Film Thor: Ragnarok

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not really impressed. Felt like a stand up comedy. None of the characters had any depth except being there for comic reasons. Thor literally is portrayed as the male equivalent to the stereotypic dumb blonde. Cate Blanchett and Tessa Thompson have bordering cringeworthy roles and do not make any kind of impression throughout. Karl Urban's Skorge is another wasted character. The comedy is quite good and carries the movie all through.

6/10
Can't speak for Marvel's Thor but it's actually pretty close to how Thor is portrayed in Norse mythology. He's a near indestructible dumb brute whose answer to most questions is hit it with a hammer.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Well if that is your reasoning then none of the films are made by Marvel. However from what you first said “he’s not Marvel” you only tried to clarify after others had said the rights might be owned by someone else but it’s Marvel.
The simple thing for you to say was oh yeah I get it’s marvel but the distributor is fox. It’s still a marvel film, hence the marvel logo and marketing.
Anyway it really doesn’t matter, Marvel character in a marvel film distributed and filmed by Fox. Same as Spider-Man was a marvel character in a marvel film distributed by Sony.

Any so THOR Ragnarok aye, quite liked the music but some of the jokes fell a little flat. Highlight is when Zepplin kicks in on the bridge.
Well no, the films made in the MCU are made by marvel. The films that arent (except kingsman), are not. Its not rocket science, its quite simple in fact.
Ive had this same argument countless times over multiple threads. The simple thing for you to have said is, the film is not made by marvel, they have no influence over the film, it quite clearly is not a marvel film. Best to leave it at that.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Well no, the films made in the MCU are made by marvel. The films that arent (except kingsman), are not. Its not rocket science, its quite simple in fact.
Ive had this same argument countless times over multiple threads. The simple thing for you to have said is, the film is not made by marvel, they have no influence over the film, it quite clearly is not a marvel film. Best to leave it at that.
that's a bit sad innit.

caid

Well if that is your reasoning then none of the films are made by Marvel. However from what you first said “he’s not Marvel” you only tried to clarify after others had said the rights might be owned by someone else but it’s Marvel.
The simple thing for you to say was oh yeah I get it’s marvel but the distributor is fox. It’s still a marvel film, hence the marvel logo and marketing.
Anyway it really doesn’t matter, Marvel character in a marvel film distributed and filmed by Fox. Same as Spider-Man was a marvel character in a marvel film distributed by Sony.

Any so THOR Ragnarok aye, quite liked the music but some of the jokes fell a little flat. Highlight is when Zepplin kicks in on the bridge.
It isn't though, its a fox movie - they're writing it, they're casting it, they're selecting the script.
Its fox paying for the marketing, they're required as part of their contract to show the marvel logo but marvel have little or nothing to do with the films.
Theres no real oversight, theres no real consultation in their making.
Fox could make an xmen movie set in the My Little Pony universe and marvel wouldn't have any say in the matter.
Marvel have intentionally been ignoring xmen for years to pressure fox into having to 'maintain' the characters with regular releases and marketing
(something they're again contractually obliged to do)

Marvel film studios is kind of distinct from Marvel comics atm.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Sorry I'm confused do some people think marvel made Kingsmen?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Characters like Deadpool and Logan are Marvel properties but their film rights were sold to Fox, Sony etc. So They can't be part of the MCU because that universe has Disney as the studio.

They've made a deal with Sony to use Spiderman and will probably get the rights to X-Men and Deadpool once the Fox takeover is done.

Pretty simple.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Watched this last night. It's just a bunch of stuff happening with no reason given for you to care why. The characters were all made to look stupid and in most cases made no sense.

Trying too hard to be another Guardians of the Galaxy. Managed to be funny in places but more often just ends up being dumb.

If this was released as a DC film everyone would be moaning about it being stupid and a load of shite

Sylar

Not really
I want dc and marvel to both succeed as I like both and don't have a favour or bias to either

This I loved. The plot was simple but they gladly played towards the humour

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I didn't like it. Humour is good when it's funny. Not when it means you spend half the film cringing at how stupid the characters are...and not when it completely downplays any reason you have to care about what's going on. A number of significant characters dying or seeming to completely change their whole role/persona just got brushed over as nothing moments. It felt at times like they'd had to re-write half the film in the space of a day or something.

I mean I wouldn't criticise but these are fairly simple films with a fairly simple formula. You can add a bit more humour in without sacrificing pretty much everything else.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I kind of agree with noods. I can understand why people like it, but I’m a bit baffled by people calling it the best one of these, ever. Especially in relation to how it stacks up against Black Panther, a film with virtually the same plot (main character loses his father, only for previously unknown family member with grudge to usurp his throne and force him to win it back, etc) that actually takes the serious parts of itself seriously.

I mean, Thor loses his dad and practically all of his childhood friends in this film and the most we see him bothered is at losing his sodding hammer. He doesn’t seem remotely put out by any of this (if anything he seems quite chipper throughout) and so the film feels rather flippant, accordingly. I would spoiler that, but it’s not like the film treats any of it as anything to worry about, so I’m not sure why I should. It’s just some stuff that happens between the comedy set peices.

I mean, it is funny, don’t get me wrong. And none of these films are masterpieces. But if you liked it more than BP you’re definitely a racist, is all. A massive, massive racist. Also you don’t understand films. Basically you’re awful all round.

Last edited:

caid

I kind of agree with noods. I can understand why people like it, but I’m a bit baffled by people calling it the best one of these, ever. Especially in relation to how it stacks up against Black Panther, a film with virtually the same plot (main character loses his father, only for previously unknown family member with grudge to usurp his thrown and force him to win it back, etc) that actually takes the serious parts of itself seriously.

I mean, Thor loses his dad and practically all of his childhood friends in this film and the most we see him bothered is at losing his sodding hammer. He doesn’t seem remotely put out by any of this (if anything he seems quite chipper throughout) and so the film feels rather flippant, accordingly. I would spoiler that, but it’s not like the film treats any of it as anything to worry about, so I’m not sure why I should. It’s just some stuff that happens between the comedy set peices.

I mean, it is funny, don’t get me wrong. And none of these films are masterpieces. But if you liked it more than BP you’re definitely a racist, is all. A massive, massive racist. Also you don’t understand films. Basically you’re awful all round.
I haven't seen black panther yet so im a double racist unfortunately.

Hephaestus

I kind of agree with noods. I can understand why people like it, but I’m a bit baffled by people calling it the best one of these, ever. Especially in relation to how it stacks up against Black Panther, a film with virtually the same plot (main character loses his father, only for previously unknown family member with grudge to usurp his throne and force him to win it back, etc) that actually takes the serious parts of itself seriously.

Not really. After Odin dies, he basically loses control, the stormclouds appear and I think he starts lighting up as well. Loki basically wets himself when he realises how pissed Thor is at that point. After that, Hela shows up giving him a fight to focus on, he falls onto Sakar, gets attacked etc and the first chance he really has to process what happened is in the tunnel scene where he's still pretty pissed at Loki. I'd have preferred more time between Odin's death and Hela showing up to explore it more but he was definitely more bothered about that than Mjolnir.

El-Manos

So rewatched both War of the planet of the apes and Thor Ragnarok today....

loved War of the planet of the apes after my first viewing but after watching it a second time, I only thought it was ok. Thor was the opposite, thought it was fine in cinema even a tad overrated, but loved it after watching it a second time(subtitles made the movie a lot funnier, missed half the jokes first time round for some reason).

Thor is just so likeable in this one, loved his overall chemistry with Loki, Hulk & Banner. The overall humor was great (was in tears when Loki & Thor were about to face Hela "we're not doing get help again". Still not a big fan of the Valkyrie woman, but she was fine I suppose, just not as memorable as others claim. Overall very enjoyable, Hela is a proper badass too. On par with Killmonger, only Thanos is a better villain in the Marvel universe.

In other words, Thor Ragnarok provided the necessary boost to Thor's character, just like Winter Soldier did for Cap, making them a lot more likeable while equally adding depth. A nice sense of freshness.

Last edited:

Acole9

Outstanding
I watched this on the plane, I think it's the best one yet. The guy who plays Hulk is a lot more natural in this than the latest Avengers film.

lsd

The Oracle
Going for the most steroids taken for one film award this year?