Film Thor: Love and Thunder

Sylar

That might be a reason? There might be a reason? Not sure what you are getting at.

I respect lots of people don’t like it. But I did expect it to be total trash after some of the comments, but it wasn’t. It had faults, and some real problems in structure, but it was also a lot of fun. I much preferred it to everything else in phase 4, which isn’t saying much. Ragnarok sets the bar really high, which was a fantastic evolution for the Character. Infinity War continued that. Endgame just completely did the character wrong though. He was the funniest part by far of Endgame, probably the best part, but they reduced his character to a bumbling mess. The depression angle was fine, but he became weak and half witted for most of the movie. Love and Thunder picks up that same theme, which is a problem for me. Thor is 1500 years old, and that wisdom should shine through. By the final third of the movie, it comes together and I really enjoyed the last 30-40 minutes. Before that it’s a bit of a collection of short Thor skits, and they don’t knit together well. But it’s still fun.

Zeus and Gorr are both awesome though.
Oh im agreeing with you. I think there's been too much hate on the movie here. I haven't seen it to the same scale elsewhere

The about here comment however was regarding to most things are hated on this forum it seems

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Oh im agreeing with you. I think there's been too much hate on the movie here. I haven't seen it to the same scale elsewhere

The about here comment however was regarding to most things are hated on this forum it seems
Gotcha. Yes, the hate is disproportionate to the films problems. Which of course exists and are bountiful, but it’s still a good and fun film, with plenty of high points. Much more interesting for my tastes than the paint by numbers fare we get most of the time. I was also relieved this was a movie with genuine continuity to the rest of the MCU chronology, rather than more multiverse bollocks to reintroduce nostalgic or dead characters.

buchansleftleg

Everything on paper says this film should be great...but it so meh it's untrue.

Ok then we've got a great villain for you - look guys he can actually act loss, betrayal...but we'll barely see him or use his acting skills beyond that - just some boo hiss type stuff and some very bad fight choreography until....Scene

Let's have another opening with a story about how the guardians of the galaxy....oh what's that...you're leaving now?

Ok Wow Jane is back...and she has what now?....she has what now! wow she looks amazing and I know she can act...at last the film has found it's real core story....oh no we're just going to have an axe be jealous of her.

Well here comes Thor We know we can depend on him to.....but that's the same scene as in Ragnarok but with Guns'n'roses rather than Immigrant song....and why is he meeting Harry Enfield's Stavros....Oh it's....well er...is that a bit racist?
'
It just feels like a massively wasted opportunity, burning through a great villain and a great storyline for Jane for something that has the look and feel of a mid-season filler episode in a series where they cobble together some scenes to "remember" some memorable clips / outtakes and nothing of consequence happens.

The cast clearly had fun filming it and it has some comedic moments, but it seems like Taika was given far too much leeway and seems to have just hit the keynotes Feige asked for without creating a memorable story.

Seem's like he's running out of schtick!

Sylar

GOTG leaving like that was a tragedy, especially after the ending of EndGame and the chemistry with Thor and them in IW.

I think Phase4 as a whole has been a big disappointment. Ive like a few series. The movies, i think a few have been really good, but mostly, I reckon if you went from Phase 3 to 5, you wouldnt miss much and would only need a few things explained to you.

caid

It was terrible. I could write a post on why but it don't think it deserves the time to write it. 4/10

Traub

Just watched it. I’m an MCU whore so I loved it. Zeus and the goats were great. I think I’m a bit dim cause I honestly loved all the trash

Sylar

Just watched it. I’m an MCU whore so I loved it. Zeus and the goats were great. I think I’m a bit dim cause I honestly loved all the trash
You're not, it was still enjoyable as a standalone movie. But I can see why people would be let down after Ragnarok and the ending of endgame

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The jokes didn't land. The CGI was weak. Kids.
I thought it was poor.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
The jokes didn't land. The CGI was weak. Kids.
I thought it was poor.
That was the main issue for me. Everything up to and including Zeus felt like forced jokes, every single line tried to be witty and funny. While in fact it was just terrible, goats aside. After Zeus, it was decent but nothing special

b82REZ

That was the main issue for me. Everything up to and including Zeus felt like forced jokes, every single line tried to be witty and funny. While in fact it was just terrible, goats aside. After Zeus, it was decent but nothing special
Ragnarok showed some restraint in its humour. I agree with you that this felt extremely forced.

It did improve after the Zeus scene but was still a bit shit.

mu4c_20le

The whole thing felt like an intro for the ending, the adventures with the little girl, because THATS what I wanted to see and expected from the title.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Its nowhere near as bad as people are saying. I am a HUGE Thor fan, and Ragnarok is my favourite MCU movie. This one didn’t have the great story arc that Ragnarok did, nor did it make use of its villain. Gorr was fantastic but needed to be in it much more. Thor has had to endure more suffering and loss than any other MCU hero, and that trend continues here, so there was a wonderful opportunity to really land an emotional punch, but it didn’t land the way it should have because too much time was spent on stand-alone jokes, rather than tying in strongly to the story. That certainly made the film poorer than it should have been. If it had been 20-30 minutes longer, with a lot more villainy from Gorr and a greater sense of fear and anguish on the side of Thor, then it all would’ve worked much much better. The humour would’ve been welcome relief, rather than the entirety of the movie.

All that said, I still think it’s a really fun watch, and it isn’t the same, rehashed shit that all these movies tend to be. It has the originality and quirkiness that we saw Waititi bring through in Ragnarok. For that alone, I’ll still always like it. But it was a drop in quality from the last film, and that’s a shame, because if it had been as strong as the last one, then we’d probably be looking at a final TW film to complete his trilogy. As it stands now, I imagine we’ll only see Thor again as part of a wider ensemble film. Which sucks, because Ragnarok and Infinity War, turned him into the best character in the MCU. I really hope it doesn’t end this way, as I feel his character actually needs a dose of a darker, grittier side, to balance off all the goofy comedy of his appearances in Ragnarok, IW, EG, and now Love and Thunder.

Tbh, EG really did him dirty. He was still the best part of the film, but turning him into a blubbering, fat, half witted mess, has been pretty hard to come back from, and I am disappointed that he’s lost the goofy but wise persona that he perfectly brought home in Ragnarok. He’s too buffoonish now.

Last edited:

Bebe

Its nowhere near as bad as people are saying. I am a HUGE Thor fan, and Ragnarok is my favourite MCU movie. This one didn’t have the great story arc that Ragnarok did, nor did it make use of its villain. Gorr was fantastic but needed to be in it much more. Thor has had to endure more suffering and loss than any other MCU hero, and that trend continues here, so there was a wonderful opportunity to really land an emotional punch, but it didn’t land the way it should have because too much time was spent on stand-alone jokes, rather than tying in strongly to the story. That certainly made the film poorer than it should have been. If it had been 20-30 minutes longer, with a lot more villainy from Gorr and a greater sense of fear and anguish on the side of Thor, then it all would’ve worked much much better. The humour would’ve been welcome relief, rather than the entirety of the movie.

All that said, I still think it’s a really fun watch, and it isn’t the same, rehashed shit that all these movies tend to be. It has the originality and quirkiness that we saw Waititi bring through in Ragnarok. For that alone, I’ll still always like it. But it was a drop in quality from the last film, and that’s a shame, because if it had been as strong as the last one, then we’d probably be looking at a final TW film to complete his trilogy. As it stands now, I imagine we’ll only see Thor again as part of a wider ensemble film. Which sucks, because Ragnarok and Infinity War, turned him into the best character in the MCU. I really hope it doesn’t end this way, as I feel his character actually needs a dose of a darker, grittier side, to balance off all the goofy comedy of his appearances in Ragnarok, IW, EG, and now Love and Thunder.

Tbh, EG really did him dirty. He was still the best part of the film, but turning him into a blubbering, fat, half witted mess, has been pretty hard to come back from, and I am disappointed that he’s lost the goofy but wise persona that he perfectly brought home in Ragnarok. He’s too buffoonish now.
Watched it last night, I agree with almost every word of your post. Decent fun, but not something I'm ever likely to watch again, whereas I've probably seen Ragnarok 3 or 4 times and am still not sick of it. I'm not even sure it needed a much longer runtime, I think they just needed to cut some of the horribly drawn out jokes that don't advance the plot in any way. This story, and the arcs that it wants to convey for Thor, Jane and Gorr, deserved a far more serious treatment.

Ekeke

I liked it enough as someone who doesnt read Thor comics but did I did read a few after watching the movie. Just a fun superhero movie, I'd give it probably a 6.9 instead of a 7/10 because of
The plot induced stupidity of the villains at the beginning of the movie. I was prepared for it to just be awful at that point, but it did get better and more entertaining after the start

Sylar

This is a fair post. I think Ragnarok and IW were peak Thor and he easily became the best part of mCu.

Also agree and hope this isn't the last we see of him in a major role (not just ensembles)

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Was alright. Bale needed more screen time, he played the creepy villain very well. Didn't even recognise him in that first scene.

At first glance, I thought Zeus was Jack Black. I quickly realised it wasn't but felt that it should've been.

Was there a particular reason why Guns and Roses featured so heavily throughout?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
It suffers from being very standalone, and not being infinity war/Ragnarok.

Watching it as a standalone film where we're just looking at what thors upto, it's a fine film. I personally quite liked it.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
We thought it was terrible. Although the wife likes looking at Chris Hemsworth for some reason.

Our 7 year old really enjoyed it.

Woodzy

Watching it at the moment. It looks like they saw that the comedy worked in Ragnarok so decided to ramp it up at the expense of almost everything else.

Somehow I’m still enjoying it though.

mu4c_20le

I take it Watiti is a Guns fan? Because he was basically just blasting Appetite for Destruction throughout the entire movie. Not that I'm complaining btw... greatest album of all time

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It’s an absolutely stupid film and if you take it as a wacky adventure and don’t try to take it seriously it’s good light hearted fun.

I do think there was a bit too much juxtaposition between Gorr, who I think looks and behaves in a brilliantly terrifying manner, and the funny dynamic the movie tries to portray.

Gorr deserves a more serious outing than this film gives him.

NoLogo

I agree, Taika doesn't quite find the balance between drama and silliness, so the serious parts lack a certain amount of gravitas, they just get swallowed up in all the comedy parts. Still liked it though.

Woodzy

Finished it. An utter mess but still enjoyable. Gorr probably the most interesting MCU villain since Thanos and severely underused.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
How many more pointless movies are they going to make in this universe? There's really only been a handful of good ones. The rest all just feel like plot fillers for the next big one they make and there's been far too many of them now that it leaves a sour taste.

Drifter

American
This matched up to the trailer. A terrible movie. Hopefully the rumors are true that Taika Waititi will no longer be involved in Thor. He has no love for the character or the MCU, and it showed in this film. It might as well have been called Taika love and thunder

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
This matched up to the trailer. A terrible movie. Hopefully the rumors are true that Taika Waititi will no longer be involved in Thor. He has no love for the character or the MCU, and it showed in this film. It might as well have been called Taika love and thunder
I really like him as a director and most of his projects I’ve enjoyed.

I do feel like this film tilted slightly too much into zany for the sake of it despite having an excellent and dark villain that felt a little under developed.

BeltUp

Supports
United
Same. It was grand. It’s a Marvel movie, so should never be watched with high expectations. On that basis I enjoyed it.
I don't think saying "it's a Marvel movie" is a good reason for excusing a bad movie. I thought Ragnarok was great with the right balance of humour and action but also a good cohesive narrative. This movie had some terrible writing with awful joke after awful joke delivered like an episode of The Big Bang Theory.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't think saying "it's a Marvel movie" is a good reason for excusing a bad movie. I thought Ragnarok was great with the right balance of humour and action but also a good cohesive narrative. This movie had some terrible writing with awful joke after awful joke delivered like an episode of The Big Bang Theory.
Ragnarok was better but this wasn’t terrible. It was ok. Certainly better than a lot of other Marvel movies I’ve watched over the last few years.

decorativeed

I think it's probably to be factored in that it was made during the height of the pandemic and that probably had an impact. There are some good bits of this film, but it is more disjointed and messy than any of Waititi's other films. I don't think that would have been by design, as he's proven himself to be a perfectly competent writer and director prior to this.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
That's exactly what it felt like for me, would even use Two Broke Girls as the example. The goats got consistent laughs out of me, the rest not so much