Times: Finding buyers for the dead wood is Manchester United’s biggest challenge this window

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
On Reddit someone posted that Mata, Rojo, Lingard, Romero, Grant and Fosu-Mensah all have their contracts running out next year, also Ighalo's loan expires in January. I think we'd be wise to let every single one of them go.
If the past is any indication of the future we'll renew all of their deals to 'protect value.' Then we'll spend the next few years desperately trying to find someone willing to pay big money for them.

DevilRed

A bit annoyed that Rojo is still here. Surely we will terminate his contract and he will go back to Argentina?

Been a difficult summer to get rid of players. Not just for us but for other clubs too.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If the past is any indication of the future we'll renew all of their deals to 'protect value.' Then we'll spend the next few years desperately trying to find someone willing to pay big money for them.
Yeah, I’m just not going to bother thinking about that for now. I’m going to pray we’ve learned our lesson.

Jezpeza

A bit annoyed that Rojo is still here. Surely we will terminate his contract and he will go back to Argentina?

Been a difficult summer to get rid of players. Not just for us but for other clubs too.
Only worth it if he plays ball. He might say he wants the whole lot paid up, then we may as well keep him in case we have a busy week that includes an FA cup away game at Lincoln

Foxbatt

It is not finding buyers that is the problem. It is United asking for ridiculous transfer fees.

Champagne Football

At least all our deadwood will be gone by this time next year, except for Jones. Worth keeping him on a while longer just for the facial expressions in the 2 games he plays for us, and concedes peno's in, each season.

roseguy64

On Reddit someone posted that Mata, Rojo, Lingard, Romero, Grant and Fosu-Mensah all have their contracts running out next year, also Ighalo's loan expires in January. I think we'd be wise to let every single one of them go.
We'll extend Lingard's contract by a year at least

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I feel sorry for Daniel James. He missed his big chance again go to Leeds united for his career. Ryan Giggs ruined his career.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'm more upset about the likes of JLingz and Rojo still being here than the lack of quality transfers for some reason...

starman

Just seen teams from Portugal can still sign players until 25th Oct (not sure about other countries) so there's still a chance we could get rid of some players

Red00012

Agreed. This protect asset rubbish needs to stop its part of the reason where we are. 4 year contract for Pereira last year and we send him on loan this season knowing full well he isn’t good enough. See also Jones , Mata , Lingard , Rojo

Alemar

Just seen teams from Portugal can still sign players until 25th Oct (not sure about other countries) so there's still a chance we could get rid of some players
We can also sell to China

Jezpeza

Agreed. This protect asset rubbish needs to stop its part of the reason where we are. 4 year contract for Pereira last year and we send him on loan this season knowing full well he isn’t good enough. See also Jones , Mata , Lingard , Rojo
To be honest, Mata has quality when he plays, albeit in cups etc. He gets goals and assists. Hes out of contract anyway.

The other 3 are crap though, agreed. I hope Pereira and Dalot get themselves in the shop window this year a la smalling and sanchez

gorky_utd

This is our current squad assuming no more incoming in January.
First team:
Rashford Martial Greenwood
Bruno
Pogba Fred
Telles Maguire Lindelof AWB
DDG
Bench:
James, Cavani, Traore
VDB, Matic, Mctominay
Shaw, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Williams
Dean Henderson

Assuming Mata, Rojo, Ighalo, Romero, Tfm all leaves for free, we still have some sellable players.

Pereira, Dalot, one of (Fred or mctominay), one of ( Bailly or Lindelof), James. Assuming we will need to buy Cb, CDM and a winger next season, player sell is going to be absolutely vital for us. If we manage to get good fee for these players, we can easily generate up to 50 mil plus which can shape our squad nicely.

Redcy

First team:
Bruno
Pogba Fred
DDG
Bench:
James, Cavani, Traore
VDB, Matic, Mctominay
Dean Henderson

Assuming Mata, Rojo, Ighalo, Romero, Tfm all leaves for free, we still have some sellable players.

Pereira, Dalot, one of (Fred or mctominay), one of ( Bailly or Lindelof), James. Assuming we will need to buy Cb, CDM and a winger next season, player sell is going to be absolutely vital for us. If we manage to get good fee for these players, we can easily generate up to 50 mil plus which can shape our squad nicely.
We cant make any money of our sales due to wages. Its well documented the reason noone wants our players is the ludicrous money we pay average players.

croadyman

First team:
Bruno
Pogba Fred
DDG
Bench:
James, Cavani, Traore
VDB, Matic, Mctominay
Dean Henderson

We needed all three in this window but know exactly why we didn't get any of them

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I saw there yesterday we have a lot of deadwood contracts coming up at the end of next season. Just let them all go. Start again. Try and do what Bayern do and tap up players to run their deals down and give them the money a lingard, Jones or mata would have been on. It’ll save us a fortune on fees and we already paying high wages for barely any return anyway

dinostar77

According to Duncan Castles, Rojo offered to leave Utd on a free if they paid up his contract (till july next year) ala West Ham did with Jack Wilshere. Utd said no, they are hoping to get some sort of fee for him in January even though he can sign a pre-contract with someone else. Ridiculous.

Zlatattack

We did alright to get rid of Periera, Dalot, Sanchez, Smalling. Smalling was a decent player - the rest needed to move on.

Still need to shift Jones, Lingard, Rojo at the bare minimum. Would give James 1 more season, see how he gets on.

rotherham_red

I went through the squad yesterday and the following should be realistic outs as far as I'm concerned:

Grant (contract ending)
J Pereira (contract ending)
Romero (will be in to his final year, and is desperate to leave now, might even see him go in January)
Dalot (on loan to Milan and likely will have an option/obligation to purchase by the season's end as I anticipate him doing well over there, where the WB systems are of more prevalence)
TFM (contract ending)
Mata (contract ending)
Ighalo (will be gone in January)

Lingard and Pereira have a chance of leaving, though I'd say it's more likely to be a loan than an outright purchase (unless Pereira absolutely smashes it on loan at Lazio and attracts interest or forces Lazio to pay their 27m option on him). Maybe Bailly too, if he has an absolutely colossal feck up of a season.

Jones and Rojo are lost causes as far as I'm concerned. The former is still here for another 3 years at least, and the latter will go when his contract expires at the end of next season.

A minimum or 7 players should be gone at the season's end, with 4 of them not even needing us to sell. I also think Pogba and DDG will be sold at some point in the next 2 years as well, which should drastically cut the wage bill and free up some space for the priority incomings we require (4 in total - RW, DM, CB and Striker, once Cavani goes).

Brophs

The One and Only
Any day now we'll give Lingard a new deal to ensure we get the sort of fee for him that no one will ever pay.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
According to Duncan Castles, Rojo offered to leave Utd on a free if they paid up his contract (till july next year) ala West Ham did with Jack Wilshere. Utd said no, they are hoping to get some sort of fee for him in January even though he can sign a pre-contract with someone else. Ridiculous.
Not sure what is in it for United. They keep him and hold out on potential fee, or let him go now. The latter is 0 income and the former, even if from a 5% chance, has some income.

rotherham_red

We did alright to get rid of Periera, Dalot, Sanchez, Smalling. Smalling was a decent player - the rest needed to move on.

Still need to shift Jones, Lingard, Rojo at the bare minimum. Would give James 1 more season, see how he gets on.
Agreed on James. He'll have competition from Traore and Pellistri and if he doesn't improve, I can see us letting him go to Leeds at the end of the season.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I mean, it makes business sense and is far from ridiculous. He is training away from the squad so he is hardly doing any harm that we should be paying him to leave.

jackal&hyde

What is ridiculous about it? If we are going to pay him we might as well keep him or get a little something in Jan.

VivaRonaldo85

The case of Phil Jones is as baffling as it gets. He is the very definition of deadwood.

Does anybody know if he is injured as usual or has he been frozen out the squad by Ole? He seems miles away from a match day squad yet picks up his hundreds of thousand of pounds every month. Surely the lad who is already a multi millionaire wants to play some Football rather than sit in the stands every week on a juicy contract with no intention to leave? Or maybe I’m just naive.

I wish the club would be more transparent about these peripheral players.

GBBQ

The case of Phil Jones is as baffling as it gets. He is the very definition of deadwood.

Does anybody know if he is injured as usual or has he been frozen out the squad by Ole? He seems miles away from a match day squad yet picks up his hundreds of thousand of pounds every month. Surely the lad who is already a multi millionaire wants to play some Football rather than sit in the stands every week on a juicy contract with no intention to leave? Or maybe I’m just naive.

I wish the club would be more transparent about these peripheral players.
I don't think many would be quick to give up the kind of money he is on at United. Jones has two options

1. Leave this summer or next (for a fee) to a limited number of clubs to get a much reduced wage (Look after United)
2. Wind down his contract and have a bigger selection of clubs with potential for a higher wage because there's no fee involved (Look after Jones).

He'll be 30 in the summer his contract runs down and i am sure he'll still be seen as a decent gamble by a mid table PL team.

NinjaFletch

I don't think many would be quick to give up the kind of money he is on at United. Jones has two options

1. Leave this summer or next (for a fee) to a limited number of clubs to get a much reduced wage (Look after United)
2. Wind down his contract and have a bigger selection of clubs with potential for a higher wage because there's no fee involved (Look after Jones).

He'll be 30 in the summer his contract runs down and i am sure he'll still be seen as a decent gamble by a mid table PL team.
Well the baffling thing is he got that contract last year! Obviously it makes sense from his view, why we gave him the chance to be in such a position is another question.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
turns out the biggest challenge was also the oldest one: having tossers in charge of everything. whole board should quit in shame

starman

It's crazy how we spend 12m per year in wages on just 3 players that can barely make the bench, in Lingard, Rojo and Jones, and now add Romero, thats 16m :houllier:

Get rid of them and could maybe signs a David Alaba for free next summer

croadyman

It's crazy how we spend 12m per year in wages on just 3 players that can barely make the bench, in Lingard, Rojo and Jones, and now add Romero, thats 16m :houllier:

Get rid of them and could maybe signs a David Alaba for free next summer
The last two in particular because at least Jesse has seen some gametime recently