Three reasons to be really, really cautious about a Dybala deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastwalker

So, Paulo Dybala could be joining United in a swap deal with Romelu Lukaku. No doubt about it, Dybala is a top player and by any measure is an upgrade on Romelu Lukaku. If it means getting a player who has made clear that he does not want to be at United, out of the club, then I would bite Juve's hand off and pay Lukaku's cab fare to the airport. This is a win-win for all isn't it?

Call me over-cautious, but the more I read and hear about the prospect of the Dybala deal the more I am beginning to think that United have been here before. Set out below are three reasons why I think we need to be really, really cautious about this deal;

1. Let's be honest the player wants to stay at Juventus - there is no transfer in the world that is guaranteed to succeed. All transfer business is risk capital. However, I always tend to be much more optimistic when I know that a player genuinely wants to come to my club. When they make clear their desire by expressing their admiration at the thought of being linked with our club or do not hesitate once the opportunity has been offered, that is how I know. To the best of my knowledge, Dybala has done none of those things. In fact if reports are to be believed he is seeking to confirm whether or not he still has a future at Juve. This is already beginning to feel like the Angel Di Maria and Alexis Sanchez deals both of which were utterly disastrous.

2. United's experience of signing South American players is a mixed bag - remember Juan Sebastian Veron? Angel Di Maria? Radamel Falcao? Anderson? Kleberson? No? What about Alexis Sanchez? and Marcos Rojo? On the flip side there have been some success stories, remember Carlos Tevez? Garielle Heinze? Clearly, past performance cannot always be a predictor of the future, but the facts are that United's transfer record with South American players is not great.

3. What is the incentive other than money? - convince me otherwise but I cannot see why on earth a player of that quality would want to come to United other than money. Wan-Bissaka? Yes, Harry Maguire? Yes, Bruno Fernandez? Yes, Milinkovic-Savic? Yes, Dybala? Sorry, but I cannot see why he wants to come and if I am not convinced pg why he wants to come, then I am not convinced of what he has to offer. We are not offering him Champions League, guaranteed trophies or the chance to play for a club that is bigger than the one he is at. Rather we are offering him more money and the chance to visit obscure places in northern and far eastern Europe on a Thursday night. All that is going to inspire him to produce his best form right?

Sorry for being negative guys, but I am fed up of seeing United mugged off and this smells like just another mugging in the making.

What do you think?

Litch

Yep sounds very similar to the last one that only lasted a season......

rhoff113

I feel that even he's not want to leave Juve for England, he will be professional and appreciate his time here more and more.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I created the exact same thread yesterday and it was closed so yeah this won't last long

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I created the exact same thread yesterday and it was closed so yeah this won't last long
Can't go against the hivemind. Personally I'm very much in favor of a move for Dybala but I can see why one could have serious reservations. Good post OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.