Times: Finding buyers for the dead wood is Manchester United’s biggest challenge this window

BorisManUtd

Pereira and Smalling seem to be on their way out. Romero and Rojo have one year left on their contract so will probably leave for free next summer. Jones though, he'll never leave with contract until 2023 and constant injuries :lol:

croadyman

Pereira and Smalling seem to be on their way out. Romero and Rojo have one year left on their contract so will probably leave for free next summer. Jones though, he'll never leave with contract until 2023 and constant injuries :lol:
Personally think the best we can sell this week is 5 but most likely to be 3

Red Royal

Watching Fulham right now and for both clubs sakes wish they would take Rojo, Smalling and Jones. Instantly would improve them no end. Could loan 2 and sell 1(?). Wages the obvious issue.

croadyman

Wonder if we have made a mistake in keeping Lingard,get the feeling we thought that the others would bring in money.

Zlatattack

Rumours suggest we might sell Periera, Smalling and Dalot this week. James too if we sign Sancho but i feel that's very unlikely. Still if we get out those 3 it's still good news.

snowkarl

Rumours suggest we might sell Periera, Smalling and Dalot this week. James too if we sign Sancho but i feel that's very unlikely. Still if we get out those 3 it's still good news.
Pereira and Dalot will be going on loans and we subsidize their wages ffs. We're better off keeping them.

Smalling should stay imo but at least I'd be happy if we could get 20m.

20m might be more realistic though

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Just give Jones 30% of his contract and let him leave. He played less than 10 games last year. We really do not need him.
Romero: 1-2 millions max. We have 4 gks ffs, he is probably goning to play 2 games bar a huge injury crisis.
Lingard: 1-2 mil. max (big contract that ends soon, average player)
Rojo: 1 mil. max.

It is not about the money you receive from the fees, it is about the wages you do not pay in the future.
And why would anyone under a contract will accept that?

ti vu

Pereira and Dalot will be going on loans and we subsidize their wages ffs. We're better off keeping them.

Smalling should stay imo but at least I'd be happy if we could get 20m.

20m might be more realistic though
We can't keep them. Tuanzebe, Rashford, AWB, TFM... are no longer U21. They need to be registered. We're some "senior" players over the squad limit before any addition to the squad, that is not U-21 (Sancho is a dream signing partly due to this factor). So our issue is some of them may get paid but not eligible to play first team football at all. Even if we can't sell, we have to loan them out. It's a shamble in term of squad management really.

Last edited:

led_scholes

And why would anyone under a contract will accept that?
I have answered to another poster with the following: It depends. Jones is 28 and by the time his contract ends he will be a 31 years old player who probably has played 5 games per year and will probably be in a difficult position to find a new club with a decent contract then. However, If he accepts a compensation of around 30% of his wages (realistically, it may be even up to 50%), he can find a new club with another 3 years contract. His wages would be lesser or equal to 50% of want he receives now. In a short run of 3 years he may receive 5-10% less than if he had stayed here. The difference is that in another team he would play (not when injured), his mistakes would not be highlighted and he may be able to find a new club at 31 with a decent contract. Thus, in the long run he will receive more money. Of course, he may end up unemployed after a year etc and no team picks him, so eventually he loses money. So, it is up to the player's ambition, self determination and luck (especially with Jones). Another, way is of course to offer him for free and pay again a big amount of his contract, thus making sure to the player that he will at least receive his current contract by the two teams combined (e.g. us paying the 50% of his wages).

Of course it is an assumption. I could 100% understand if Jones would not agree on voluntary redundancy.

R'hllor

Ed + LvG,JM, Ole keep giving contracts with high wages to deadwood that we had slam dunk chances to get rid, instead they get extensions and here we are.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I bet Leeds United will take James for free and salary being subsidized by Man Utd. It can be done.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Dalot, Pereira, Lingard, Mata of which only Dalot and Pereira got loans away. :lol:

We’ve not even shifted Romero, after signing Henderson. (Well ending his loan and extending)

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We do not gain anything from holding on to these players. Their value just goes down window after window. Even if we feel we are being low balled we should just let them go. The money we want for them will never, ever come.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Jones, Rojo, Lingard, Grant, Romero remain with Pereira and Dalot sent out on loan.
Simply not good enough.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Is the transfer window still open after today anywhere else in Europe?

starman

Amazed we didn't sell Romero, thought there would be lots of takers, pointless holding onto him when he's not even going to be making the squad most games and will leave for free next summer...

Last edited:

MrSingh2002

Romero, Rojo and Jones should seriously be leaving. Then Ighalo goes in January too, so that takes it down to 26.
Romero, Jones and Rojo I assume will be shipped off to Championship clubs if possible in the next 10 days?

Romero wasn't allowed to go to Everton because they actually have a better starting 11 than us now. I don't think we can sell them abroad now so let's see who wants them.

Hopefully Dalot does well enough to either prove himself in Italy or well enough to sell him.

I think we're still 2 starters away from challenging for the top 4 this season in a Centre Back and a Right Winger which should've been Upamecamo and Sancho.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
On Reddit someone posted that Mata, Rojo, Lingard, Romero, Grant and Fosu-Mensah all have their contracts running out next year, also Ighalo's loan expires in January. I think we'd be wise to let every single one of them go.