Tifo IRL: Who is actually the best free-kick taker of all time?

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Juninho is such a hipster choice. He lives off of those 2 famous knuckleball free kicks.

You cant beat Beckham for his sheer quality. Even his non direct free kicks were always on the money. So many dangerous corners too.

Messi is the best in terms of modern day. The amount of free kicks he scored at Barca was insane.
Juninho isn't a hipster choice. Juninho is an obvious choice. Anyone saying it is not Juninho is a hipster.

Lord SInister

Juninho, obviously. Easy answer. Never heard of Marcelinho Carioca before. Wikipedia actually says he scored 80! And the compilation posted here says he deserves a shout. You can't make a greatest list without Becks though. Sacrilege.
Marcelinho was lethal from free kicks. I think there are plenty of Brazilians. I mean while Zico may not have had range as Juninho but for shorter distance free kicks, I don't think anyone is better than Zico. Platini is another monster in this regard.

Charles Miller

I dont know why but i find those free kicks taken with technique and skills really unsatisfactory. I prefer someone like Roberto Carlos who would just blast the ball and the keeper into the net.

Needham

I dont know why but i find those free kicks taken with technique and skills really unsatisfactory. I prefer someone like Roberto Carlos who would just blast the ball and the keeper into the net.
Post just one where he blasts the keeper into the net.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
I once wrote the best top 10 FK takers (my personal choice)
Only remember the top 3 (Juninho, Mihajlovic, Beckham), the rest 7 don't remember, Ceni, van Hooijdonk, Chilavert, Pirlo or Del Piero or both, Nakamura, Recoba and M. Assuncao (probably).

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
There are compilations of all the free kicks scored by these guys on Youtube. I was thinking Juninho was overrated but watching all of them I think he's number 1. He had great variety, outside of the boot, inside, power and placement. Rogerio Ceni was also excellent.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
How come Juninho never made it further than Lyon? He was the standout player for them for many years. Won 7 league titles in a row with them and stood out in the CL too.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How come Juninho never made it further than Lyon? He was the standout player for them for many years. Won 7 league titles in a row with them and stood out in the CL too.
Lyon were a good team and he was paid well.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Maradona
Koeman
Roberto Carlos
Beckham
Juninho
Ronaldinho
Pirlo
CR
Messi

Trezeguet17

Back in the days when I watched the highlights of the dutch league on EuroGoals there was a dude called van Hoydonk who was banging in freekicks almost every week. Was about the same time Juninho peaked at Lyon

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Back in the days when I watched the highlights of the dutch league on EuroGoals there was a dude called van Hoydonk who was banging in freekicks almost every week. Was about the same time Juninho peaked at Lyon
Pierre van Hooijdonk is a decent shout. Played for Celtic and Forest in the 90s as well. Fairly similar technique and run up angle to Beckham for a lot of them.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Mihajlovic was actually the best fk and set piece taker in terms of efficiency. He needed less atempts to score or to create havoc that lead to a goal.

JPRouve

Scout
Are you aware about a concept known as "figure of speech"?
To be fair, your point isn't even that strange. The "technical" free kicks look too easy, people immediately question the goalkeeper. It's a bit like a heavy hitter in boxing versus a technician and precision striker, people tend to be more excited by the former.

Charles Miller

To be fair, your point isn't even that strange. The "technical" free kicks look too easy, people immediately question the goalkeeper. It's a bit like a heavy hitter in boxing versus a technician and precision striker, people tend to be more excited by the former.
I dont know the statistics, but i suspect is less efficient to hit the ball like Roberto Carlos. I remember a CB named Alex, who played for PSG and Chelsea. He had a powerful free kick. He would miss the vast majority, but when he scored it was beautiful.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Zico should enter any top 10 compilation, no? Mind you I haven't watched football in the past 5 years.

JPRouve

Scout
I dont know the statistics, but i suspect is less efficient to hit the ball like Roberto Carlos. I remember a CB named Alex, who played for PSG and Chelsea. He had a powerful free kick. He would miss the vast majority, but when he scored it was beautiful.
It wasn't beautiful, there was nothing beautiful about Alex's free kicks. :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He almost single handedly won us the UEFA cup in 2002 with his free kicks.

He's now a prominent (albeit shite) pundit.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Marcelinho was lethal from free kicks. I think there are plenty of Brazilians. I mean while Zico may not have had range as Juninho but for shorter distance free kicks, I don't think anyone is better than Zico. Platini is another monster in this regard.
Agree

In 20-25 meters, no one comes close to Zico. He was a free-kick machine at this range. His free-kick relied more on techniques( curve shot) and accuracy more than pure power.

Lord SInister

Agree

In 20-25 meters, no one comes close to Zico. He was a free-kick machine at this range. His free-kick relied more on techniques( curve shot) and accuracy more than pure power.
Yeah his technique is similar to Messi(or Messi's technique is like him). Messi must have to be most improved player when it comes to free kicks though. His earlier free kicks were horrendous.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
In what way does that resembles a knuckle, or is it just another one of those anti-descriptive Americanism's that means nothing?

I'm sure half the people reading this thread had never even heard of the term until they saw it here.
What?
What does it have to do with America, I strictly heard the term by using mostly European centered forum and media.
Here's its description from Wikipedia
In association football (soccer), the method of striking the ball so that it produces almost no spinning motion during its flight has been colloquially described as "knuckleballing" by commentators, due to the ball's motion that resembles a baseball thrown with a knuckleball pitch. This shooting technique is frequently used by players for long-range shots and free kicks. A successful knuckleball shot will move, dip, or wobble in the air unpredictably, making it difficult for the goalkeeper to save.[31] This technique has also been described as the "dry leaf" or "dead leaf" ("folha seca" in Portuguese),[32] the "tomahawk",[33] or even "the accursed" ("maledetta" in Italian).[34]
One of the main proponents of this shooting technique was Brazilian playmaker Juninho Pernambucano, who popularised it in particular during his time with Lyon in the mid 2000s;[35] however, it is commonly thought to have been invented by compatriot Didi,[32][36][37] although Italian forward Giuseppe Meazza before him is also credited with using the technique.[38][39][40][41][42] This technique has also been used and even adapted by several other players, such as Andrea Pirlo,[43][34] Ronaldinho, Cristiano Ronaldo,[44] Didier Drogba,[44] and Gareth Bale.[33]

Even if it originated from America, folk didn't hesitate to pick it up.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
What?
What does it have to do with America, I strictly heard the term by using mostly European centered forum and media.
Here's its description from Wikipedia
In association football (soccer), the method of striking the ball so that it produces almost no spinning motion during its flight has been colloquially described as "knuckleballing" by commentators, due to the ball's motion that resembles a baseball thrown with a knuckleball pitch. This shooting technique is frequently used by players for long-range shots and free kicks. A successful knuckleball shot will move, dip, or wobble in the air unpredictably, making it difficult for the goalkeeper to save.[31] This technique has also been described as the "dry leaf" or "dead leaf" ("folha seca" in Portuguese),[32] the "tomahawk",[33] or even "the accursed" ("maledetta" in Italian).[34]
One of the main proponents of this shooting technique was Brazilian playmaker Juninho Pernambucano, who popularised it in particular during his time with Lyon in the mid 2000s;[35] however, it is commonly thought to have been invented by compatriot Didi,[32][36][37] although Italian forward Giuseppe Meazza before him is also credited with using the technique.[38][39][40][41][42] This technique has also been used and even adapted by several other players, such as Andrea Pirlo,[43][34] Ronaldinho, Cristiano Ronaldo,[44] Didier Drogba,[44] and Gareth Bale.[33]

Even if it originated from America, folk didn't hesitate to pick it up.
. resembles a baseball thrown with a knuckleball pitch

JPRouve

Scout
@Sassy Colin is there a term that you are familiar with that describes the same movement?

JPRouve

Scout
I'm thinking "HOLY feck :eek: ", or something.
Okay but that doesn't help me understand what you saw, so why would you have a problem with the use of a term that makes sense for people when explained. Whether it originates from the US or Zimbabwe shouldn't matter as long as it is useful.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I always thought they were called knuckleballs due to being hit with the "knuckle" part of the foot :lol:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In what way does that resembles a knuckle, or is it just another one of those anti-descriptive Americanism's that means nothing?

I'm sure half the people reading this thread had never even heard of the term until they saw it here.
Don’t tell me it’s the first time you’ve heard of the term “knuckleball”….

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Not the best taker of all time but Gareth Bale has (surprise surprise) scored a fair amount for Wales.

stevoc

So where did Beckham, Koeman and Mihajlovic come in TIFO's ranking?