil War started out of the utter destruction that follows Avengers battles and some wanting there to be more accountability in the harm caused.

Hell even Killmonger's storyline in Black Panther addressed the complete neglect of such an advanced civilization sitting behind their safe bubble while so many suffered around the globe from slavery to civil rights issues.

To say that the impact of the storylines on regular people has not been addressed isn't entirely accurate.

Hal9000

Not going to lie I was actually irritated by the first 2/3rds of the film. I usually love Waititi's stuff, yes he's always had comedy in his projects but I've never thought it was silly and it was just blended nicely into the film's tone. This was just stupid for the most part and I found myself hating it, the screaming goats, playing off the stormbreaker as sentient, how they have turned Thor into an idiot, Korgs jokes being inserted everywhere..

Gorr was under utilised and that's a shame..

Ragnarok is probably one of my favourite MCU films. I liked the film after the shadow realm other than that I hated it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Not that MCU people care but Thor, though brusque, is not a idiot in the comics. Waititi has really dumbed down the character.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I wonder what Waititi's alien will look like in his new SW movie, because we know he can't keep himself out of his own films.

I'm going to go with giant alien kiwi, because that's his level of humour.
Almost as if it's his trademark.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
That doesn't seem overly accurate because surely there were Marvel shows before? Agents of Shield for example ran for 7 seasons.
Weird one, but agents if shield was made by ABC and ended up not being canon I believe.

Same with the Netflix shows. Be interesting if there's a change in stance with those now though.

And then you have your cloak and daggers, runaways and agent carter.

Sylar

Yeah wandavision counts as the first MCU show I believe (everything else doesn't count I believe and is just non MCU property even though as you said @SalfordRed18 AoS linked to MCU unt the final season and even in the final season they mentioned thanos)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I lost all interest in the MCU after Robert Downey jr. left. Last couple of movies have been cack. Not seen this one yet, but I will on D+ like the good little consumer I am, because I have nothing better to do anyway.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
I lost all interest in the MCU after Robert Downey jr. left. Last couple of movies have been cack. Not seen this one yet, but I will on D+ like the good little consumer I am, because I have nothing better to do anyway.
Outstanding bump.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Weird one, but agents if shield was made by ABC and ended up not being canon I believe.

Same with the Netflix shows. Be interesting if there's a change in stance with those now though.

And then you have your cloak and daggers, runaways and agent carter.
Everything is canon now, those shows were in a parallel Multiverse just like the Fox movies, thus the Spiderman crossover was possible.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
This has to be the most ridiculous film I think I have ever seen. I watched it with my daughter and we both loved it and even laughed out loud in a few places, but honestly it is a bit shite at the end of the day!

SoCross

Not some funny moments but not very good. Ragnarok was far superior. A shame, this really had potential, especially with a villain like Gorr.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Full Gunn and full Taika may be a bit too much, the meal can't be all seasoning. Both seem to be better when slightly restrained, with their first Marvel film being better than their second. But all 4 have been successes, it's a good problem to have.
They haven’t been successes if they’ve been worse than the previous.

We have to stop equating good box office with success. It’s a marvel movie. It’s going to make money. They need to start making great movies again.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Finally got to see it over the weekend & I mostly enjoyed it. Not as strong as Ragnarok. Too much Korg (Taika) in the first 2/3s which I felt was a bit forced & didn’t add anything to the film but the last 1/3 was strong. Good fun overall.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
They haven’t been successes if they’ve been worse than the previous.

We have to stop equating good box office with success. It’s a marvel movie. It’s going to make money. They need to start making great movies again.
I disagree, I think the movies can be a success even if they're not as good as some of the previous movies. Why would you classify a movie as a failure just because some other movie was better? It's either a success or it isn't. Thor 4 is a huge success, if you're judging Marvel films on a different scale you're just admitting how successful they are.

I don't recall any of their movies being great, they're generally fun action movies, not films you'd discuss next to The Godfather.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Just saw it. Expected it to be horrible based on most of the comments here, and although it’s a bit of a mess, it’s a lot of fun. Agree Gorr is under utilised, but all round I really enjoyed this.

Sylar

Just saw it. Expected it to be horrible based on most of the comments here, and although it’s a bit of a mess, it’s a lot of fun. Agree Gorr is under utilised, but all round I really enjoyed this.
Well...that might be a reason :lol:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Well...that might be a reason :lol:
That might be a reason? There might be a reason? Not sure what you are getting at.

I respect lots of people don’t like it. But I did expect it to be total trash after some of the comments, but it wasn’t. It had faults, and some real problems in structure, but it was also a lot of fun. I much preferred it to everything else in phase 4, which isn’t saying much. Ragnarok sets the bar really high, which was a fantastic evolution for the Character. Infinity War continued that. Endgame just completely did the character wrong though. He was the funniest part by far of Endgame, probably the best part, but they reduced his character to a bumbling mess. The depression angle was fine, but he became weak and half witted for most of the movie. Love and Thunder picks up that same theme, which is a problem for me. Thor is 1500 years old, and that wisdom should shine through. By the final third of the movie, it comes together and I really enjoyed the last 30-40 minutes. Before that it’s a bit of a collection of short Thor skits, and they don’t knit together well. But it’s still fun.

Zeus and Gorr are both awesome though.