Times: Finding buyers for the dead wood is Manchester United’s biggest challenge this window

romufc

I have always thought we are crazy to be holding out for fees for a lot of the players We consider deadwood.
I don't think that is exactly the case. there are simply no takers for some of our players.

Alot of clubs want them on loan, which is not in line with what the club want.

Where is the interest for Jones, Lingard, Perreira, Rojo, Mata?

Smalling, I agree with the club for sticking to their task. He is one who can fetch a higher fee, we should be looking for £20m

Jezpeza

I don't think that is exactly the case. there are simply no takers for some of our players.

Alot of clubs want them on loan, which is not in line with what the club want.

Where is the interest for Jones, Lingard, Perreira, Rojo, Mata?

Smalling, I agree with the club for sticking to their task. He is one who can fetch a higher fee, we should be looking for £20m
I would agree that there is limited demand but can see lingard and jones doing a decent job for mid table teams. But we would have to accept selling them for 5 mil or something Nominal. Pereira mata and rojo would need to go abroad, dont see any epl takers. To be honest, I would keep mata out of all of them til the end of his contract, he actually gets goals or assists when he is on the field.

With smalling, i am surprised we didnt take the 13mil, thats a 6 million profit on what we paid for him. He wants to leave and is surplus to requirements, plus it saves us 13m on wages so is more like a 26m sale. Cant see a queue of buyers for him.
I thought the point of his and Sanchez's loans was To put them in the shop window

Craig Ward

There’s no chance of so many departures, outside of central defence. Even if we can get Sancho, we’re not just suddenly going to get rid of the three players who can cover those positions. Chong seems to be going on loan too. My prediction is one of Lingard, Andreas and Mata leaves.
Why not?

We can easily get rid of 5/6 players permanently this summer.

Rojo/Smalling/Sanchez are givens to go seeing as they didnt feature at all last year and have no long term future here.

Jones is not needed and wont play even if he stays.

Mata is past it and cant be relied in competitive games

Lingard has been average for years and if we want to challenge we need him out and have him replaced with someone like a Grealish.

Dalot's future doesnt look too rosy either.

There is a lot of scope with us for outgoings. If we dont ship people out, we cant transition the squad like we need too. It's essential players who dont offer much are moved on

We only improve by selling and buying, alongside developing players who have a future here

Riz

Why not?

Rojo/Smalling/Sanchez are givens to go seeing as they didnt feature at all last year and have no long term future here.

Lingard has been average for years and if we want to challenge we need him out and have him replaced with someone like a Grealish.

There is a lot of scope with us for outgoings. If we dont ship people out, we cant transition the squad like we need too. It's essential players who dont offer much are moved on

We only improve by selling and buying, alongside developing players who have a future here
No one is denying that we want to get rid of those names you’ve mentioned. It’s whether there are suitable offers for any of them. All of them have substantial wages compared to the quality of player, unless you’re advocating for us to let all of them leave on a free?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
First time I have opened this thread. Hurst really is a nasty cnut, isn't he? You'd expect insults from the gutter press, but the Times referring to those players who are, shall we say, 'excess to requirements' as "Deadwood". Sports journalists really are the absolute pits of the earth, without exception.

Dan_F

We can easily get rid of 2 CBs. Smalling was on loan all season, Rojo for the last 6 months and Jones has made only a handful of appearance.

I think 2 of Lingard, Andreas and Mata goes. Think it will be Andreas that stays.

I see Dalot going as well, at the very least on
Loan.
Why not?

I clearly said outside of central defence, so I’m not sure why you’re replying to me with centre backs. I’m well aware we can sell there.

I just don’t think we’ll get another attacker after Sancho, so I’m not sure it’s wise to leave the squad even thinner than it has been this season. I’m not saying they’re good enough.

I clearly said outside of central defence, so I’m not sure why you’re replying to me with centre backs. I’m well aware we can sell there.

I just don’t think we’ll get another attacker after Sancho, so I’m not sure it’s wise to leave the squad even thinner than it has been this season. I’m not saying they’re good enough.
And I also stated Dalot and Lingard, and Mata.

I was giving the whole picture of who I think we will get rid of.

Acole9

Outstanding
First time I have opened this thread. Hurst really is a nasty cnut, isn't he? You'd expect insults from the gutter press, but the Times referring to those players who are, shall we say, 'excess to requirements' as "Deadwood". Sports journalists really are the absolute pits of the earth, without exception.
I don't like the term deadwood, very disrespectful to some of the players who have given a lot to the club. People may not like Lingard but he's scored some crucial goals for us but like some players he's just lost his way.

fish

I don't like the term deadwood, very disrespectful to some of the players who have given a lot to the club. People may not like Lingard but he's scored some crucial goals for us but like some players he's just lost his way.
Totally agree. Lingard might be regarded as a bell by some, but he scored the winner in an FA Cup Final! Only a handfull of players have achieved that at United. Mata is another one, done nothing but give 100% to the club since hes been here

Red00012

So basically people want Romero , Dalot , Smalling , Jones , Rojo , Periera , Lingard Sanchez and Mata all gone this summer.

If 2 More leave I think we will be doing well considering everything that’s going on and needing squad players albeit most of them are average/ poor players

Dante

Average bang
I'm leaning towards keeping the deadwood for next season.

In a normal season, we play about 60-odd games from August to May (10 months). Next season, we could have to squeeze in the same number from October to May (8 months). That will be followed by the Euros with almost no break. Our players will be shattered and we'll almost certainly pick up a lot of injuries.

I think it could be a good idea to keep the squad as big as possible. Our fringe players might not be world beaters, but it's better than picking up lots of injuries and having all our top players be knackered during the run-in as well as the start of the 2021-22 season.

Craig Ward

Selling center backs doesnt mean we only but center backs though.

And even if we only sold CB's - why cant we sign Sancho and another midfielder/forward? We wont get anywhere with the attitude of "we cant sell Lingard so we'll just have to play him" Just sign someone and dont play him. He's not good enough even for a rotational role. It's simple.

We have enough money to sign 3 or 4 players this summer.

Selling 3 is essential - but we can easily sell 6 players in this window if we were ruthless enough.

Rashford/Martial/James/Greenwood/Ighalo/Sancho for three positions doesnt seem thin anyway. Its cover for Fernandes we need.

So ideally if we sold:
Rojo/Smalling/Jones/Lingard/Mata/Sanchez

And signed:
Sancho/CB/Fernandes back up

The squad wouldnt be any less balanced than it is now AND we'd have much more quality than we do now.

We can basically sell 4 players off the bat without it even effecting our current matchday squad (Rojo/Smalling/Jones/Sanchez)
We have to sign a Fernandes back up - so that puts Lingard even further away from the x11 and hopefully the squad and Mata is so peripheral these days it doesnt matter if he stays or goes.

We can sell 6 players without it barely affecting the current squad. If laird and TFM do well in rotational roles you could also argue we could sell Dalot without it having any effect on incoming transfers. Big IF but Dalots done little to suggest he's got a big part to play (i'm happy to be proven wrong here)

We us fans have to stop being so narrow minded and limited in our visions for the club. City are spending, so are Chelsea. Arsenal will improve. We have to rotate the squad and continue the transition. We do that by getting players who dont have a future off the books and start signing new players who fit what ole is trying to do.

Logic like "We can only sign Sancho" is so negative.

Acole9

Outstanding
Can't understand why everyone wants rid of Mata. I get the lack of pace but he was never blessed with it anyway.

You don't need your whole team to be all about speed, this isn't Fifa Ultimate Team.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If Mata is happy to play a lot less then I'd keep him for quality in depth, good dressing room influence and nothing else.

We can still move on Pereira/Lingard/Chong (loan) alongside Rojo/Jones/Even Dalot. That's plenty of deadwood to turn to

Can't understand why everyone wants rid of Mata. I get the lack of pace but he was never blessed with it anyway.

You don't need your whole team to be all about speed, this isn't Fifa Ultimate Team.
I’m happy for Mata to stay another year, but think he will go, as he’s getting hardly any playing time now, and when he does they are all low key games, and I think Utd will be happy to let him go on a free. He deserves to play, and should probably go back to Spain for a couple of years.

Dan_F

Selling center backs doesnt mean we only but center backs though.

And even if we only sold CB's - why cant we sign Sancho and another midfielder/forward? We wont get anywhere with the attitude of "we cant sell Lingard so we'll just have to play him" Just sign someone and dont play him. He's not good enough even for a rotational role. It's simple.

We have enough money to sign 3 or 4 players this summer.

Selling 3 is essential - but we can easily sell 6 players in this window if we were ruthless enough.

Rashford/Martial/James/Greenwood/Ighalo/Sancho for three positions doesnt seem thin anyway. Its cover for Fernandes we need.

So ideally if we sold:
Rojo/Smalling/Jones/Lingard/Mata/Sanchez

And signed:
Sancho/CB/Fernandes back up

The squad wouldnt be any less balanced than it is now AND we'd have much more quality than we do now.

We can basically sell 4 players off the bat without it even effecting our current matchday squad (Rojo/Smalling/Jones/Sanchez)
We have to sign a Fernandes back up - so that puts Lingard even further away from the x11 and hopefully the squad and Mata is so peripheral these days it doesnt matter if he stays or goes.

We can sell 6 players without it barely affecting the current squad. If laird and TFM do well in rotational roles you could also argue we could sell Dalot without it having any effect on incoming transfers. Big IF but Dalots done little to suggest he's got a big part to play (i'm happy to be proven wrong here)

We us fans have to stop being so narrow minded and limited in our visions for the club. City are spending, so are Chelsea. Arsenal will improve. We have to rotate the squad and continue the transition. We do that by getting players who dont have a future off the books and start signing new players who fit what ole is trying to do.

Logic like "We can only sign Sancho" is so negative.
I appreciate the length you’ve gone to reply there. Chelsea have two years of funds available and sold heavily to fund it, and still haven’t spent anywhere near €120 million on one player. Man City have owners completely opposite to ours, willing to pump in money, and are spending £20-£40 million on players. Not €120 million.

We’re all guessing here, but I would be shocked if we signed more than 3, I’d be surprised if it was more than 2. Unless Sancho stays and then we can spread that money out further.

It’s not negative it’s just realistic, and also has no relevance on what we’re actually going to do. It’s not like if we’re all positive Woodward is going to see it and sign four players.

Alemar

Any rumors for other deadwoods?
A lot Of other rumours, in fact.
1. Bailly offered to AC Milan (they declined)
2. Roma may still reconsider decision not to purchase Smalling after their takeover
3. Man Utd open to listen to offers for Lingard
4. Everton interested in Dalot

Eire Red United

Wouldn’t accuse Lingard of being deadwood, lad always puts a shift in and I actually hope he gets back to his best and stays here. But Rojo and Jones most certainly are, they are stealing a living. Phil Jones has been here a decade and barely been fit the whole time.

DevilRed

I think Lingard is definitely staying. Two more years on his contract so not a chance we are selling him unless someone offers good money.

I believe we do need to get rid of a few centrebacks though. Rojo, Jones and Smalling will need to be sold this summer.

I think we will sign 2-3 players.

We sighed Maguire, AWB, James, Bruno and have Ighalo for 6 more months - so signed quite a lot of players over the last 12 months.

Sancho, a CB, and probably another midfielder.

croadyman

I think we will sign 2-3 players.

We sighed Maguire, AWB, James, Bruno and have Ighalo for 6 more months - so signed quite a lot of players over the last 12 months.

Sancho, a CB, and probably another midfielder.
The big question is who can we get at CB and in midfield if we are spending big on Sancho this summer

Jonno

I think it'll be 2 players.

Sancho +1

I think Ole is happy with his defence. We now have TFM filling in at LB/RB, we have Williams, we have Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe, Mengi - I expect to see Bailly & Mengi as our substitute defenders going forward

Midfield we could do with more, Fred seems to have dropped off a cliff since the re-start, McTomminay still has lots to learn but is showing he can play 25 games. I think we need a more more engine-type / box-to-box player.

croadyman

I think it'll be 2 players.

Sancho +1

I think Ole is happy with his defence. We now have TFM filling in at LB/RB, we have Williams, we have Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe, Mengi - I expect to see Bailly & Mengi as our substitute defenders going forward

Midfield we could do with more, Fred seems to have dropped off a cliff since the re-start, McTomminay still has lots to learn but is showing he can play 25 games. I think we need a more more engine-type / box-to-box player.
You don't think we could do with someone who could provide creative cover for Bruno then

Jonno

You don't think we could do with someone who could provide creative cover for Bruno then
Yeah actually, now you say it. He did burn out towards the end of this season, didn't he. I wonder if Pogba could play that role in Brunos absence, if we had another Pogba-like, deep, sitting player. It's a shame Mata's legs have completely gone, because 5 years ago he'd have done that job very well.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I’m happy for Mata to stay another year, but think he will go, as he’s getting hardly any playing time now, and when he does they are all low key games, and I think Utd will be happy to let him go on a free. He deserves to play, and should probably go back to Spain for a couple of years.
I don't disagree with any of that.

But it would seem that Ole and Mata have a good relationship - and that the former rates Mata highly as a "dressing room influence", i.e. as a "model professional" who might play a part in the development of younger teammates.

There has also been some talk about Mata being interested in a non-playing/coaching role once his contract expires.

He's a bit partial to Manchester United - as such - it seems. Which is nice. So, yeah - I'm not particularly bothered about him staying on as long as it's on well defined terms (so to speak).

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Smoke over Old Trafford! I think Ole and Woody have figured out what to do with all the deadwood. You guys demanded them being more ruthless after all:nervous:

Yes, I shamelessly stole the joke from someone in the Sancho thread.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sanchez was already the key man to get out.

Can't be certain on anyone else going.
We can all repeatedly list the same players who should go, but the same names are on the list year in year out.

With such a short window, I dare say we'll be disappointed, and potentially see 1 big signing in in, 1 development player, and maybe 1-2 more out max?

croadyman

Yeah actually, now you say it. He did burn out towards the end of this season, didn't he. I wonder if Pogba could play that role in Brunos absence, if we had another Pogba-like, deep, sitting player. It's a shame Mata's legs have completely gone, because 5 years ago he'd have done that job very well.
Who do you think we could get that is capable of playing that deep sitting player role then

croadyman

Sanchez was already the key man to get out.

Can't be certain on anyone else going.
We can all repeatedly list the same players who should go, but the same names are on the list year in year out.

With such a short window, I dare say we'll be disappointed, and potentially see 1 big signing in in, 1 development player, and maybe 1-2 more out max?
When you say development player I presume you are talking about these young CB's we are linked with rather than VDB

Alemar

Maybe Ole will start to play Mejbri next season, in a way he gradually integrated Greenwood this year. I believe potentially he may deputise both for Bruno and Pogba

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I have always thought we are crazy to be holding out for fees for a lot of the players We consider deadwood. I looked through contracts and wages over the remaining duration and i think we make some good money just from saving wages on a lot of them.

Phil jones has a 3 year contract left, wages 11.7m.

Rojo has 1 year left, 4.16m wages

Smalling has 2 years left, 13.25m wages

Lingard Has 1 year, 4.68m

Pereira has 3 years, 4.68m

Mata has 1 year, 8.32M

Romero(Not deadwood but likely to leave) has 1 year, 3.64M
Look at some of those contracts...:eek:

When you look at how many players Pep and Klopp were allowed to move on in their first few seasons its crazy to think what we ask Ole to do without refreshing the squad.

Charlie Foley

Totally agree. Lingard might be regarded as a bell by some, but he scored the winner in an FA Cup Final! Only a handfull of players have achieved that at United. Mata is another one, done nothing but give 100% to the club since hes been here
Also scored in the same cup final when we were losing!

I imagine someone in Spain or Italy would be in for him. The real question is wages.

croadyman

Maybe Ole will start to play Mejbri next season, in a way he gradually integrated Greenwood this year. I believe potentially he may deputise both for Bruno and Pogba
Still a bit too young I reckon and think there is a chance we still go for VDB and hope Grealish is still on the market next summer

Vivek92

I think the depth chart is becoming quite clear now. Helps that we know Ole will play 4-2-3-1 for better or worse.

GK: De Gea, Henderson, Grant Assuming we bring Henderson back for the sake of competition and Romero leaves as some papers have suggested.

DR: Wan-Bissaka, Fosu-Mensah TFM is clearly preferred to Dalot, so should get a chance in the rotation.
DC: Lindelof, Bailly No debate.
DC: Maguire, Tuanzebe You could make an argument for Smalling instead of Tuanzebe.
DL: Shaw, Williams No debate.

CM: Pogba, Fred Fred was doing well before the break. Deserves to be in the rotation.
CM: Matic, McTominay Both signed new contracts.

RW: Sancho, James If we sign Sancho.
CAM: Fernandes, Mata Mata just signed a new contract, so I do't think we're getting a shiny replacement. Doesn't have the legs to play wide.
LW: Rashford, Pereria I think Raiola was the final nail for Lingard, hence Ole testing Pereira on the left.

ST: Martial, Greenwood, Ighalo Our forward line is fairly fluid, but I get the impression Greenwood's long term future is in the middle.

Youth players to add depth: Laird, Mengi, Bernard, Galbraith, Levitt, Mellor

Loan candidates: Garner, Chong

------------------------

That leaves 6 clear-out candidates:
  1. Romero: Someone will snap him up for cheap - maybe one of the recently promoted sides
  2. Dalot: Everton heavily linked. He's the one who still holds decent value imo
  3. Jones: Hopefully Moyes will take him. Serie A sides also linked
  4. Smalling: Roma seem to have interest
  5. Rojo: He wants to go. Hopefully Estudiantes stump up the cash for a permanent switch
  6. Lingard: Hopefully Moyes will take him, or a newly promoted side

Superunknown

When you look at how many players Pep and Klopp were allowed to move on in their first few seasons its crazy to think what we ask Ole to do without refreshing the squad.
Those numbers are eyewatering. It's not necessarily that we haven't got numbers in our squad, it's that these are all players that we could be doing without. Not really getting any value for that money. Just Jones and Smalling's combined wages is about £25million. :eek:

This side of things needs to be much smarter going forward.

Jezpeza

I know! Dont understand why we didnt take the 13m for smalling, combined with his remaining wages its worth 26 million. No use for Him and wont be a queue of buyers.