Thoughts on the increased stoppage time?

What do you think of the increased stoppage time at the World Cup?

• In favour

Votes: 176 87.6%
  • Not in favour

Votes: 22 10.9%
  • What increased stoppage time?!

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Huge yay and I think it'll lead eventually to an in-play clock.
If they were to do that, they'd have to reduce the playing time to 60 minutes, otherwise games would be lasting 4 hours long and it won't be sustainable for players.

Ludens the Red

Presumably the 8 people who voted down did not watch Uniteds games against Newcastle and Atletico Madrid …

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I don't think it's particularly useful for this tournament because teams won't adapt quickly enough; all you're getting is the same amount of time wasting, longer games and players on both sides unprepared to play the extra length of time, leading to some pretty drab finishes filled with a lot of cramp. It does make some sense to use the World Cup to establish a global precedent on new rules and norms, but in this case it feels like it'll take a long time after the tournament for it tackle the problem it's trying to address.

phelans shorts

I get your point but its not that difficult to plan in an extra 10-15 minutes every game. If you cant make that just leave before the end. Seems an easy fix really.
Why should people have to leave before the end all the time? This is proper it isn’t broke so why fix it stuff.

London for instance. United regularly play there at 5:30, so roughy 7:30 finish already. The last train to Manchester is 9pm usually. That’s 90 minutes to get across London, in gridlock traffic, with all the locals also heading to the tube in their droves and actually knowing local shortcuts etc… It’s already very tricky to do it at the best of times, so adding 15 minutes to that will make it even more so. For reference last time I did get the train from a London game (Spurs last year, funnily enough a train fell on the track overnight so if we hadn’t made it we were stuck there until Monday) I made it to Euston 90 seconds before the train to Manchester left, and that’s after sneaking into a tube station near the ground via a fire exit to skip the queue.

Kag

Not sustainable outside of the sandbox. Television and transport logistics will come up trumps.

It’s well intended, mind. Probably too far the other way, though.

Josh 76

Love it. Just need some transparency of added time in added time. Or, stop the clock whenever the ball goes out of play during added time.
If there is going be 10 or so minutes added on, there will definitely be time wasting in those 10 mins.
So you may see this soon;
90+10.
90(10) +3

Josh 76

Hopefully it will make teams less likely to blatently time waste. Of course its going to make extra time interesting, we are going to end up with 2 and a half hour games.
A goal in injury time will never feel the same again!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Why should people have to leave before the end all the time? This is proper it isn’t broke so why fix it stuff.

London for instance. United regularly play there at 5:30, so roughy 7:30 finish already. The last train to Manchester is 9pm usually. That’s 90 minutes to get across London, in gridlock traffic, with all the locals also heading to the tube in their droves and actually knowing local shortcuts etc… It’s already very tricky to do it at the best of times, so adding 15 minutes to that will make it even more so. For reference last time I did get the train from a London game (Spurs last year, funnily enough a train fell on the track overnight so if we hadn’t made it we were stuck there until Monday) I made it to Euston 90 seconds before the train to Manchester left, and that’s after sneaking into a tube station near the ground via a fire exit to skip the queue.
That’s where we disagree. It doesn’t work any more and football needs to do something about the time wasting. I take your point about certain games but I think the added time would be okay more often than not.

SER19

Short of a stopped clock it's absolutely the best change in ages. No brainer

RedDevilQuebecois

Honestly, you would not need increased stoppage time if referees started punishing timewasting with quick and automatic yellow cards. If I may add, denying substitutions during stoppage time is another means to keep it short; you had 90 minutes to make whatever necessary changes.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
You don't know what you've got until it's gone.
Honestly missed it, and ref blowing up dead on 94 when there was an injury is a joke.

Zero incentive not to timewaste in the prem which at times makes football unwatchable.

stoinz

I love it during the world cup. I'm sure teams will find other ways to time wasting in future but it will be much harder.

Bert_

I've come around to the idea of 30 min halves. Clock stops when the ball is dead. Eliminates time wasting completely and will probably increase the amount of actual football played each half.

NLunited

matches at WC were about 10 minutes longer, whereabouts. Make halves 40 minutes, that would sort it.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Looks like the World Cup levels of added time could be being rolled out across the rest of football:
BBC Sport said:
The Qatar World Cup will be remembered as the tournament which finally saw Lionel Messi get his hands on the trophy - but the amount of stoppage time in matches was also one of its biggest talking points.

The tournament produced some of the longest World Cup games on record after Fifa instructed fourth officials to keep track of time lost, and we could be about to see the trend rolled out to all top domestic leagues from next season.

In January the International Football Association Board (IFAB) met in London. IFAB oversees the laws of the game and how they are administered, and their wish is to "create fairer conditions for both teams in terms of the amount of time available in a match".

A change in the guidelines - rather than the laws - regards actual playing time is expected to be ratified at the IFAB's annual general meeting on Saturday.

Pronewbie

Peep
Looks like the World Cup levels of added time could be being rolled out across the rest of football:
I like its evolution during the World Cup. We saw 10+mins added at the start mostly because teams weren't familiar with it and continued to time-waste. After the first week the refs slightly toned down the number of minutes added, and teams reduced their time-wasting shenanigans.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
While I do want this to happen I’d much prefer a stop clock. All this is doing is keeping a level of subjectivity and control in hands of referees who will continue to make baffling decisions that have no logic behind them. In particular I really hate the referees decide when games are finished if the margin is three or more goals. The main issue I have with that is the football last season and not 90 minutes and goal difference can play a factor. You also have a betting to take into account which is why the integrity is so important.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
60 minutes games with stop clock should be trialled. See how it works or not.

Matt007a

Id rather the stopwatch approach as well. Adding on more stoppage time will drag the matches out to 2 hours long.

60 minute matches would still give us more game time as the average seems to be down in the 50s and the teams would know exactly how long they have left to play instead of guessing what the referee is going to add. Not to mention they often blow up earlier than they’re supposed to or add on extra minutes if the home crowd/team are demanding it.

Imagine scoring 1 second before or after the timer hits 0. It could add a slightly different aspect of drama to the game.

Siorac

I'm not a fan of the stop clock idea. One of the lovely things about football is that if a game kicks off at, say, 17:00, you can expect that in 99% of cases it will be over by 19:00. It's nice and predictable, you can plan your evenings. With a stop clock, that's gone.

Simply increasing stoppage time is a better solution from that perspective.

kthanksbye

No cards to be issued for time wasting during the game as they just end up wasting more time.
The 4th official or someone in the VAR room just makes notes and after the game refs release the list of players booked for time wasting.
Also, this extended added time, time wasting antics should take care of itself in half a season.