Time to get militant?

MalaysianRed7

What do you mean? It will be 75.000 no matter who we sign and regardless what happens in Brentford
I was being optimistic, but yes you are probably right. The social media movement that’s going on now is a straw for us to clutch on to though.

Toblerone92

I’m going to catch so much stick for this, but people will probably just support a better run club in greater and greater numbers as time goes on, rather than fight a losing battle to reanimated the corpse of United.
Let us know how that goes. Great way to introduce yourself as a new member.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I was being optimistic, but yes you are probably right. The social media movement that’s going on now is a straw for us to clutch on to though.
To be honest, I didn't know about any movement before posting. Having seen it now, I'd still be very surprised if the stadium isn't packed to the max anyway

McTerminator

Let us know how that goes. Great way to introduce yourself as a new member.
First top red spotted, good stuff.

Failed to understand my post or check my post numbers, good stuff.

Let me make it simple, you don’t think support for the clu has diminished over the last 15 years and will continue to diminish?

You don’t think the clubs resources are beginning to wane as a result of the above?

If so, wake up.

MalaysianRed7

I’m going to catch so much stick for this, but people will probably just support a better run club in greater and greater numbers as time goes on, rather than fight a losing battle to reanimate the corpse of United.
I can assure you, no one here is changing clubs anytime soon.

Unless you mean that less kids will support us in future generations.

McTerminator

I can assure you, no one here is changing clubs anytime soon.
Whether they go somewhere else or not, active support for United is diminishing which is what really matters.

Sh*te results, sh*te football and blood sucking owners is not sustainable and people are more likely to give up than to do prolonged fights and protests.

EDIT: I am definitely thinking about less kids supporting us in future too. It’s a surprise to see kids wearing United gear these days.

Last edited:

Blue Llama

Supports
Man City
Sir Jim Ratcliffe could definitely afford us. His net worth is around 21 billion. And he’s a United fan, and he recently said he would consider bidding for us if we were for sale, which is the problem.
Of course, there are other options of say a joint venture where the fans own 25% Ratcliffe owns 50% and another group owns 25%. Just an example. Michael Knighton is currently working on putting a similar bid together with interested parties.
All Ratcliffe's businesses are privately owned, even though some are huge he doesn't take them to shared equity through the markets. His businesses are run one way, his way. No chance he would share any part of United. He also plays hard ball better than anyone else. Not offering an opinion either way on him being a better owner or not but don't expect a supporter easy ride if he was.

Toblerone92

Let me make it simple, you don’t think support for the clu has diminished over the last 15 years and will continue to diminish?

You don’t think the clubs resources are beginning to wane as a result of the above?

If so, wake up.
To be totally honest, I don’t really care. I know which club I support and if kids today choose to support a different club then who can blame them?

The idea however that current ‘fans’ will choose to go and support another team because supporting Manchester United has been too much of an ordeal over the past few years is nauseating.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
1. Elon is batshit crazy and a media whore. I wouldn't count him as one of the good potential owners.

2. Fan owner seems like a good idea but the worst case scenario we are seeing in Barcelona. The club's in a financial clusterfeck -- and since its a fan-owned club you cant have some rich billionaire swoop down and bail them out.
The problem with fan-owned clubs is that every few years you have elections -- then every president of the club sounds like he is running for election every day. Look at the crap laporta is spewing out now?
If you think United is divided and toxic now, imagine the situation where we are in debt of $1.3 billion and sold out a bunch of your assets?

3. So who has money -- Chinese, Americans and Middle Eastern billionaires. Ratcliffe cant afford to buy United and besides he looks like he runs each of his sporting clubs like its a business -- like the Glazers.
Pre 2005, United could have worked as a kind of hybrid fan owned model. Maybe a Supporters Trust owning 33% and local businessmen and women owning 5/10% each.

To be totally honest, I don’t really care. I know which club I support and if kids today choose to support a different club then who can blame them?

The idea however that current ‘fans’ will choose to go and support another team because supporting Manchester United has been too much of an ordeal over the past few years is nauseating.
Nobody is supporting another team due to the current situation (aside from FCUM which I'd always define as another branch of Man United anyway).

What might start happening is factors outside of football (cost of living etc) start to have an impact. Suddenly spending all that money watching football when you're not enjoying it becomes an issue. This is gonna happen with a lot of clubs.

ROFLUTION

If so, wake up.
I don't know who of you are right, but you could probably read into revenues from the last 10 years to see if it has any impact. The markets for football has grown, so the fanbase might have too - Then some "hardcore" fans might have dropped using money, but it could as well be that Glazers are still earning the same due to the fanbase/TV-income just becoming broader as Premier League is viewed more. In the end that will be what matters to the Glazers, that their golden egg generates stable income. Losing fans here and there, is of course of concern to them, but I'm not sure they're shitting their pants about some "old" fans being less engaged in the future.

Banana Republic

I’m another who’s going to be very unpopular.
The more I read threads like this, the more I‘m convinced this sort of action will only end up being a catastrophic act of long term self harm for Utd, as a football club, for its image and it’s position in the football hierarchy.
Our financial strength and supporting income isn’t a given and cannot be guaranteed to return, if it takes a significant hit.
Utd will become ( if we’re not already on the way) yesterdays news, to potential new supporters, to the media and most importantly, to the potential sponsors, who will simply walk away and find more fertile ground.

This is already happening, as a result of our lack of success and gradual slide backwards on the football pitch.
That slide can only be arrested by improved results on the pitch and the resurgence of a wholly positive vibe.
Increasing the amount of toxicity and negativity around the club, can only do the opposite and accelerate the aura of decline.
Cutting off your nose to spite your face, springs to mind.

The Glazer cnuts aren’t going to just simply walk away if the value of the club starts to slide.
They’ll want to find ways to regain and pump up its value and that might include sticking it out until the club’s fortunes improve.

Waynne

Not sure I follow that. Why shouldn’t the club be able to do that, especially with the racism incident and with fans writing to the club asking not to sign him. Would be even more tone deaf to persist with the signing.
Because an elite club, any club, transfer activity shouldn't be swayed by outside sources. Might as well then just make the united recruitment team redundant and get new players in based off Twitter polls.

Highlyevolved

This has been doing the rounds all day, something brewing for sure, reckon we are going to see another cancelled game which in the grand scheme of things most of us happy to miss this game if it sends a message to the Glazers.

The problem we have though is for it have to any real effect we need to do it every week which is going to be virtually impossible.
I think the televised Liverpool match would stoke the fire enough to get something started. Once there’s momentum it’d be easier to organise.

Highlyevolved

I’m another who’s going to be very unpopular.
The more I read threads like this, the more I‘m convinced this sort of action will only end up being a catastrophic act of long term self harm for Utd, as a football club, for its image and it’s position in the football hierarchy.
Our financial strength and supporting income isn’t a given and cannot be guaranteed to return, if it takes a significant hit.
Utd will become ( if we’re not already on the way) yesterdays news, to potential new supporters, to the media and most importantly, to the potential sponsors, who will simply walk away and find more fertile ground.

This is already happening, as a result of our lack of success and gradual slide backwards on the football pitch.
That slide can only be arrested by improved results on the pitch and the resurgence of a wholly positive vibe.
Increasing the amount of toxicity and negativity around the club, can only do the opposite and accelerate the aura of decline.
Cutting off your nose to spite your face, springs to mind.

The Glazer cnuts aren’t going to just simply walk away if the value of the club starts to slide.
They’ll want to find ways to regain and pump up its value and that might include sticking it out until the club’s fortunes improve.
I see your point of view, but I politely disagree. I think it’s evident now that the Glazers will continue dragging us on this downward spiral. No action from the fans now means in another 2 years; we’ll be even further down the spiral.

We need to stop the downward spiral, the supporters have all the power if we rise.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Something big needs to happen before the game against Liverpool but no violence.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
DDoS the ticket office (and any others selling tickets) website so it's impossible to buy one online, have people stand in front of the turnstiles there so people can't get tickets who aren't ST holders.

Get all season ticket holders not to bother, at lesat for the first 15 minutes or something effective.

Have everyone else do the same.

Can't be that hard.

Can't see it being done and can't see it being done peacefully either sadly.

hp88

DDoS the ticket office (and any others selling tickets) website so it's impossible to buy one online, have people stand in front of the turnstiles there so people can't get tickets who aren't ST holders.

Get all season ticket holders not to bother, at lesat for the first 15 minutes or something effective.

Have everyone else do the same.

Can't be that hard.

Can't see it being done and can't see it being done peacefully either sadly.
Think the club have already done a good job of this themselves.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Getting games called off, points deductions, pissed off sponsors, etc is the only way the Glazers will listen.

hp88

Something big needs to happen before the game against Liverpool but no violence.
The only way forward is causing enough chaos which leads to games either being delayed or called off. There is no peaceful way of turfing them out at this point.

Jericholyte2

Gary Neville is speaking 100% truth today.

As fans we CANNOT go after the owners, Arnold, Murtough etc personally, that would be 100% crossing the line. The only valuable target we as fans can have here is the club and team itself.

We need to peacefully protest in such a way where United can’t fulfil fixtures. That is the only way we get these parasites out.

If we stop games from happening we get other owners riled up, we get governing bodies rules up, we get sponsors not wanting to associate with that brand.

If we are to ever see green shoots of recovery, we need to be willing to raze the club as it is now, because right now all it’s doing is dying from a slow, terminal illnesses.

We need to put the club, as it is, out of its misery, and then look to rebuild.

croadyman

Gary Neville is speaking 100% truth today.

As fans we CANNOT go after the owners, Arnold, Murtough etc personally, that would be 100% crossing the line. The only valuable target we as fans can have here is the club and team itself.

We need to peacefully protest in such a way where United can’t fulfil fixtures. That is the only way we get these parasites out.

If we stop games from happening we get other owners riled up, we get governing bodies rules up, we get sponsors not wanting to associate with that brand.

If we are to ever see green shoots of recovery, we need to be willing to raze the club as it is now, because right now all it’s doing is dying from a slow, terminal illnesses.

We need to put the club, as it is, out of its misery, and then look to rebuild.
Why can't we go after them

sifi36

The idea in our fan base that peaceful, non-disruptive protest will have any impact is misguided at best and an uncharitable take might be to suggest that it’s knowingly giving the Glazers an easy ride.

- The company is effectively privately owned given the disparity in voting rights between Class A and B, no hostile takeover is possible, despite Knighton’s bluster.
- As such, the only way a sale is possible is for the Glazers to accept an offer.
-They believe that they can hold out for something in the 7-8 billion range, which would be attainable if the Super League or an analogous concept were to take off. This looks unlikely for now.
- No sane person with the means to make such an offer would agree with this valuation, given the club needs 1.5-2 billion in investment to improve the ground, training facilities and playing squad. The club could have done this with its own funds, but is no longer in the position to do so given the draining of resources over the last 17 years.
- There would be willing buyers in the 3-4 billion range (the Saudis offered 3.8, Ratcliffe would probably move at this figure)
- As supporters, our only move is to motivate the Glazers into accepting a realistic offer.
- A negative PR and commercial impact is the only way to motivate the Glazers in this direction, see their attempts at placating fans following the Liverpool 2021 postponement. Concerted action of this type will make them seriously consider cashing out.

No change is possible without short-term pain, otherwise the status quo remains. The direct action that achieved societal change in every decade before the 80s has been painted by those in power as violent and unnecessary. The greatest trick pulled by western institutions is to get those they supposedly serve to lie back and be accepting in the pillaging of their livelihoods and culture.

Last edited:
All it requires is the fans to starve the Glazers of funds: no tickets, no merchandise. They will stay for as long as it's in their financial interests. Once the revenue ceases, they will be away. However, it's much easier said than done. The Glazers have been here seventeen years so far, but we haven't been able to organise it. Others clubs have been able do it: Rangers in Scotland got rid of their previous owners, once the team was playing in front of just a few thousand fans.

George The Best

All it requires is the fans to starve the Glazers of funds: no tickets, no merchandise. They will stay for as long as it's in their financial interests. Once the revenue ceases, they will be away. However, it's much easier said than done. The Glazers have been here seventeen years so far, but we haven't been able to organise it. Others clubs have been able do it: Rangers in Scotland got rid of their previous owners, once the team was playing in front of just a few thousand fans.
I really don’t think the fans can do much to change the ownership here. OT will get 75,000 in every match, and they will still receive the TV and sponsorship money. They will still get a fair share of merchandise also. Right now the Glazers don’t need to worry too much about the share value - as long as we’re generating enough to pay them £20+ million a year of free money. Which we certainly will do.

Then you have to wonder who would buy us, even if these protests had any success.

I really don’t think the fans can do much to change the ownership here. OT will get 75,000 in every match, and they will still receive the TV and sponsorship money. They will still get a fair share of merchandise also. Right now the Glazers don’t need to worry too much about the share value - as long as we’re generating enough to pay them £20+ million a year of free money. Which we certainly will do.

Then you have to wonder who would buy us, even if these protests had any success.
Unless we show some solidarity we have no chance of success. We need to stop buying tickets and merchandise, protest outside every home game as a bare minimum. Lobbying sponsors would be another tactic. It requires organisation and commitment, but, ultimately, all every fans needs do is refuse to give them money. The only way to achieve success with people who are here only for money is deprive them of it.

George The Best

Unless we show some solidarity we have no chance of success. We need to stop buying tickets and merchandise, protest outside every home game as a bare minimum. Lobbying sponsors would be another tactic. It requires organisation and commitment, but, ultimately, all every fans needs do is refuse to give them money. The only way to achieve success with people who are here only for money is deprive them of it.
Be better off protesting about the management of the club. The Glazers have made hundreds of millions of pounds available for players over the years. Harsh reality is that the management have blown it making bad purchases and giving out ridiculous contracts. Can’t blame the owners for that.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
OK here's one idea

Don't pay for the cup games and withdraw from the Cup scheme. You'll still have your Season Ticket but you'll starve the Glazers of at least 3 payments of £30 +

Multiply that 40,000 + Season Ticket holders and you start to have an impact.

Could that be done? People will need to sacrifice something...

Be better off protesting about the management of the club. The Glazers have made hundreds of millions of pounds available for players over the years. Harsh reality is that the management have blown it making bad purchases and giving out ridiculous contracts. Can’t blame the owners for that.
And there's the problem. We have apologists for the Glazers. It sounds like you're happy for them to stay, is that correct?

redcucumber

"Made hundreds of millions of pounds available" that's the money the club generated itself. They add absolutely nothing of value and instead take money out of the club for themselves.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
From my post in Newbies:
I'm always afraid of joining groups like 1958 because invariably, the leadership of such organizations start to believe in their own hype and end up becoming gatekeepers and dictators once they consolidate power. Just look at their twitter page - "underground group", "don't care about your likes" - it all comes across as someone with an unfulfilling life trying to make a name for themselves. Sounds very aggressive and may even turn violent.

Whoever decides to join this group - be careful of doing anything illegal. The paradox (right word?) is that if disruptive behavior leads to victory then you are a freedom fighter but if disruptive behavior fails, then you are a terrorist.